Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Integra 24K+ units & 40% of sales in premium compact class!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 04:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,596 Likes on 960 Posts
24K+ units & 40% of sales in premium compact class!

Integra did not receive a warm welcome on social media platforms when Acura revealed the first look! Later, when the model came to the market, people again started bashing the design, HP, similarities to Civic and $6-$7K price difference. The bashing and negativity did not stop here....Once again, people started criticizing Acura for pricing the ITS for $50K earlier this year.

The general feedback:
- It's too expensive
- It's too similar to Civic and CTR but $5-$6K more (why?)
- It's not as premium as Germans
- It's not fast enough - 0-60 is slower than A3 or S3
- It does not have Homelink, how can this be possible for a premium brand (lol)
- The list goes on....

Now my question is: Why Integra is such big success for Acura? It's beating the competitions by a big margin...It's not a joke when you review the numbers below.
Let's look at the facts YTD:
Audi A3/S3/RS3: 10,600 units
BMW 2 Series: 7,300 units
Cadillac CT4: 7,300 units
C Class = no data yet
Feel free to add more models if you want here in this segment.

Acura Integra: 24,800 units! A extract of Acura's recent press release:
  • Integra sales top 24,000 units in first 9 months with nearly three times the retail sales of nearest competitor.
  • Integra captures an incredible 40% of sales in premium compact class, creating the vast majority of the segment’s growth.

I want to hear your thoughts about the mega success of Integra in this competitive market? "Purists" and "True Enthusiasts" are most welcome to participate as well

Happy weekend and let’s keep it professional and clean please!

Last edited by Tony Pac; 10-06-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Integra did not receive a warm welcome on social media platforms when Acura revealed the first look! Later, when the model came to the market, people again started bashing the design, HP, similarities to Civic and $6-$7K price difference. The bashing and negativity did not stop here....Once again, people started criticizing Acura for pricing the ITS for $50K earlier this year.

The general feedback:
- It's too expensive
- It's too similar to Civic and CTR but $5-$6K more (why?)
- It's not as premium as Germans
- It's not fast enough - 0-60 is slower than A3 or S3
- It does not have Homelink, how can this be possible for a premium brand (lol)
- The list goes on....

Now my question is: Why Integra is such big success for Acura? It's beating the competitions by a big margin...It's not a joke when you review the numbers below.
Let's look at the facts YTD:
Audi A3/S3/RS3: 10,600 units
BMW 2 Series: 7,300 units
Cadillac CT4: 7,300 units
C Class = no data yet
Feel free to add more models if you want here in this segment.

Acura Integra: 24,800 units! A extract of Acura's recent press release:
  • Integra sales top 24,000 units in first 9 months with nearly three times the retail sales of nearest competitor.
  • Integra captures an incredible 40% of sales in premium compact class, creating the vast majority of the segment’s growth.

I want to hear your thoughts about the mega success of Integra in this competitive market? "Purists" and "True Enthusiasts" are most welcome to participate as well

Happy weekend and let’s keep it professional and clean please!
It's the same reason why Spirit and Frontier and Allegiant are so popular; it's so much cheaper than the competition. It's the same reason why the ILX sells surprisingly well even though it was the least premium car in the premium segemnt. I've always said that the biggest knock on the Integra is that the Civic exists. The Civic is really the closest competitor for the Integra because it's so similar, and none of the other competitors comes anywhere close when it comes to bang for the buck. Luckily for Acura, it seems like Honda can't make enough Civics because they're flying off the lots at sticker (or over sticker). Hence, people (like I was) are "forced" into the Integra when they probably would have bought a Civic. But for Honda, that's a good thing. Even if it's not a fully incremental sale, a more profitable unit cannibalizing a less profitable unit is still good.

One thing that I will say is that this product is proof that Acura is not a "performance brand", no matter how much Jon Ikeda wants to claim that it is. The fact that they have a sales hit that isn't a particular sporty car (it's got a CVT and a 7s 0-60 time) is proof that Acura is still playing for volume in segments it knows how to compete in. What they do best is being Honda Plus, and it shows.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-06-2023 at 07:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (10-07-2023), lauren01 (10-07-2023), Tony Pac (10-06-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
40% is pretty impressive. My thoughts are as follows:
-Integra being a pretty much what most buyers consider a "new" model since the nameplate was out of production forever prior to dusting it off. There was limited production initially so the early buyers waiting for it probably built up a higher than normal demand. Something you wont see in 2025 and later when the early integra buyers have secured their cars.
-Despite performance and lack of some basic premium features it has a sporty styling which is arguably more appealing. Most of the germans haven't had much change to styling year to year or even generation to generation.

