Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Started running again

Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by '06 Arctic
Dallison - you probably already know this, but one of the big things when running longer distances is nutrition. Making sure you are eating enought during your run and getting enough fluids in is critical. Especially if you did a hard 5 mile workout the day before and then were trying to run a fast 9 miles the day after.

Anything close to an hour, I'm making sure I have at least a gel or some energy chews. For someone with your speed I would say anything in the 30-35 minute range should bring some form of nutrition with you. You may have just bonked.
The day before i had a hot dog with ships for lunch, a really shitty reuben with a few fries and a soda for dinner and loaded fries, soda and soft ice cream afterwards. Normally i don't eat as much crappy food, but i did.
There was nothing that was nutritious that day. I should have known better as i was on a good 7-7:15 pace.
I didn't even feel like going out later that night for an additional 4-5 miles.

You are right about taking something as i run. Now that my runs are starting to last about 90 minutes-2 hours i guess i need to look into it further to succeed.

I ran down the one 3/4 mile hill yesterday quicker than i normally do and my knee felt pretty good, but i can feel it a little today. I love my compression sleeve with its ice pack.

My uncle called me about a ten miler in Kutztown on march 31st. Frankly, that distance scares me to race. I can't just go to a race for fun, i have to know i'll be in the top 5% and i am not confident enough yet to do it, but i am sure i can once i get moving.

I'm still considering it as a what the hell, i'm sure i'll place in my age group but it'll be painful.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
registered pw

The funny thing is, i can now tell how a previous workout affected a current one. I don't mind two a days but that was not happening yesterday.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh for sure if you are going 90min-2hrs you definitely want to bring along nutrition and a drink. I love the honey stinger chews, all the flavors are awesome. Not to sweet and are like a fruit snack. For drinks I stick to either Cytomax or Hammer Nutrition HEED. Gels I go with either GU's or Hammer Nutrition Gels. Hammer Nutrition has some great articles that talks about fueling during exercise in there Knowledge section.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/

Yeah I've started to notice that also with training for this marathon this year. I can really tell when my recovery week is due based on the work I've done the previous 3 weeks.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I've tried GU once when I was doing a 13 mile run and it made me thirsty as hell. Even worse, the several water fountains along the trail I was running weren't working so I was almost foaming at the mouth when I got to my car and chugged a whole bottle of vitamin water.

Now that I am going to soon start training for a marathon next, I definitely will need some way to bring water with me. Do you have any recommendations? Camelback or water bottle or something? Preferably something not bulky so I don't know it is there...
Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
registered pw

Thanks arctic, i will look into those. This is uncharted territory for me just like the knee sleeve was and that worked great. I'll be using it tonight.

imj, i ran with a couple guys that had running water belts. They seemed to be light enough and accessable too. I am very sure i'll need to carry these in the summer so i don't kill myself.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

imj, I've tried both the running belts that hold a bottle of water and a camelback. I couldn't stand the water belt as the damn thing would bounce all over the place, ride up my hips, etc.

For training for the Pittsburgh marathon last year and this year, I've been using a 70 oz Camelback that I got at REI on sale. It is a bare-bones model with the pouch for the bladder and a small pocket for my key fob. I love it. Holds plenty of fluids, stays tight and close to my back so it doesn't swing or move around and is pretty light.

For the GU's you def. only want to take them when you have water available. The water helps the "GU" absorb into your blood stream faster.

Hope this stuff helps. Let me know if you guys have any other questions. I haven't run for long, but being an Engineer, when I do start something I research the hell out of it.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
registered pw

I don't think a camelpack would be good for me as i run shirtless once the temps get above 65-70 degrees.
Will it rub the skin raw if placed on a bare back?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dallison
I don't think a camelpack would be good for me as i run shirtless once the temps get above 65-70 degrees.
Will it rub the skin raw if placed on a bare back?
Dallison - that is something that I've never tried before to be honest. I know once I cinch down the straps on mine, it really doesn't move at all on my back, so I wouldn't think it would, but only way to see is to try it out really.

