Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PSP: Gradius is coming!!

Old 11-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Thumbs up PSP: Gradius is coming!!

YES! Finally!!!

===============

Gradius Portable Set For PSP
Konami brings dream collection to the small wide screen with a host of features.
by Anoop Gantayat

November 2, 2005 - A classic of arcade shooting is being revived in a big way for the PSP. Retailers in Japan report that Konami will bring five Gradius titles to the PSP as part of one content-packed collection. Titled Gradius Portable, the single UMD disk will include Gradius I, II, III, IV and Gradius Gaiden.

Konami isn't going the quick route with the collection. Players will be able to chose from a number of options, setting the size of their ship, turning slowdown on and off, and zooming up the action to fill the screen. Gradius I and II are even being given an option to expand the play map for full screen play without stretching things out.

A new save/load system will make it into the game, allowing you to save directly from the pause screen whenever you like. You can then continue play from your point of saving with your health and power up conditions in tact. The save file remains once you've continued play, allowing you to retry from the save point to your heart's content.

Konami is also filling the game with enough gallery content to please all Gradius fans. Movies from Gradius Deluxe Pack (PlayStation), Gradius III & IV (PS2) and Gradius Gaiden (PlayStation) will be included in a movie gallery, with the footage recompressed from their original master copies, ensuring the highest quality. A sound gallery will feature music from all titles.

This awesome collection is set for Japanese release on 2/9 at the price of a standard PSP game. With so much value in one package, we have a feeling the game would pass any approval requirements thrown at it by Sony America, so a US release sounds like a definite possibility.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
...and Yum falls out of his chair.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
...and Yum falls out of his chair.
I tells you; 34 minutes after I started the thread, I'm still giggling.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I'm glad I don't have a PSP. PSP w/ Gradius would own my life.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Still giggling. Just FYI.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:50 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
YES! Finally!!!

===============

Gradius Portable Set For PSP
Konami brings dream collection to the small wide screen with a host of features.
by Anoop Gantayat

November 2, 2005 - A classic of arcade shooting is being revived in a big way for the PSP. Retailers in Japan report that Konami will bring five Gradius titles to the PSP as part of one content-packed collection. Titled Gradius Portable, the single UMD disk will include Gradius I, II, III, IV and Gradius Gaiden.

Konami isn't going the quick route with the collection. Players will be able to chose from a number of options, setting the size of their ship, turning slowdown on and off, and zooming up the action to fill the screen. Gradius I and II are even being given an option to expand the play map for full screen play without stretching things out.

A new save/load system will make it into the game, allowing you to save directly from the pause screen whenever you like. You can then continue play from your point of saving with your health and power up conditions in tact. The save file remains once you've continued play, allowing you to retry from the save point to your heart's content.

Konami is also filling the game with enough gallery content to please all Gradius fans. Movies from Gradius Deluxe Pack (PlayStation), Gradius III & IV (PS2) and Gradius Gaiden (PlayStation) will be included in a movie gallery, with the footage recompressed from their original master copies, ensuring the highest quality. A sound gallery will feature music from all titles.

This awesome collection is set for Japanese release on 2/9 at the price of a standard PSP game. With so much value in one package, we have a feeling the game would pass any approval requirements thrown at it by Sony America, so a US release sounds like a definite possibility.
Super R-Type > Gradius
Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Super R-Type > Gradius
I dunno...both are great games and franchises.

I'm just giddy that the PSP finally has a shooter that I've been ing for since its release...
Old 01-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Thumbs up Gradius Collection Announced

=============

Source: ign.com

by Juan Castro

January 25, 2006 - Konami announced The Gradius Collection for PSP back in November 2005. At the time, it wasn't clear whether the compilation would remain overseas or see a local release in the states. Today, Konami clarified that yes, Gradius Collection will indeed see a domestic release. Good thing, too, since it sounds like it's going to be a pretty sweet package.

For those who don't know, the collection will include five different Gradius games, including Gradius, Gradius II, Gradius III and Gradius IV. The last title, Gradius Gaiden, never actually shipped in the US so it's the first time many will get to play it.

"Gradius is one of the most beloved Konami franchises of all time and The Gradius Collection provides fans with five of the most classic games in one exciting release," said Dennis Lee, Group Manager at Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. "This title is a dream come true for Gradius fans and a perfect game for the PSP system. Now gamers can enjoy all the non-stop shooting action which Gradius is known for, in a thrilling portable gaming experience."

Here's a recap of other features included in the game: A new save/load system will make it into the game, allowing you to save directly from the pause screen whenever you like. You can then continue play from your point of saving with your health and power up conditions in tact. The save file remains once you've continued play, allowing you to retry from the save point to your heart's content.

Stay tuned, folks.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

See...this is what the PSP needs. Now, release R-Type as well, dammit!

