Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PS3: Gran Turismo 5 **11/24/2010 Release Date (page 33)**

Old 09-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS3: Gran Turismo 5

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060921-7802.html

The latest installment in the Gran Turismo series will be called Gran Turismo: HD. Sony is really pushing the high resolution aspect of the PS3, so look for more titles to use the "HD" moniker. GT:HD will be released in two installments: the first will be "Classic" and will hit shelves in time for the PS3 launch. Coming later will be the "Premium" edition that will use more advanced graphics technology and be essentially a preview for the "proper" GT5, which is scheduled for release in 2008.

Besides the graphical improvements, the major news about GT:HD revolves around the online portion of the game. The game starts out with no cars or tracks loaded. Players can purchase cars for ¥50-100 (about $0.45 to $0.85) and courses for ¥200-500 ($1.70 to $4.30). Online race events are defined by the players themselves, and can be held at any time. Initially, over 750 cars and 50 tracks will be made available, with additional releases to come over time. There are also plans for "limited edition" car and track downloads, which will likely be priced higher.

GT:HD Premium will come with 30 cars and two courses built-in, with additional ones available for purchase online in the same fashion. Aside from the improved graphics, it will have additional features such as variable weather. The game itself will be more free-form than the Classic release, more of a driving simulator than a standard singleplayer game where you earn new content by completing various missions.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
So if you have to buy stuff in the game, is the game cheaper off the shelf?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Most likely. This is the same thing Test Drive Unlimited is doing for the 360. It's only $40 off the shelf but does come with cars. From there you can puchase car packs for the game.

My guess is that GT HD will be even cheaper since it comes with nothing. They'll probably sell the game then release some starter packs... and after you buy everything it will equal the price a regular PS3 game except you'll be able to choose what cars you want and what tracks you want verses following a linear model of game play to unlock certain things.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,870 Likes on 5,512 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
So if you have to buy stuff in the game, is the game cheaper off the shelf?
it better the damn be...!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't like the way where this is headed. Pretty soon, I'm going to be paying $100+ month for upkeep on all my games!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Agreed. Already the trend on the 360 with Test Drive Unlimited and Madden 07 (supposedly you can buy team packs to get the retro jerseys that used to be included in the past games)

I understand it, but do not want to be forced into doing it. I should be able to get a fully operational game and not have to buy or upgrade things that used to be standard in previous versions.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,990 Posts
thats cool for the variable weather but what about crash damage?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
600 bucks for the system must not be enough...
Old 09-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree this shit is starting to get ridicolous. I might have to find a new hobby.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
600 bucks for the system must not be enough...
Has nothing to do with the price of the system or any one particular system. X360 already has several games where you can/have to buy stuff for certain games. Plus, pricing dropped and the PS3 can now be had for $420

It's the game developers getting greedy. Everyone can thank Microsoft and XBOX Live for starting this trend...
Old 09-23-2006, 11:05 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Online capabilities is a double edged sword. You get to play online, but it also enables developers to do stuff like this.

Im not happy about it, but I will still be downloading/ paying for cars cars daily...
Old 09-23-2006, 11:21 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734935p1.html

TGS 2006: Gran Turismo For Cheap
Sony to practically give away first PS3 entry.
by Anoop Gantayat

September 23, 2006 - Bummed about Sony's micro transaction plans for Gran Turismo HD? Well this news might soften the blow just a bit. Japan's Impress Watch games site reports that, in comments made to the Japanese press, series producer Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that Sony plans to make GT HD available for the cost of the game disk and instruction manual. This suggests a retail price point of just a few dollars for the first PS3 Gran Turismo game.

This form of distribution is not new in the online gaming world. The PC version of Swing Golf Panya, for instance, is available for free. All monetary transactions coming when players purchase items. The PC title has thus far been a big success.

GT HD will include two main modes of play, Sony revealed earlier this week. Classic mode is basically Gran Turismo 4 running in 1080p along with a few other visual enhancements. The focus of this mode is on online play. Players race one-another online and purchase cars and tracks for a few dollars each. This mode won't include any courses and tracks from the start.

In comparison, those who want a more offline-oriented experience will be able to try out Premium mode. In addition to offering an early glimpse at the Gran Turismo 5 graphics engine (the actual GT5 won't be released until 2008), this mode will include 30 cars and 2 brand-new tracks right out of the box.

