http://www.insinkerator.com/isejsp/p...0&template=hwd

Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
Anyone have one of these? Worth it?

I am considering one of those. Ever since I put insulation on the plastic pipes outside my water heater, the cold water actually has been tepid. not cold per say, but warm enough to wash your fash with without getting shivers.

I'd like to know if someone has those.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had one of those at work, it was great. Instant boiling hot water is always great As for other questions like reliability and stuff like that, cant answer any.
For home use, we have one of these . Amazing how we lived without one for so long.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/ins...dispensers.asp

edit: btw, whats the price on that? Website didnt list it

Last edited by Chr8808; 08-06-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm your Huckleberry

I've got one, we LOVE it. I'll post the model number if I can find it...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr8808
Had one of those at work, it was great. Instant boiling hot water is always great As for other questions like reliability and stuff like that, cant answer any.
For home use, we have one of these . Amazing how we lived without one for so long.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/ins...dispensers.asp

edit: btw, whats the price on that? Website didnt list it

It's about $180 at Lowes, I think.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm your Huckleberry

This is the one I've got now. InSinkErator model GN3C-SS. Originally bought the one in the pic you posted but it just looked too big when I took it out of the box. Took it back for this one. The older models that are streamlined like this one didn't have as much flow as the newer ones. This one works great.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm your Huckleberry

A couple things you gotta be aware of though. It requires an outlet under the sink to plug in. My garbage disposal was hard-wired into the dishwasher line, so I had to add an outlet under the sink. Never done it before, but it's not that difficult. I talked to Home Depot's electrical guy, who was very helpful, but I also bought a book that detailed the installation, just cause I'm a little paranoid.

Also, if you have a porcelain-coated cast iron sink: Don't attempt to use a hole saw to make a hole for this unit. I almost did this, after advice from a different Home Depot associate. I just didn't get the feeling the guy knew what he was talking about, so I asked yet another one. He said theres a very good chance that if I had done this, the sink could've cracked.

Instead I used the hole for the sprayer, and bought a new faucet with a built in pull out sprayer.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm your Huckleberry

Anyway, the moral of the story is, be careful who you trust at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. If it doesn't feel right, then ask somebody else, some of them know what they're talking about.

Also, this thing works great. I use it to make coffee in a french press everyday. We also use it as a preheater for boiling water on the stove. We keep it set at about 200 degrees F, so it only takes a minute or so to bring the water to a boil on the stove. Knock on wood, but no problems since I bought it in January.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Anyone have one of these? Worth it?

We actually have the Insinkerator model like that, but probably older(mid-90s). It works great, but does require a little space under the sink due to the little water heater/tank.
Make sure you can clear any pull-out wire baskets, garbage/trash containers, etc. that are underneath the cabinet where the dispenser's heater tank is mounted.
G/L!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
My question is: would this thing be any more efficient than an electric stove? I mean, with a conventional electric stove, you have to take (relatively) cold water, put it in a pot, put it on the stove burner, and wait for it to boil. In the new setup, the water is already near boiling, so you're wasting a lot of energy keep the water near boiling at the sink faucet that you don't need. Yeah, you're not heating it up as much as the old way, but you are wasting electricity keeping the tap water at that temperature.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
My question is: would this thing be any more efficient than an electric stove? I mean, with a conventional electric stove, you have to take (relatively) cold water, put it in a pot, put it on the stove burner, and wait for it to boil. In the new setup, the water is already near boiling, so you're wasting a lot of energy keep the water near boiling at the sink faucet that you don't need. Yeah, you're not heating it up as much as the old way, but you are wasting electricity keeping the tap water at that temperature.
I'm guessing the tank is well insulated.

Once the water comes to temperature, it won't take much to keep it at temperature. Probably a lot more efficient than you think.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm your Huckleberry

I'm guessing the tank is well insulated.

Once the water comes to temperature, it won't take much to keep it at temperature. Probably a lot more efficient than you think.

It has a stainless steel tank that I assume has insulation between it and the plastic housing. You do hear it occasionally being reheated, but not often. It may be less efficient, I really have no idea.

But I love the convenience aspect. If the wife wants a cup of hot chocolate in the winter, she just gets a cup, adds the powder, presses the button, voila!

If the in-laws come over and want a cup of tea, then this device just ensures that they won't stick around longer than necessary waiting for the water to heat up!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
A family member has one similar to the one posted in #6. It's rarely used.