Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

The "official" housing bubble thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
This bubble sucks....
Old 04-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARM customers, Welcome to the ADJUSTMENT year.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Go Giants

Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
We're currently selling our house in Maryland. A couple of months ago, I thought we would sell our townhome for $350K. That's the way the market was looking at that time. Well, when we met our real estate agent, he recommended that we list it at $319,900, and it's been on the market for about two weeks. Granted, last weekend was Easter, we're hoping to have more attention this weekend. I'm very stubborn, and I would hate to lower the price. That affects our down payment when we move to Jacksonville. The good thing is that when we move to Jacksonville, FL in June, we'll have hopefully $63K to put down on our next house, and I don't want a house much over $215K. There are a ton of houses on the market though in Jacksonville.

http://www2.helpusell.com/GerriWalke...X?LID=20458315 <------Shameless Plug
Old 04-19-2006, 06:35 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Examples from Motown:

My real estate agent told me of a home in a nearby sub which was originally listed at $585,000 and after nine months the sellers caved because they were relocating -- sold at $410,000.

A colleague of mine is going through a nasty divorce and is listing his home below appraisal: $850,000 and it's worth every penny - already said the first bid, even if it is within 100k of his asking price he's gonna hit.

Granted, few markets are as dreary as Metro Detroit because of the auto related meltdown, but nontheless is a harbinger of the market coming...
Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whiskers
So if I go overseas for a few years should I sell my house and hope that the bubble bursts, or rent it out?

My situation exactly. I have decided to sell it, is on the market now and is getting some good foot traffic but no offers yet (only been on a week so not bad).

I know I can take the money I will get by selling and make a minimal return on investment by putting it in a CD ladder for the few years I will be overseas. I am not positive that I will make anything if I rent it out, especially considering in this market I can't rent it for more than my mortgage.

here is another
Old 04-21-2006, 10:20 AM
misanthropist

I will be upside down for a few years, but I am more than willing to hold on to my current place and wait for the market to turn up again, I am in it long term and not worried about making 4-5% a year on the money I could save instead.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

^^ Assessing the risk and evaluating possibillities. Thats good thinking. Just make sure you dont choose an ARM that will adjust before you plan to leave the place.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:35 AM
misanthropist

I think mostly you need to make a realistic judgement about your location, if there is lots of growth happening, or current plans to revitalize an area, then hold on to it if you can afford to. Stable job areas with large growth just don't seem like they would go negative (or at least for very long)

If it is an established area with little change likely or proposed, then your chances of making a significant profit aren't very good and possible downturn wouldn't be unreasonable.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Blah!!!!!!! Stupid housing market!

OK, so we received an offer on our house. Today is Thursday. We're going to wait until Monday to give him an answer. We plan on having an open house this weekend to see if we can get any other offers. Hopefully we can, and we can play each person off of eachother.

The offer came in, and he's giving us our asking price, but with $7,000 in closing help. I guess that was somewhat expected, but it still hurts. We paid $230,000 for our townhome, and we're selling it for $319,900. After commission and closing costs, we're going to be netting roughly $63,000. That is a far cry from the $120,000 I thought we'd make at the beginning of the year with the housing prices going up. I know it's a buyer's market now, but still, it hurts.

Oh well. we're probably going to be putting down only 20% on a house not more expensive than $230,000 in Jacksonville, FL. With the rest of the money, we're going to invest it, save for closing costs on our new house, buy some new furniture, and take and put 20% down on my next 2006 Acura TL. I guess there is a silver lining to every cloud!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

^^ sell now, before your next offer is under $300k
Old 04-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Outnumbered at home

^^^ well congrats on selling it. Ours is still on the market (only been 2 weeks). Still a nice profit for you

Where are you located, if I may be so bold
Old 04-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by zamo
^^ sell now, before your next offer is under $300k
LOL, we won't accept the offer if it is anything under what we already got.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by 95gt
^^^ well congrats on selling it. Ours is still on the market (only been 2 weeks). Still a nice profit for you

Where are you located, if I may be so bold
Well, we haven't sold it yet, but at least we got an offer. This guy sounds like a good, strong buyer too.

