Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PC: Starcraft 2 **Game is a Trilogy (page 3)**

Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
So, I bought the game...Now, I'm scared to install it.

I'm worried my marriage may be in jeopardy if I start playing...
Send me your copy. I'm sure my gf doesn't mind being a SC widow for awhile lol.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
um, yeah. I've lost count of how many nights where I stayed up to 4-5 in the morning playing SC2.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumcha
So, I bought the game...Now, I'm scared to install it.

I'm worried my marriage may be in jeopardy if I start playing...
teach your wife haha
Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,944 Likes on 14,059 Posts
The wife's doghouse is a cold, dark place.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
yea man, teach the wife... we all know how addicting that shit is
Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
did blizardgo gay again and split it up into regional?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Yes, the battle net is split up by regions.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

I taught my gf how to play protoss! she's pretty good now. she can beat very hard AIs.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Haha see yumcha, tell your wife to be like JS+MS3's gf haha

In other news, I was able to beat my friend who used to beat me a lot haha. I'm improving! The tips here are very valuable!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
why is azine full of great sc2 players, except me that is

Hm...

I am Korean. If that helps, lol

I've had some people say before they GG, "Wow, you have SC in your blood, it's not fair!"

Also, just to kill time, when you don't feel like playing SC2 because of whatever reason:
Not trying to advertise or promote, but check out: HuskyStarcraft and HDStarcraft on Youtube. Both play and commentates on SC2 high level game play. (I personally like the way Husky commentates). Each of then have over 200,000 + subscribers, so they are pretty legit. Plus side, the videos are all in High Definition Quality.

But you know, since the game is new and all, don't be afraid to go and test for your own build.

I am checking up on this thread to see if I can help in any way possible.
Sharing is caring
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

I think we need an azine team and start tackling some 4v4 or 3v3 ranked games depending on how many of you wanna play.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Well I finally purchased SC2 today... 3-1 online so far, and my loss was a stupid mistake letting him get banshees near my CC while I sent my marines to attack his base.

Question.. I try to get a bunch of marines fast to defend the base and 2 siege tanks. After the first rush by the opponent I have survived pretty well so I attack his base and take him out. Are marines the best unit out of the barracks in high numbers?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:40 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
IMO, at the beginning of the game, answer is yes .. Mid-game though, mass marines were worthless for me. I'd rather have a 2:1 ratio of Marauders to Marines when it comes to Terran.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by mystikk
IMO, at the beginning of the game, answer is yes .. Mid-game though, mass marines were worthless for me.
I'm just doing the trial/intro games right now, and once I take out the opponent's first way I can attack his base with 2 siege tanks and 12+ marines. I'll have the reactors on my barracks, so I'm pumping out 4 marines at a time and just sending them behind the original force. I don't think I've gotten to the mid-game part really.. Having the 2 siege tanks is nice
Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Bent = #1

Just won the toughest battle yet.. he setup a good defense, but I had banshees, vikings, siege tanks and a ton of marines to bombard his base. I need to work on my attack though as I have trouble focusing and lose some units I shouldn't,
Old 09-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Midgame, what works really well for me usually is dropping marines/mauraders along their mineral lines or on the side of their base if they don't have heavy air defense. Usually I'll scout beforehand or use the comsat to scan around their mineral line or their expansion. Even if they do have air D, I always throw in a few extra medivacs as decoys and extra healers, and they go in first to soak up damage.

Upgraded marines/mauraders on stims just kill so fast, though they also get killed very easily. Of the few games I've played though, I haven't seen many banelings/colossi. I did get my marine ball completely massacred by a mass tank pusher in one game before. He probably had at least 15 tanks - I barely even got close enough to attack.

