USB - not communicating with car or charging phone

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB - not communicating with car or charging phone

Ok. Total first world problem here, but the non-fix from Acura is MADDENING! I have a 2013 Acura ILX Tech; I bought it used 2.5 years ago.

2 years ago, the USB connector stopped working - the car and iPhone won’t talk to each other. “Pandora Error” was an error messsge I received back then. Still under warranty, the dealership fixed the problem by replacing the usb connector. And it worked just fine .. for awhile until it didn’t. I believe they then replaced the same part again, and again, it worked. Then, about 6 months ago, the problem began again and this time, the phone isn’t charging either. Back to the dealer I went and they fixed again - but, it’s not fixed.

I was initialy told they they weren’t able to replicate the problem. They said they were replacing the connector as a correct. The time it happened this year, they WERE able to replicate the problem with both an iPhone and a Samsung phone. So, after 2 years, they finally believe there’s a problem, but continuously blame the issue on Apple and software updates (this is after they blamed me and the USB cords previously).

They conveniently “forget” the charging issue, too. And now, the service manager says it IS charging bc he plugged his phone in for 10 minutes and the charge went up by 1%. One percent?!? I’ve tested this numerous times and the phone charge either doesn’t move at all or it starts to deplete (during 20-30 min car rides).

Ive escalated this to corporate who is now ALSO blaming Apple. They have determined that “Apple needs to send out s mass update.” Wrong. The updates are through the software and after extensive talks with Apple, they agree it is not a compatibility issue due to software (Bluetooth works just fine - if it didn’t, that would indicate a software problem). Apple has also advised that there is no such thing as a “mass update” sent to the dealers/cars; Acura made that up. So, I’m supposed to wait for an update that doesn’t exist??

has anyone had this experience with their car?? Or, is there any known fix to the usb not communicating with the car or charging the phone? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
I never use the USB. I always connect via Bluetooth and it works great. I have a 2015 2.4L
Old 08-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
I was going to advise going to different dealers when you have issues. Its kind of dirtbag because you have no real intention of letting them rip you off, you're just trying to get a free diagnosis. What I do is I'll take an oil change special once in a while and get the car checked out for free. Then they say "oh yu need brajkes done soon $700".. and then I go buy street spec racing pads and have my mechanic do it or similar with filters and stuff like that. Or i'll do it myself. Or I schedule my car to have the airbag updated and get checked out for free, etc. Or if I had an older car that needed a repair I'd just get a service like coolant done at dealer and get the free check up. that way I'm not a complete dirtbag, because i'm at least paying for a service instead of just fully wasting their time. But I'm not paying like $100+ just for a checkup. But whatever way, thats how I get two dealer opinions, and then I go my my private mechanic and have him tell me whats wrong, and if all 3 are mostly saying the same thing, then its all good. I never tell any of the 3 that I went to another shop. UNLESS if they try to rip me off. And trust me, plenty of mechanics and especially dealers will try to rip you off. My sisters TSX, Acura dealer wanted $3,500 for a blown rack and steering. Honda dealer wanted $2,000, fair enough for dealer prices, plus the part probably had a better warrnty. BUT My mechanic fixed it for $700 total, and another mechanic I have also quoted me the same. $2,000+tax would have been triple that. Car is still fine.

It may seem off topic but what I'm suspecting is you kept going to the same dealer and the techs and the service advisors at every dealer are different. So its worth it to be on the e-mail and mailing list of at least 3-4 different Honda and Acura dealers near you, since Honda also will fix and maintain Acuras. Maybe not the higher models. Probably even those tho. A car is a car.

For your specific issue, I would have originally recommended simply going to other dealers, and not involving Acura corporate until you had the same issues non stop and after 2-3 different dealers couldn't help you.The dealers don't keep each others records. So if the USB was switched a week later by another dealer, they wouldn't know. I know this can sound like wasting time, but the thing is going back to the same dealer who doesn't know how to help you, is ALSO a waste of time. This is more for future reference now. But yea, it sounds like you basically just got some kind of lemon electrical issue. Since you're no longer under warranty I guess you are just kind of screwed. This is why I don't even want a tech model of most cars.... and if I DID get it, I'd get the extended warranty... This is terrible, sorry man. Next time, avoid the tech models and just use your phone for a lot of tech. Its a LOT easier to update, upgrade and replace your phone, compared to even just updating or fixing your head unit. These companies WANT you to get a tech unit and then they WANT it to fail when the car is like 10 years old, forcing you to sell and upgrade. They are introducing a new form of planned obsolescence. The cars themselves last 20+ years now. They cant sell as many cars if that happens. So they make other things that will cause issues before the 20 years, convincing more people to spend the money.

Just use bluetooth. My car sometimes doesn't read my iphone or my ipod, but its more because of heat. That may be your issue. If the ipod or the iphone get too hot, it can't communicate correctly. It only happens sometimes. Mine will flash saying unsupported, or not connected. And obviously it won't charge it. it's not really the car, its the phones/device in my case. as soon as it cools down, problem solved

Last edited by aomechmarine; 08-29-2018 at 07:52 PM.