Sony clarified at TGS that Premium mode itself will have downloads. Players will be able to download 30 additional cars and a couple of additional tracks at the time of the game's release. The timing of these downloads suggests that they will not be free.

Development on Gran Turismo HD is currently at the 70% mark. A Japanese release is set for December.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Moderator

GT online is gonna be KING.... y'allz are going down, lol...
Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 AM
To punish and enslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't to play you fools online!
Old 09-24-2006, 12:51 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Has nothing to do with the price of the system or any one particular system. X360 already has several games where you can/have to buy stuff for certain games. Plus, pricing dropped and the PS3 can now be had for $420

It's the game developers getting greedy. Everyone can thank Microsoft and XBOX Live for starting this trend...
when did it drop to 420!!!!!?????
Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
So let me get this...

Average car price: $0.65
Cars available at launch: 750

Lets just say not everyone is a car freak. Maybe the average person will buy 300 cars?

$0.65 x 300 = $195.00

AND...

Average track price: $3.00
Tracks available at launch: 50

Lets just say that not everyone wants every single track either. About 30 tracks?

$3.00 x 30 = $90

And lets just say the game itself is $20.

$195.00
$ 90.00
$ 20.00
$305.00

Well, at least now I won't have to wonder why the fuck there's a Daihatsu truck in the dealership for sale, because now I don't have to spend money to see that turd in the game.

I love GT so much that I was about to go out and buy a slim PS2, used GT4 and a wheel, but I was hesitant, because I think I would be able to afford a PS3. I think after reading this article, I will go out and get the PS2, GT4, and the wheel. I should have kept my old PS2...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, MORE CARS WILL COME OUT IN THE FUTURE! And the "limited edition" BS they feed us will cost even more.

I bet not all 750 cars will be fully ready by launch. Maybe 400, then they work out the bugs on the 350 cars (in-game) that are ridiculously priced, since no one is going to get them for quite a while anyway.

I may sound like a Microsoft "fanboy" or whatever, but this is insane. I've seen people use the term M$ a lot. I think now they're going to start using $ony quite a bit.

Oh... and if they don't even let you buy a 2G TL, or Inspire or Saber or whatever in GT HD, I will be pissed.

Last edited by Costco; 09-24-2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:59 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the point of all this, will their be a season with basic progression like the old games, or will it be whoever has more money gets more shit. I couldnt wait for GT to go online, but now i'm regretting it. It's one thing to play online, but it's another thing for a 14 year old kid that had to convince his parents to get him an expensive ass PS3, to also buy him cars in the game as well. Although GT's driving will be better, i say Forza 2 for FTW, because with that game, you will be able to buy cars online, but you will get an assload included with the game as well.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,206 Posts
If stuff like this becomes the norm, this will kill the used game market. Perhaps that is what they are trying to do.

If they sell the game "shell" for $30 and expect you to put $30 more into online upgrades, cheap people like me that want to spend $10-$20 on a used game won't find having to put another $30 into that game attractive.

Also, how many parents are willing to let their kids buy these upgrades online? I know if I just just bought my kid a game for $40 and a half hour later he is looking for my credit card to buy upgrades I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:41 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734938p1.html

TGS 2006: Gran Turismo HD Update
Details on car damage, updated AI, and more!
by Anoop Gantayat

Yamauchi provided a summary of what's known about GT HD so far, including the split in modes between classic and premium. Just to avoid confusion, we'll repeat the details here. Classic mode is GT4 in high definition and with a few additional visual enhancements. The mode will be playable exclusively through downloadable cars and tracks. Premium mode is a single player preview of Gran Turismo 5, featuring a full-fledged PS3 graphics engine and detailed tracks and car models.

Yamauchi also touched upon the new Ferrari license that came to light earlier this week. Ferrari cars will not only appear in GT HD, but starting half a year from now and continuing for a period of a year, Polyphony Digital and Ferrari will engage in collaborative marketing efforts.

The focus of Yamauchi's speech was on GT HD's online aspects. "GT HD is an online game," said Yamauchi, " and a large scale one at that." While we've already written about the game's online features, from online races to car and track downloads, Yamauchi today hinted at deeper plans. "We'd like to offer users the freedom that was only available to developers," he explained, without going into further details.

While GT HD's reliance on micro transactions came to light earlier in the week, Yamauchi let slip a few specifics regarding Sony's download plans for the game and, potentially, other online PlayStation titles. Sony will host a PlayStation Store service, Yamauchi revealed. This store will be accessible from the PlayStation 3's main menu. For GT-HD, this is where you'll be able to purchase new cars and tracks.

