Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Marriage Proposal Ideas?

Old 01-25-2005, 01:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriage Proposal Ideas?

Ok, I'm thinking about asking my girlfriend to marry me sometime this year and I wanted to gather some ideas from people on marriage proposals. I want to make it memorable and romantic. Any great ideas that you can share?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:20 AM
Pro

see a therapist first!

j/k
Old 01-25-2005, 03:51 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
haha, tell her you got the idea from the acl forum
Old 01-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send her the link to this thread.

There was someone here that did an extremely elaborate proposal, I just can't remember the thread and what it contained. But it was a lot of thought and effort.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Tell her that someone made a poll on ACL if you should marry her and 54% said you should and that's the only erason you're proposing to her.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

just give her the ring. that's all that matters to them.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:30 AM
Go Noles!

sometimes elaborate schemes can get complicated... i like simplicity myself, but i can't speak for every girl. A girl at my work explained how her bf proposed, and it was really sweet. Every sunday they would usually go to brunch at the Ritz Carlton Hotel or something similar, and one day, after they were done eating, he kneeled down next to her chair. She said it was so special to her because it was in their regular routine, but completely unexpected. He hadn't mentioned a ring, they never even discussed what it would look like, but he picked a beaut! So she had no idea before-hand. They had talked about marriage at some point in the future, but she wasn't expecting him to propose at all this soon (because she is still in college).

If you want to take her completely by surprise, do something like this... incorporate your special moment into your lives.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Another AcuraZine member, xizor, proposed to his girlfriend a few months ago. He posted a thread about it. Perhaps you might search for it.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

wake up on a beautiful saturday morning...teh sun shining through the window, the birds chirping, people walking their dogs its just a beautiful morning, you have to wait for a beautiful morning.

Then you slap her ass and shove her off the bed and you say "hey, if you run your ass downstairs and make me some breakfast i'll marry you". then hit her in the forehead with the ring box and fall back asleep.

on second thought...i like supermega's idea better
Old 01-25-2005, 11:19 AM
TSX User

An onion ring worked for Homer.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

mine....

i proposed to her on her birthday, and told her i was planning surprises for the entire day. the only thing she knew was what clothes to bring/pack, and to expect an overnight stay somewhere.

phase I, i took her up to the local mountains. there's this national forest with trails/streams, and it's also the very first place we went on a date. we hiked all the way to stuvesant falls. with the waterfall in the backdrop and me playing 'lady' by kenny rogers on my mp3 player (she has always known that this song will be playing the moment i propose). i got on one knee and did the deed. and, yes she was completely surprised and so awestruck that she forgot the entirety of my speech except for the "will you..." part.

so anyways, she says yes as i am giving her the phony 1/2 ct. ring (details to come). i'll move on the rest of the night since you guys wouldn't want to hear about all this sappy stuff.

we hike back to the car and head out to phase II of her birthday surprise which turned out to be an evening of fun at Dave & Buster's at the Block in Orange. here she is greeted by 40+ of our closest friends when she was expecting a nice, quaint romantic dinner with yours truly. it becomes not only a birthday party but also an engagement party of sorts.

after the greetings, i excused myself to go prepare phase IV which was a suite that i had rented for the evening. got there, checked in, decorated the bed with red and yellow roses and lit candles. after doing so i returned to D&B's and the rest of the crowd. by this time my fiance had made the rounds and shown the fake ring in all it's puny cubic zirconian glory to everyone. it was at this moment that phase III was put into motion. i handed her my birthday gift to her (a gucci keychain holder) with the real engagement ring, a much larger rock, and matching guard ring hanging inside of it. it was a tremendous shock to her and our friends, and being that many of her girl friends are self-proclaimed "experts" on fine jewelry, redemption came in an amazing fasion.

after all the festivities, we retired to our suite and well, the rest is too explicit to describe on this PG forum.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:10 PM
ric
Safety Car

I guess older folks do it differently..............I think I proposed to my wife while we were on a chairlift at Jackson Hole. I believe she said yes about twenty minutes later when we were on top of Rondesvous Peak. Anyway, after that trip, we just started planning our lives together (she had to get a divorce, first, something of an encumbrance).

