Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Would you abort a pregnancy?
Pro-choice
60.51%
Pro-life
16.92%
Depends
22.56%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Abortion?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
Pro-choice, but actually I should have voted depends... and these days I'm leaning closer to Pro-life... but I think that just goes to show me how much your own situation can skew your perspective. I don't think it's my right or anyone elses to decide for another.

I voted Pro-life based on what I would do.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 PM
RIP Dime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Astroboy
you idiot, it's not a fucking baby until well after the 1st trimester is long done, what the fuck do you keep going on about??

you think a mother should just give up 9 months of her life to bring an unwanted bastard child into the world? the result of a defective condom, or any other such insnate...This is a better option than just aborting it within a couple months of finding out???
That didn't take long.....I was curious to see how long it would take to get personal.
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just a fetus until their is nuerological activity...

As I will say again, you can't say abortion is okay sometimes. If you have a moral probem with it, it is never ok, if you don't have a moral problem with it, regardless of how reckless it is, there is nothing wrong "about" it...

Mike
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
gibson, i just can't believe u think teh victims of a broken condom should continue the cycle and vicitimize a child by bringing it into the world when they are not ready, or capable of providing, or caring for it. How does this even begin to make sense to you???
No, that doesn't.

That's why adoption exists. Now, I do not know the in's and out's of adoption, or how often they work out in favor of the child, but like it was said early in the thread, I'd rather grow up in a broken home than be dead.
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Is that wrong?

Does the mother face death?
We can't die until we're already living...
Old 10-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

No, that doesn't.

That's why adoption exists. Now, I do not know the in's and out's of adoption, or how often they work out in favor of the child, but like it was said early in the thread, I'd rather grow up in a broken home than be dead.
Many mother's WILL NOT give up their child for adoption once they get there....uh oh!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Thank you... And on that note I will agree that late term abortion is fucked up and should not be permitted.

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
you idiot, it's not a fucking baby until well after the 1st trimester is long done, what the fuck do you keep going on about??

you think a mother should just give up 9 months of her life to bring an unwanted bastard child into the world? the result of a defective condom, or any other such insnate...This is a better option than just aborting it within a couple months of finding out???
Wow....I've been around here for over 2 years and I think this is as pissed off a post I have ever seen from you.

I think if a child is really unwanted and the mother refuses to care for the child during pregnancy so she can give him or her up for adoption, then abortion is better option.

I would hate to read in the news that this same upstanding mother drowned, burned, bounced off the floor, smothered, sold, or used the child as a weapon.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:07 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Ryee
That didn't take long.....I was curious to see how long it would take to get personal.
I'm not surprised, it usually does. Besides I'm not the first person Astro has gone off on and i don't really take it personally.

It's just a belief, i'm not outside picketing for what I feel is right.

And as other know, I do like to argue.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
No, that doesn't.

what sense is there in forcing a woman who does not want to be pregnat to carry a baby to term? do you think she'll live a healthy lifestyle as responsible expectant mothers need to? do you think it won't have any effect whatsoever on the unborn child as it grows and develops in a toxic and negative environment to a mother who never wanted it in the first place?

I just don't understand your reasoning at all. If it was something like abort one week, or deliver the next, i could possibly understand, but to expect people to deal with 9months of work for something they have no interest in, just baffles me.
Suzuka Master

What gets to me even more is those pro-lifers who think abortions should be banned.

Like it or not, you will NEVER stop people from aborting pregancies. Better to be done by professionals with the proper equipment and medication than have women self-aborting...
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Wow....I've been around here for over 2 years and I think this is as pissed off a post I have ever seen from you.

I think if a child is really unwanted and the mother refuses to care for the child during pregnancy so she can give him or her up for adoption, then abortion is better option.

I would hate to read in the news that this same upstanding mother drowned, burned, bounced off the floor, smothered, sold, or used the child as a weapon.
Not to but how surprised where you when you read/heard that in the news?
Team Owner

No, that doesn't.

