Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

So i think im going to propose soon (UPDATE: He did)

Old 07-05-2011 | 10:30 AM
Race Director

So i think im going to propose soon (UPDATE: He did)

Im thinking about proposing to my gf. our 4 year anniversary is on the 31st.

i was thinking of proposing on our anniversary, but its on a Sunday, and since she lives a couple hours away, i would only see her for a few hours unless im able to get the time off work (which may be hard to do)

The other option was waiting until the week of 8/15, when we both plan on taking a vacation, but the problem is, we haven't thought of anywhere to go and we are trying to save for a down payment on a house.

I was thinking our anniversary would be a cute/meaningful day to do it, but i not sure how to plan/approach it. she already said she doesnt want it to be in front of anyone because she doesnt like like to cry in front of people. i want it to be romantic, but it kinda leaves out public areas. i may have a few ideas, but they are just ideas as of now.

I have my eye on about 4 rings right now, all ranging from 1k-2.5k all are on clearance from Kay, so id like to jump on them.

How did some of you propose to your wives?

where did you do it? was there anyone around?

im in need of a few ideas

thanks
Old 07-05-2011 | 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

DON'T DO IT!!!

Just playin bro, I've been thinking about proposing soon too, if you guys are hanging out on your anniversary, plan a little picnic or somewhere where the 2 of you can get away somewhere private and do it then. Or if you wait until the vacation, plan a special trip/day to do it.
Old 07-05-2011 | 12:57 PM
Safety Car

I only know what to do wrong with a proposal, but I'd wait until the vacation so you can enjoy the afterglow of the moment.
Old 07-05-2011 | 02:02 PM
takin care of Business in

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:59 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
DON'T DO IT!!!

Just playin bro, I've been thinking about proposing soon too, if you guys are hanging out on your anniversary, plan a little picnic or somewhere where the 2 of you can get away somewhere private and do it then. Or if you wait until the vacation, plan a special trip/day to do it.
i was kinda thinking that too, since she on the coast. hmm

Originally Posted by Anachostic
I only know what to do wrong with a proposal, but I'd wait until the vacation so you can enjoy the afterglow of the moment.
i was thinking that too

idk. im conflicted. both are coming up pretty quick

Originally Posted by swoosh
Old 07-05-2011 | 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I like the idea of doing it when you're on vacation. Then you can definitely celebrate after the fact. Perhaps take her on a hike or walk along the beach and then propose someplace secluded, romantic, and picturesque. One of my friends proposed during a hike when he and his girl were wading in a waterfall. Just make sure you don't lose the rock during the hike LOL.
Old 07-06-2011 | 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

The vacation seems better, because if you're only seeing each other for a few hours on your anni, then you don't want to feel rushed, and you want to be around her after to see how she reacts, etc.
Old 07-06-2011 | 09:21 AM
Race Director

or i can use one of my personal days the day after our anniversary (8/1) and do it then too. so i can be there Friday, saturday, sunday(anniversary), and leave monday afternoon idk. the anniversary seems more meaningful
Old 07-06-2011 | 09:32 AM

Definitely don't do it if you'll have to leave a few hours after proposing so you can make it to work the next day. Whenever you decide to propose, definitely do it during a time when you'll have at least a few days together before and after that way you don't even need a set time, day, or activity to propose --- you can do it when the moment feels right to you, without any pressure or time crunch. Do it when the moment strikes you as being right. And definitely spend a day or two afterwards basking in the excitement....it'll feel surreal for a while. Don't do it and run.
Old 07-06-2011 | 10:11 AM
Balling in the...

