Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

The ESSENTIALS of losing fat and gaining muscle - THE WORKOUT

Old 07-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ESSENTIALS of losing fat and gaining muscle - THE WORKOUT

First things first: here's a great workout. This guy knows his stuff and his routine WORKS. It'll kick your ass, but that's a good thing. Try it for at least a few months, then change things if you want. It's good for either gaining muscle mass or losing fat. For the latter you might want to drop the squats on Wednesday, and possibly the incline dumbell press and tricep extensions.

This took me to 400 squat 250ish bench 425 deadlift in a very short amount of time. i think this kind of program is what a lot of people need to be using on f&n, as a lot of you have no base, muscle mass, and lack strength. quit worrying aobut elaborate programs, eat and do this and you'll have a strong base in no time. don't whine about bench/squat/dead in the same workout as most of you can easily handle that.

Monday
Squats-5x5(Do four progressively heavier sets of 5 with the 5th set being your 5RM.)
Deadlifts-5x5(Do the same)
Bench Press-5x5(Do the same)
Incline dumbell Press-2x12-20

Wednesday
Light Squats or Lunges-4x8 each leg
Good Mornings-3x8-12
Shoulder Press-5x5 or Dips-4xmax until you get 12 each time. then add weight.
Pullups-4xmax

Friday
Squats-warmup to a 3 reps with 5 more lbs than you used on Monday. On the following monday use this weight for your 5th set.
Bent Over Row-5x5
Incline Bench-5x5
Tricep Extensions-2x12-20
Do this routine for two weeks using little to no weight just to get your form down. If you can get someone to help you with your squat and deadlift form, doing those wrong is a good way to really screw yourself up.

When it comes to working out here's some things you should know.

0. PROPER FORM IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL
If you are doing your exercises with improper form you run a huge risk of hurting yourself. At the very least you are getting a poor workout. If you can bench 250lb by squirming and kicking and bouncing the bar off your chest, but only 50lbs by using good, solid, proper form, stick with the 50lbs. It's a much better workout. The point of working out is to work your muscles, not put up big weights. You're only hurting your gains by cheating.

Also, don't worry about looking weak. The only people who care that you're not bench pressing 300lbs are the ones that don't matter. Anyone who knows their shit is secretly laughing at the "tough guys" who think they're huge for being able to bench big numbers by arching their back and bouncing the bar off their chest.

1. Free weights are better than machines.
Free weights will give you a better range of motion and a better workout than a machine every time. One of the major probelms with machines is they take away the need for the little stabilizer muscles in your body. These are important for building strength and size. A good example is the squat vs. the leg press. On the leg press you're going to use your gluts and your quads. With a squat you will be using almost every muscle in your legs and lower torso to not only lift the weight, but help keep it balanced.

I know this from first hand experience: i used to ignore the squat for fear of hurting myself. I found a good lifting partner to spot me so i started doing squats a while back. Let me tell you, the weight i can squat is PATHETIC, yet my leg press weight is pretty normal for someone with my build.

2. Compound exercises are great.
You'll see the most benefit from the exercises that allow you to move the most weight - the bench press, squat, and deadlift. All three of these use many muscles in your body. Try starting out your workout with one of them, and then move onto an exercise that focuses on the individual parts that are used in each exercise.

3. Hit every area on your body at least once a week.
This one is something a lot of people mess up. You're wasting your time if your idea of a workout is bicep curls and the bench press three times a week. You won't see optimal gains without balanced muscle growth. Any gains you do see will make you look like a freak at best (ever see guys with huge upper bodies and chicken legs?), and cause you injuries at worst.

I know a lot of people that are always saying "SQUAT TO GROW" and it's the truth - squats help spur muscle growth in your entire body.

You don't have to hit everything every day but once a week you should hit all the major muscle groups.

4. Intensity matters!
You cannot expect to see good gains in the gym if you don't work hard. You have to bust your ass in the gym to see gains. If you aren't sweating your balls off and unable to walk straight when you're done, you aren't working hard enough. You should spend an hour in the gym three times a week for your workout. If you do it right, you won't want to spend any more than that. An excellent way to get an intense workout is to keep the weight high and the reps low.

For example, if you want to lift more than 3 times a week using the routine at the top of the page, you aren't working hard enough.

In short:

1) GOOD FORM ABOVE ALL ELSE
2) Intensity is very important
3) Hit all the major muscle groups at least once a week.
4) Machines bad, free weights good

Even shorter:

1) Lift heavy weights with good form.

Common questions

You mentioned losing fat. I thought cardio was the best for this!

Not true! For burning calories, lifting weights is great!

An hour of high weight low rep intense weight lifting versus an hour of vigorous cardio will net about the same amount of calories burned over that hour. Actually the cardio will probably burn more calories in that amount of time. HOWEVER, your body quickly returns to its normal metabolic rate after you finish a long cardio session. After lifting it does not.

The period of time after exercise in which your body burns more than its normal amount of energy is called the epoch. The epoch of cardio is short lived and doesn't do much for you. The epoch induced by weight lifting has been shown in some studies to last up to 48 hours, and that metabolic increase is greater than the one in a cardio epoch. The overall effect is weight lifting burns a lot of calories.