Downloads will be included in both the premium and classic modes of play. The premium mode, as we mentioned in an earlier article, will include 30 cars and 2 courses from the start. Available for download at launch, according to Sony's official press materials, will be one new course and 30 additional cars. Yamauchi revealed at the talk event that premium-grade cars and courses will continue to be added in the future for download.

For classic mode, the number of potential downloads is staggering. Users will be able to download 770 cars, 51 courses and 4,500 items. These numbers are end targets though. At the start of service, only 51 "items" will be available for download. Yamauchi did not give specifics on how this number breaks down.

Car damage will at long last make it into GT-HD, Yamauchi revealed. However, this long sought-after feature won't be available from the start. Polyphony plans to make it available as an update some time in 2007.

Also set to become available through an update is opponent AI. Polyphony will make updated opponent AI routines available for download in the first half of 2007.

Yamauchi also commented on a mysterious new feature that was noticed by some in the GT HD demo on display in the Sony booth. The demo offered players a choice between "normal" and "professional" driving models. Professional, will offer a more realistic driving experience, explained Yamauchi.

So why are we getting this fragmented download project instead of the real GT5? Yamauchi discussed some of the logistics behind making the next Gran Turismo. "Creating a car for GT4 took approximately one month. This time, it takes half a year," explained Yamauchi, referring to the development of a car for the premium mode of GT HD (that is to say, cars at the GT5 spec level). "The amount of data for each car is approximately 20 times that of GT4."
Old 09-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
I can't to play you fools online!
no shit.... how the damn long have us GT ppl waited... lol.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
So let me get this...

Average car price: $0.65
Cars available at launch: 750

Lets just say not everyone is a car freak. Maybe the average person will buy 300 cars?

$0.65 x 300 = $195.00

AND...

Average track price: $3.00
Tracks available at launch: 50

Lets just say that not everyone wants every single track either. About 30 tracks?

$3.00 x 30 = $90

And lets just say the game itself is $20.

$195.00
$ 90.00
$ 20.00
$305.00

Well, at least now I won't have to wonder why the fuck there's a Daihatsu truck in the dealership for sale, because now I don't have to spend money to see that turd in the game.

I love GT so much that I was about to go out and buy a slim PS2, used GT4 and a wheel, but I was hesitant, because I think I would be able to afford a PS3. I think after reading this article, I will go out and get the PS2, GT4, and the wheel. I should have kept my old PS2...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, MORE CARS WILL COME OUT IN THE FUTURE! And the "limited edition" BS they feed us will cost even more.

I bet not all 750 cars will be fully ready by launch. Maybe 400, then they work out the bugs on the 350 cars (in-game) that are ridiculously priced, since no one is going to get them for quite a while anyway.

I may sound like a Microsoft "fanboy" or whatever, but this is insane. I've seen people use the term M$ a lot. I think now they're going to start using $ony quite a bit.

Oh... and if they don't even let you buy a 2G TL, or Inspire or Saber or whatever in GT HD, I will be pissed.
you got some good math skillz son...

btw and this is not even for the "real" GT5... this is the inbetween game.. LOL!!!

honestly out of all the cars available in GT4, ask me how many of them I race on a somewhat regular basis. I will answer, 20 tops. Ask me the same question regarding tracks. I will answer similarly. I am not too worried about the pricing on this.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Ferrari cars will not only appear in GT HD, but starting half a year from now and continuing for a period of a year, Polyphony Digital and Ferrari will engage in collaborative marketing efforts.
very very interesting. So Ferrari has never been in any GT game up until now. (I personally think Ferrari just wasn't aware of the franchise - and therefore was never able to acknowledge it). Now, they finally get in, some 10 years after the launch of the initial GT, and blam, Ferrari wants to collaborate with them on further projects. I am willing to bet the accuracy of Polyphony's modelling - compared to the others - had something to do with it. Amen for finally getting accurate Ferraris.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

thinking about it more:

1) spend 2 hrs (or more) on a series trying to win some car I want. or do that stupid tedious B-spec sheit. total waste of time babysitting that sheit.