That was when I was a noob though. I'm better now, though still not good yet. It's always good to have a decent variety. And micro is so important... I'm pretty bad at it, because I get focused on how awesome it looks when my units are owning

It takes me a while, but if I get a good force built up, I usually distract by harassing, either an expansion or the front of his base. Then come the medivacs to drop in the back of the main base while they're busy with the decoys.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Bent = #1

Good idea with the medivacs will have to try it out. Does anyone else build supply depots by the entrace to your area to choke off enemies? I was playing with some people who did that yesterday and they said it was very effective.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
^ I did that all the time in SC1 with a couple of bunkers filled with marines and firebats inside. From some of the vids I've seen of SC2, you can lower/raise the supply depots for your troops to get in/out when the choke point has been blocked.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup, I've been watching some pro SC players like WhiteRa and TheLittleOne go at it, they'll even set up Barracks or Gateways at the entrance to block shit off.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
Good idea with the medivacs will have to try it out. Does anyone else build supply depots by the entrace to your area to choke off enemies? I was playing with some people who did that yesterday and they said it was very effective.
If you are playing Terran against Zerg, sometimes it is a good idea to block the ramp with barracks and factory, since a lot of aggressive Zerg users try to Baneling Bust the Terran wall off.

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Midgame, what works really well for me usually is dropping marines/mauraders along their mineral lines or on the side of their base if they don't have heavy air defense. Usually I'll scout beforehand or use the comsat to scan around their mineral line or their expansion. Even if they do have air D, I always throw in a few extra medivacs as decoys and extra healers, and they go in first to soak up damage.

Upgraded marines/mauraders on stims just kill so fast, though they also get killed very easily. Of the few games I've played though, I haven't seen many banelings/colossi. I did get my marine ball completely massacred by a mass tank pusher in one game before. He probably had at least 15 tanks - I barely even got close enough to attack.

That was when I was a noob though. I'm better now, though still not good yet. It's always good to have a decent variety. And micro is so important... I'm pretty bad at it, because I get focused on how awesome it looks when my units are owning

It takes me a while, but if I get a good force built up, I usually distract by harassing, either an expansion or the front of his base. Then come the medivacs to drop in the back of the main base while they're busy with the decoys.
I do this all the time too!

Couple Hellions to your opponents natural expo mineral line while dropping 8 marauders to his main mineral line and try to take out the Nexus. It frustrates some users to the point where they just gg and fu and just get out. lol

Originally Posted by mn2trance
^ I did that all the time in SC1 with a couple of bunkers filled with marines and firebats inside. From some of the vids I've seen of SC2, you can lower/raise the supply depots for your troops to get in/out when the choke point has been blocked.
the new supply depots are so... cool... lol
Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I drive a Subata.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...mbo503702-LM2A

is this a good deal?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Maybe. I know a friend of mine just got a GTX 460 1 GB for around $200. I don't know much about power supplies and pricing. I haven't bought one in so long.

But it can be kind of a pain to change out a PS. Also, make sure the PS will fit in your computer case. There's several case form factors.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Safety Car

Walling your ramp off is essential. It has always been important in all of the Blizzard RTS games from Warcraft 2 on up. But I really like that now in SC2, all of the start points have a natural choke.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I drive a Subata.

Thanks.

I still have no idea if I really need a new PS though. haha
Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I drive a Subata.

1 downside of walling off the choke is when the opponent decides to harass with air units in the mineral line and attack the choke at the same time. If you panic and go apeshit, you can possible lose a lot of workers and potentially lose the entire game. It gets harder if the choke is relatively far apart from the mineral line or there's another choke protected by the Rocks.

So, just don't panic. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Reapers can be devastating for your opponents when it is "unexpected". Well, if you are really good at micro, it can still be pretty scary for your opponent. I usually go with early upgraded reapers to harass, only if I know the toss opponent is fast teching or getting only zealots in the early stage. If you think your opponent is getting fast stalkers, just forget reapers and go with marauders.

And the most important part of SC2 is that you build your units while doing anything. You said you have no units after microing your reapers in his base right? If you are not fast with your mouse micro, just set your barracks, factories, and starports as your groups. I usually click all of the production buildings and set them as my Group 2. So while getting super busy microing whatever, I constantly pump out more units in the base by simply pressing "2" a for marine, d for marauders, "tab" (which allows you to switch the buildings within group), e for hellions, s for tanks, "tab", d for medivac, v for vikings, e for banshee. Like that. If you practice a little, this should only take you a split second.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm down to help out AZiners.

I have no idea how many diamond divisions are in place, but I became number one in my diamond division!
That's pretty clever. Was #1 in my gold 1v1 division for a while. Gonna try that and see if I can get some streaky wins going =]
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I drive a Subata.

^Thanks.