Unfortunately, if they really do not want the child, then that 9 month sacrifice is a lot. I have seen enough to know that some people don't ever want kids. The last think I would like to see is a pregnant woman who never wanted the child drinking a bottle of Jack, smoking a cigerette and snorting whatever she can get her hands on even if she is giving the child up.
My Garage

I don't know when life starts, I don't remember anything before about 3, but I know i was alive before that.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Not to but how surprised where you when you read/heard that in the news?
Sadly, I was just mildly suprised. People are messed up.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

what sense is there in forcing a woman who does not want to be pregnat to carry a baby to term? do you think she'll live a healthy lifestyle as responsible expectant mothers need to? do you think it won't have any effect whatsoever on the unborn child as it grows and develops in a toxic and negative environment to a mother who never wanted it in the first place?

I just don't understand your reasoning at all. If it was something like abort one week, or deliver the next, i could possibly understand, but to expect people to deal with 9months of work for something they have no interest in, just baffles me.
I agree again...I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Gibson, do you really think some girl who got knocked up after some one night stand out drinking and getting all sorts of fucked up is ready to buckle down and be responsible while pregnant? I wonder how often crack babies get adopted...hmm
Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
What gets to me even more is those pro-lifers who think abortions should be banned.

Like it or not, you will NEVER stop people from aborting pregancies. Better to be done by professionals with the proper equipment and medication than have women self-aborting...
shop vacs and coat hangers will always be cheaper!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Gibson, do you really think some girl who got knocked up after some one night stand out drinking and getting all sorts of fucked up is ready to buckle down and be responsible while pregnant? I wonder how often crack babies get adopted...hmm

Most of us will gain responsibility from realizing we are about to be parents. Some people do not want that responsibility, and some should never have it.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

shop vacs and coat hangers will always be cheaper!
You could always just wait a few months and use her stomach as a punching bag!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:15 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Voted pro-choice. Thankfully, I have never had to deal with this issue personally.

I agree with those who say it shouldn't be used as an alternative to standard birth control. If your upbringing forbids you from using birth control, then it probably forbids you from having sex. So, if you're going to break one of the rules, play it safe and break both rules.

As for when life begins, two cells do not make a life. What is the cutoff? I can't say for sure, but if the embryo cannot live outside of the womb, then it is not a baby. A premature baby, while not full term, can live with adequate care. First trimester should not be an issue. Second trimester is a little more difficult, still seems less than a baby. Third trimester abortions should really only be done if there is substantial risk to the woman's life.

Of course, there are so many other issues that tie into this:
1. Is it wrong to terminate a pregnancy because you find out the child would be abnormal?
2. If you say life begins at conception, do you charge a woman with murder if she miscarries?
3. If you say life begins at conception, can a pregnant woman legally drive in the carpool lane? Or if she gets hit by another driver and dies, does he get charged with two counts of vehicular manslaughter?

:canofworms:
Old 10-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

:iblawandordersvurerun:

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moeronn
:canofworms:
Too late.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
RIP Dime...

The real question is how many of the burned out crackheads have abortions? A common theme is for those in a lower income class to have an abortion because they don't want to bring up their kids in a rough existance. Unfortunately, these people are not the ones who are having the most abortions. They can't afford them! Instead we should be educating people on the consequences of their actions.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

If a condom breaks, then take the morning after pill. I just don't see the sense in having an abortion when there are so many birth control options out there. Why punish something you've created because of your mistake?

I do understand the need for an abortion due to rape, health issues, etc....I don't think it should be used as a substitute to birth control
Old 10-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

OK....another scenario for you all.....

Mother is pregnant and have fatal complications. Her only chance of survival is an abortion to under go treatment. The child have no chance of survival. What is a pro-lifer to do?

I ask because when my wife was pregnant we saw it in a movie and it started a long discussion with us.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:20 PM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by 98CLChick
If a condom breaks, then take the morning after pill. I just don't see the sense in having an abortion when there are so many birth control options out there. Why punish something you've created because of your mistake?