They also make water bottles that have a strap that you can strap around the palm of your hand so you aren't technically "holding" the bottle. I've never tried these out, but see a decent amount of people that use them also.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Q('.')=O

I've been researching different types of hydration systems for running and seems like there basically are 3 types... bottles you can hold in your hand or with a strap, a belt around your waist where you can put a bottle, or the pack over your shoulders/back.

I was highly considering the pack over my shoulders - apparently the Nathan packs get great reviews everywhere and not only is it for water but you can also store gels or snack and your keys and ipod etc. - but In the summer here with 100+ temps I don't know if that would be very desirable to wear.

The bottles you hold in your hand with the strap sound pretty cool but I just don't know if I would something in or on my hand that long of a run, seems like it would just annoy me.

I hear the belts around the waist where you can store bottles tend to sway back and forth and the bottles bump you etc and definitely wouldn't want that, but I think I saw somewhere that the belt where you store your water bottle horizontally is better.

Still unsure.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by '06 Arctic
Dallison - you probably already know this, but one of the big things when running longer distances is nutrition. Making sure you are eating enought during your run and getting enough fluids in is critical. Especially if you did a hard 5 mile workout the day before and then were trying to run a fast 9 miles the day after.

Anything close to an hour, I'm making sure I have at least a gel or some energy chews. For someone with your speed I would say anything in the 30-35 minute range should bring some form of nutrition with you. You may have just bonked.
+1 anything over 7 miles or so I bring water and gels/chews.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 AM
registered pw

I am going to reluctantly run a 10 miler at the end of the month, but probably the one in Harrisburg. It's 15 minutes away and and i don't know how a 75-90 min. ride would affect me for a long race so i'm staying local on this one.

I ran 9 miles on Sat. and 8.25 on Sun. My ass is sore and today is a rest day. I am hoping to be around 1:10 or 1:20 if i'm really having a bad day.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Q('.')=O

I'm sure you will be fine! Good luck with that. I hope it isn't a 10 mile 'up the mountain' run

Btw I finally chose what to use for hydration during long runs. I couldn't see myself wearing a vest, especially in the summer so I went with a hand held bottle. However, it really isn't hand held. There is a strap (which has a pocket where you can put a key and a gu or whatever) and you just slide it in your hand and go running so you aren't really holding it, and the bottle contours to your hand perfectly so it doesn't hurt at all and is very effective. I used it for a 9 miler today and was just fine for me, I even had some water left over, but I'm sure I will use it all come summer time. I'd definitely recommend it.
http://www.rei.com/product/782447/am...ld-lite-pocket
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 AM
registered pw

lol, no, this one is a flat 10 miler, but a 10 mile hill race would be expected. The week before i'll be doing 11 miles of steep hill, at least half of it will be.

I think the reason i like hills so much is b/c people really hate them and i like to do things people hate.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
What are yall running from? Steal somethin'?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Q('.')=O

maybe... :thief:
Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
^ Ohh that smilie is so wrong. Everyone know a colored man would take a asian flatscreen with a DVR.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 AM
I've got spurs...

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey I have a quick question. I would make a new thread but I don't really think it is worth it. I also haven't looked through this thread (25 pages is a bit much), so sorry it if has already been brought up a lot.

I normally run about two miles every other day. Towards the end of the last mile my left shin muscle begins to ache. Well the last time I went for a run, I only made it a quarter mile before I had to stop and limp back home. I could have kept going but I didn't want to do any damage. I haven't went running since to let it heal up just in case.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a lack of stretching as I stretch a good ten or so minutes before and after I run. I read up a bit on shin splits, but I'm not sure if that's what it is. I have dull aching pain that gradually gets worse the more I continue to jog, but it tends to go away within half an hour after I finish.

