Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

How's this workout plan?

Old 01-24-2006, 01:40 AM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb How's this workout plan?

Hi guys, now being that I am back in school and in full swing of things (essentially 8am to 6pm class/work/meetings days), I am finding less and less time to be able to spend in the gym (unlike the 2 hours a day and 5-6 times a week minimum I had during the summer).

In any case, I am only able to spend about an hour each time in the gym, long workouts just cut way too much time into my studying... so how does this sound?

*Note: All lifting is upon Abreece's tips. High intensity heavy weight lifting. I usually pyramid the weight and reps for 10-8-6-4 reps and upping the weight. Essentially, I lift until I sweat.... everytime.*

Mon - Assorted cardio (running/stadium stairs/running sprints/boxing and jumprope/breakdance/random cardio machines/etc.)

Tues - Chest and Back

Wed - Cardio/shoulders

Thurs - Biceps and Triceps

Frid - Lowerback, legs, shoulders, cardio if I have time

Sat/Sunday - Cardio and or recovering from hangover

-Just a note, I am not able to do cardio really quickly right after each workout, as waiting for a machine at my overcrowded school gym can end up equalling about 20-30 minutes just for the wait alone. To me, it's just too much of a waste of time.

-I'll figure out a way to throw in abs once I start losing some fat and the muscle can actually show (or should I just start on the abs right away, as I'm not horrendously fat, but would still consider myself a meaty fellow).
Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
well this is my schedule and it has been working great for me so far:

mon: shoulders/biceps
tue: chest/triceps
wed: back/legs
thu: shoulders/biceps
fri: chest/triceps

little bit of cardio everyday, low reps high weight
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you'll find that you prefer your cardio on completely separate days from your weight lifting.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
well this is my schedule and it has been working great for me so far:

mon: shoulders/biceps
tue: chest/triceps
wed: back/legs
thu: shoulders/biceps
fri: chest/triceps

little bit of cardio everyday, low reps high weight
I suppose that's the problem. I dont' have enough time essentially to do a bit of cardio everyday, considering I would run a mile on the treadmill a day, that would easily kill about 45 minutes that could be spent doing homework... =/

I just wnated to see if anyone else did cardio on totally separate days.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Some people have told me not to do tris and biceps on the same day but I don't care.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
I suppose that's the problem. I dont' have enough time essentially to do a bit of cardio everyday, considering I would run a mile on the treadmill a day, that would easily kill about 45 minutes that could be spent doing homework... =/

I just wnated to see if anyone else did cardio on totally separate days.
by a little cardio i mean a 5-10 min run before i lift to get my heart rate up, thats all
Old 01-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

I'd suggest SOME rest in there, at least 1 day off. Just my take on how important an off-day is with any regimen.

One other thing sticks out - delts. You work chest and then delts 2x a week. Are your delts lagging? That might be a little too much for such a small muscle group. If you want to hit delts 2x a week, I'd suggest doing them same day as chest and then the same day at tris/bis. That way you have enough rest in between delt sessions, but still hit them 2x a week. Also, you should be able to mix in delts, bis and tris in the same session and keep it under 45 min, 60 tops.

Lastly, don't just throw in abs when you can, strong abs = strong all around lifting. People neglect abs when in fact they should work them 1-2x a week. Just think about how often abs come into play when lifting? A great tip is to do weak/neglected muscles FIRST instead of just throwing them in at the end, since that is usually how they won't get any attention.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:29 PM
That's Racist

In actuality, my delts really aren't that lacking. Would it be better to just do them once a week?

Maybe I should buy a jump rope and just do a good 15 minute jump rope session before I start lifting. Does anyone know how good of cardio jumproping is in comparison to running?

I'll take the abs workout tip into consideration too.

My rest days are essentially on weekends. I count my gym time in work week terms. This is because my weekends are usually packed, and or I go home and have no time for the gym.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Advanced

In any case, I am only able to spend about an hour each time in the gym
An hour is PLENTY of time to hit everything hard.

Tues - Chest and Back

Wed - Cardio/shoulders

Thurs - Biceps and Triceps

Frid - Lowerback, legs, shoulders, cardio if I have time
Hmm..Well, I'd say that training chest and back together isn't really the best. Two large muscles...the one that is trained last will lack energy(intensity). And training shoulders the day before chest is not great either. Your shoulders will be fatigued from the previous day's workout.

