Rear Deck-Mounted Subwoofers - Performance & Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 15 Posts
Rear Deck-Mounted Subwoofers - Performance & Replacement?

I've had my ELS Sound System for about 3 months. I've very happy with the overall performance of the sound system, but can't help notice the rear subwoofers not really doing all that much.

The majority of the bass appears to come from the lower woofers in both front doors. Are others experiencing the same? Has anyone tried disconnecting the rear deck mounted subs to see what difference it makes?

I found the following review on the ELS sound system and understand why the rear subwoofers are mounted as they are and at opposing 13.5 degree angles. They are filling in a lack of low-end sound, but I am craving more SPL (Sound Pressure Level)

https://www.businessinsider.com/acur...can-buy-2020-8

I am considering replacing the two free air rear deck mounted subwoofers with two sealed units in the same spot, powered by an external amplifier. I assume I can use a line level converter and take the existing output from the ELS amplifier that feeds the two subs and use them as my input. The rear battery location simplifies the install.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried something similar? Anyone add an external amplifier or subwoofer to their 2G TLX yet?

The following 2 users liked this post by Furnace:
harpazo (10-20-2021), Rboutin (10-10-2023)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I also think the subwoofer is lacking at the rear. Does the ELS even have individual subwoofer control without adjusting the speaker bass at the same time? If it does I would like to know how to crank the sub up!

The BMW Logic7 system I had years ago came with individual subwoofer adjustability which was fantastic!
Old 10-22-2021, 12:04 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by harpazo
I also think the subwoofer is lacking at the rear. Does the ELS even have individual subwoofer control without adjusting the speaker bass at the same time? If it does I would like to know how to crank the sub up!

The BMW Logic7 system I had years ago came with individual subwoofer adjustability which was fantastic!
I didn't find it in the audio settings. My 2018 Accord EX-L with "Premium" sound system had a separate setting for the sub. That "Premium" system is terrible IMO but it had a setting for that.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:20 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2016 had separate sub control so it was disappointing to have that taken away in the current generation. Especially since it seems they are hyping the stereo up even more. I'm hoping I can just find a drop in replacement for the rear subs instead of going down the route of a whole new amp, but I've got some more research to do on that first.
Old 10-14-2023, 02:05 AM
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 117 Posts
Yep had the same issue with mine, bass came mostly front and was a little clappy sounding. Went to a professional audio shop and had a few 12's put in. Plenty of bass back there now.

Everything seems to work well, subs allowed me to turn the system bass down so those front speakers weren't clapping anymore but the back fills in nicely for it, had them do a custom box to and they were able to fit it perfectly so the entire back spare/battery area is accessible so another shop should be able to replicate something similar.