Yeah, the money we're going to be making is good, but in the beginning of the year, when we originally thought we would sell the house ourselves, and we were looking at a profit of roughly $120,000, and a mortgage payment in Jacksonville of about $750/month, it kind of sucks. Thanks to you guys, I told myself to suck it up, enjoy life, and relax about the money. It will come. No sense worrying yourself to death about it.

Now, I just want to get that Acura TL. God, I can't wait.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:58 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

You made out very well IMO; I wouldnt feel bad. People often have incorrect perceptions of what their house is worth because they only look at the listing prices of other houses in the area. Listing prices do not equal selling prices. Not to mention every house is unique in some way. This is always the case and isnt on its own a sign of a bad housing market.

So I'm not sure why you would have thought your house was worth so much more at the beginning of the year, but if its just from looking at selling prices in your area, this isnt accurate.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by fdl
You made out very well IMO; I wouldnt feel bad. People often have incorrect perceptions of what their house is worth because they only look at the listing prices of other houses in the area. Listing prices do not equal selling prices. Not to mention every house is unique in some way. This is always the case and isnt on its own a sign of a bad housing market.

So I'm not sure why you would have thought your house was worth so much more at the beginning of the year, but if its just from looking at selling prices in your area, this isnt accurate.
Yeah, you're right. I was looking at potential selling prices of our house. The market had been steadily going up. Two houses in our neighborhood were listed at $340,000 about two months before we put our house on the market. One of those houses has not sold (LMFAO!), and the other house was reduced to our selling price, which was $319,900. I guess we should be happy that we received our asking price!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:18 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Well, we haven't sold it yet, but at least we got an offer. This guy sounds like a good, strong buyer too.

Yeah, the money we're going to be making is good, but in the beginning of the year, when we originally thought we would sell the house ourselves, and we were looking at a profit of roughly $120,000, and a mortgage payment in Jacksonville of about $750/month, it kind of sucks. Thanks to you guys, I told myself to suck it up, enjoy life, and relax about the money. It will come. No sense worrying yourself to death about it.

Now, I just want to get that Acura TL. God, I can't wait.
:shakehead If you're already looking at a higher mortgage than you planned, are you sure you want to tie yourself to a ~$500/mo payment on a car? If your current car is in decent condition, I'd hold on to it a bit longer.

But still, congrats on the offer and hope closing goes smooth.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by moeronn
:shakehead If you're already looking at a higher mortgage than you planned, are you sure you want to tie yourself to a ~$500/mo payment on a car? If your current car is in decent condition, I'd hold on to it a bit longer.

But still, congrats on the offer and hope closing goes smooth.
I see what you're saying. But I also believe you only live once, and you should get what you want, as long as it's within limits. This is certainly within our limits. If we combined both of our salaries and not saved for retirement, we probably could have afforded a $500,000 house. That monthly payment at 6.5% is $3,160.34 per month, within our range. But we choose to downgrade and invest the difference.

I think we're sitting pretty!
Old 05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

OK, so here goes. Last Wenesday, we received the first offer on our house. They are giving us full price ($319,900), but initially asked for $7,000 in closing help. We had open houses this weekend, and received another offer. They are just as strong of a buyer than the first person (who is an agent), but is asking for two grand LESS in closing help ($5,000 vice $7,000). We have two more people coming to see the place this afternoon, as I type. We were planning on making a decision now, but what if some buyer puts in a stronger offer tonight?

They would have to put in an offer tonight because we plan on making a decision tomorrow morning (or tonight if they don't put in an offer). I'm hoping that one of those people puts in an offer of full price with no closing help. That would be sweet. We're looking to close at the end of May, and move to Jacksonville on June 1st.

