Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Surrounded by Divorce!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:52 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
That's why I laugh when I hear people saying they've been married 2,3 & even 4 times. At this point why even bother with that kind on track record.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
The divorce rate is surely blowing out of proportion IMO. Over the past few months I've run into guys I used to work with from 03 to 08, all were married, bought houses, had kids, etc. during that time. I ask how things are going and they're like well I'm paying support, take a guess.

It's almost as if people are just getting married for the title as if it is a mandatory step when you care for someone.

It reminds me a lot of high schoolish relationships, you're with someone for a few weeks all of a sudden you start saying "love you" when you hang up the phone. Quit rushing into shit damn it, marriage is supposed to be forever.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Okay, from the perspective of someone long time married (just celebrated our 38th ann), and happy about it, and a retired military guy.... two important maxims, learned from my wife:
1. COMMUNICATION. Always talk to each other about everything. There are no mind readers on this planet, not married ones anyway.
2. DON'T TAKE EACH OTHER FOR GRANTED. Treat your spouse the way you did when you were dating/ first married. This is more work than many realize.
As for the military or any other career that has separation involved, there is no easy answer. Some couples can do this, some don't. The ones that do grow (or endure) to make the best of separations.
So it's Sunday and thus ends the brief sermon.:wink:
The following 3 users liked this post by old coastie:
mn2trance (09-27-2011), TLtrigirl (09-25-2011), YeuEmMaiMai (11-11-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Im still young so there arent too many people I know that have been married. Most of my friends parents are divorced though. Luckily my parents have stuck through all the drama.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Sadly, anymore Divorce is just the easy way out. People get married for the wrong reasons, and it's way too easy to just bail out once shit gets too real
ding ding ding

Another gift bestowed upon us by the baby boomers.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
it's sad, because it seems like the average marriage these days last shorter than a car lease
Yeah, but unlike a car lease, you're still making payments for that particular model after it's been replaced by another.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
So what Terry is basically saying.. Most people have poor taste and if they were smart, they would be patient and buy something with a classic body and substance under the hood. Rather than stupid enough to buy the first two door rental they come across, running a HT4100 that has had about as many drivers in her seat than internal parts replaced under the hood. By the time you wise up you won't have enough money for bus fare let alone have enough to buy the new ZR1 equipped with big front side airbags, firm suspension, and enough power to blow your socks off and your head back.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
Yeah, but unlike a car lease, you're still making payments for that particular model after it's been replaced by another.

Originally Posted by Majofo
So what Terry is basically saying.. Most people have poor taste and if they were smart, they would be patient and buy something with a classic body and substance under the hood. Rather than stupid enough to buy the first two door rental they come across, running a HT4100 that has had about as many drivers in her seat than internal parts replaced under the hood. By the time you wise up you won't have enough money for bus fare let alone have enough to buy the new ZR1 equipped with big front side airbags, firm suspension, and enough power to blow your socks off and your head back.
But what if the 2 door rental is red with nice headlights. And by that I mean blond with big tits?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
But what if the 2 door rental is red with nice headlights. And by that I mean blond with big tits?
I'm sure it is red and shiny with nice headlights but soon the headlights will glaze over and the cheap paint will fade. She won't turn over no matter how much you tinker under the hood. On the days you can get her running, not only is ride harsh, the springs in the seat are giving out.

And by that I mean those big tits will sag, you find out she dyes her hair and is layered in makeup which she stops after marriage. No more sex, no matter all the gifts and foreplay you try. And on the days she'll be seen with you in public, she's a bitchy and busting your balls.
The following users liked this post:
RaviNJCLs (09-30-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Which is why you don't buy the rental. You rent it.. and whore the shit out of it.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
I'm sure it is red and shiny with nice headlights but soon the headlights will glaze over and the cheap paint will fade. She won't turn over no matter how much you tinker under the hood. On the days you can get her running, not only is ride harsh, the springs in the seat are giving out.

