usdmJON's 2013 ILX build

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn your car is sitting pretty Jon. I'm liking the 20mm spacers, but I think you're right. another 5mm would be perfect for the rears. Anyway, love the progress!
The following users liked this post:
usdmJON (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by veeedub
Damn your car is sitting pretty Jon. I'm liking the 20mm spacers, but I think you're right. another 5mm would be perfect for the rears. Anyway, love the progress!
Thank you! Much appreciated.
I agree. And once I get the 25mm spacers these ones will go upfront.

How are you liking your ride? Any plans?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Thank you! Much appreciated.
I agree. And once I get the 25mm spacers these ones will go upfront.

How are you liking your ride? Any plans?
Good choice! I'm loving it, but I regret not getting the 2.4. The navi and bigger screen was too good to pass up. So far I've only done cosmetic things:Tint, Black Vinyl Roof, HID fogs, LEDs everywhere. Although, I have the decklid spoiler, front underbody spoiler coming in soon as part as a settlement from Acura. Long story haha. But free is always nice.

As far as plans go, I'm pretty green when it comes to go fast parts. Since I have the 2.0, my only plans so far are H&R Springs (Next week), Spacers, and Rear Sway Bar for a better ride.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:33 AM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
What's with the kitsuna knot if you don't have anything VIP?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Good choice! I'm loving it, but I regret not getting the 2.4. The navi and bigger screen was too good to pass up. So far I've only done cosmetic things:Tint, Black Vinyl Roof, HID fogs, LEDs everywhere. Although, I have the decklid spoiler, front underbody spoiler coming in soon as part as a settlement from Acura. Long story haha. But free is always nice.

As far as plans go, I'm pretty green when it comes to go fast parts. Since I have the 2.0, my only plans so far are H&R Springs (Next week), Spacers, and Rear Sway Bar for a better ride.
Did you test drive the 2.4? I did. It was fun but wasn't what I was looking for. Pretty aggressive gearbox if you ask me, which is great if you want a fast car but I wanted a classy car. Needed that huge screen, navi, extra amps speakers and memory.

Any pictures of the black vinyl roof? I dont remember seeing that! Definitely on my list of things to do.
Your plans sound solid. The car has enough pep for a daily driver in city traffic. Looking good while doing it is a good idea. As well the suspension work will help you go quick through the turns which in my opinion is far more worth while than green light mashing.

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
What's with the kitsuna knot if you don't have anything VIP?
Oh God. Save it dude. Tsuna Knot is a Buddhist symbol before it's a VIP label. As well I plan on taking a VIP inspired route with the car. Just finished my first year of ownership so I don't plan on going too wild too quick.
If thats your car in your ava it looks sweet.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Need front spacers -_-
Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Need front spacers -_-
it's going to look great once you get those spacers on! can't wait
Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
You should!
I for one am surprised I have not seen the coaster thing done before. I am very sure it has. What company coaster are you thinking?