Any idea what it could be, or what I should do to figure it out? Is it possible my shoes are causing my foot to land awkwardly or something?

Obviously, I'm not very familiar with sort of stuff. Any and all help will be appreciated!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I'm not an expert in this but I remembered when I started running, I would also get aches near my shin and even pain in the knees. I let it heal for just a couple of days and then went running again. As I continued to run, I never had pains ever again. I think maybe it's the initial stress? Not sure.

Also, if I take a 3 month break and start running, I'll get the same pains. Only until I get used to running that the pain never comes back.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM
registered pw

Do you have newer shoes and are they proper shoes for your running style?

Sometimes pains end up going away after a while. I would also ice up after your runs too.

I don't have much experience with shin splints to really give a good recommendation.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM
I've got spurs...

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
I'm not an expert in this but I remembered when I started running, I would also get aches near my shin and even pain in the knees. I let it heal for just a couple of days and then went running again. As I continued to run, I never had pains ever again. I think maybe it's the initial stress? Not sure.

Also, if I take a 3 month break and start running, I'll get the same pains. Only until I get used to running that the pain never comes back.
Interesting. Well for now I'll just keep running, and stop whenever it aches to let it heal a bit. Hopefully it will go away, I'm not an avid runner or anything but I do like how good you feel after a nice jog.

Do you have newer shoes and are they proper shoes for your running style?

Sometimes pains end up going away after a while. I would also ice up after your runs too.

I don't have much experience with shin splints to really give a good recommendation.
I was thinking it may be my shoes. The are a little old, and slightly too snug. I have neutral pronation, and they are made for normal arches so they should fit me well. I'll try running again with them a few more times and if I still have pain I'll start looking at new shoes. The more I read, the more I think it's the shoes.

Thank you both for quick responses! I certainly appreciate it.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
I've got spurs...

So, I just got back from a jog and I have decided that the problem is that my left foot is slightly retarded.

When running I noticed my right foot is almost completely straight, where as my left foot turns inward a lot. It seems that one of my feet are pigeon toed, but only when running.

When I resisted and purposefully straightened out my left foot while I ran my shin didn't hurt nearly as much. I made it my whole run without out having to stop or slow down much. When I was a kid my feet would turn in pretty bad, so I purposefully walked straighter and it eventually went away. Maybe I'll have to do that again with running?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightus
So, I just got back from a jog and I have decided that the problem is that my left foot is slightly retarded.

When running I noticed my right foot is almost completely straight, where as my left foot turns inward a lot. It seems that one of my feet are pigeon toed, but only when running.

When I resisted and purposefully straightened out my left foot while I ran my shin didn't hurt nearly as much. I made it my whole run without out having to stop or slow down much. When I was a kid my feet would turn in pretty bad, so I purposefully walked straighter and it eventually went away. Maybe I'll have to do that again with running?
There's a running/shoe shop in my area that lets you get on a treadmill, run for a few and a worker there will assess your running style. If you're serious about running, maybe find a store like that?

But I guess since you already found your problem, it might not be of much help.

I have a question then, what should Lightus do in this situation? How can you really change something that you do naturally? I can imagine looking like I'm limping if I purposefully change my footing while running.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Q('.')=O

Regardless if you think you found out what the problem is or not I would also recommend going to a running store that assesses the way you run and they always give you the best shoes for your foot type and running style, especially if you are going to run on a regular basis. The only thing is the shoes they recommend for you, although the best fit for you, will most probably a lot more than what you are paying for a pair of shoes now.

If you do a lot of running and concentrate on keeping your feet straight you could possibly change it to become more natural that way... lots of repetition could change it , it certainly wouldn't be easy and won't come quick but I think it could possibly work.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 PM
I've got spurs...

Originally Posted by imj0257
Regardless if you think you found out what the problem is or not I would also recommend going to a running store that assesses the way you run and they always give you the best shoes for your foot type and running style, especially if you are going to run on a regular basis. The only thing is the shoes they recommend for you, although the best fit for you, will most probably a lot more than what you are paying for a pair of shoes now.