In addition to the extra calories burned, weight training helps preserve muscle mass when trying to lose fat. When you aren't eating enough to fulfill your body's caloric requirements, it will go to both your muscles and your fat stores for energy. Lifitng weights will tell your body that you need that muscle and it will burn more fat.

You know what that means? You don't HAVE to do cardio. I lost 50lbs of fat with only diet changes and weight lifting. I didn't do one minute of exercise that coul dbe considered cardio. That's not to say that it won't help, but it isn't necessary. Twice a week for 30-40 minutes is enough. Do it on days you don't lift weights.

Low reps with high weight? But I don't want to get all big and bulky, i just want to tone! High reps with low weight, right?
Every time i hear someone use the word tone like that i want to stab them in the face.

An easy 25 reps at a light weight just makes your muscles tired, it doesn't do much to actually encourage growth. You will NOT get "all big and bulky" like the professional bodybuilders out there, that shit takes years and lots of drugs. If you want to see more definition, lose bodyfat. Some people find that 8 rep sets, or 12 rep sets, or 3 rep sets benefit them more than 5 rep sets. What will give you the most benefit is different for everyone and changes with time. The 5 reps in 5 sets routine outlined above is a good starting point. After a few months you can tweak it if you want.

For more info on this "toning" BS, check out these links:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/toning.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet5.htm
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html

But I'm a girl! i don't want to get all big and manly!
All the shit I've posted in here applies to you females, too. Unless you're using steroids you won't even begin to look like a guy - WOMEN DO NOT BULK UP LIKE MEN. There's a girl at my gym who lifts and eats just as hardcore as the big boys and she has one of the best - I'm talking feminine here - bodies i have ever seen. Those girls you see on TV that look like men are using steroids and have VERY low bodyfat, much lower than you can have without a lot of specific diet changes and hard work.

I want to look like brad pitt in fight club!
Stop eating. All Mr. Pitt was in fight club was skinny, he has very little muscle mass in that flick.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Pretty comprehensive stuff...

Just the one obvious tidbit that diet matters too...Eat smart, drink water.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Good stuff....

I have lost a lot of weight, but I still have a bit of a overhanging stomach. What is your suggestion?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post....Except I have come to the conclusion that no one specific workout fits everyone. I feel that you have to custom tailor your workout to you. What works for someone else, might not work for you. I have had good sucess with the workout I am on.

4 times a week....no particular order. I also try and do different exercises every couple of weeks to switch it up.

Back and Biceps
Chest and Tris
Shoulders
Legs

I also run(or play ball)and do situps. I do 3 exercises (3 sets of 10 each exercise) for each muscle group. I always workout with a friend and do heavy weight/high intensity using free weights. My personal opinion is that it's critical to have a spotter, since I never push myself without that safety net. I always get a better workout with one. Just choose someone that wants to workout and not chat. Using this basic workout, I went from barely being able to bench 135 to repping 235 3 sets of 10 in 2 years, for example. I take no supplements, instead I try to eat foods rich in protein. I am no expert, just sharing what works for me.

Also, I also gained a good amount of weight. My license from a few years ago says 165 and I am 195 (plus or minus a pound or two). My arms are starting to get strech marks near my armpits, anyone got a cure for this?

Last edited by Maximized; 07-21-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
Good stuff....

I have lost a lot of weight, but I still have a bit of a overhanging stomach. What is your suggestion?
yea i have a huge gut, what can i do that'll help me get rid of this faster?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Maximized
Good post....Except I have come to the conclusion that no one specific workout fits everyone. I feel that you have to custom tailor your workout to you. What works for someone else, might not work for you. I have had good sucess with the workout I am on.

Also, I also gained a good amount of weight. My license from a few years ago says 165 and I am 195 (plus or minus a pound or two). My arms are starting to get strech marks near my armpits, anyone got a cure for this?
An excellent point. Getting in shape is a personal thing. People can give you advice, but it's just guidelines. Tweak your workout and your diet to fit your needs.

Vitamin E and cocoa butter for stretch marks. There's also some stuff your dermatologist can prescribe, i can't remember the name at the moment.

Originally Posted by wsklar
Good stuff....

Keep at it Your stomache is the last place you're going to lose fat. Or, more accurately, your body keeps more fat on your stomach than any other place (usually), so it seems like it's the last to go.

How does your diet look? Take a look at this thread if you haven't - https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/essentials-losing-fat-gaining-muscle-your-diet-313468/. A 6 pack is made in the kitchen, not the gym
Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ABreece
An excellent point. Getting in shape is a personal thing. People can give you advice, but it's just guidelines. Tweak your workout and your diet to fit your needs.

Vitamin E and cocoa butter for stretch marks. There's also some stuff your dermatologist can prescribe, i can't remember the name at the moment.
Thanks....Next time I am at the dermatologist I will ask about getting some prescription medicine. I heard that cocoa butter doesn't work well, but its worth a try.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 AM
minibike wheelie king ;-)

Abreece do you have links to good workout/health forums????
Old 07-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Also, does anyone have a link where it shows pictorals of different exercises. I am looking to add some new exercises into my routine. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Also, does anyone have a link where it shows pictorals of different exercises. I am looking to add some new exercises into my routine. Thanks in advance!

