Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Intermittent Fasting

Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I've read some articles saying that coffee and tea "breaks" the fast because your liver is still processing something. In my opinion, that's just purest talk. For me I've had tea/coffee in the morning and I haven't had it affect me negatively. Like Doom said, as long as you're not drinking anything in high calories/sugar where your body can reach out for it to burn as energy you should be fine. Of course I'm no doctor so don't take my word for it, but my body has been fine with tea/coffee in the morning.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I mean if it's working amirite. Some people take it to the extreme just to be extra
Old 02-12-2019, 02:53 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
How's progress? (For anyone still doing this)

Thinking back, IF worked better for maintenance than multiple small meals did. Or maybe I did both?

When I lift regularly my appetite becomes insatiable. But I'm a hangry bastard if I try to get by on small portions 4-6x/day. I find it easier to skip a meal than to eat less, like someone else mentioned.

My broscience theory is that you can only fit so much in your stomach in one sitting - having a reasonable breakfast and lunch don't normally seem to make me that less hungry at dinner.

By "skipping" a meal, you might eat a little more in another meal, but not as much as you would've had in total otherwise. Thus the caloric deficit.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Team Owner

I have 2 co-workers that have done it and lost weight.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:06 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
How's progress? (For anyone still doing this)

Thinking back, IF worked better for maintenance than multiple small meals did. Or maybe I did both?

When I lift regularly my appetite becomes insatiable. But I'm a hangry bastard if I try to get by on small portions 4-6x/day. I find it easier to skip a meal than to eat less, like someone else mentioned.

My broscience theory is that you can only fit so much in your stomach in one sitting - having a reasonable breakfast and lunch don't normally seem to make me that less hungry at dinner.

By "skipping" a meal, you might eat a little more in another meal, but not as much as you would've had in total otherwise. Thus the caloric deficit.
Still works. I have fallen off the work out wagon since the holidays...need to get back in the gym. But IF has kept me from gaining additional weight.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
I’ve been doing this since the beginning of the year.

it worked for a bit but then I started drinking coffee again with sugar and cream

time to go back to black coffee
Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Weak!
Drink hot water and chew coffee beans
Gains!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 04:34 PM
Team Owner

My buddy has had a messed up sleep cycle since starting do this but his calories are really low. Not sure if it's a symptom of IT or he's too low in his intake.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:00 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
IF has been working awesome for me. It has been one of the easiest and most effective weight loss so far. But just like any diet plans, IF only works if you do. You have to stick to it.

I like what Costco said above. IF works because it's trickery. You have somewhat of a small window to eat. Within that window you can only eat as much as your stomach can handle. What has been the most impact on my weight loss is IF stops me from snacking. I am a night owl and thus I was always snacking late nights.

It has been a long time coming but I finally hit below 160lbs. I can't remember the last time I was at this weight. It feels awesome.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 130 Posts
I'll try to keep this post organized, as short as possible, and to the point. Although, this might prove to be more difficult that I imagined, in retrospect now that I have finished typing. There are so many trivial pieces that all culminate together to provide the result. Right now, I'm certain that I'm missing information that didn't come to mind during this time that I wrote.

I decided to change my life completely over five years ago when I gave up the "SAD diet" and began incorporating a low carb + IF lifestyle. I'm calling it a lifestyle instead of a diet because I wanted to be able to sustain it for the remainder of my life. I imagine others are like me, where they ate the way they were raised (programmed) to do so, and didn't question it until their late teenage years, or early 20's, or if at all for that matter. It took a very long time conducting research, and then actually putting the knowledge to the test through my own personal trials and errors.

Quick background information about me. I was ~280 lb when I graduated high school. I was able to lose weight through the SAD diet, in ADDITION to calorie restriction, and in addition to exercise.. I managed to get down to ~200 lb 6 months later, but ultimately gained back most of the weight back. I have made that journey from ~280 to ~200 twice. This was all prior to 2017, when I began incorporating the current lifestyle. Since 2017, I have been lean. The only way I gain weight (read: fat) is through excessive consumption of food. The only way ANYBODY gains weight/fat is through excessive consumption of calories!