Does anyone have any experience with military moves? We experienced this coming up to Maryland from Florida, and we had a couple of things stolen, and some thigns were damaged. We were college students back then, but now we have more significant assets/stuff/furniture. Is there anything we can do to mitigate crap being stolen? If some things are stolen, what do we have to do? Should I make a list of everything we have and its approximate value?

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 05-01-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

OK, so here goes. Last Wenesday, we received the first offer on our house. They are giving us full price ($319,900), but initially asked for $7,000 in closing help. We had open houses this weekend, and received another offer. They are just as strong of a buyer than the first person (who is an agent), but is asking for two grand LESS in closing help ($5,000 vice $7,000). We have two more people coming to see the place this afternoon, as I type. We were planning on making a decision now, but what if some buyer puts in a stronger offer tonight?

They would have to put in an offer tonight because we plan on making a decision tomorrow morning (or tonight if they don't put in an offer). I'm hoping that one of those people puts in an offer of full price with no closing help. That would be sweet. We're looking to close at the end of May, and move to Jacksonville on June 1st.

Does anyone have any experience with military moves? We experienced this coming up to Maryland from Florida, and we had a couple of things stolen, and some thigns were damaged. We were college students back then, but now we have more significant assets/stuff/furniture. Is there anything we can do to mitigate crap being stolen? If some things are stolen, what do we have to do? Should I make a list of everything we have and its approximate value?
We are accepting the second offer that came in. They are only asking for $5,000 in closing help. It's a mother and her son. The mother is a clerk for the USPS and the son is a nurse. I think they they are going to live together, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, last night, we originally accepted the first offer, which this guy was a real estate agent. After verbally agreeing to reduce the closing help he wanted from $7,000 to $5,000, he then came back this morning and wanted $6,000. I said no effing way, he's playing games with us, and we'll reject him.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Outnumbered at home

We are accepting the second offer that came in. They are only asking for $5,000 in closing help. It's a mother and her son. The mother is a clerk for the USPS and the son is a nurse. I think they they are going to live together, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, last night, we originally accepted the first offer, which this guy was a real estate agent. After verbally agreeing to reduce the closing help he wanted from $7,000 to $5,000, he then came back this morning and wanted $6,000. I said no effing way, he's playing games with us, and we'll reject him.

Hey that is great you have a few offers to choose from. Just go with the mom and son and call it a day. No need to deal with any unecessary crap.

As for your move, I am also moving using the Govt, and it is a crap shoot. As 99% of the work is done by contracted companies there is not much you can do to mitigate your risk.

Just make sure you do all the normal.

1) keep all personal valuables on your person and ship by yourself or bring it with you when you make the move(jewlery/cash/etc).

2) If they are packing you out try and have someone in every room watching over them to look for damage or any shady business (for example they should pack valuable items at the bottom of a box, this lessens the risk that they will just pop the top and take it from the top).

Other than that you can not do much because you can't be everywhere at once. Good luck man.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Hey that is great you have a few offers to choose from. Just go with the mom and son and call it a day. No need to deal with any unecessary crap.

As for your move, I am also moving using the Govt, and it is a crap shoot. As 99% of the work is done by contracted companies there is not much you can do to mitigate your risk.

Just make sure you do all the normal.

1) keep all personal valuables on your person and ship by yourself or bring it with you when you make the move(jewlery/cash/etc).

2) If they are packing you out try and have someone in every room watching over them to look for damage or any shady business (for example they should pack valuable items at the bottom of a box, this lessens the risk that they will just pop the top and take it from the top).

Other than that you can not do much because you can't be everywhere at once. Good luck man.
Hey thanks man. My wife is a little worried about these new people. They seem to be a strong buyer, but *why* is the son in on the deal? I know that the mother could not afford this house on her own, and neither could he. But together, they're pretty strong. I'm just worried that our house is not going to appraise for the asking price, and that their loan will get turned down. We will know in a few weeks.