I've found this page pretty useful.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
Old 07-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Arctic Blue Pearl

What time span did that dude in your first post take to shape up like that? Only time I've ever seen that big a difference in less than a year is with the use of steroids.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:43 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Originally Posted by Gixxster
Abreece do you have links to good workout/health forums????

hey, someone in this forum told me about this one also..

www.crucialfitness.com

There, they also say.. IT ALL STARTS IN THE DIET!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Too Legit to Quit

This is a GREAT link for excerises with pics and if anyone has any questions with how to do specific exercises.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm
Old 08-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Too Legit to Quit

Here is also a good forum for anyone with questions on Steroids, suppliments or nutrition advise.

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/
Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JLavino
What time span did that dude in your first post take to shape up like that? Only time I've ever seen that big a difference in less than a year is with the use of steroids.
I'll ask him if i get the chance. I don't remember if he used any pro-hormones or not, i know he wasn't using true steroids at the time.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

0. PROPER FORM IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL
If by "proper" you mean "strict" then the above is untrue. LOOSE form is the best way to reach maximum overload and hence the most efficient way to grow muscle.

1. Free weights are better than machines.

Free weights will give you a better range of motion and a better workout than a machine every time. One of the major probelms with machines is they take away the need for the little stabilizer muscles in your body.
Although ROM is of huge importance, I would put as "gravity" as the primary reason of why free weights are better. Free weights are better because it is easier to conform them to your body's natural way of motion. Another reason why LOOSE form is critical and necessary instead of strict form, btw.

I know this from first hand experience: i used to ignore the squat for fear of hurting myself. I found a good lifting partner to spot me so i started doing squats a while back. Let me tell you, the weight i can squat is PATHETIC, yet my leg press weight is pretty normal for someone with my build.
KNow that for spotting someone who is squating under a barbell, requires two spotters. One on each side of the barbell. One spotter jeopardazes yours and his/her safety.

3. Hit every area on your body at least once a week.
You mean, '...at most once a week"? If not, then the above is false. Working out muscle groups more than once a week is counterproductive. In certain cases, 10 day cycles are necessary. Overtraining will actually lead to you getting weaker and even lose muscle.

This one is something a lot of people mess up. You're wasting your time if your idea of a workout is bicep curls and the bench press three times a week. You won't see optimal gains without balanced muscle growth. Any gains you do see will make you look like a freak at best (ever see guys with huge upper bodies and chicken legs?), and cause you injuries at worst.
Actually, although all of the above is true, here is what I think of the major reason why it's important to make sure one includes the largest muscle groups on our bodies in their routine:

Testosterone secretion!

What this means is that when you do squats and deadlifts, your chest, ab, bicep, tricep, etc growth benefits also. Why? Because the larger the muscle group stimulated, the more testosterone will be secreted and at higher levels. So it's a win-win situation. To put it simply, striving to grow your legs and lower back, will help you grow your arms, traps, chest, etc.

4. Intensity matters!
You cannot expect to see good gains in the gym if you don't work hard. You have to bust your ass in the gym to see gains.
Although intensity is 50% of stimulation, it's important to differentiate what "busting my ass at the gym means". There are actually ways to work out so that you'd feel you are busting your ass, but what you're doing is actually hurting yourself. The spotter yelling "ONE MORE REP" pounding on the table is counterproductive, for example. Being at the gym for 2 hours lifting weights is also counterproductive. There are other examples but my point is that intensity is your friend only when used within certain boundaries and those are met only you follow certain principles in the gym.

2) Low reps, high weight
Yes but, what does that mean exactly? The answer to that one is one of the principles I referred to before.

Common questions

You mentioned losing fat. I thought cardio was the best for this!

Not true! For burning calories, lifting weights is actually better!

An hour of high weight low rep intense weight lifting versus an hour of vigorous cardio will net about the same amount of calories burned over that hour. Actually the cardio will probably burn more calories in that amount of time. HOWEVER, your body quickly returns to its normal metabolic rate after you finish a long cardio session. After lifting it does not.
I am not sure about this one. Plus you are very vague above. The amount of calofies one burns when doing cleans, jerks, squats and deadlifts are not nearly the same as if they were working on their biceps, traps, forearms, etc. So the muscle group exerciesed is paramount and might make or break the above argument. Also, the way one lifts is also of paramount importance.

One thing is for sure though and this is something that made me think a lot about future strategy: THE MORE MUSCLE ONE HAS, THE MORE CALORIES THEY WILL BURN NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO.

Think about how important that one is.

Low reps with high weight? But I don't want to get all big and bulky, i just want to tone! High reps with low weight, right?
Every time i hear someone use the word tone like that i want to stab them in the face.
That's right. Because there is no such thing as...toning. There is lose fat or add muscle, or the combination of the two.