And Ikaruga! Double-
Old 01-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OK THATS IT.... i'm goin to buy a friggin PSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
oh i love Gradius.

Remember...i think it was call Life Force on the NES. i thought that was better than Gradius 1.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:46 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
I won't wait for the US release. I've pre-ordered the Japanese version already...

These are the posters for the Japanese release:

The kanjis(Chinese characters) on the second poster means: "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, X, O, start". A self-parody of the famous "Konami code".
Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by ib_jimmy
oh i love Gradius.

Remember...i think it was call Life Force on the NES. i thought that was better than Gradius 1.
Life Force(Salamander outside of the US) is indeed better than Gradius 1. And IMO better than the original arcade version too.

Easily one of the best game in the 80s.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:58 PM
MSZ
Lola

Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=9090&type=wmv
Old 01-28-2006, 02:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Nice find, MSZ!

Can't wait for this title to come out...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Another update!

=================

Source: www.ign.com

A universe of galactic action made just for your pocket. New screens and impressions!

by Juan Castro

May 2, 2006 - It sounds like a dream come true for any serious fan. To have five Gradius titles in one ultra-compact package. But that's exactly what Gradius Collection offers. Instead of packing just one or two titles, Konami decided to throw in all five. This includes the original Gradius, Gradius II, Gradius III and Gradius IV. The last title, Gradius Gaiden, never actually shipped in the US so it's the first time many will get to play it.

Each title appears in full form, so there's nothing missing. On a similar note, Konami has left everything just as you remember. It didn't add or tweak anything, so every enemy, stage and power-up retains that classic flavor. And that's just how most fans would want it. That's not to say there's nothing new at all, because there is, but the changes deal mostly with interface and options. As such, Gradius Collection offers five perfect ports.

And since it's all stuffed on a single UMD, it's possible to lug around wherever you may be traveling. As for the changes mentioned above, you can now enjoy the luxuries afforded by a modern save system. Each title in the collection lets you save the game whenever you wish. All you need to do is pause the game and choose the save option. The game won't pick up exactly where you left off, but it's close. Each stage has a series of checkpoints, usually before a boss fight, etc, when you'll need to stop and save. The game doesn't do it for you, so if you forget, it's curtains.

Also, you can set the number of lives and continues for each game. This should come in handy for those new to the series, but also those hardened space jocks that want more of a challenge. In addition, each game now supports two different perspectives: the traditional 4:3 and the PSP's native widescreen 16:9. As cool as it is playing Gradius in widescreen, there's still a substantial decrease in screen size. And in games like these, where the smallest dot on the screen and cause your death, things can get a little tough to see.

Which brings up another nifty addition. You can now adjust the "hit box" for your ships. Konami understands that playing Gradius on the PSP is far from easy, so it implemented an option to customize how much damage your ship takes. Or rather, how forgiving the game is toward imperfect players. Instead of just detonating whenever something hits your ship, you can now set it so only direct hits will have any effect; anything that hits your ship's tail or any other extremity won't count. Again, it's completely optional, so there isn't a need to turn this on if you won't want it.

Finally, you can manually set the "wait level" for each game on or off. What this translates too, in case the above sounded a little cryptic, is that you can decide whether or not you want to play with slowdown. Obviously, the PSP can handle whatever visual panache these classics can throw at it, but if you want to play old school, you can. So, including all five games, you'll score some 40 stages of Gradius goodness. And, fortunately, none of titles come locked. It's open for you to jump into whichever title you want.

And here's a brief recap on the bonus material included in Gradius collection, in case you missed it: There's a gallery with movies from Gradius Deluxe Pack (PlayStation), Gradius III & IV (PS2) and Gradius Gaiden (PlayStation) will be included in a movie gallery, with the footage recompressed from their original master copies, ensuring the highest quality. A sound gallery will feature music from all titles. That's a good deal of content any way you look at it.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
MSZ
Lola

They still haven't released this thing in the US?

I have been playing the Japanese version for 2 months now...
Old 05-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MSZ
They still haven't released this thing in the US?

I have been playing the Japanese version for 2 months now...
Well, a nice fark-you to you too!

Rub it in, why don't ya?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:31 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Rub it in, why don't ya?
Oh why not...

This is a fucking shmup, so language barrier is a non-issue here.

PSP doesn't have region-lock for games, so it's also a non-issue.

This is year 2006 not 1986, you can import Japanese games from any online shops.

So why wait for the identical US version?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
Oh why not...

This is a fucking shmup, so language barrier is a non-issue here.

PSP doesn't have region-lock for games, so it's also a non-issue.

This is year 2006 not 1986, you can import Japanese games from any online shops.

