Townhomes - end VS middle units?

Old 05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Townhomes - end VS middle units?

For anyone who has lived in either an end or a middle unit, modern townhome (built 1995+), what are the distinct advantages of an end vs a middle unit, and what are the disadvantages?

The wife and daughter and I are looking to buy a townhome and kinda wanted a semi-detached home ("duplex") or an end unit townhome, but the prices seem to be much, much higher than their middle-unit counterparts.

I'd assume heating would be CHEAPER in a middle unit (less exterior wall + window(s), but otherwise I think the end units give a few additional light sources, slightly bigger yards, and maybe a bit less noise?

What are your opinions and most importantly, experiences? We're moving into a similar neighbourhood as our own (new subdivision less than 12 years old, normally nice neighbours, quiet, suburbia-type setting), for what its worth.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Well, back in the day when I lived in a townhouse, the end unit was my first choice.
One common wall > two common walls.

As far as heating the place is concerned...this is So Cal....we only worry about A/C not heat.:wink:
Old 05-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
We lived in an end-unit townhome in MD. We loved it. We only had neighbors on one side. Christ, the neighborhood that we lived in had more drama than Wisteria Lane!

We paid the highest price at that time for the end-unit. We paid $230,000 back in 2004.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I wouldn't pay more for an end unit, if that's what you're asking.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
End units feel more like a semi than a town. It`s also easier to get things into the backyard. Some middle units don`t have a breeze-way from the front to the back which can be inconvenient when you want to mow the lawn (unless you have two lawnmowers).

Middle units have less exterior maintenance, although there`s not a lot on any townhouse. They also tend to have lower heating and cooling costs because two of your walls are being heated by your neighbors.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Usually an end unit will have a extra room, such as a sun room.

I lived in a middle one. Looking back I would have preferred an end unit for the reasons already mentioned.

More important than center or end unit, make sure there is enough parking!
The place I was in basically just had 2 spots per townhouse. If anyone had a party all hell broke loose. Turns out that people are very attached to their parking spots. God forbid someone parks in it.

The best way to judge this is to check out the place after 8pm during a week day when most people are home.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
Well, I wouldn't pay more for an end unit, if that's what you're asking.

In a lot of cases the end unit is bigger, so it would cost more. I live in the middle, there's no difference between mine and any others. Except the door in on the side of the end unit t/h's in some. I do hear some noise from both the unit on the sides on me.

Also a end unit will allow more for landscaping they way you want. Also most of the end units here have full decks with stairs on the side, just because they have the room.

edit... Parking is a BIG PAIN in the ASS. We have a lot of units here that are rented. These are renting by many many people in one house. I have one next to me that has 5 effing cars. Another up the street has 4. And one next to them has 4. 13 cars for 3 houses, what a pain in the ass, oh, I already said that.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 05-31-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in an end unit, and the #1 thing I like is the convenience of going from frontyard to backyard. Everyone else has to walk all the way around. Also, the end faces the southern sky, so I get plenty of sun (that's great in the winter, not so much in the summer). Also, you have more privacy when chillin on the deck/porch, just because you're not stuck in the middle.

As far as noise goes, I've never heard my neighbors, and they say they've never heard us. Fortunately most units are owned and not rented so it's pretty much 2 cars to a house, but some people have extra cars or visitors all the time which can make it crowded.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Depends on what type of TH. I've been in friends that your hear everything from the units on each side of you. But then others you hear nothing. That's the main focus I'd be looking for if I even had a TH or shared a common wall. I'd bang on that thing & see if I could hear. I can't stand people noise & likewise people won't stand mine.

I'd figure on the end would lesson that aspect.

My mom's condo is an end unit. Has lots of light & a 3 views. (front, back, side) The middle units have almost no light getting to them.
No way I could live in darkness.