I have not thought about putting LEDs in the cup holder.
Probably wouldnt be my thing... but thinking about it now you could probably install LEDs inside the plastic tabs that hold the drink in place. You wouldnt see them and the LED could face down on the coaster.
you're correct.
you wouldnt see the led itself, just the ambient glow shining down on to your coasters.
almost like what Ford has done.
VckPtl (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
you're correct.
you wouldnt see the led itself, just the ambient glow shining down on to your coasters.
almost like what Ford has done.
Hmm that seems very intriguing. How exactly would we put an LED below the surface, particularly the power aspect? Excuse my car/electrical ignorance.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I would suggest pulling out the center console cup holder if possible. Not sure how difficult that would be. You can probably run wiring right to the power source in the center console box for the cig lighter.
With the center console out you can take the plastic tabs out and drill a hole into the bottom of them to secure the LED inside.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
you bastards! I was thinking of a coaster LED mod too! damn you! aggghhhh!!! Ha so I saw LED coasters for sale on ebay, I mean they just run on batteries, but 2 problems. 1) - don't know if they would actually fit in the cupholder, maybe too big (circumference wise, cuz they sell thin ones) and 2) they change colors (I wanted blue LED, but could only find color changing). They only cost a couple of bucks, so if you don't care that they change colors it seems like a good cheap drop in "mod".
Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey john, you just reminded me to put a couple survival things in my car too. I have a fireproof (? haven't exactly tested that) survival blanket (USMC), a multitool, and I got a free LED flashlight from Marlboro that has a built in compass, and hidden matches. I just lied and said I smoke and signed up on their website. They give away random stuff all the time. I got a free led camping lantern (worth $80), headphones (crappy tho), a zippo lighter (waiting on it, that'll go in the car) and something else, can't remember... anyways EFF THEM people - sign up and get free stuff - YOU KNOW THEY GIVE PEOPLE CANCER RIGHT?
usdmJON (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Chris and John thanks so far for the pics on the spacers. Chris i saw your car on instagram too. I think I may actually go garageline as well. They are priced a little cheaper then the H&R, and I think 20mm is looking good. I don't want it to rub at all, and it seems like 20mm is sitting juuuussssstttt right in the fender, like you could drop more and be tucking a lil with it barely not rubbing. I'll wait on you get those 25mm in the back. I don't want anything more then a subtle drop, BUT, the shocks obviously move on big dips and such. Both cars looking good. I'm finally starting to look into getting either lowering springs or coil overs, unfortunately air suspension is just too rich for my blood for the time being. I'm trying to get a free or discounted set tho. Starting to call around. Got a maybe right away from a spring company, but willing to pay half the cost for some coilovers. I'll probably be dropping the car off on monday for a couple days to get test fitted for a cold air intake. Was gonna go carb legal, but free is free. I don't have a job right now, so I'm using my free time to try and whore my car for parts. I can lose my car for week if need be (sucks tho). I got off active duty a few months ago, and now I'm just a Sergeant in the reserve USMC, I have a job lined up as a corrections officer in vegas, but not really trying to leave the state. Looking around for a comparable wage job for now, but if nothing pans out in a few more months, then I'm taking it. Cant sleep on a good opportunity for too long.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Last but not least - there a new wheel company star up out in Garden Grove called Infinite Werks, They are making 3 piece wheels. They look great (google). called them and asked about pricing, they said for some 19x8.5 they could "sponsor" price them for about $3600 in the finish I want. Regular price being $4600. Again, too rich for my blood man. But hey maybe sow of you dudes out there got the cash to blow. I just feel that thats way too much for a brand new company to charge. If it was $2000-2500 maybe.... And VIP Modular is selling some of their cast wheels for $1500 a set on their website. 3piece > cast--- but still, VIP Modular has a little more history and rep - they've been around for 10 years or so.
usdmJON (04-04-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Clean as always. Keep it up Jon
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Did you test drive the 2.4? I did. It was fun but wasn't what I was looking for. Pretty aggressive gearbox if you ask me, which is great if you want a fast car but I wanted a classy car. Needed that huge screen, navi, extra amps speakers and memory.

Any pictures of the black vinyl roof? I dont remember seeing that! Definitely on my list of things to do.
Your plans sound solid. The car has enough pep for a daily driver in city traffic. Looking good while doing it is a good idea. As well the suspension work will help you go quick through the turns which in my opinion is far more worth while than green light mashing.
I actually did get to test drive it, but I'm not too great at manual haha. It was different, but I was looking for more comfort and class (Meaning I want to be able to multi-task). The huge screen and speakers are a must.

Yeah that's what I'm going for, got my order in for spacers and springs. Should be coming in Wed-Fri. My cousin works as a technician at Tustin Acura, so I'll be able to get a free install with alignment. Rear sway bar is next!

Aha, I'm not the best photographer, but since I really like the Galaxy s4's 12mp camera, I'll be taking a picture once I give the lady a bath.

Btw, any issues with clearance on the rear?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I actually did get to test drive it, but I'm not too great at manual haha. It was different, but I was looking for more comfort and class (Meaning I want to be able to multi-task). The huge screen and speakers are a must.

Yeah that's what I'm going for, got my order in for spacers and springs. Should be coming in Wed-Fri. My cousin works as a technician at Tustin Acura, so I'll be able to get a free install with alignment. Rear sway bar is next!

Aha, I'm not the best photographer, but since I really like the Galaxy s4's 12mp camera, I'll be taking a picture once I give the lady a bath.

Btw, any issues with clearance on the rear?
Good plans. No clearance issues. I expect none when I go to 25mm as well.

Quick shot with SoCalRep's Fathom Blue ILX at the shooting range today.