May I ask where you are moving to?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Outnumbered at home

Hey thanks man. My wife is a little worried about these new people. They seem to be a strong buyer, but *why* is the son in on the deal? I know that the mother could not afford this house on her own, and neither could he. But together, they're pretty strong. I'm just worried that our house is not going to appraise for the asking price, and that their loan will get turned down. We will know in a few weeks.

May I ask where you are moving to?

I would be shocked if the appraisal came in low (I am assuming your price is not completely out of left field in relation to local places that have sold). Wouldn't even worry, were the mom and son preapproved already? If so no worries, let the bank worry about that.

Actually moving over to England for a few years.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I would be shocked if the appraisal came in low (I am assuming your price is not completely out of left field in relation to local places that have sold). Wouldn't even worry, were the mom and son preapproved already? If so no worries, let the bank worry about that.

Actually moving over to England for a few years.
Interesting. Yeah, they were preapproved. The problem was, I don't know with 100% certainty if they knew what the money payment would be. At 7% interest, with no money down, they're looking at a monthly payment of roughly $2123 . That's a lot of dough. I hope they realize that.

If this doesn't go through, my wife is going to kill me and I'd never hear the end of it. This is because my wife wanted to go with the first guy (the real estate agent), but he was already playing games. I told my agent to go with the second person before I talked with my wife, and I convinced her. Again, if this falls through, and we have to stay in Maryland to close another month, I won't get sex for about three years .

The first guy asked for $7,000 in closing help. We were initially going to go with him because he was our first offer and he seemed like a strong buyer. Our agent spoke with his lender, and the lender said the guy could close in 21 days. Then the secon offer came in, and it was better. We asked the first guy, verbally, if he would accept a drop in the closing help, and he agreed to $5,000, matching the other offer. Well, after we said we would go with him, he wanted to ratify the contract and ask for $6,000 in closing help. Our agent said this was HIGHLY unprofessional, and who knows what he would do if the appraisal came in low or if there was something wrong with the house.

Something the second offer has is MOTIVATION. They are a first-time homebuyer, so they want the home. They know that, and we know it. For us, I believe they are the stronger offer.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Focus on the sale and let the buyers get around the payment
Old 05-02-2006, 02:43 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

If the deal falls through you can still go back to the other guy.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by fdl
If the deal falls through you can still go back to the other guy.
Nope. He is an investor. He would have moved on at that point. Even if we did go back to him, he is a real estate agent and knows we came crawling back to him. We would then ask for $10,000 in closing help.

No thanks.

LMFAO. He left a written message on our door that read:

"Hello James and Erica,
I would like to start with an apology to you. I wasn't trying to make things hard I was just being a realtor and sometimes I forget that's not what it's all about. I always say what is meant to be will be. And this home is meant to be for me and Shirley and our daughter.
I hope that you can fogive me for being a Realtor, and not just a person who loves this home. If you can fogive me, let's close this deal and move forward with our lives. My loan is in order so we can close as soon as you like. Note: I'll also give (5 days free rent back). So once again forgive me James and Erica, hope we can get this done.

P.S. I'll still bring the ice cream and cake. Oh, I'll also bring the champagne!
Thanks for reading
Mr. Scummy Real Estate Agent"
Old 05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
I feel the need...

Welcome to the dead zone

Real estate survival guide: The great housing bubble has finally started to deflate, and the fall will be harder in some markets than others.

By Shawn Tully, FORTUNE senior writer
May 4, 2006: 2:15 PM EDT

NEW YORK (FORTUNE) - The stories keep piling up. In many once-sizzling markets around the country, accounts of dropping list prices have replaced tales of waiting lists for unbuilt condos and bidding wars over humdrum three-bedroom colonials.

The message is clear. Five years of superheated price gains rescued America from stock market collapse, put billions in consumers' pockets, and ignited a building boom that bolstered the nation's economy. (To relive the frenzy, see "Riding the Boom.") But it's over. The great housing bubble has finally started to deflate.

