Winter Experience (So far)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012 | 05:15 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up Winter Experience (So far)

We had a nice snowstorm this weekend up here in Canada (Montreal, Quebec) and for me, what would determine keeping this car past its warranty period would be how it drives in the snow. Even though the past couple weeks there was some snow, only this weekend the roads were completely covered with snow, slush, ice, and mud, not to mention that there was a vicious wind with snow limiting visibility. With snow tires equipped (Mandated by law in Quebec), I decided this weekend I'd give my ILX its ultimate test drive.

Tests

Complaints

Despite my complaints, this car does fit the job well for winter. I'd recommend it to anyone, even though at this price tag you can get something with AWD.

On a side note, I just hit 10000 km and it's still going strong, with less than 30% oil life and 8.2L/100km (28.69 mpg) thanks to a lot of spirited driving! Very satisfied with the ILX, although I do wish the 2.0 had more power to it, but it's good enough for me to go quick in the city and to merge on the highway, so I can't complain. I would have snagged the 2.4, but being manual only, and fighting traffic jams fairly often, I didn't want to give my left leg a workout every time I want to go out on an evening. Planning my first maintenance trip with the dealership next month.
              The following users liked this post:
              4cruizn (12-23-2012)
              Old 12-24-2012 | 05:17 PM
              Senior Moderator

Thanks for sharing your observations. I've been wondering how the ILX will fare in winter weather, but living in Arizona I won't get many chances to test it out. This past weekend, though, I was in Utah and found some slippery roads to give it a go. I got the traction control system to activate multiple times. I can definitely see the value in ditching the OEM Michelins for some snow tires - grip was lacking, but I had fun breaking the tires loose intentionally.

Old 12-24-2012 | 05:37 PM
              Senior Moderator

Great review. Personally, I think winter tires should be mandatory in some of the snowy areas of the US as well. I think the use of winter tires was the most important part of your winter-driving experience.
              Old 12-24-2012 | 07:27 PM
              Three Wheelin'

I was driving in ice bound traffic last Wed. and one stretch it was so slow it took about 23 minutes to go 3 kms. Once through that I had to climb a very steep hill in about 3" of snow and with the Hankook w409 winter ipikes the ILX handled the hill without a problem and left the rest of the traffic behind. We don't normally get a lot of snow in the winter though we can and it usually freezes so I always run snow tires from Nov. thru mid March.
              Old 12-24-2012 | 11:11 PM
              Drifting

Yea, the stock tires are absolute bollucks in the snow...my car was sliding when taking a sharp corner in a parking lot, which was at very low speeds.
              Old 12-25-2012 | 01:38 AM
              UA6
              Safety Car

Good review.
              Old 12-26-2012 | 09:50 AM
              Three Wheelin'

Good work!
              Old 12-27-2012 | 05:51 PM
              Advanced

I agree that snow tires should be mandated in areas where snow is common. We had a killer storm today (45 cm of snow) and plenty of buses were stuck on the side of many roads. They're exempted from the law and are allowed to use all-season tires, but today was proof enough that Quebec was right to ban their use in the winter since they have no grip or traction in deep snow.

One issue I forgot to mention in the OP was about the heated seats - it doesn't feel like they always work properly. Now, coming from a Volvo and BMW, where their seats heated up quite quickly, I don't know if Acura's heat up slower (Unless you put it on High, but it gets uncomfortable quickly), or if mine are malfunctioning. I asked my girlfriend her opinion on the passenger seat, and she's fine with it, so perhaps I'm complaining about nothing. I do plan to ask the dealer to take a quick look to ensure everything's fine.
              Old 12-28-2012 | 08:28 AM
              Drifting

I put the seat warmer on high and then switch to low once it's in a comfortable temperature. Also, has anyone had issue with their windows freezing shut? This morning I couldn't open my windows and had to open the door in order to swipe my card to get access to the garage I park at.
              Old 12-28-2012 | 12:39 PM
              Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rickards
              One issue I forgot to mention in the OP was about the heated seats - it doesn't feel like they always work properly. Now, coming from a Volvo and BMW, where their seats heated up quite quickly, I don't know if Acura's heat up slower (Unless you put it on High, but it gets uncomfortable quickly), or if mine are malfunctioning.
              Typically Acura warmers should be set to 'hi' to warm quickly but then throttled back to 'lo' for continuous usage. There is a thermostat that will kick in if you leave it on 'hi' continuously.
              The following users liked this post:
              Rickards (12-28-2012)
              Old 12-28-2012 | 03:30 PM
              Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
              Typically Acura warmers should be set to 'hi' to warm quickly but then throttled back to 'lo' for continuous usage. There is a thermostat that will kick in if you leave it on 'hi' continuously.
              Didn't know that, that's good to know. Thanks for the tip Colin!