I say do it on ur Anniversary this way later on when you are celebrating your Anniversary years from now you will only have to remember to celebrate one day instead of two. I say Purpose at a Restaurant in a more private setting maybe somewhere in the place that is more secluded. let the waiter in on your plan and while you have the waiter pour you some wine tell em to put the ring in her glass and leave you guys alone right away. This way when she goes to drink it she will see it and BOOM propose.... Then When you guys do go on your Vacation you will have something to celebrate and she will have more time to brag to her friends about how big the ring you got her is. She will have more reason to Make u feel very special then LMAO
Old 07-06-2011 | 10:57 AM
I got the Shifts

think about it long and hard man. you never really know a person until you live together. (not advocating living with her unmarried) but if you feel like its what God wants then you should be set.
The following 3 users liked this post by phee:
CLtotheTL32 (07-19-2011), el.profe (07-06-2011), gr8ness97 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-06-2011 | 11:03 AM
Team Owner

I did mine on vacation...

Was going to do it at Disneyland but couldn't wait so I did it on the beach in Santa Barbara she never knew it was coming. I did it around 3 of our friends. Got her ring from Kay's too
Old 07-06-2011 | 11:08 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Is there absolutely no way you can get work off on your anniversary? If you're cool with your boss and tell him that you want to propose, that might get you a bit of help, maybe.

If you can't, I say wait until you have time. Spending time after proposing is more important than proposing on your anniversary, IMO.

Oh, and don't ever tell your soon-to-be fiancee that you got the ring on clearance.

Otherwise, congrats in advance!
Old 07-06-2011 | 11:19 AM
Team Owner

never tell her how much you paid for it in general!
Old 07-06-2011 | 11:41 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

I'd take a few days off near your anniversary and propose then. You can tell her to get ready for a nice dinner where you guys get all fancied up and go out and while she's getting ready you leave the ring box on the bed on top of her dress or something and propose before dinner. Then you guys can go out to dinner to celebrate. (make reservations obviously) or you can cook her breakfast in bed one morning and propose bright and early. The breakfast one works if you don't usually cook cuz she'll never expect it. I vote for the Friday/Sat/Sun/Mon thing.
Old 07-06-2011 | 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
or i can use one of my personal days the day after our anniversary (8/1) and do it then too. so i can be there Friday, saturday, sunday(anniversary), and leave monday afternoon idk. the anniversary seems more meaningful
If you can do that, then anniversary for sure.
Old 07-06-2011 | 12:26 PM
The Box

Old 07-06-2011 | 12:28 PM
The Box

Just kidding.

I just got married last October and proposed last Feb. There's a thread in here somewhere. I did it at her parents house while both of our parents were there, it's a tradition. A little different than most but I really liked it, both sets of parents were happy to be there to share this moment.

Now I'm married and I can't buy rims.
The following users liked this post:
CLtotheTL32 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-06-2011 | 12:30 PM

at the rim comment
Old 07-06-2011 | 12:32 PM
Team Owner

just be prepared to be broke Bryan while planning

so all your mods for your car you want will have to wait. sure you say im only going to spend 10k on the wedding and then your like holy shit im at 23k and I still have 3 months to go then you remember you have to pay for bridal party gifts and favors and what not

ffffuuuuuuuuuuu
Old 07-06-2011 | 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Did you see what happened to the poor sap in the Funny Pic Thread?
Old 07-06-2011 | 02:13 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

My first bit of advice is to honor her criteria, and it sounds like you are. Also I would not get too hung up on your anaversary date. After almost 21 years of marriage, I cannot tell you when I proposed. Neither can she. But we both can remember where I proposed, and how I did it. I think those two things will be more lasting memories than a specific date - also because when you get married you'll get a new anaversary date to remember.

I would target the vacation, because that gives you the most chances to get her alone, and you'll have time together before and after. But I'd also have a plan B because it sounds like the vacation may fall through. But plan B can be during that same week (since you are both keeping it clear for your calendar), but maybe you take an overnight or weekend trip instead.

As for how, I kept it simple and "old school". Got her alone, and got down on one knee. Nothing exotic. But then again we were in school and dirt poor, so I didn't have many options. But you know her - your best bet is to do something that will resonate with her, not what someone else did. My wife wanted to be engaged, and didn't care how I asked her. Other women feel strongly about how they were asked. From the small amount of info you provided, she seems private. I'd run with that - something simple, private, and romantic. I'd just focus on maybe a good spot to ask her and make some thoughtful and sincere remarks along the way.