The most effective way to increase the size and strength of your muscles is with low reps and heavy weights. You need to stress your muscles to see improvement. An easy 15 reps at a light weight just makes them tired.
Depends. If the above assumes 15 reps to failure then the above is mostly true, if it's 15 reps nowhere near failure then it's called a warmup set.

But I'm a girl! i don't want to get all big and manly!
All the shit I've posted in here applies to you females, too. Unless you're using steroids you won't even begin to look like a guy - WOMEN DO NOT BULK UP LIKE GUYS. There's a girl at my gym who lifts and eats just as hardcore as the big boys and she has one of the best - I'm talking feminine here - bodies i have ever seen. Those girls you see on TV that look like men are using steroids and have VERY low bodyfat, much lower than you can have without a lot of specific diet changes and hard work.
True. ANd the reason women will not "bulk up" like men is because of severely lower amounts of testosterone in their bodies.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Let me preface this by saying i'm not entirely happy with this thread, and i have been meaning to rewrite it.

Originally Posted by gavriil
If by "proper" you mean "strict" then the above is untrue. LOOSE form is the best way to reach maximum overload and hence the most efficient way to grow muscle.
By proper i mean proper. Do the exercise the way it was meant to be performed. For example, don't wiggle your back like you're doing "The Worm" when your'e doing bicep curls. No jumping with your legs when shrugging, etc. Exceptions can be made for those last few reps you're trying to grind out, but keep that to a minimum.

Although ROM is of huge importance, I would put as "gravity" as the primary reason of why free weights are better. Free weights are better because it is easier to conform them to your body's natural way of motion. Another reason why LOOSE form is critical and necessary instead of strict form, btw.
I wouldn't disagree.

KNow that for spotting someone who is squating under a barbell, requires two spotters. One on each side of the barbell. One spotter jeopardazes yours and his/her safety.
An important point. I should add info on spotting to this thread.

You mean, '...at most once a week"? If not, then the above is false. Working out muscle groups more than once a week is counterproductive. In certain cases, 10 day cycles are necessary. Overtraining will actually lead to you getting weaker and even lose muscle.
You're right

Actually, although all of the above is true, here is what I think of the major reason why it's important to make sure one includes the largest muscle groups on our bodies in their routine:

Testosterone secretion!

What this means is that when you do squats and deadlifts, your chest, ab, bicep, tricep, etc growth benefits also. Why? Because the larger the muscle group stimulated, the more testosterone will be secreted and at higher levels. So it's a win-win situation. To put it simply, striving to grow your legs and lower back, will help you grow your arms, traps, chest, etc.
I forgot to mention this, but don't see it being as important as the balance the body strives for, and avoiding injury. NOT to discount what you said. Improving testosterone production will do many good things for someone. The bottom line is working out everything == good, not working out everything == bad.

Although intensity is 50% of stimulation, it's important to differentiate what "busting my ass at the gym means". There are actually ways to work out so that you'd feel you are busting your ass, but what you're doing is actually hurting yourself. The spotter yelling "ONE MORE REP" pounding on the table is counterproductive, for example. Being at the gym for 2 hours lifting weights is also counterproductive. There are other examples but my point is that intensity is your friend only when used within certain boundaries and those are met only you follow certain principles in the gym.
The boundaries are the principals i mentioned in the first post - no more than an hour per day in the gym, your form is good, you've got a balanced workout, etc. Work your balls off and stay inside of those boundaries.

I would consider a spotter yelling "ONE MORE, PUSSY" to be motivational, but YMMV.

Yes but, what does that mean exactly? The answer to that one is one of the principles I referred to before.
This is one thing i intend to explain further when i rewrite the post. I mostly wanted to dispell the rumors that high reps will get you "toned," but this concept needs more information.

I am not sure about this one. Plus you are very vague above. The amount of calofies one burns when doing cleans, jerks, squats and deadlifts are not nearly the same as if they were working on their biceps, traps, forearms, etc. So the muscle group exerciesed is paramount and might make or break the above argument. Also, the way one lifts is also of paramount importance.
If you have a proper split and a well designed workout, and are lifting properly, you will burn more calories over the course of that split than if you spent the same amount of time on the treadmill. This hinges on one thing - intensity. Be sweating and short of breath, feel like you're doing some work. I can't really explain it more than that, you'll know you're doing it right, i guess

One thing is for sure though and this is something that made me think a lot about future strategy: THE MORE MUSCLE ONE HAS, THE MORE CALORIES THEY WILL BURN NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO.

Think about how important that one is.
While that is true, i think it is an overrated concept.

That's right. Because there is no such thing as...toning. There is lose fat or add muscle, or the combination of the two.

Depends. If the above assumes 15 reps to failure then the above is mostly true, if it's 15 reps nowhere near failure then it's called a warmup set.
I would argue that 8 or 10 reps to failure is more effective at breaking down your muscles than 15. I read a good study on this a while back, i wish i could find it.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I would argue that 8 or 10 reps to failure is more effective at breaking down your muscles than 15. I read a good study on this a while back, i wish i could find it.