The HFP wheels look great in person. Perfect size.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
i had forgotten you work at a range/proshop thingy.
we miss ya at the gun thread.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
i had forgotten you work at a range/proshop thingy.
we miss ya at the gun thread.
I made an appearance.

And I hide in my warehouse all day. Screw the population. Callin' us making threats because they're felon ass can't get a gun shipped out from their cousin in Atlanta.

I'll stay in the warehouse where the 92 sits waiting. Come get me fuckers!!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
very nice build, i look forward to seeing more !
i have officially been converted, i like the ilx now.
usdmJON (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Glad to help make that happen!
With some ilxs starting to develop their own looks I think we'll start seeing more people get interested. It's a simple good looking car with good fuel economy and easy to mod.
Great step up from the civic be it the r20 or k24.
waaasobe (04-13-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 04:18 AM
Instructor

Glad to help make that happen!
With some ilxs starting to develop their own looks I think we'll start seeing more people get interested. It's a simple good looking car with good fuel economy and easy to mod.
Great step up from the civic be it the r20 or k24.
Agreed! Hopefully more people will decide to drop cash on their cars instead of girlfriends.. Hahaha.
Side note - Spacers and Springs came in. Will get it installed next Saturday!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
b1 service complete at 16,xxx miles.
20mm spacers installing in the rear.
Left the dip on for now.

Also, added some StoneBrewing beer coasters into my drink holders. Top one has a cool gargoyle holding a pint the bottom one says Stone Brewing. Pretty clean. I like it. Pictures sometime tomorrow probably.
I went 25mm spacers all around. Our wheels are 17x7 +40 so brings it out to 15mm. If I could do it again I'd go 20 up front and 25 in the rear. Wheels never rubbed even lowered on h&r springs.
aomechmarine (04-15-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Exactly what I'll be going with. The 20mm is great in the right right now thought it does make the front look sunk. Once I get the 25mm to replace the rears Ill throw the 20mm I have upfront and have what you said youd do if you had another shot.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:53 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you chop a photo of a black ilx with all the accessories kit with work cr ultimate in white please?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey saw that ILX with purple plastidipped stock wheels - looked to totally tasteless. DID NOT match the car in ANY WAY whatsoever. Looked horrible. Like someone played a prank on someone. Ive seen purple wheels on cars that looked good. Those cars were Evos and Subies, some others, and were heavily modified. The car itself looked great as did the wheels. Also saw a decent looking ILX with a horrible "Illest" sticker on the front by the headlight. Another guy had a sticker of his name on the car. WTF is that? both looked whack as hell! I'm not 100% against stickers, only REALLY REALLY against; tasteless, played out, stupid, ugly or too many, stickers.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

also just saw hot pink plastidipped stock wheels and emblems. Tasteless. What are people thinking? I saw a lot of plastidipped emblems, wheels and grills. They all looked great. ranging from white, black, grey and they all matched the vehicle. Some people are definitely making this car look sexy, others definitely not. I personally saw another ILX with chrome stock wheels this weekend in San Diego. Looked totally stock otherwise. Saw a couple ILX's on base. I am also starting to regularly see a few on the road. I believe the sales are definitely picking up (if only in my so cal area bubble, at least).
Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Ive seen the purple wheel ILX. I didn't like it myself but it was better than the highlighter yellow he had before or after... can't remember.

I hear people say pretty often that my white wheels dont match. I tell them that honda used to make white oem wheels and they went on red, white, yellow, and black cars so shove off!

Ive seen the illest sticker too. I say its lame. If you're rocking a stanced set up and want to get featured then I can see rocking the sticker but at a stock height GTFO.

As for the pink emblems, those are chicks probably, I say let them be. lol

I do see them more and more. I like it but the majority of the time its an older person that probably doesnt car that my ilx just drove by.

Ive been looking into a new header more recently. I have other priorities right now but I have a feeling once I find the header I want the funds will appear. haha
I was looking at megan but the header is only 2.25... Id really like 2.5"
I found a company called OBX that makes a header/downpipe combo similar to what RV6 has for the k24... very similar. Ive messaged them about sizing so we'll see how big that one is.