These markets are already showing the signs of distress that will soon spread to the rest of the bubble zone. As interest rates rise, more homes are becoming unaffordable. Developers are offering discounts and incentives, and buyers are biding their time. As the standoff hardens, sales will keep falling. The downward spiral will make the former boomtowns Dead Zones. (See the cities)
Danger zones

These cities also saw prices soar, but so far their overheated markets are still strong. They present a mixed picture: Chicago and Seattle are in only moderate danger, while L.A., New York, Oakland, and San Francisco are headed for a steep fall. The problem: fast-rising inventories of unsold homes. To make matters worse, builders keep pouring new units onto the market. (See the cities)
Safe havens

These cities between the coasts completely escaped bubblemania. Their housing prices have been rising at 3% to 7% a year, far below the double-digit gains in the hot markets. The reason: Land is cheap and plentiful, and investors are relatively rare, so the supply of new housing has kept pace with the demand even where job growth is strong, as it is now in Texas. (See the cities)

You won't find that news in broad national statistics or the upbeat comments from the real estate industry. Thelatest official figures, for example, show both new and existing home sales rising in March, a mixed bag on prices - and a record number of new homes on the market.

But FORTUNE's on-the-ground reporting - in what up to now have been some of the nation's hottest areas - paints a very different picture: Contracts are being canceled, deals are drying up, prices are starting to drop. The psychology is shifting even as thousands of new homes and condos join the for-sale listings each day - so the downward pressure will only get worse.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/03/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
I think we can all agree - the real estate bubble is finally deflating...
Old 05-05-2006, 03:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Nope. He is an investor. He would have moved on at that point. Even if we did go back to him, he is a real estate agent and knows we came crawling back to him. We would then ask for $10,000 in closing help.

No thanks.

LMFAO. He left a written message on our door that read:

"Hello James and Erica,
I would like to start with an apology to you. I wasn't trying to make things hard I was just being a realtor and sometimes I forget that's not what it's all about. I always say what is meant to be will be. And this home is meant to be for me and Shirley and our daughter.
I hope that you can fogive me for being a Realtor, and not just a person who loves this home. If you can fogive me, let's close this deal and move forward with our lives. My loan is in order so we can close as soon as you like. Note: I'll also give (5 days free rent back). So once again forgive me James and Erica, hope we can get this done.

P.S. I'll still bring the ice cream and cake. Oh, I'll also bring the champagne!
Thanks for reading
Mr. Scummy Real Estate Agent"
If you are worried about the deal closing or not, ask for a copy of the Approval for the the loan. A pre-approval is not really anything like an actual approval with conditions, so I wouldn't rely on a pre-approval. Also, it seems like the "scummy" realtor really likes the house, and also since he does work with purchases, he should be able to get the loan funded and the deal closed...if you decide you want to sell it to him.

As far as the property being appraised for its value, you can check out www.zillow.com, and it will give you an estimate of how much your house is worth . It won't be on the dot, but it will give you a close ballpark range on where the actual appraisal should gauge in at. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I feel the need...