Last edited by 1Louder; 07-06-2011 at 02:15 PM.
justnspace (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011 | 02:15 PM

Greg, I always love your advice. thanks.
Old 07-06-2011 | 02:37 PM
Race Director

thanks for the great input all
Old 07-06-2011 | 02:40 PM
Balling in the...

Yeah this is a Big Step and as much as i dont recomend it due to my situation LMAO You are your own man and will do what you want to do. When I was younger a lot of my older friends (in their 30s) would tell me:
"Gerry, Don't do it. I'm telling you from Experience DON'T DO IT"
Well as much times they told me this I never listened and think if I had to relive it all over again I still wouldn't have listened. A man is one to experience things on his own than take the advise of another man. It was a great experience being married but ill tell you the truth. After your first one it takes A LOT to even think about another one. I also say living with her before would be good. Maybe you can Purpose and then move in together before the wedding. Learning to live with one another is difficult and can even break marriages up. Depending if your religious or not this may be an issue. I say Just Do what feels Natural to you in asking her. You know her better than all of us and I'm sure you can come up with the best possible way of asking her if you really love her. Plus if your ready to propose you will know the right moment and time to do it.... All i can say from the Rest of Us who have been there is GOOD LUCK cause you will need it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mafyoso:
04WDPSeDaN (07-26-2011), justnspace (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011 | 02:49 PM
Team Owner

U must live with her. Even though mine doesnt give me problems we lived together b4 we were engaged as well I learned a whole different side of her by living together... it's not a bad side just a diff side
CLtotheTL32 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-06-2011 | 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Flipster23
U must live with her. Even though mine doesnt give me problems we lived together b4 we were engaged as well I learned a whole different side of her by living together... it's not a bad side just a diff side
Wise words.
Old 07-06-2011 | 03:22 PM
Race Director

i have an idea what it would be like living with her. while she still lived locally, i only went home for work clothes, thats about it.

now that shes a couple hours away, i basically spend my days off out there.

we plan on settling down here in the valley, the coast is boring believe it or not, and theres worlds more to do in Fresno. plus houses out there are expensive. their 2 bedroom 1940's style house cost 450k

we can get a decent house in Fresno for about 70k
Old 07-06-2011 | 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
Im thinking about proposing to my gf. our 4 year anniversary is on the 31st.

i was thinking of proposing on our anniversary, but its on a Sunday, and since she lives a couple hours away, i would only see her for a few hours unless im able to get the time off work (which may be hard to do)

The other option was waiting until the week of 8/15, when we both plan on taking a vacation, but the problem is, we haven't thought of anywhere to go and we are trying to save for a down payment on a house.

I was thinking our anniversary would be a cute/meaningful day to do it, but i not sure how to plan/approach it. she already said she doesnt want it to be in front of anyone because she doesnt like like to cry in front of people. i want it to be romantic, but it kinda leaves out public areas. i may have a few ideas, but they are just ideas as of now.

I have my eye on about 4 rings right now, all ranging from 1k-2.5k all are on clearance from Kay, so id like to jump on them.

How did some of you propose to your wives?

where did you do it? was there anyone around?

im in need of a few ideas

thanks
Wow! Good for you that you think you've found "the one"...!

For my proposal, I rented out the local concert hall and threw my wife a mini-concert. She had always wanted to hear me play on the piano but with the stuff that happened prior to us meeting (passing of my mentor and then my Dad), I had stopped...

Anyhow, under the pretense that I was actually doing a recording (which I did do in the past for audition CDs/tapes for music school) for my Grandpa, I played some of her favorite Classical pieces (i.e. Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Debussy)...At the end, I left the stage and went to the back where the ring was and a CD case which contained my question to her...

Anyhow, yes, this is cheesy...but, I walked up to her and told her that the CD case was what I had for my Grandpa and asked her to look it over. She read the note and of course, that was the longest minute of my life.

Well, the only thing I forgot to prepare...was tissue. She cried.