If you want to split everything and not train certain things 2x per week, you could go:

back/biceps
cardio
chest/triceps/shoulders
cardio
legs/lowerback
rest
rest

Or something of that sort. If you are fairly new to lifting, maybe a push/pull or an upper/lower or full body workout will be more suitable.

I'll figure out a way to throw in abs once I start losing some fat
Don't wait! Do them now. That way, when you get cut the abs will already be there. Make sure you do core work...a strong core means strong major lifts. Stronger deadlifts, stronger, squats...the important things.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PerfectlyImperfect

back/biceps
cardio
chest/triceps/shoulders
cardio
legs/lowerback
rest
rest
This is pretty much my split, only i work the lower back with my other back exercises, and I skip cardio
Old 01-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABreece
This is pretty much my split, only i work the lower back with my other back exercises, and I skip cardio
Skip cardio?!?! Blasphemy! I really hate you people that can get away with that.

My cardio is minimal. My light days account for cardio. Lighter than usual weight + less rest between sets + more reps = Glycogen Depleted Lovliness. I honestly think it's harder than cardio...hence the reason I suggest a push/pull split.

Since you work lower back with other back exercises, do you do deadlifts on back days? Or do you do them on leg day? Am I being too nosey?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned

I know you asked Breece, but wanted to add that I personally do lower back on back day, which includes deadlifts. I work my lower back with good mornings more than anything.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

In actuality, my delts really aren't that lacking. Would it be better to just do them once a week?

Maybe I should buy a jump rope and just do a good 15 minute jump rope session before I start lifting. Does anyone know how good of cardio jumproping is in comparison to running?

I'll take the abs workout tip into consideration too.

My rest days are essentially on weekends. I count my gym time in work week terms. This is because my weekends are usually packed, and or I go home and have no time for the gym.
I think 3x a week is too much for delts, but 2x is not necessarily overkill. I do chest/delts/tris on the same day right now, so I am hitting delts 2 different ways. I bet you'd be fine doing 2x a week.

Also, you might think about NOT doing any warmup before lifting - I used to do that, but on the advice of gavrill, I just went straight into my lifting routine. Even though I was skeptical, I tried it and will admit that I have been able to lift more weight without sacraficing anything, like form or "comfort" level. Just something to consider.

And definitely think about the abs - you are only as strong as your weakest link and abs come into play more than you think. Core strength should not be neglected.

Good luck dude and kick some ass!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Skip cardio?!?! Blasphemy! I really hate you people that can get away with that.
We'll see how lean i can get without it. No problems so far though. My body hates being in much of a caloric deficit, i can reach my limit without cardio pretty easily.

Since you work lower back with other back exercises, do you do deadlifts on back days? Or do you do them on leg day? Am I being too nosey?
Deadlifts are done on back days.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Interesting...since deadlifts hit the hammies, too. I guess it really doesn't matter if you rest enough between back day and leg day. I never felt "right" doing them on leg day...nor on back day. In any event...I think that putting stress on the fibers 2x per week is more beneficial. Just my

Adam, are you one of those non-cardio people that I hate like Breece?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting...since deadlifts hit the hammies, too. I guess it really doesn't matter if you rest enough between back day and leg day. I never felt "right" doing them on leg day...nor on back day. In any event...I think that putting stress on the fibers 2x per week is more beneficial. Just my

Adam, are you one of those non-cardio people that I hate like Breece?
Actually i should clarify - i do regular deadlifts on back day, but straight-legged deadlifts on leg day. SLDLs hit my hammies a lot harder and don't put as much stress on my adductors, which get raped by both squats and deadlifts. Back and leg day are far apart in the week
Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 PM
That's Racist

I've modified my workout plan since the day I started the thread; any advice on this would be helpful; it's been great for me so far this summer as my diet has cleaned up A LOT to accompany it

Mon - Chest and Tri's
Tuesday - Cardio + weighted abs (stadium stairs)
Wednesday - Back and Biceps
Thursday - Cardio + non- weighted abs (sprints + other HIIT)
Friday - Shoulders + Legs

Suggestions? Critiques? Thx y'all