If you do a lot of running and concentrate on keeping your feet straight you could possibly change it to become more natural that way... lots of repetition could change it , it certainly wouldn't be easy and won't come quick but I think it could possibly work.

I would like to get some new shoes regardless. These are a bit old and are showing some wear (also they are a bit snug as already mentioned).

How much do "real" running shoes cost? I would be really nice to get a good pair, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I like running, but I'm not a marathon runner. If those shoes last awhile, I could see it as an investment. Otherwise, I'd have a hard time justifying a high cost.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Q('.')=O

Pretty much all running shoes are 'real' and cost $30 - $200. You can get a pair of running shoes at some sports store chain for $30 but if you go to a running store expect to pay at least $100. That is because they mostly carry the very best/top of the line shoes and they make sure they give you exactly the type of shoe that is best for you, whereas if you go to get a sports store to get a pair of shoes yourself you can spend a lot less but won't know if they are the best fit for you even though they might feel good.

If you don't have problems while running and like the shoes you are using now then I see no reason to switch to a more expensive pair.

I've gone to a running store to get shoe tested and they suggested a pair that was $125. But I run so much I don't want to spend that much on shoes 3 times a year. I've found a specific pair of shoes that I like and have been using for several years and get them every time I need a new pair, and they only cost ~$40 at most sports store chains.

Last edited by imj0257; 03-20-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:56 AM
I've got spurs...

I think I'm gonna try to find a running store locally that assess my running style. I don't run enough (yet) to go through three shoes a year, so I wouldn't mind dropping a bit more for a comfortable run. Not sure if they can do anything about my weird inward left leg but it's worth a shot. Even if it turns out to be too expensive, it'd be nice to know what to look for when trying to pick out a good running shoe.

Thanks again for all the help and quick responses! It's nice when people actually try to help out instead of reverting to random babble.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Just bought me some Mizuno Wave Creation 13s in Crimson. Definitely felt better than the Asics Gel Nimbus 13s. Can't wait to put them to the test!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM
registered pw

^ great looking shoe. i'd be interested how they work for you compared to the asics. I have been a lifelong asics wearer and always wondered how the other side felt.

I haven't signed up yet for the 10 miler on Sunday, probably b/c that distance scares me to race.
I will end up doing it today or tomorrow. I don't like signing up for major things like this too far in advance just in case i get hurt and can't run it and have already paid the entrance fee.

I am ready for it though. I have 80 miles in for the month so far. I ran on Sunday 8.25 miles and will run 5 tomorrow.

The lower part of my left quad felt sensitive to the touch the past two days so i have been icing it a few times each day and it feels good today.

Tomorrow will be an easy run just to keep the running feeling in my legs.

I hope to finish in 1:10-1:20. 1:20 if i am having a really bad day and 1:10 to keep a good 7 min pace.
1:05 isn't out of the question and very optimistic but we'll see how it goes, it's a flat course.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Q('.')=O

Good luck! I'm sure you will do fine..

I haven't been so lucky. About 2 weeks ago I got some kind of strain or pulled muscle in my right thigh. Whenever I ran on it I would feel this sharp pain on the upper inner part of my thigh but also a sore feeling on the top of my thigh. No idea what caused it or what it was but I have taken the last week and half off (I feel so lazy!).

At least I can tell it is getting better and I will go (or at least try to go) for a run this weekend to test it out.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

^ great looking shoe. i'd be interested how they work for you compared to the asics. I have been a lifelong asics wearer and always wondered how the other side felt.

The Mizunos are stiffer... I think they will take some time to break in. I've had some pain in my knee because I feel the ground more with these shoes but I hear these shoes are great so I'm giving them time. Maybe pick up some Nimbus-13s later so I can alternate shoes.