Toll Brothers 2nd-Qtr Home Orders Fall 33% on Demand

By Kathleen M. Howley
May 5 (Bloomberg) -- Toll Brothers Inc., the largest U.S.
builder of luxury houses, said fiscal second-quarter orders fell
33 percent as customers waited to see whether a glut of homes on
the market would lead to lower prices.
Orders for the period ended April 30 fell to 2,076 from
3,120 a year earlier, Horsham, Pennsylvania-based Toll said today
in a statement. It was the second consecutive decline following
10 quarters of increases for the builder, whose homes cost triple
the national average.
Rising mortgage rates and record prices have chilled demand
at the height of the so-called spring selling season,
traditionally the busiest time for builders. Hovnanian
Enterprises Inc., the largest builder in New Jersey, said on May
1 that orders for the quarter ended April 30 plunged 20 percent.
``Prices are higher and interest rates are higher -- those
are the two limiting factors,'' Bernard Markstein, director of
forecasting for the National Association of Home Builders, said
before Toll's report was released. ``We're expecting the market
to simmer down, not fall off a cliff.''
U.S. sales of new homes this year probably will drop 12
percent to 1.13 million after reaching a record 1.28 million in
2005, Markstein said. The last sales decline was 1999 when new-
house purchases fell 1.1 percent.
Prices are starting to ease. The median U.S. price of a new
home was $224,200 in March, according to the Commerce Department.
That's down from a record $243,900 in October.
The average U.S. rate for a 30-year fixed mortgage likely
will increase to 6.5 percent in 2006, the highest since 2002,
Markstein said. Last year, the rate was 5.9 percent.

Sales, Backlog

A preliminary tally showed homebuilding revenue, excluding
condominiums and joint ventures, increased 14 percent to $1.4
billion on the sale of houses ordered during last year's real
estate boom. Toll sold 2,063 homes in the quarter, an increase of
7.9 percent from a year earlier. The backlog of houses ordered
and not yet delivered was 8,119 units, valued at $5.65 billion,
down from 8,442 units valued at $5.77 billion.
``We believe the excess supply on the market is a short-term
phenomenon,'' Robert Toll, the company's chairman and chief
executive officer, said in the statement.
The number of homes on the market increased as investors
tried to sell properties or canceled contracts in mid-
construction, the executive said. Prices on these speculative
homes were being ``aggressively discounted,'' he said.

Cancellations

Demand from ordinary buyers eased because of ``worries about
the direction of home prices,'' he said.
The company's cancellation rate in the quarter was 8.5
percent, compared with its historic average of 7 percent, Toll
said.
Shares of Toll fell 92 cents, or 3 percent, to $29.64
yesterday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The
company split its stock 2-for-1 on July 8 after a gain of 149
percent in the previous 12 months.
Toll, the sixth-largest U.S. builder by stock market value,
typically issues preliminary revenue figures in advance of its
earnings report, scheduled for May 23.

source: bloomberg
A good time to be in the market if your are upgrading!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by aznbo187
If you are worried about the deal closing or not, ask for a copy of the Approval for the the loan. A pre-approval is not really anything like an actual approval with conditions, so I wouldn't rely on a pre-approval. Also, it seems like the "scummy" realtor really likes the house, and also since he does work with purchases, he should be able to get the loan funded and the deal closed...if you decide you want to sell it to him.

As far as the property being appraised for its value, you can check out www.zillow.com, and it will give you an estimate of how much your house is worth . It won't be on the dot, but it will give you a close ballpark range on where the actual appraisal should gauge in at. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Yeah, I checked out zillow, and it's horribly wrong. I guess the information is not there. Oh well.

Much to my surprise, the "scummy" real estate agent that wants to buy our place that put the first offer in wants to stick around as the back-up. I was surprised. That just means that if the first buyer falls through (the second offer), then the real estate agent will rape us if he wants the house. Oh well.

Now the only thing that awaits us is the appraisal and home inspection.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Banned

50-year mortgage hits the market

Lenders have begun offering a half-century home loan as incentive in face of record-high home prices, rising interest rates, report says.
May 10, 2006: 9:19 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - As home prices and interest rates keep rising, lenders have figured out a way to keep the dream alive for millions of people who want to own their own home. It's called the 50-year mortgage.

According to a report Wednesday in USA Today, a handful of small lenders have begun offering 50-year adjustable-rate loans to buyers who need to keep payments low in the current economic environment.

Most banks already offer 40-year mortgages, which account for about 5 percent of all home loans, the report said.

"One of the biggest things in California is the high costs of homes. With rates going up, there's demand from customers (for) longer loans," Alex Diaz Jr., with Statewide Bancorp in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., was quoted in the report as saying.

Statewide, which introduced its 50-year loan in March, has already received about 220 applications, Diaz said in the report.