We exchanged engagement gifts at Christmas time the following year; she gave me an engraved watch and I gave her a set of pearls. NO ring. Shocking...................

We set the marriage date for as soon as we could after her final divorce decree. She and her father and son walked up the aisle, she and her son and I walked down.

Last edited by ric; 01-26-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Contagious

My idea is pretty elaborate, but would definately be memorable. Actually, the show Perfect Proposals were gonna do it, but the way we met wasn't "interesting" enough for them. But they still dug this idea.

The idea was for me to rent out a movie theater. Since we always go to the movies, this wouldn't seem out of the ordinary. One thing we both hate is previews. So I was gonna ask the theatre manager to play a few more than usual but also add in one of my own. A friend of mine would be able to produce it more on that in the next paragraph. Anyway, the theatre would be filled with our friends and family, as well as some complete strangers. The lights obviously would be turned down low so we wouldn't really be able to see anyone clearly. Midway through the previews, I would excuse myself to go get some grub (also like I normally do)

Now, we have been dating for 10 yrs now and the running joke is you'll know when we get married cause there will be a chill in the air from hell freezing over. The preview I wanted to instert would be a helicopter (this could be all CGI or whatever) shooting a view over the Artic. The shot would then move into a cave and keep going down, down, down till finally you see the devil himself shivering in a corner. He proclaims "It finally happened" then I would re-appear, the lights would go up and I would make the proposal.

Very elaborate, but actually you can rent out a theatre for pretty cheap. The biggest cost would the the preview.

Everyone I have told this idea to says it's one of the best and original ideas ever. Seems pretty good to me.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nicholbr
then hit her in the forehead with the ring box and fall back asleep.

haha good one

um...i dont have any ideas, but just be completely original! do something that noone else in the world has done before!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by CCns24
Everyone I have told this idea to says it's one of the best and original ideas ever. Seems pretty good to me.
I love it!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:30 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/finally-got-engaged-138437/
Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

dallison, ccns24, ric, gtkrockett, supermegaglossy, thanks for all the insights and stories! they are all wonderfull.

dallison did you feel safe buying a diamond online? what do people think about bluenile.com?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by benkei
dallison, ccns24, ric, gtkrockett, supermegaglossy, thanks for all the insights and stories! they are all wonderfull.

dallison did you feel safe buying a diamond online? what do people think about bluenile.com?
ah...you're in LA, so am i. i did quite a bit of research online to get a ballpark figure as far as pricing, and then, i went with one of my good friends who happens to be a jeweler. he imports diamonds from hong kong and gets them at wholesale prices. i have referred many of my friends and co-workers to him, they have purchased and been completely satisfied. if you are interested in getting in touch with him, i can arrange a meeting. PM me if you choose to do so.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

https://acurazine.com/forums/dating-relationships-14/engaged-294693/
Old 01-27-2005, 03:11 PM
The Slim Member

For the ring, checkout :
www.pricescope.com

For an idea where to propose, my recommendation is Corona Del Mar (near Newport Beach) around when the sun sets or Ritz in Dana Point.

Best Wishes!!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Go Noles!

most of those online companies like blue nile have 1-800 numbers, i'd feel MUCH safer calling. and maybe they even have stores? or try a dealer that sells their stuff.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:14 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by benkei

well just like anyone, i was a little uncertain with the diamond sight unseen, but lesly the lady @ whiteflash.com was very helpful esp with my budget. i spent less than 4k and got a rock that is worth much more and looks great.

it took me 2 months to shop on the net to find what i wanted, so i was patient. but spending that kind of money online was not a problem and went very smoothly.

the onlt thing i would suggest, make sure you know the ring size b/f you order if you decide to. to have it resized it would be like 50-75$ and shipping.

but overall i have given them my praise and will buy from them again, and their prices are very competitive. a couple of other members have purchased rocks from them also
Old 01-30-2005, 05:03 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Rent a billboard and get people to write on it will you marry me (her name) love (your name) and then drive her past it.