And by that I mean those big tits will sag, you find out she dyes her hair and is layered in makeup which she stops after marriage. No more sex, no matter all the gifts and foreplay you try. And on the days she'll be seen with you in public, she's a bitchy and busting your balls.

Your post is approved....

Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, I just saw this thread-read all the way through it....

I've not talked about this on Acurazine, but I will here.

I just got engaged a month ago to a woman I met on eHarmony. I've been married and divorced, have a 22 year old daughter. I've also lived with a woman. She moved out 3 years ago. I never felt the need to get married again. But I met Rhonda on eHarmony and just knew that she was "the one". In my 54 years of marriages, relationship, live-in's....I've never met a woman I felt was "the one". We compliment each other wonderfully. We get along famously. She makes me feel as though I want that commitment with her. I've tried numerous times to sit down and figure out why I feel the way I feel. All I can tell you is she is "the one", and that's never happened to me before.

If I am nothing, I do feel that I'm a good judge of character. So I move forward without hesitation or reservation with her. I'm going to go and be happy. I just hope and pray each day that this will be the case.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
So I move forward without hesitation or reservation with her. I'm going to go and be happy. I just hope and pray each day that this will be the case.

Go for it.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Good luck Steven
Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wow, I just saw this thread-read all the way through it....

I've not talked about this on Acurazine, but I will here.

I just got engaged a month ago to a woman I met on eHarmony. I've been married and divorced, have a 22 year old daughter. I've also lived with a woman. She moved out 3 years ago. I never felt the need to get married again. But I met Rhonda on eHarmony and just knew that she was "the one". In my 54 years of marriages, relationship, live-in's....I've never met a woman I felt was "the one". We compliment each other wonderfully. We get along famously. She makes me feel as though I want that commitment with her. I've tried numerous times to sit down and figure out why I feel the way I feel. All I can tell you is she is "the one", and that's never happened to me before.

If I am nothing, I do feel that I'm a good judge of character. So I move forward without hesitation or reservation with her. I'm going to go and be happy. I just hope and pray each day that this will be the case.
Congratulations Steven!

I never got a chance to update this post.
My best friend and her husband (my ex-husband) have decided to work through their differences and have been making an honest go of their marriage. I'm so happy that they're working through it and sticking together for now.

There's a quote that reads something like "Being married is about falling in love again and again, to the same person." I find this to be incredibly true. My husband and I go through our times when we feel distant from each other, but we always find a way to bring it back and rekindle. I think marriage is a series of waves and sometimes we bail too soon.

BTW - if you've read Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages you'll know what I mean when I say that my husband and I stuck it out through the "in love obsession" and didn't marry until that phase of our relationship had passed. Best decision ever!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
ding ding ding

Another gift bestowed upon us by the baby boomers.
This boomer is coming up on 15 years of being HAPPILY MARRIED.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
This boomer is coming up on 15 years of being HAPPILY MARRIED.

How does your wife feel?

j/k Killer. Congrats.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
God Bless Steven.

@ Terry.

I've been married for over 21 years. The wife and I DID get married because of her pregnancy with our oldest child and it was a conscious choice by both of us to do so.

I won't lie: it's been rocky for a good portion of these 21 years....mainly because we both struggle with the two shall become one concept. And we're committed Christians, so go figure!!

It's still hard us to sacrifice our individuality for the sake of anything. Period. As far as marriage goes, it's one and done. I love my wife to death, but I wouldn't do this ever again even if my own life was at stake.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
Upwards to 21 years worth depending upon divorce agreement.......
Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F23A4
God Bless Steven.

@ Terry.

I've been married for over 21 years. The wife and I DID get married because of her pregnancy with our oldest child and it was a conscious choice by both of us to do so.

I won't lie: it's been rocky for a good portion of these 21 years....mainly because we both struggle with the two shall become one concept. And we're committed Christians, so go figure!!

It's still hard us to sacrifice our individuality for the sake of anything. Period. As far as marriage goes, it's one and done.
Wow. Sounds like a carbon copy of my relationship with my wife. We got hitched because she got pregnant with Elliott. We were heading down that road but we kinda moved up the time table a bit.