2) pay $.65 for it.

money:time. $.65 compared to 2 hrs is NOTHANG. Maybe the sweeter cars will cost more. I don't care - I'd pay more for a LM car or something. Maybe if GT was the only thing in my life (it's not anymore lol) I could sit in front of the TV for hours every day trying to finish the game. But right here, right now, I will pay a small amount to get the cars I want and consequently also get instant gratification.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

excellant... car damage. I totally understand it taking a while to develop, that is an insane amount of programming right - especially when you do it Polyphony-style. ;p
Old 09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure how fun this is going to be, with a single player mode with two tracks? You win, so what? do you win the game? ehh not really. its just wierd. Online will be fun though
Old 09-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
not sure how fun this is going to be, with a single player mode with two tracks? You win, so what? do you win the game? ehh not really. its just wierd. Online will be fun though
Sony is basically admitting this is an "incomplete" version - reasoning that it will buy the GT5 development team some time by giving the fans something material to work with while waiting. And, I tend to agree.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,916 Likes on 14,037 Posts
Teaser here: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/713/713809/vids_1.html

But, it looks ugly...you wouldn't want to see it. Honest.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,916 Likes on 14,037 Posts
And definitely no WOW factor whatsoever.

Zip.

Zilch.

Nada.

Nope.

And oops. I forgot my red pen today.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean

OK. So do you get any cars at all? Or do you have to buy them all?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
OK. So do you get any cars at all? Or do you have to buy them all?
from page 1:

The premium mode, as we mentioned in an earlier article, will include 30 cars and 2 courses from the start.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

from another site:

GT:HD Classic

This version is what we have seen the most of so far, and features the following:

- Online: Quick Race/Tuned Race/Private Race/Time Attack and several other modes are added. The online will be launched worldwide at the same time. Supports 20 players online (up from 12)
- Downloadable Cars and Tracks. No cars or tracks come with the game, but you can buy your favorte cars and tracks online.

GT:HD Premium

This is a preview version of what we can expect in Gran Turismo 5, featuring:

- real-time weather change (yes!)
- highly detailed models, presumably of the quality we saw at E3 2005 (yes!)
- detailed interiors
- 3D spectators
- 2 tracks, one new nature (probably nice looking new design a la Trial Mountain) and one existing city track (presumably revamped Tokyo?)
- 30 cars included
- 2 tracks (existing racetracks) and 30 cars available for download later on
- unknown number of game-modes and events, that do not unlock cars
- unknown online options (none?)

GT5

- will have downloadable tracks and cars (some special ones may cost money, others free)
- will have downloadable tuning parts
- as yet undecided whether these can be traded online
- will have a lot of online features, evolved from the experiences with the GT:HD versions
- has real-time weather change
- in 2008. Let's not spend too many more words on it.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

good points:

a) Sony really wants a GT title available on or around launch.

b) PD don't want to rush out GT5 (as if they could!) so will release a Prologue style stop gap, or two.

c) PD have actually listened to what the fans want this time.

d) Sony/PD want to test the waters with online modes of play and online downloadable content and get it working well and sorted before they fully jump in with their flagship title (GT5)
Old 09-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Also.. another thing is happening here. GT:HD is exploring the inevitable idea of "no media" that we have discussed in the past. Sure, it comes with media - but you aren't going to pay a lot for the media - the bulk of the game will be downloadable. That being said, I would have to say that GT:HD is one of the fore-runners of the future of gaming. i.e. there will come a time when all games will be setup like this, and nobody will raise a brow. The double-advantage to developers? It cuts down on piracy while allowing continual updates and improvements (something that has been limited to PC gaming up until this point). We as consumers, really cannot lose.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-25-2006, 12:48 AM
Senior Moderator

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/

no new info, just nice to see it at the official site.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this will be the norm, thank god I stop playing 8 yrs ago. I guess everyone is doing the WoW thing. Pay to play....Lots of money to keep developer busy, but not so fun for the gamers who have to pay each month. This thing is getting pretty ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Senior Moderator

its not for everyone.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Senior Moderator

time to resuscitate my GT picture page..

http://delobbo.com/gran_turismo_HD.html

1920x1080 HD screenshots. def not for the "56k" folks (may God bless you)...

you've seen some before but there are also some good track shots. the quality of these pics is not impressive at all, which kinda makes me - but still some good shots. I would expect these to just be a "teaser" type of thing, hence the subpar quality of certain ones.

Quick Reply: PS3: Gran Turismo 5 **11/24/2010 Release Date (page 33)**