What do you mean by "breaking down your muscles"?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Let me help you a little bit with those "principles" mentioned above but never noted in detail. I call upon most of them here (starting on this post and going on for a few more pages):

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...88#post1760888
Old 03-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered Schmegistered

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Lots of conficting information just in this post. I disagree in the training one muscle group once a week. Here's an article I read not too long ago that changed my thinking. It's long but a good read. Also the body for life plan that I stuck too when I first decided to change my fitness lifestyle has me working the same muscle group more than once a week.

Virtually everything you’ve ever read from a bodybuilding magazine is heresy and should be regarded as not worth the paper it was printed on. The programs written by the so called “superstars” of the bodybuilding world were actually ghost written by some guy in a cubicle who doesn’t know a thing about proper training, programming, exercise phys, or periodization. If, by chance the program was actually written by the “superstar” you can rest easy as long as you are one of the most genetically gifted people in history AND you are on such a ridiculous amount of drugs that you have to tan to hide the yellowing of your skin due to liver failure.
The fact is that big, strong guys are a dime a dozen, and many of them get that way in spite of their training knowledge than because of it.
I know what I’m talking about in the world of training not because I’m the biggest or the strongest (although, at 270lbs and an 800 squat, 600 bench, and 700 deadlift I can hold my own), and not because I know the most about exercise phys (though I can hold my own there too), but because I have trained with and become friends with best. I have trained at Westside Barbell Club, with the Metal Militia, talk on a continual basis with the best strength coaches in the nation and world-wide, and the training methods I prescribe have been tested in the gym on literally hundreds and hundreds of regular, everyday athletes and shown to work. Period.
So here’s what I can stand before you today and say with great conviction what I know to be true about training:
1) I believe in general that the majority of people don’t work hard enough. If there’s one thing we can learn from the old Eastern Bloc countries, it’s that they worked harder than us, and that primarily, is why they always beat us in the Olympics. Work hard in the gym (even if your program sucks) and you will be rewarded.
2) I also believe that most people don’t put near enough emphasis on lower body and core work. The key to getting big is full squats and deadlifts. If you are looking at your routine and you see that you are training upper body 3 or 4 days per week and lower body once, you have a serious problem. The majority of athletes should live and die in the squat rack.
3) And for that matter, EVERYONE’S program should be centered on these exercises: Full Squat, Deadlifts (or cleans or both), heavy barbell rows, bench press, and Standing Barbell Military/Push Presses. Add pull ups, barbell curls, dips, heavy abdominal work, and some core work (back extensions, reverse hypers, or glute hams) and that should make up 95-100% of the total number of exercises you do. The most effective training is simple and hard.
4) Training a bodypart once per week (and one bodypart per day) is one of the worst ways to train. It will create a rut in your training that you can’t dig out of.
Training a bodypart twice per week has always been shown to be superior to once per week training of a muscle. The problem is with the influx of "Weider Principles" and other bodybuilding trash that's posted in the magazines, the masses have been stuck in the one-bodypart-per-day-per-week rut for years.
No strength athletes train a bodypart once per week. Most olympic lifters, powerlifters, and strongman train their backs at least four times per week, and last time I checked, they weren't lacking in back width.
The simple fact is that training using an upper/lower split or a push/pull split or 3 full body days will provide double or triple the training stimulus than training a muscle once per week and thus, if done correctly will lead to much, much greater growth and strength gains.