We also struggle with the 2 becoming 1 concept. I joke that we are 2 single folks that love each other and have entered into a monogamous relationship....for life. I think it works.

We sacrifice our individuality for our son and that's about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Wow. Sounds like a carbon copy of my relationship with my wife. We got hitched because she got pregnant with Elliott. We were heading down that road but we kinda moved up the time table a bit.

We also struggle with the 2 becoming 1 concept. I joke that we are 2 single folks that love each other and have entered into a monogamous relationship....for life. I think it works.

We sacrifice our individuality for our son and that's about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
God Bless Steven.

@ Terry.

It's still hard us to sacrifice our individuality for the sake of anything. Period. As far as marriage goes, it's one and done. I love my wife to death, but I wouldn't do this ever again even if my own life was at stake.
Sadly most people today think that is some sort of cliche, and before you know it they end up in divorce.

It's sad how half the people I know (same peer group/same age group) are divorced.

What really kills me is you can see people headed down the road for divorce, and then they go do something stupid like have a kid or two...thinking it was going to make things better.....turns out they divorce with 1 or 2 young kids.

.....and the kids are devastated.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Team Owner

^^^^

This is true.

I know a guy that may be heading down the path of divorce an he has 3 kids. I am not an advocate for staying together for the kids, but don't have them if you are contemplating divorce.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
In about one month we will celebrate 41 years of marriage. My wife is an angel and gets most of the credit. Has it been easy, hell no but nothing is. I'm much happier with her than I would have been without.

For those that have patience and are willing to share and compromise, things can get much better.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Military life and marriage do not mix well at all. I didn't get married or even serious with anyone until I was out of the Navy.
I certainly understand the sacrifice that military members make. But I somewhat disagree with you Ken, just because I was a military spouse. My wife was in the Navy for five and a half years, deployed once. I never once thought about cheating on her. I just couldn't wait until she got home.

We talked almost every night, and there were a couple of people listening in on our conversations when she did call that probably could have killed themselves from the way we talked lovingly to eachother.

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 11-18-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
In about one month we will celebrate 41 years of marriage. My wife is an angel and gets most of the credit. Has it been easy, hell no but nothing is. I'm much happier with her than I would have been without.

For those that have patience and are willing to share and compromise, things can get much better.
Congrats to you, good to hear you sum it up so well
Old 11-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I certainly understand the sacrifice that military members make. But I somewhat disagree with you Ken, just because I was a military spouse. My wife was in the Navy for five and a half years, deployed once. I never once thought about cheating on her. I just couldn't wait until she got home.

We talked almost every night, and there were a couple of people listening in on our conversations when she did call that probably could have killed themselves from the way we talked lovingly to eachother.
It's definitely possible, but deployments and just the general culture of military life can make marriage very difficult for some people.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Marriage is probably the hardest thing you're going to encounter in your life because it is suppose to last your whole life. With that being said, the world does not look at marriage the same way anymore.....take for example the website Ashley Madison.com where it guarantees you'll have an affair or your money back.....where has the morals of this world gone to?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

^^^

I agree that the world don't look at marriage the same as it did 50 years ago. My response to the is....if you let the rest of the world dictate how you treat your spouse then you were probably going to fail in the first place.

What does the guy down the block that is using AM have to do with me? The morals of the people around you may have eroded, but why does that mean that your morals need to be compromised?

I think that almost all of us in our life will be faced with a situation where we can all choose to cheat. I still think it is up to the individual and his/her spouse to make that decision. Today, and every day since I have been with my wife, I can say that I would not even think of it. Tomorrow and all the days after....I don't see a reason why I would ever want to.

Last edited by RaviNJCLs; 11-18-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
It's definitely possible, but deployments and just the general culture of military life can make marriage very difficult for some people.

I know a few married military couples that have great relationships. The real binder through all their deployments is the other spouse is familiar with military life (e.g. father was in the service or they were / currently in the service) and their relationship is mature.