Regardless, if they keep up the momentum I would expect some upgrades in features and possibly (hopefully) a coupe.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (10-10-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jhb31
40% is pretty impressive. My thoughts are as follows:
-Integra being a pretty much what most buyers consider a "new" model since the nameplate was out of production forever prior to dusting it off. There was limited production initially so the early buyers waiting for it probably built up a higher than normal demand. Something you wont see in 2025 and later when the early integra buyers have secured their cars.
-Despite performance and lack of some basic premium features it has a sporty styling which is arguably more appealing. Most of the germans haven't had much change to styling year to year or even generation to generation.

Regardless, if they keep up the momentum I would expect some upgrades in features and possibly (hopefully) a coupe.
For a mid cycle refresh, the two things that would really address most of the real complaints about the car:
1) More sound deadening. As is the car is easily the loudest car in its class, and no better than most mainstream compacts.
2) Lux up the rear passenger space. Just small things like air vents, usb ports, and an extra piece of soft touch material on the door panel will go a long way.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Almost certain a brand new ITS is in my future. This hits all the notes on probably my last pure gas vehicle
Tony Pac (10-10-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 09:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by evident
Almost certain a brand new ITS is in my future. This hits all the notes on probably my last pure gas vehicle
ITS is definitely a great car. Sales numbers don’t lie. After a year, the car has proved many reviewers and journalists wrong! People are paying $5-$7 more to get Integra over a Civic. Although, Civic and CTR are also awesome cars.
Unfortunately, I won’t be able to get one as the car is manual and I am not ready to drive in Montreal traffic, unless I buy it as a 3rd car
Old 10-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

Honda just announced that they're bringing the Civic Hybrid (e:HEV) to the US next year. I know Acura previously said the next step to electrification is with full BEVs, but it shouldn't be hard to fit that powertrain into the Integra considering it's so similar. If they offer a hybrid Integra, I imagine that would sell like hotcakes, especially to the crowd that's already fine with the CVT version. It'd be a little slower, but let's be honest, the CVT Integra isn't a particularly quick car to begin with, and most owners probably wouldn't notice or care. I don't think any other car in its class offers a hybrid version, does it?
Old 10-19-2023, 09:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Yes just read the news! It doesn’t mention Acura for now but it shouldn’t be difficult to bring it to Integra.

I have said it before and will say again, Acura didn’t do a good job by not keeping their hybrid MDX. Huge mistake.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 1,245 Likes on 903 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Honda just announced that they're bringing the Civic Hybrid (e:HEV) to the US next year. I know Acura previously said the next step to electrification is with full BEVs, but it shouldn't be hard to fit that powertrain into the Integra considering it's so similar. If they offer a hybrid Integra, I imagine that would sell like hotcakes, especially to the crowd that's already fine with the CVT version. It'd be a little slower, but let's be honest, the CVT Integra isn't a particularly quick car to begin with, and most owners probably wouldn't notice or care. I don't think any other car in its class offers a hybrid version, does it?
I don't think so. Even the Germans are using mild hybrids with varying degrees of success: BMW has done ok while Mercedes has been a complete sh*tshow!
Old 10-23-2023, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Integra sells because it looks nice, is practical, can seat adults in the rear, and (for non-Type S) is priced right. And for enthusiasts, there’s the Type S.

Having owned now for three months, I can tell you how easy it is to drive this car in a way that’s fun. Really enjoying the car even though I’m somewhat out of the honeymoon period now. Could use AWD, but that was obviously not a deal breaker for me.
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
ELIN (10-23-2023), ESHBG (10-23-2023), godfather2 (10-23-2023), JM2010 SH-AWD (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes just read the news! It doesn’t mention Acura for now but it shouldn’t be difficult to bring it to Integra.

I have said it before and will say again, Acura didn’t do a good job by not keeping their hybrid MDX. Huge mistake.
As an owner of said mdx hybrid I 1000% agree. They should have just kept it for another generation and it would have been a hit. It was barely marketed
ESHBG (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 10:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by evident
As an owner of said mdx hybrid I 1000% agree. They should have just kept it for another generation and it would have been a hit. It was barely marketed
Correct! I would love to ask this question from Acura and get an honest answer and not a bs one. Why not bring the hybrid to the entire lineup until the EVs are ready. imagine, MDX, RDX and TLX with the hybrid version
I test drove the Hybrid MDX once and it's smooth and beautiful. I have never read or see any negative comment from hybrid MDX owner...always positive.