5) Training to near muscular failure has shown to induce identical hypertrophy gains than training to all out muscular failure. The reason you guys can’t train a muscle more than once per week is because you are destroying it when you do train it. Learn to hit or miss that last rep and then call it done. Don’t do ridiculous amounts of forced reps, negatives, etc. until you literally can’t move the muscle. Take it to near failure and then your muscles will recover enough so that you can train them again in 3-4 days.
Understand that there is a huge difference in training to near failure and not training hard. I would never advocate to not train hard. Actually, quite the opposite – try to squat for 5 sets of 5 reps using only 10lbs less than your five rep max. That’s absolutely brutal. But when you get done, don’t go to the leg press machine and keep pounding out sets and stripping off weight until you literal can’t do a single leg press with only the sled. That’s absurd, and you can’t recover from it in 3 days.
6) Squat at least below parallel every time. Are you kidding me? I can’t believe some people are still quarter squatting and saying that riding a squat all the way to the ground is bad for your knees. Learn the facts. Stopping at or above parallel puts much more strain on your knees than going ass to grass. Plus going all the way down in an Olympic style back squat will put more mass on you than any other exercise. Period.
7) Isolation exercises are absolute crap. 90% of your routine should be made up of full squats, deadlifts or cleans, bench press, standing overhead press, heavy barbell rows, pull-ups, dips, and core work (abs, glute ham raises, back extensions, reverse hypers). Isolation exercises and machines are the worst thing that ever happened to the weight training world.
8) Quit using pyramid rep schemes like 10,8,6,4,2 – Instead, your time would be better served doing boring (but effective) gut busting sets of 5x5 or 4x8-10 using the SAME WEIGHT for each set. They WILL produce better results than the pyramid scheme. BTW, check your ego at the door when you do these.
9) I’ll quote my good friend, Glenn Pendlay (the best S&C coach in the nation) for the next one:
"Most athletes do too many exercises. Many times they look over other peoples programs like they are at a buffet. They pick a little of this and a little of that from a variety of programs, and end up with something useless. People think you have to train each muscle with a different specific exercise. Many guys in college athletics would do better if they would just randomly slash off half of what they are doing, and then work twice as hard on the half that is left."
10) Another of my favorites from Glenn:
"im so sick and tired of hearing people who just started training who say they cant gain weight. jeez ive heard this crap so often. every day it seems i have some stupid kid ask me about how to gain weight... in resturants, at the grocery store, yo uname it. for some reason there seems to be a sign on my back or something. usually i know its worthless to talk to them, sometimes i actually waste my time. talked to a kid at the golden corral a couple of days ago. took almost an hour when i should have been enjoying my all you can eat steak night... 3 days later i see him in the gym when i just happened to go in to talk to a friend who i knew was there... kid was there doing preacher curls. said hi to me, then said well i talked to my friend about what you said and he said he tried it once and overtrained so i decided to do this thing i read about... on the other hand about 6 months ago i talked to this 6' tall, 150lb kid who wanted to know about getting stronger. kid had done well in judo, won some titles, also after that had done cycling, turned pro then quit a year later, quite a good road racer. he actually did what i told him i guess, about 3 months after i saw him the first time i saw hiim again, he weighed about 185... he wanted to try olympic weightlifting so i let him train with the team i coach. now hes weighing 204 and clean and jerking about 300lbs, 54lbs gained in 6 months. no drugs. olympic squat from 175lbs to 385lbs, front squat from 150lbs to 330lbs. hell be a good lifter, has a good work ethic. needs to be 240 and fairly lean, will compete eventually in the 231 pound class. will take about another 12-15 months i suppose. why is a kid like this the exception and not the rule? why will kids do the same old thing for years in the abscense of results, and not try anything new? what the hell is wrong with people. there is a gym in town, i know the owner so i go and talk to him sometimes, there are all these kids in there, skinny little ****s, doing curls. they never progress, you see the same faces one year to the next, same bodies too."
11) Ultra slow reps or TUT is, for the most part completely worthless. Will it work? Yes. But the total amount of work that one can complete is much lower when utilizing slow reps. Just go natural. Don’t try to be super fast, and bouncy, and don’t try to go ultra slow. Just do it naturally and controlled.
12) “The burn”, “the pump” and “the feel” have nothing to do with the effectiveness of an exercise. Yes, even I have been caught on upper body days looking at myself in the mirror when I’m all blown up, but that has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the last exercise. You do hammer strength bench presses and flyes for sets of 20 and I’ll do heavy barbell bench presses and deep dips. One of us will “feel the pump” more and the other one will grow.
13) Likewise, delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) also gives no clue as to the effectiveness of a workout. It just means A) you have a ton of microtrauma in a muscle or a lot of lactic acid/ waste products. Congratulations.
14) “Core stability training” is not done on a swiss ball or a stability board. It’s done by pulling heavy deadlifts, standing overhead presses, full squats, heavy barbell rows, heavy farmer’s walks, Atlas stones, tire flipping, reverse hypers, heavy back extensions, glute ham raises, and heavy abdominal work.
15) A good gym has nothing to do with how nice the machines are or if they have a pool or tanning beds or even if it’s air conditioned. A good gym smells like a mix of body odor and liniment and supplies their members with a big box of chalk.

Kelly Baggett, one of the best strength coaches his take as well on how to get bigger
This is not to attack anyone but I'd be willing to bet a lot more natural muscle has been built using the recommnedations of Matt and Glenn over the years then all the complicated bodybuilding schemes out there. The problem with bodybuilders is they try to overcomplicate everything and lose site of the big picture.....that's making strength gains in the gym on basic movements along with scale weight increases on a week to week basis. Now you can complicate that as much as you want but those are the only 2 things it takes to get big. It doesn't take any sort've fancy specialized training routines and special diets. If more people would spend more time in dark stinky ass gyms worrying about putting weight on the very basic movements and spend more time eating in high volume (note the golden corral reference) with an emphasis on gaining scale weight then a lot more muscle would be built.
For every bodybuilder who has success building a physique naturally I'll show you at least 20 who don't get jack **** in the way of results because they sit around with their thumb up their butt worrying about this and worrying about that and basing everything off of their "pump"...worrying about the "feel" of this exercise and trying to trash the muscle every workout without any regards to periodization and failign to realize that if they would've just strived to put 50 lbs on their squat and 15 lbs on the scale their problems would be taken care of......They go starving themselves to death on boiled chicken and broccoli while spending $300 per month in supplements thinking they can get "bigger" and "smaller" at the same time spending 5 years wasting time not gaining 10 lbs of scale weight all while looking at strength athletes with their nose up in the air when what they don't realize is that fat powerlifter they like to make fun of has actually put on 50 lbs of muscle in the last year and he could spend 3 months stripping that fat off and hand you your ass and balls in a bodybuilding contest simply because he trained very simple, focused on strength gains and most importnatly wasn't afraid to sit down at the dinner table and do some serious eating.
Give me 2 twin brothers one who hangs around with and reads bodybuilding related info for a year and another who hangs around with and trains at a powerlifting gym both without steroids and after that year is over let's see which one builds more muscle. Nine times out of 10 I'll take the powerlifter.
Having said that a strenght athletes routine may not be 100% optimal for a bodybuilder but there are a lot of things people could learn from strength trainers.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by itrhybrid
Lots of conficting information just in this post. I disagree in the training one muscle group once a week. Here's an article I read not too long ago that changed my thinking. It's long but a good read. Also the body for life plan that I stuck too when I first decided to change my fitness lifestyle has me working the same muscle group more than once a week.
So does the basic workout i listed. I said at least once a week, not only once a week. There's a million different ways to train. Some are good, some are not. Just because it's "Body for life" and someone makes money selling it, does not mean it's good - or bad.

