Keezer Build

Old 11-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
You think they would look weird? The spacer won't be large enough you would see it. Only about 1/4-3/8in thick. I have to do something on the one side because of the metal brackets that hold the trip tray are in the way.

I can't seem to find a picture of it but I have an extra piece of half in. board between the braces for the kitchen bar and the granite itself on the top side only.

I would need to space it down a little so I could go over this bracket. Plus the 3/4in overhang of the 1.5in front trim would cover up a bit of the bracket and not look right wouldn't you think? The only way I can think of getting around going over the bracket would be to remove the piece holding up the drip tray and try and install the shelf bracket to go into the opening of the drip tray enough to provide support for it on its own.

What size would you order? If I have 4inx5in would you go up to 6inx6in square or would you stay with an offset size and do 6inx7in? Or only go up 1in total?
My thought is that putting a spacer in will make it look like the top of the shelf bracket is different than the bottom of the shelf itself. It wouldn't be all that apparent from a front view and probably not in general practice but I'd notice it walking by every time and it would drive me nuts...but that's just me and I am nuts.

If I had to do it myself, I would have routed/chiseled out a recess (aka mortise) for those support pieces and then trimmed the shelf with wood of equal thickness such that the bottom is flat. Again JMO, what you have looks great.

As for what size to get, what's the depth of that shelf so I have a sense of scale? Also, what's the thickness of the shelf bracket itself? Just the flat bit, not the one that goes around a curve.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:10 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,664 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Still trying to figure out the grills. Down to between these two designs. I might have to end up going custom cause I can't find a grill in a 4x6 size to fit the rear that matches what ever I put on the side and I don't want a mismatch look even if the back is rarely seen.

Opinions on these two patterns. I like the Vogue but think it might be to modern looking.

The next question is opinion on stainless steel to match the drip tray and taps or oil rubbed bronze which seems to be more just like a dark brown powder coat and might blend with the wood finish. Maybe even just black to blend in. Leaning towards stainless but it an extra 30% markup.
Still have not purchased vent covers for this project yet because I am having a hard time convincing myself to spend close to $200 on some stainlesss vents although they will look really good.

I thought of another option. I recently picked up a router on sale at Sears since they are still giving away tools. I bought it for the purpose of making picture frames myself rather than buying them as I need some larger frames that normally cost a good amount. Now I am thinking maybe I could use the picture frame concept and just get some perforated stainless steel and inset it in a wood frame and make those my vent covers.

Something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-inch-ho...MAAMXQhuVRPlIM

Only thing that has me hesistant is that it would possibly not look as finished as those other ones.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
I know you want a very high end look and while I agree it looks good, have you checked out Lowes? They have 2x3 foot aluminum sheets that you can cut down, not sure if it's thick enough but I would think it would work.

Edit - Re read your last post and it appears you're on it, I would do that personally.
Oh, $32, just a thought.