Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

GT4: Official Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,876 Likes on 5,516 Posts
Ok I put GT4 in (after a good break of about a week or so) - and tried this mission again - now maybe I can help you better. You probably already know most of this (I mean after all, you beat the blasted NY race) - but maybe you might find something useful.

For the 3-lap mission races, it helps to set goals along the way - reaching each of these goals will help you win the mission, step-by-step:

1) pass the 5th place car before you reach the corkscrew on the first lap
2) pass 4th place right around the last turn before the main straight
3) pass 3rd place on the 2nd lap, before you reach the corkscrew
4) pass 2nd place on or around the front straight at the end of lap 2
5) you should pass 1st place at any of the last 3 turns of the final lap

Here is a turn-by-turn analysis:

- turn 1 is a double-apex. Meaning, it is actually 2 turns, and should be treated that way. Brake hard and nail the first apex, go out, and you are at the mid-point of the whole turn. Nail the 2nd apex, drift out again, and you are out of the whole turn. You have to do it this way to get the fastest time through there. If you just drive through as if it was one apex, your exit speed will suffer. A good way to judge this is to hug the road where you see the first set of red rumble strips, you should start coming out to the right side of the track as they are ending - then turn back in towards the next set of red rumble strips, and hug them. Then come out towards the right-side at the exit of the 2nd turn of the double-apex.

- ok this is going to sound like a broken record. The key to the 3rd turn is correct entry, apex, and exit speed. Hug the rumble strips on entry, maintain speed, and accelerate out. You should be doing about 100 mph coming out of this turn.

- turn 4 is a milder version of turn 3, as you know. Treat it as such.

- turn 5 is another one you have to nail. did I already say that. When you get the entrance, apex and exit down for this track, you can really feel it. After braking hard, it should be smooth delivery of power throughout the turn.

- turn 6 - the gradual left-hander before the corkscrew - you can go in hot and brake about 1/4 of the way in, and then drift out to the right-side coming out of the turn - this maximizes your speed through that turn. You can carry a lot of speed through this turn if you drift it a little. By drift I don't mean going sideways, I mean hearing the tires screeching as you are in the middle of the turn, at full throttle. Not the true definition of "drifting".

- on the turn after the corkscrew, steer with the throttle - aim for the apex and then reduce/increase throttle as needed. If you do it right, the car will glide through that turn effortlessly. You can also carry a surprising amount of speed through this turn, right around ~100 mph

- the 2nd to last turn is also right around ~100 mph

- the last turn - you MUST nail. Brake hard, hit the rumble strips, and come out at full throttle, focus on exit speed. again.

Really focus on your apex's and exit speeds. The AI cars suck at the apex's and come out of turns quite slow, in comparison to what you can do in your car. It's better to brake early and nail the apex and get the exit speed, than to come in hot, jam on the brakes, and then try to negotiate the turn. Brake before the turn and nail the apex and get back on the gas as soon as you can - so you start accelerating. You will notice if you get back on the gas and you have the wheel cut a certain amount, the car will not accelerate, it will just kind of drift - once you straighten the car out, it will start accelerating - this is kind of hard to explain in words. You can tell by the sound of the rev's. So you need to straighten it out as soon as you can, so you start accelerating. Hope that helped.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Senior Moderator

this is one of the sub-5 minute peeps @ GTplanet.

yeah.

4:53.148 @ the Ring, Minolta Toyota...

this is crazy. don't know how long the video will be up.

http://homepage.mac.com/pegasusrjf/Minolta_4-53-148.mov

honestly it looks like the video is playing at like 2x speed - except, it's not.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:10 AM
Mile High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a 7.854 0-400 time.

Subaru WRX STi Spec C
Fully modded
max spring rate
lowered to the max
max bound and rebound
max downforce
2.500 final gear ratio
100 shot of NO2

Old 04-13-2005, 03:50 AM

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,990 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy88

Subaru WRX STi Spec C
Fully modded
max spring rate
lowered to the max
max bound and rebound
max downforce
2.500 final gear ratio
100 shot of NO2

Old 04-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

wow....... crazy indeed.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,314 Likes on 967 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
Ok I put GT4 in (after a good break of about a week or so) - and tried this mission again - now maybe I can help you better. You probably already know most of this (I mean after all, you beat the blasted NY race) - but maybe you might find something useful.

For the 3-lap mission races, it helps to set goals along the way - reaching each of these goals will help you win the mission, step-by-step:

1) pass the 5th place car before you reach the corkscrew on the first lap
2) pass 4th place right around the last turn before the main straight
3) pass 3rd place on the 2nd lap, before you reach the corkscrew
4) pass 2nd place on or around the front straight at the end of lap 2
5) you should pass 1st place at any of the last 3 turns of the final lap

Here is a turn-by-turn analysis:

- turn 1 is a double-apex. Meaning, it is actually 2 turns, and should be treated that way. Brake hard and nail the first apex, go out, and you are at the mid-point of the whole turn. Nail the 2nd apex, drift out again, and you are out of the whole turn. You have to do it this way to get the fastest time through there. If you just drive through as if it was one apex, your exit speed will suffer. A good way to judge this is to hug the road where you see the first set of red rumble strips, you should start coming out to the right side of the track as they are ending - then turn back in towards the next set of red rumble strips, and hug them. Then come out towards the right-side at the exit of the 2nd turn of the double-apex.

- ok this is going to sound like a broken record. The key to the 3rd turn is correct entry, apex, and exit speed. Hug the rumble strips on entry, maintain speed, and accelerate out. You should be doing about 100 mph coming out of this turn.