I think I've linked that article you quoted somewhere on this forum. I know i've read it before.

Like i said in the noob sticky, i'm not infallable, and i do change my opinion/views on training methods. This sticky is one i have been meaning to rewrite when i have the time. The difficulty with it is that, to me, a lot of stuff that I do/know about the gym just comes naturally to me at this point. It seems like common sense. It is not. It's tough to consciously list things that i don't have to think about without missing some, and seeming to overemphasize others.

Doing something is better than doing nothing, curling a 20lb dumbell 100 times a day will give you SOME progress. I'm trying to make your progress as efficient as possible.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Schmegistered

So does the basic workout i listed. There's a million different ways to train. Some are good, some are not. Just because it's "Body for life" and someone makes money selling it, does not mean it's good - or bad.

I think I've linked that article you quoted somewhere on this forum. I know i've read it before.

Like i said in the noob sticky, i'm not infallable, and i do change my opinion/views on training methods. This sticky is one i have been meaning to rewrite when i have the time. The difficulty with it is that , to me, a lot of stuff that I do/know about the gym is common sense. It just comes naturally to me at this point. It is not. It's tough to consciously list things that i don't have to think about without missing some, and overdoing/overblowing others.

Doing something is better than doing nothing, curling a 20lb dumbell 100 times a day will give you SOME progress. I'm trying to make your progress as efficient as possible.
I agree. At elast doing something is better than nothing. I think I heard on teh news or an article that the # of overweight americans issomething like 60% or something staggering like that (don't quote me on it, I just remember it was something insanely high).

Personally I can't stick to just one workout plan for extended periods(over 3 months). I started on the Body for life plan (which is free online BTW) and had great results, IMHO. But I like diversity so I'll change my plan, try different things different group classes at the gym. Something to add variety. I've also found that you'll have better results when you have a solid partner or group of people that will push you while working out.

to all of those that are doing something towards a healthy lifestyle.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

I agree. At elast doing something is better than nothing. I think I heard on teh news or an article that the # of overweight americans issomething like 60% or something staggering like that (don't quote me on it, I just remember it was something insanely high).

Personally I can't stick to just one workout plan for extended periods(over 3 months). I started on the Body for life plan (which is free online BTW) and had great results, IMHO. But I like diversity so I'll change my plan, try different things different group classes at the gym. Something to add variety. I've also found that you'll have better results when you have a solid partner or group of people that will push you while working out.

to all of those that are doing something towards a healthy lifestyle.
For making money i was referring to this book.

To paraphrase some words of wisdom I've heard a few times...

The guys who are bigger, stronger, and leaner than you would have been bigger, stronger, and leaner than you no matter what their routine. Why? They're dedicated and know how to work hard.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Advanced

The guys who are bigger, stronger, and leaner than you would have been bigger, stronger, and leaner than you no matter what their routine. Why? They're dedicated and know how to work hard.
Nope not b/c of their dedication, but b/c of their superior genetics. Working out hard and having a great diet will get you bigger. But to be a monstor in the gym you need a genetic predispositon. Hince the quote "you eithier got It, or you don't".
Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Nice thread! I may start applying this in my workout. If I could!LOL
Old 06-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Schmegistered

Was the original source Xander? Kind of reminds me of another guy on one of the other car boards....
Old 01-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Schmegistered

Abreece,
how long does each of those workouts take you? Seems like it would be 90 minutes at least with warm up's for each exercise.

Here's my current workout Just started this week getting baseline #'s after cross fitting for the last 8 months or so,

So here's what I've come up with. I kind of spread things out a bit.

Mon-
Squats (Front, back and overhead rotating through weekly) 5x5
Press (Shoulder, push or thrusters) 5x5
Power cleans 3x6

Wed-
Bench (Rotating through flat, incline and decline) 5x5
Dips 3x8
T Getups 3x5 with each arm.

Fri-
Deadlift 5x5
Pullups -weighted 3x8
bent rows 3x8

Things I'm subbing:
lunges
SDLHP
shrugs
snatches
lat pulldowns.
Cable rows.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
In the end, it depends on what you do.
It's basic knowledge that the act of strength training is to break down the muscle,
then let it rebuild itself stronger.