The 50-year mortgage also signals that the cooling real estate market is heating up competition among lenders, the newspaper said.

"Mortgage lenders are getting craftier to get the attention of consumers," Anthony Hsieh, CEO of LendingTree, told the newspaper. However, he added that consumers first need to understand the product.

Two issues to keep in mind: A borrower with the 50-year mortgage builds equity very slowly. And because rates on the loans are adjustable, a borrower's monthly payments could rise, the report said.

Mortgage experts caution that the 50-year mortgage is best-suited for those who plan to stay in their home for about five years, while the loan's interest rate remains fixed, the report said.

"If you're going to be there for more than five years, you're gambling," Marc Savitt of the consumer protection committee for the National Association of Mortgage Brokers told the newspaper. "You don't know what interest rates are going to be. I wouldn't do it."
50 years...

I bet this is for people in California so they can refinance instead of default their interest only mortgages.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I beleive in the UK they have 100 year mortgages.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PistonFan
Yes, it's definitely a buyers market now... No one should be offering asking price... 10% off the asking price might not be a good place to start either (at least in my area)...

Buddy of mine had his house listed at $550K. Got an offer for $470, but they came up to $495K. Before the P&S could be signed, the buyer recinded their offer as the found another place.

W/ rising interest rates, high energy costs, the US dollar in the crapper (have you see gold prices lately ?? ), and the stock market back to record highs, I'm thinking there still a way to go before we hit bottom on some houseing markets.

My brother is thinking about pulling 100% out of stocks (avoid the higher risk) and keeping the money in CD's or some mutual funds.

Once the mortgage rates hit 7% things will get VERY interesting
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PistonFan

How is that?

If you are upgrading, that means you have to sell your house first. So you'll take the hit on the sale and get the benefit on the buy. That's a washout.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mamboking
How is that?

If you are upgrading, that means you have to sell your house first. So you'll take the hit on the sale and get the benefit on the buy. That's a washout.

Not if the upgraded house drops more than your current house, which should be the case.

i.e. You want to sell your 300k house to buy a 600k house. Both drop 10%. so you sell at $270 and buy at $540k. So you saved 30K after all is said an done. Not to mention you get to pay less in real estate fees when you sell.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Not if the upgraded house drops more than your current house, which should be the case.

i.e. You want to sell your 300k house to buy a 600k house. Both drop 10%. so you sell at $270 and buy at $540k. So you saved 30K after all is said an done. Not to mention you get to pay less in real estate fees when you sell.

But didn't you just lose $30K in equity using that scenario?

$30K in equity > $30K larger mortgage paid over 30 years
Old 05-10-2006, 02:20 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Silver™
But didn't you just lose $30K in equity using that scenario?

$30K in equity > $30K larger mortgage paid over 30 years
Do you really want to get into this again?

The assumption is that prices will eventually go up again, and ultimately you will have gained substantially in equity, and done so at an opportune time. i.e. When prices are back up you made a 60k increase on your 540k property vs a 30k increase you would have made on the 270k property. This of course assumes the homes rise and fall at equal percentages.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Do you really want to get into this again?

No, I thought you gave up on your theory that falling home prices are good for everyone.

Again, the goal of every homeowner is to build up equity, not lose it.

The assumption is that prices will eventually go up again, and ultimately you will have gained substantially in equity, and done so at an opportune time. i.e. When prices are back up you made a 60k increase on your 540k property vs a 30k increase you would have made on the 270k property.

Lose $30K on my old house when prices go down 10% and make $60K when my new house appreciates 12% over the next few years. And end up with $30K in the bank or...

Take my $30K in equity from my first house and apply it towards my new house and if that goes up 12% over the next few years I end up with $90K in equity.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Go Giants

Hey housing nerds..... If we sell our house and don't buy another property for a few years, is there something called a asset tax or something like that?

Quick Reply: The "official" housing bubble thread