Aside from that I am looking more and more and getting a simple axle back which will probably come 2.25".
Right now my Downpipe ois 2.25 which still being better than stock isnt exactly where I want to be.
If I can replace my downpipe to 2.5 then I'll get a custom 2.5 mid piping to the 2.25 axleback. If I can't find a 2.5 DP or 2.5 header Ill just go 2.25" mid piping which will still be better than oem and is the best I can find for ANY R series out there.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Plus it's your car and you can rock any color wheels you please. No one is buying them for you but yourself right.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah actually the white wheels look great on those type of colors in my opinion. Minus yellow - I just really hate yellow cars. Except MAYBE exotics... maybe.... Yeah for your header I would try to find reviews or something before you go OBX. I used them before on my old civic. Wasn't the best. But that was a long time ago. From what I hear, they were kind of like Skunk2. Started off pretty whack but ended up pretty good. Megan is definitely in that category too. I think they're pretty solid now.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Well there isnt much to choose from for the r series.

Megan and OBX are all I have found for a catless header so far.
Megan MSRP is crazy for the header...
I can find it on sites out of stock for around $100 which Id pay. Im willing to pay $130 pretty much max for the one piece. The OBX I can find in stock for $200 for both pieces.

The only site I have found the Megan piece for is $169 before shipping, fuck that, my DP from them was like $90. No way the header is worth twice that.

I messaged OBX about the OD of their piping. if it is 2.5 I am going to buy both the header and downpipe and toss my megan header (Ill attempt to sell it but I never expect anyone to buy used parts). If it is 2.25 it still may be more worth buying both pieces for only $30 more than just megans header then I may be able to roll to some of Team3Ds meets and slang a header for $40 and make $10. haha

I'll definitely check out reviews though. I do mad research before dropping money on my car. Not so much worried about the money verse the quality of the part im bolting to my car.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Heard back from the guys at Hondata.

As expected, they have no plans on developing anything further for the R series.
This was to be expected as the market for the R18 didn't pick up that greatly and the tuning market for the K series obviously makes sense.

Does not at all mean I don't have options. As already mentioned by team3d AEM has a system I can use so that will be my next start.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Heard back from the guys at Hondata.

As expected, they have no plans on developing anything further for the R series.
This was to be expected as the market for the R18 didn't pick up that greatly and the tuning market for the K series obviously makes sense.

Does not at all mean I don't have options. As already mentioned by team3d AEM has a system I can use so that will be my next start.
you can use the aem on the r20? is it full standalone or piggy back?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
you can use the aem on the r20? is it full standalone or piggy back?
I was told about the Piggyback for the r18. Ive never chipped a car so not sure if that will work. I have done Zero research into tuning minus that Hondata isnt considering the r20.

Though I did see AEM has standalone and piggyback units available. Again, I have done no research so I am not sure yet what will and wont work.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Tried something I didnt think Id ever consider. Buddy had some chrome trim laying around from reapplying his visors. Grab little more than a foot, popped my rear reflectors out and gave this a try... trying to copy the look of the reflectors on the RLX and new TLX... what do you think?

I say this is something Id never normally consider because I tend to say these things are pretty rice. But I felt like the rear of the ILX was sort of boring and the TLX and RLX had some nice chrome trimmed reflectors so I felt it would look semi OEM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
Cars clean. A trunk lip spoiler would set off the rear end.
usdmJON (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 AM
2014 ILX 2.4 6mt black

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
it kinda blends in bro.. def doesnt look bad..
usdmJON (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
Yeah it sorta just looks like the light shining off of the bottom lip on the bumper where the reflector sit in at, so I guess it's not too bad. I feel like you'll end up taking it off.

Your ass is naked, that's for sure.
usdmJON (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
Cars clean. A trunk lip spoiler would set off the rear end.
I contemplated it a lot. I don't really like the spoilers aura sells oem.
Spoiler kings makes a deck lid like the m3 but required double sides tape to the paint which will probably come right off or putting holes in the trunk which I don't want to do.

For integras it was the cool thing to go wingless. I sort of kept that mentality.

For those interested the hybrid ilx has a more vip style trunk lid with a chrome strip. Very nice. I'd get that over the spoiler everyone has already but then again I don't want holes in my trunk.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pockets
it kinda blends in bro.. def doesnt look bad..
Exactly what I wanted. Subtle looks more oem so I'm happy. Thanks

Quick Reply: usdmJON's 2013 ILX build