Not giving enough time is self destructive, as you break down faster than you rebuild.
Giving too much time is inefficient, and can cap your potential if you are excessive about it.

So the real question is: How much do you breakdown, and how quickly does your body rebuild? That's a highly individual question. Workout intensity is part of the equation. When I first started, I did three times a week, every other day, and got pretty nice gains that way. I also did higher intensity per muscle group, and did that once a week, and that also worked for me.

It's very useful to keep notes of how much you do. It's fairly easy to see when you need to adjust something in your workout when you keep an eye on your improvement. (or more importantly - lack of)

Something not really mentioned in this thread - how often do you do Abs?
every day?

- Frank
Old 05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Have camera, will travel

James, I know this post is old, but I just read the piece you posted and it is vey good, and I went into it fully prepared to disagree with it.

The article is long but the points are valid, IMO. Once I got around to eating properly and building everyone of my workouts around either the squat or the deadlift, I made changes to my body I'd never made before.

Periodization is a technique the Russians pioneered and is one Clarence Bass has espoused for many years. You just can't blast the muscles every single time you work out, you have to ebb and flow. The article you posted mentions this also. I've been hanging around gyms since my days in the army, some 26 years, and I can't count how many times I've seen people doing what the author of the article talk about--blasting muscles too often, focusing on isolation exercises, etc, etc.

IMO, the deadlift is the greatest (and hardest) of all excercises, but that's just my experience. I know many feel the same way about the squat. Also, it was good to see him dissing Joe Weider. I've had issues with that guy for years.

Good stuff in that piece. Who is the author?

BTW, I agree with the above poster, in the end genes wins the game, but anybody can make tremendous gains with a properly applied program and a good work ethic.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Yeah I agree with itr's post. Sorry for the bump. I started Crossfit 3 mos ago and my fitness level is steadily increasing. Our power lifting is centered around cleans, squats, and deadlifts. I think I've bench pressed 3 times since starting but we've done lots of pushups and dips and military and my bench press is still as strong as when I was doing the 10/8/6 pyramid.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 PM
7th Gear

Doc:

I love to hit the gym and I love trying new processes. I am wanting to try your workout listed above I just have two questions.

1. You have 4xmax on pull-ups. The correct form (as I have learned) for pull ups is to go wide grip (so you hit the lats) and do a complete pull up. What do you suggest to replace this if at this time you cannot complete 1 rep of this? Would you think "close grip" would suffice?

2. To get high weight on a good portion of these exercises "requires" a spot. What do you suggest if you do not have a work out partner? I work out at a 24 hour gym due to the fact that I have a crazy schedule, sometimes when I work out there is not one person (other than myself) in the gym. What do you suggest in these situations?

Thanks for the great advice. A lot of this I have learned before and I am trying to get acclimated to consistent workouts. Some of this is new and I am excited to try this! Thank you again for the suggestions!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
^^Doc is behind a Kmart giving sexual favors to the rugby team, but maybe someone else can help...
Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Either jumping pullups so that you get the negative or "beginner" pullups. Find a smith machine at the gym. Lower the bar so that your feet are touching the ground while hanging from it. This makes it easier since you don't have the whole weight of your body under you. The only thing is since you're not in a straight line under the bar like in a regular pullup you might feel it less in the lats and more in other parts of your back kind of like if you're doing a cable row. Adjust accordingly.

As for the heavy weight, that is a bummer. See if the staff will spot. If not, then you gotta know your strength or use machines.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Chas T
Doc:

I love to hit the gym and I love trying new processes. I am wanting to try your workout listed above I just have two questions.

1. You have 4xmax on pull-ups. The correct form (as I have learned) for pull ups is to go wide grip (so you hit the lats) and do a complete pull up. What do you suggest to replace this if at this time you cannot complete 1 rep of this? Would you think "close grip" would suffice?

2. To get high weight on a good portion of these exercises "requires" a spot. What do you suggest if you do not have a work out partner? I work out at a 24 hour gym due to the fact that I have a crazy schedule, sometimes when I work out there is not one person (other than myself) in the gym. What do you suggest in these situations?

Thanks for the great advice. A lot of this I have learned before and I am trying to get acclimated to consistent workouts. Some of this is new and I am excited to try this! Thank you again for the suggestions!
I would suggest jumping on the lat pull down machine for a little while, it won't be as effective as a full pull up but it will get your strength up. I had to do the same thing when I took a long-long hiatus from the gym. I couldn't knock out one but I started on the lat pull down machine twice a week until I could do one pull up and worked from there. As for the types it varies, yeah the wide-grip work the lats but try to throw in some reverse close grip, and close grip pull ups also. I usually do pull ups as my first exercise on my back days.

I am the same way, I either go to the gym when no one is there or I go when no one is big enough to help. Suggestion don't get an old man to help you, I did and it didn't turn out very well....lol...I now know my muscles and don't try for that very last rep (bench). I also start on the bench first, and then move to barbells to finish. You can stick to barbells, you don't need a spot with barbells.

Watch your form on deadlifts, fleet flat at all times and when you lift, bend your knees, butt down, back up, drive your heels into the ground and try to touch the ceiling with your chin (lift your chin)