And just to remind you, if you have 5 barracks in the group control, you have to press a for marine or d for marauders "5" times to que up all 5 barracks. If you press "a" once, then only one barracks make one marine.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
^Thanks.

And just to remind you, if you have 5 barracks in the group control, you have to press a for marine or d for marauders "5" times to que up all 5 barracks. If you press "a" once, then only one barracks make one marine.
Yeah wish it weren't like that
Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ i know. but i guess it had to systematized in that way since if you want to make 2 marines and 3 marauders, this is the only way. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I drive a Subata.

man I played this long ass T v T game yesterday. The mirror matches naturally last long. but last night one was pretty epic fun game.. it was pretty smooth in the beginning but things got really hot when i stopped my opponent's 3rd expo twice. He was getting desperate as i knew his 2nd expo was pretty much all mined out. so i was just trying to contain him for 1st and 2nd bases.

but then i realized he didn't have much ground units as i had expected, i thought he was hiding something. like 30 seconds later, he launched the nuke on my 4th expo and at the same time he flew over about 10 cloaked banshees into my main base. unfortunately, my speakers were on mute as my gf was sleeping... so i didn't hear that "nuclear launch detected" msg.. yeah all my SCV about 15 of them in 4th expo were gone instantly.

as for the banshees, i had 2 reactored starports in my 3rd expo already, so as soon as i saw his banshees flying into the base, i started pumping out vikings (4 per cycle). When I got 8 vikings, i started to take out the banshees. i had about 6 scan charges, so his cloaking didn't work much. at the same time, my main army composed of hellions, tanks, marauders, and raven that were never home because they were busy bothering his 3rd expo went onto his main base to finish the game because i figured he must not have anything in his base. 10 banshees are super expensive.. haha

before he gg-ed, he nuked my 4th expo again, my cc was still alive though since i upgraded it to planetary fort.

the game went on for almost an hour... lol it was a great game.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

Yeah wish it weren't like that
It's like that for a reason and it is a vast improvement over what it used to be.

Let's say you have 8 battle cruisers selected and you're going into battle with 8 carriers. In SC/BW, if you had the group selected and you clicked "y" and then a carrier, all 8 would yamoto the single carrier.

Now, you can just click "y" 8 times, each time clicking a different carrier.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I drive a Subata.

^Yes! That too is pretty awesome.

Now I can use my EMP so much better than before.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I need to work on scouting. It's funny when I play some of my friends - we all know what strategies we like to do, so usually it just fails. I played my friend in 1v1 and he said "lemme try something different" and he chose Zerg, but when I was at his house, I noticed he ALWAYS tries the backdoor nydus... and I shot it down every time.

We all have different playstyles, but I've been playing mainly Terran just cause I didn't play the beta and I'm behind.... just wanna get really comfortable with one race before I go to the next. But most of the time when I lose, it's because of these factors....

-I try and turtle too much and don't build enough units
-I don't harass or pressure the other player enough (Thor + medivac harass is awesome if you can get it out quickly btw)
-Bad timing/not enough defense for expansion
-I didn't scout, so my army got countered hard
-All of the above

Also, a tip for T v P - get Ghosts. If you're going mass bio, run the ghosts a little ahead of your army and EMP shockwave high temps before they can storm the shit out of your marines. Another weird thing I noticed, at least in campaign is that if you queue up snipe with (hold) shift + R click click click, my ghosts won't do it right away unless I put them in hold fire mode first. Is this just a bug in a mission, or is that how it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5dNvSmlJE8

one last thing... campaign on brutal sucks on one of the later final missions where you have to hold out "in the future" I came 2-3 kills away from winning several times, so annoying
Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So I just placed into the Gold league after my first 5 qualifying matches, I guess I skipped Silver.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
By the way my name is Stephen player code 530, someone add me! lol

I want to play with you guys and see how skilled you all are.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Eoanou
By the way my name is Stephen player code 530, someone add me! lol

I want to play with you guys and see how skilled you all are.
sure I'll add you. But tomorrow or whenever I get on. I'm not good lol. I think I'm the only bronze here haha.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,944 Likes on 14,059 Posts
I'll admit it, still have not installed it.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I drive a Subata.

Dumcha tsk tsk
Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
stopped playing SC2.... lol
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I drive a Subata.

you suck josh