I do understand the need for an abortion due to rape, health issues, etc....I don't think it should be used as a substitute to birth control
Old 10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 98CLChick

The bottom line is that people make mistakes. Should the parents and child suffer because of an honest mistake?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
My Garage

It's fucked up, I agree, they probably wouldn't live the healthiest preganacy. A woman who is pregant and treats her body like shit is scum to me. But I don't think that a majority of those woman would kill the baby after it was born, so if they realized what they were actually doing to it while inside them, they would feel equally guilty. To them it is a burden, a problem and they are instincts are to not care about it because of that. I don't condone that behavior either. Wish it could be prevented, but i guess it can't.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Team Owner

Instead we should be educating people on the consequences of their actions.
I have students that can't grasp math....you want to try to teach them they need to use something other than the pull out method?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I think we have a decent sex ed program around here. Its not that stupid ass abstinance only thing, and most self respecting people I know of, and even dis self respecting people don't bare back it.

Edit: Sex>Math

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
RIP Dime...

I have students that can't grasp math....you want to try to teach them they need to use something other than the pull out method?
haha, I understand what you're saying. However, most of your students probably view math as something they're never going to use in their life.
I guarantee that if you bring a couple of former teenage parents into your class to talk about the difficulties of raising a child as a teen, it would grab their attention.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Adoption trumps Abortion in my mind.
Your right, but put your self in the womans shoes. Its hard to carry something that you grow very attatched to for 9 months, just to give it up. I understand some people can do that, but others cant. So to some, thats not an option.

Myself would rather see adoption than abortion, but sometimes adoption just isnt a choice because the mother gets too attatched to the child, cant say that I blaime them.

Even if there is birth control present, that does not mean that its guranteed to work. But then the arguement comes into play "If your not ready to suffer the consiquences, then you should just not have sex".

I guess, being someone that has been in this situation of a "mistake", my views are different. Every situation is different.

I am pro-choice.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

haha, I understand what you're saying. However, most of your students probably view math as something they're never going to use in their life.
I guarantee that if you bring a couple of former teenage parents into your class to talk about the difficulties of raising a child as a teen, it would grab their attention.
You may not know it, but I teach college....A lot of them happen to be or know a lot of teenage mothers.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Your right, but put your self in the womans shoes. Its hard to carry something that you grow very attatched to for 9 months, just to give it up. I understand some people can do that, but others cant. So to some, thats not an option.

Myself would rather see adoption than abortion, but sometimes adoption just isnt a choice because the mother gets too attatched to the child, cant say that I blaime them.

Even if there is birth control present, that does not mean that its guranteed to work. But then the arguement comes into play "If your not ready to suffer the consiquences, then you should just not have sex".

I guess, being someone that has been in this situation of a "mistake", my views are different. Every situation is different.

I am pro-choice.
I have considered that. I have a lot of personal experience with people close to me carrying a baby to term and having an abortion. And I am pro choice, same as you.

I think I should have written that ideally...Adoption trumps Abortion.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
RIP Dime...

You may not know it, but I teach college....A lot of them happen to be or know a lot of teenage mothers.
I apologize for my ignorance, I didn't know you taught college.

What would you suggest as a solution then? Obviously there's more than a few of your students who chose not to have abortions and struggle with math.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SwervinCL

I am pro-choice.
Exactly what I've been saying. Adoption just doesn't work for some people.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok.... I am starting to get annoyed. If you view the early term fetus as a baby(even though you are incorrect), there should be NO exceptions. Same goes the other way.

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Ok.... I am starting to get annoyed. If you view the early term fetus as a baby(even though you are incorrect), there should be NO exceptions. Same goes the other way.

Mike
I think the point of the thread was "how many people will get annoyed"
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Pro choice is exactly that. Not Pro-abortion, but Pro a person's right to choose.
Pro Life is support of removing the choice, an anathema in the USA where choice (within reason) is supposed to be a part of life.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb

Mike
You should not be allowed to do it after your first trimester.