I feel that majority of people only rely on one or two sources for their information, and if that information doesn't hold to be true for them, they dismiss it without any more regards to the matter. I had to find countless sources, and gather the ones that all coincided together with the same, or very similar, information. I've made a lot of mistakes throughout that process, and ultimately found the foundation of my lifestyle. Here's the advice I have for everyone who isn't happy with their current lifestyle situation:

1) Conduct relentless research, A LOT of research.
2) Begin experimenting in different ways, and find out what works best for YOU!
3) Don't base your information from one or two sources, but from 30 or more.
4) It doesn't matter what anyone says, until YOU FEEL the results for yourself, the points are null and void.
5) You don't have to follow a low carb threshold, but you should at the very least eliminate all processed foods and simple carbs out of the equation.
6) Ingredients are more important than macros.
7) The foundation, and goal, is to eat enough protein. Fats and carbs are just fuel, whereas protein is the building block staple of any lifestyle.
8) Do NOT mix fats and carbs together. Eat either or, but not both simultaneously. Insulin is the sole factor that decides if you store fat, or burn fat.
9) When you're fasting, you're still "eating," however in a different sense. You're "eating" your own body's fat stores.
10) You need to intake electrolytes on a daily basis: sodium, potassium, and magnesium. (This gets a lot more intricate if you also exercise.)

Essentially, you need to thoroughly understand how the hormone called insulin works. That's literally what this combination of food and the body boil down to.

I dislike the word "keto" these days. Low carb prepares your body to switch over from primarily burning carbs as fuel, to burning fat as fuel. A "keto" diet may help you during that process of your body relearning how to burn fat, but I feel it's an unnecessary consumption of extra calories. Why low carb + IF work perfectly in tandem, is because at some point, your body will have switched over to primarily burning fat from your specific food intake; and during the time you fast, you're already in fat burning mode, so your body is essentially supercharged to burn its own fat.

You can combine high carb + IF, but the results won't be as profound since your body would need time to swap from burning carbs to burning fat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My past five years of research and experimentation have culminated to this moment, where my personal, tailored lifestyle includes the following:

1) OMAD: I eat only one time a day.
2) Low carb: I don't count carbs, but I do try to consciously limit how much I take in on a daily basis.
3) Main macro: Protein should be the macro that takes priority over all. Fats and carbs are fuel, where protein are the building blocks.
4) Prolong fasting: I partake in prolong fasts at least once a month.
5) Hydration: I only drink black coffee, tea, water, mineral water, and carbonated water. The key here is a no calorie/macro drink.

My staple meals that I can eat every single day for the remainder of my life are:
1) Omelette.
2) Grass fed, grass finished meat.
3) I also have a wide array of spices that I add to all of my meals that are crucial in this endeavor.

I'm 6'7" and weigh anywhere from 200-220 lb, depending on how much I want to eat. I can eat A LOT! I've had days where I've consumed 10,000 calories. I've had weeks where I've consumed 0 calories. It all depends on how much I want to eat. Here is what ULTIMATELY matters: how I feel. I feel INVINCIBLE!!! When your blood glucose level is stable throughout the entire day, with minimal spikes from the specific food you eat, you will also feel this same way: invincible. I have to imagine if others follow this path, they would never consider reverting back to the original SAD diet.

It's a rather heavy endeavor trying to recall over five years of knowledge into one condensed post, and obviously I can't do it justice at this time. I tried to point out the most important and crucial aspects in as few words as possible. I would really need to sit down and thoroughly ponder a way to formulate all of the information in a reasonably accessible manner. If this information helps even one person, then I'm very happy to have pointed you in the right direction. I hope everyone can find their own tailored lifestyle that they can sustain for the remainder of their lives, and live as healthy as they possibly can!