Other problem is I've been low on energy and my mind just isn't in it when it comes to running and such, I meant to run 5 miles yesterday but could only knock out 3 miles.

I NEED to get my motivation back, I have a half marathon a week from Saturday!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM
registered pw

Originally Posted by cM3go
The Mizunos are stiffer... I think they will take some time to break in. I've had some pain in my knee because I feel the ground more with these shoes but I hear these shoes are great so I'm giving them time. Maybe pick up some Nimbus-13s later so I can alternate shoes.

Other problem is I've been low on energy and my mind just isn't in it when it comes to running and such, I meant to run 5 miles yesterday but could only knock out 3 miles.

I NEED to get my motivation back, I have a half marathon a week from Saturday!

That's good to know, i think i'll stick with asics for now until they no longer work for me. Hopefully that's never.

I know the feeling with motivation, a couple weeks back i was in the same position. I don't know how i snapped out of it. I think i focused more and really mentally prepared myself for this race on Sunday and forced myself to stay on track.

imj; hopefully your injury wasn't too bad and when you ease back into it you'll get the miles back up.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Good luck this weekend Dallison!

There are a lot of light weight shoes being made now that aren't as beefy as what most Asics and Mizunos are. As I stated in a previous post, I have done almost all of my training in the new Brooks PureFlow shoes and I love them. I still have my Nimbus 12's as well as the NB 890's that I wore in the marathon last year and I recently picked up a pair of Newton Distance trainers. I have been switching back and forth between the Newtons and Brooks on shorter runs, but wear the Brooks exclusively for long runs. They are like having slippers on. When I wear my Asics or NB's I feel like I have concrete block on my feet compared to the Brooks or Newtons.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:10 AM
registered pw

Son of a bitch!! I woke up this morning and my toe next to my big toe felt like i sprained/broke it.

Last night i ran 4 miles and then .7 with our one dog. At the end we sprinted at 100% b/c he likes it. I didn't feel any pain before i went to bed but woke up at 2 am with my toe hurting like hell.

I registered for the 10 mile race last night. I usually wait until the last possible moment just in case i get an injury and won't be out the money. I thought i was safe.

I took advil this morning i'll take it tomorrow to see how much it masks the pain. If it feels better tomorrow and early Sunday, i'll run. If not i'll have to bag the freaking race i paid for just hours before after waiting months.

I have a 5k near philly next weekend so i'll see where i'm at on Sunday and then late next week.

bah!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Good luck! Hope its just a temporary thing and you're good by race day!

I'm going to attempt a long run 10-11 miles this weekend if I can to prep for my half the following weekend.... This is after barely running the last 2-3 weeks

Hope I can do it!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:10 AM
registered pw

Good luck running this weekend, you'll do it.

I woke up this morning and the toe pain is just faint. I took two more advil when i woke up and i'll see how it helps me.

If i don't feel much tomorrow, i'm running.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM
registered pw

1:11:00 550 runners, i don't know where i finished though. I'll have to wait to see it on the web.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Q('.')=O

Damn good time! Congrats.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
registered pw

Thanks, my ass is beat. Another guy and i ran together for 4-5 miles at a 6:36-7:05 pace and then i backed off after that. miles 7-10 were a bit slower but i sprinted the last 50 yards.

I have a 5k next Saturday, we'll see how quick i can do that.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, my ass is beat. Another guy and i ran together for 4-5 miles at a 6:36-7:05 pace and then i backed off after that. miles 7-10 were a bit slower but i sprinted the last 50 yards.

I have a 5k next Saturday, we'll see how quick i can do that.
Great job Dallison!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Good job Dallison! Glad you were able to pull through!

I ran my 11 miles on Sunday. Had to walk a bunch every so often, I got sharp knee pain on my right knee (similar to what i use to get on my left). My leg hurt all day yesterday and hurts less today I think its just stiff. I'm going to get a knee brace or use KT Tape and see if that helps and use that for race day.

Quick Reply: Started running again