So why wait for the identical US version?
that's exactly what i was thinking.. all these kids at my school already played through the japanese version and now moving onto other games to ship in.. i think the first kid that imported it had it since beginning of march? none of them can even read japanese either but that game is so easy to navigate through without even knowing japanese. plus alot of the settings and displays are already in english! haha

i dont have a psp since i didnt really think its worth getting but it gets so tempting every now and then.. sigh.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
holy crap.. ok so i just looked at the screen shots and OMG i SOOOOOO remember playing and loving this game as a kid... shizznit soo many games i want now for teh PSP

about damn time..

let see, this gradius collection, bomberman, capcoms puzzle world... yeesh

maybe ill finally blow the dust off my PSP
Old 09-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse
holy crap.. ok so i just looked at the screen shots and OMG i SOOOOOO remember playing and loving this game as a kid... shizznit soo many games i want now for teh PSP

about damn time..

Capcom Classics is good too.

You should also pick up LocoRoco. It's great!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 AM

locoroco? interesting...
Old 09-20-2006, 04:49 AM
MSZ
Lola

about damn time..

You should spend some time on Gradius V too, highly recommanded.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 PM
MSZ
Lola

Konami Brings Shooting Classics to PSP

Parodius, Salamander and Twinbee resurrected.
by IGN Staff

October 18, 2006 - Konami will be following up on last year's well-received Gradius Collection (Gradius Portable in Japan) with three new shooter bundles for the Japanese market. The latest issue of Famitsu contains first details on Salamander Portable, Parodius Portable and Twinbee Portable for the PSP.

Each collection includes five titles, one of which is being kept secret. Here's what's been announced so far.

Salamander Portable
Salamander (1986)
Life Force (1987)
Xexex (1991)
Salamander 2 (1996)

Parodius Portable
Parodius da! (1990)
Gokujou Parodius: Kakou no Eikou wo Momomete (1994)
Sexy Parodius (1996)
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius - forever with me - (1996)

Twinbee Portable
Twinbee (1985)
Detana Twinbee (1991)
Twinbee Yahho! Fushigi no Kuni de Ooabare!! (1995)
Pop'n Twinbee (1996)

Details on the bonuses planned for the titles have only partially come to light. Famitsu confirms that Salamander will offer original and wide modes of play. Parodius will offer a galery mode which allows you to enjoy the classic sounds of the series. It's possible that these modes will be available across all three titles.

Famitsu also confirms that Twinbee will allow you to hold the PSP in a rarely used vertical mode in order to mimic the long aspect ratio of the original arcade machine.

All three collections will be released to Japan in January, carrying a 3980 yen price point. US versions have yet to be announced.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

^
Old 10-18-2006, 09:08 PM

vertical mode?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:16 PM
MSZ
Lola

vertical mode?
AKA tate mode.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:21 PM
MSZ
Lola

Looks like Gradius will be landed on DS as well...

Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits Hands-on
Gradius, Contra...some true arcade classics are coming to the Nintendo DS.

October 20, 2006 - Classic arcade game compilations are nothing new, but for reasons unknown companies have yet to embrace this concept on the Nintendo DS. Oh, sure, we got the pretty crummy Retro Atari Classics pack near the launch of the system, but the less said about that product the better. Next year, however, Konami will be bringing Nintendo DS owners some of their huge arcade hits in accurate recreations so you can get some 80s gaming on the go.

Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits will be officially announced by the company next week, but we were given the thumbs-up to break the news on this product. The current roster of more than a dozen games is not final yet, but the definites in this pack include Circus Charlie, Contra, Gradius, Roc'N Rope, Rush'N Attack, Time Pilot, Track & Field, and Yie-Ar Kung Fu. At least four more games will make the list...hopefully more if development time allows for it. Konami stopped by the office earlier this week to give us a taste-test of what to expect in the final product due out in a few months.

In this very early build we got a chance to sample Contra and Time Pilot to see how well the Nintendo DS can handle the arcade emulation. And from what we experienced, the DS can handle it pretty darn well. Contra had the same look, sound, and feel of the original arcade game, and because the original arcade game was vertically oriented (a standard monitor tipped 90 degrees), players could opt to change visual options on the fly with a button press so they can play the game the same way...turning the DS in its book orientation. Time Pilot look like it played much more accurately to the arcade game than the overly easy Xbox Live 360 version for download.

The game's action takes place on the upper screen, with the lower-screen currently unused other than simple functions like pause control. Since the game's still got several months to go in development we'll give the developers the benefit of the doubt and hope they'll put that additional touch screen to use somehow.

Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits will not only feature the original arcade games, but also unique DS remixed modes. The games will also support multiplayer using the Nintendo DS system's wireless capabilities, but no word on Download Play multiplayer.
Since Konami's currently big on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, what with both Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Winning Eleven supporting the network, we asked about possible online play. So far, it's a no.

We'll have more on Konami Classic Series: Arcade Hits as it progresses in development. But check out some single screen DS shots of the announced games by hitting the media link below.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/740/740892p1.html