As well, I had my best friend, her two best friends, my sister, and my Mom waiting at the local Fairmont restaurant once I received word. I had a special cake made from the hotel and when she said yes, I texted my buddy and he got everyone ready...

Well, when we got to the restaurant, this second surprise also needed tissue. Oops...

Anyhow, that's how I proposed. The way I did it was different enough to win us some prizes when the wife wrote it out to local contests...
Old 07-06-2011 | 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

You guys are too traditional....too fancy with all those ideas. I did mine over the phone....she said Yes and that was it! If she wants you for the rest of her life, it doesn't matter where, when or how you purposed. She'll say yes regardless! Just do it!

And I didn't even buy her a ring until a few weeks before our wedding...just for the sake of it!

Last edited by silver3.5; 07-06-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2011 | 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by silver3.5
You guys are too traditional....too fancy with all those ideas. I did mine over the phone....she said Yes and that was it! If she wants you for the rest of her life, it doesn't matter where, when or how you purposed. She'll say yes regardless! Just do it!

And I didn't even buy her a ring until a few weeks before our wedding...just for the sake of it!
Well, how you propose is entirely up to you. I did what I did because I wanted to...no one held a gun to my head.
Old 07-06-2011 | 04:23 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Buy ring, remove frombox, place vacation tickets in ring box, get down on knee and present ring box with tickets on anniversary, propose on trip.
Old 07-06-2011 | 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Buy ring, remove frombox, place vacation tickets in ring box, get down on knee and present ring box with tickets on anniversary, propose on trip.
Well, this is crazyasiantl we're talking about...so, it should be both knees for him.
Old 07-06-2011 | 04:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Well, how you propose is entirely up to you. I did what I did because I wanted to...no one held a gun to my head.
Exactly! That's why we're all giving the OP our suggestions. And that's why I did it the easy way! No need to plan, no need for props, no need for an expensive ring, etc.....but if going through all that stuff makes you happy or will convince her more to say 'yes', then do it! The end result will either be "yes" or "no" still.
Old 07-06-2011 | 04:29 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Well, this is crazyasiantl we're talking about...so, it should be both knees for him.
With begging motion?
Old 07-06-2011 | 04:42 PM
Team Owner

Old 07-06-2011 | 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow! Good for you that you think you've found "the one"...!

For my proposal, I rented out the local concert hall and threw my wife a mini-concert. She had always wanted to hear me play on the piano but with the stuff that happened prior to us meeting (passing of my mentor and then my Dad), I had stopped...

Anyhow, under the pretense that I was actually doing a recording (which I did do in the past for audition CDs/tapes for music school) for my Grandpa, I played some of her favorite Classical pieces (i.e. Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Debussy)...At the end, I left the stage and went to the back where the ring was and a CD case which contained my question to her...

Anyhow, yes, this is cheesy...but, I walked up to her and told her that the CD case was what I had for my Grandpa and asked her to look it over. She read the note and of course, that was the longest minute of my life.

Well, the only thing I forgot to prepare...was tissue. She cried.

As well, I had my best friend, her two best friends, my sister, and my Mom waiting at the local Fairmont restaurant once I received word. I had a special cake made from the hotel and when she said yes, I texted my buddy and he got everyone ready...

Well, when we got to the restaurant, this second surprise also needed tissue. Oops...

Anyhow, that's how I proposed. The way I did it was different enough to win us some prizes when the wife wrote it out to local contests...
Damn that is both creative and . Now my waterfall proposal idea seems so weak
Old 07-06-2011 | 05:17 PM
Race Director

but really

i cant help but laugh
Old 07-06-2011 | 06:30 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Whatever you do, take special care to not get her suspicious. Yumbum's proposal was great, a special event but I doubt she had any idea.

Oh, and make sure everything you want done to the MS3 is done.
Old 07-06-2011 | 11:29 PM
Coal

jk man, i knew you were thinking about it.

i would live with her first.

Quick Reply: So i think im going to propose soon (UPDATE: He did)