Installed Gentex Homelink Mirror into ILX 2.4l (Non-Tech pkg)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Installed Gentex Homelink Mirror into ILX 2.4l (Non-Tech pkg)

I just installed a Gentex homelink mirror (autodim, with built-in garage opener) mirror into my '14 2.4L ILX. As you all know in the US the tech package is not available with the 2.4L and so Homelink is not an option. Just thought I'd post a few pics to help anyone else who might want to do this.

First, where to get the mirror--you have several options but I purchased a universal mirror used on ebay from sales-at-dnd-enterprises for $125. It looks brand new and came with a new wiring harness, clips and some nice instructions. I'm pleased with the mirror and happy to recommend them.

My ILX already had an autodim mirror but no homelink. There were three wires running to the existing mirror - brown (switched 12v), grey (a signal wire for the interior lighting) and of course black/ground.

The new mirror did not use the lighting/gray wire so that does not connect. You are then left with the decision as to whether you want this mirror to have the ability to open the garage door when the car ignition is OFF. (Sidenote, my '03 Nissan with factory homelink CAN open the door with ignition off, while my '07 Subaru with factory homelink can NOT open the door with the ignition off). I chose to wire this like the '07 Subaru.

There is no constant 12V running to the factory auto-dim mirror so if you choose to wire it like the '03 Nissan then you will need to either tap the overhead light or run a wire to the fuse box/battery.

As I said the new mirror had three wires, one to ground (connect direct to existing black wire), one to either 12V constant or 12V switched (installers choice and one to 12V switched. I twisted those two wires together (which in my case were red and yellow) and soldered them to the existing brown wire hanging down from the ceiling.

You can mount the mirror to the existing wedge mount (the metal spade bit glued to the windshield). The screw is a T20 torx.

If you are careful with the wiring then you can solder, wrap with heat shrink tubing (be very careful not to damage your headliner) wrap again and tuck the wires into your headliner without removing a single part of your headliner.

Normally I would have just pulled the headliner to make it easier but this new Acura has no visible screws and I was worried I'd break a plastic piece. Also there was no need, with the wiring all already in place, and the ability to push carefully wrapped wire backwards into the headliner.

The mirror does not require constant 12V power even though it has a memory. It does not work like radio presets. It remembers..

I re-used the existing mirror's wiring cover for a factory look, although the new mirror came with a similar cover.

Some other notes--you can get these mirrors with compasses. If that's something you want then I don't think that will change anything with the wiring.

I'll post pics soon--photobucket is down right now.
The following users liked this post:
robtroxel (03-05-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Here are pictures:

Factory Mirror removed, wires cut and stripped (with battery negative terminal removed first!!)

With car off none of these are live.

New mirror's 12V constant (optional) and 12V switched twisted together, soldered to brown wire and heat-shrinked. Ground-to-ground connected as well.

Wires wrapped in electrical tape before being shoved backwards into the headliner:

New wiring fits right into existing wire guides:

Re-used existing wire cover (could have used new one.. they are identical)

Looks factory?

The following users liked this post:
capcomEF9 (05-20-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
It does look factory!! Great job man.

Interested in seom more pics of the mirror face itself so we can see the garage button. Just one or a couple? Looks great. You didnt care for the compass ones?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by usdmJON
It does look factory!! Great job man.

Interested in seom more pics of the mirror face itself so we can see the garage button. Just one or a couple? Looks great. You didnt care for the compass ones?

Thanks! You're right I should have posted those--see below. There are buttons for three separate garage doors.

This mirror is more glossy than the old one, which was matte finished. The seller said it came off a 2011 Toyota.

The compass ones are nice too. I just never pay any attention to the compass in the mirror, so it did not factor into my decision much. For the compass mirrors I think there are two styles, one that has a black box where the direction appears, and one that has a mirrored surface that the directory illuminates through (so no black box). I think they're all available on Amazon.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Awesome so youve basically got all the buttons the tech homelink has, dimmer on/off as well as three programmable buttons. Sweet write up. You should contact Acura and see how much they charge for a brand new oem unit plus install and compare how little you spent vs how much i spent for the homelink with tech. Im sure a lot of 2.4 owners will love this if they care to take the time and get their hands dirty.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Awesome so youve basically got all the buttons the tech homelink has, dimmer on/off as well as three programmable buttons. Sweet write up. You should contact Acura and see how much they charge for a brand new oem unit plus install and compare how little you spent vs how much i spent for the homelink with tech. Im sure a lot of 2.4 owners will love this if they care to take the time and get their hands dirty.
Thanks-- yeah I think my total cost will be about $50 once I sell the other mirror on ebay.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Sweet upgrade - thanks for sharing the write-up / pics!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
I have to say that I really enjoy a very practical upgrade how-to such as this, written in an easy to follow manner. Great job!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great write up! I got so excited, I ordered a mirror on ebay for my mom's ILX, lol. Come to find out she has the base of the base models and doesn't even have the autodim mirror.

Does anyone know if the wires are already in the headliner for the autodim mirror?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Great DIY man, looks nice and clean
Old 04-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Guys.

projectwidow: You should be able to tap the 12V in the roof, under the headliner. The power sunroof, for example, is one option for you. You just need to tap the power and the ground.

The "correct" way to do this would be to run a new wire to the fuse box so not to add additional draw through the wires that power the sunroof. Personally I think you're probably safe to just splice into the sunroof power wire.

I haven't had the headliner down, though, so I can't tell you the colors. A multimeter could help here.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Thanks Rocko! I will try that and keep you guys posted!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey looking to add Homelink to my 2.4, looked at the ebay seller account you suggested... a little confused regarding the different homelink options available any advice?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wewantrice
Hey looking to add Homelink to my 2.4, looked at the ebay seller account you suggested... a little confused regarding the different homelink options available any advice?
Hey, I'd actually recommend asking that seller. They have a lot of knowledge about Homelink mirrors.

Mine came from 2011 Toyota, but others would work too. You need to make sure the one you get will fit the wedge clip on the window.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Nice job! Thanks for posting.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Sorry I forgot to post back.

Everything went very well and easy. I installed this in my mom's base ILX and simply tapped into the power/ground in the sunroof. I forgot which color was 12v but I want to say it was a light blue?

Thanks again Rocko!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a search and found this thread before I installed the Gentax Homelink mirror in my wife's ILX. Curious, does anyone know what the function of the grey signal wire for the interior lighting that goes to the OEM mirror. Thanks.