- turn 4 is a milder version of turn 3, as you know. Treat it as such.

- turn 5 is another one you have to nail. did I already say that. When you get the entrance, apex and exit down for this track, you can really feel it. After braking hard, it should be smooth delivery of power throughout the turn.

- turn 6 - the gradual left-hander before the corkscrew - you can go in hot and brake about 1/4 of the way in, and then drift out to the right-side coming out of the turn - this maximizes your speed through that turn. You can carry a lot of speed through this turn if you drift it a little. By drift I don't mean going sideways, I mean hearing the tires screeching as you are in the middle of the turn, at full throttle. Not the true definition of "drifting".

- on the turn after the corkscrew, steer with the throttle - aim for the apex and then reduce/increase throttle as needed. If you do it right, the car will glide through that turn effortlessly. You can also carry a surprising amount of speed through this turn, right around ~100 mph

- the 2nd to last turn is also right around ~100 mph

- the last turn - you MUST nail. Brake hard, hit the rumble strips, and come out at full throttle, focus on exit speed. again.

Really focus on your apex's and exit speeds. The AI cars suck at the apex's and come out of turns quite slow, in comparison to what you can do in your car. It's better to brake early and nail the apex and get the exit speed, than to come in hot, jam on the brakes, and then try to negotiate the turn. Brake before the turn and nail the apex and get back on the gas as soon as you can - so you start accelerating. You will notice if you get back on the gas and you have the wheel cut a certain amount, the car will not accelerate, it will just kind of drift - once you straighten the car out, it will start accelerating - this is kind of hard to explain in words. You can tell by the sound of the rev's. So you need to straighten it out as soon as you can, so you start accelerating. Hope that helped.
Thank you for the breakdown.

On Turn 3 do you downshift to 2nd? What about the first turn after the corkscrew. The car recommends 3rd which I think is correct. I'm assuming you downshift on the second to last turn which is a right turn.

Let me know if I can help with the 2000GT race.

Is that a 7.8 1/4 mile??? Wow that's fast. I haven't messed with 1/4 mile yet. Almost time to buy the Black Team.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy88

Subaru WRX STi Spec C
Fully modded
max spring rate
lowered to the max
max bound and rebound
max downforce
2.500 final gear ratio
100 shot of NO2

damn

best i did was a 8.794...maybe i need to adjust some things..but a whole second?!?!??!
Old 04-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
Thank you for the breakdown.

On Turn 3 do you downshift to 2nd? What about the first turn after the corkscrew. The car recommends 3rd which I think is correct. I'm assuming you downshift on the second to last turn which is a right turn.

Let me know if I can help with the 2000GT race.

Is that a 7.8 1/4 mile??? Wow that's fast. I haven't messed with 1/4 mile yet. Almost time to buy the Black Team.
yeah you downshift for turn 3. I don't remember what gear after the corkscrew. Yeah downshift on 2nd to last turn. Honestly I would advise to not pay too much attention to the recommended gears when going into turns. You can go faster if you keep practicing the tracks and cars, and not necessarily go by when the game tells you you should be braking, and what gear you should be in. I can almost guarantee you - it's not going to be the fastest you can go.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:39 PM

yeah you downshift for turn 3. I don't remember what gear after the corkscrew. Yeah downshift on 2nd to last turn. Honestly I would advise to not pay too much attention to the recommended gears when going into turns. You can go faster if you keep practicing the tracks and cars, and not necessarily go by when the game tells you you should be braking, and what gear you should be in. I can almost guarantee you - it's not going to be the fastest you can go.
most of the time when when i slam on the brakes when the comp tells me i should start downshifting.. im going too fast and slam into the wall...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:40 PM

hm... im thinking of returning my wheel dont really have the room in my living room to set it up on a desk or table in front of the TV (and the wheel cant attach to my coffee table )
Old 04-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Team Owner

I usually don't by the computer. They change gears on you too quick. Besides I've playing this game too long to not know what gear to use. It does help when I forget a turn.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

I usually don't by the computer. They change gears on you too quick. Besides I've playing this game too long to not know what gear to use. It does help when I forget a turn.
definitely. esp @ the Ring - but even @ the Ring - some of the downshift and braking markers are plain wrong.... I mean, the ones that flash and tell you to downshift.

Last edited by srika; 04-13-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

I FUCKING HATE the Minolta. It sucks for the Pro Championship. That is all. :angry::FUCKMINOLTA:
Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

damn dude... :relax:
Old 04-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Team Owner

I killed the first 2 races easy. Tokyo and Motegi Speedway. But in Hong Kong I was like 40 seconds off of first and nowhere near last. This car doesn't turn for shit. I use the super hard (the ones that last longer, could be soft) tires. I set the camber for more steering. Hardly no Oversteer ASM. This car with the big ass wheels in the back just doesn't turn. I got 70 more days until the 787B so I'll just wait for that one. I already got near 7mill so I'll be okay.

I almost got the Viper on Mission 12. Missed by a half second. Your tips seemed to help as I shaved off 2.5 seconds. Now I gotta find one more .5 sec. I can't quite pass the Vetter before Lap 2 ends so I think my consistency in Lap 2 is not up to Lap 1 standards. I wonder if the tire wear occurs even though there's no meter. The car seems to lose control later in the race.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:46 AM
Australian Mod Flixvault

Gt4

Hello everyone... This is my first post on this Forum.

I hate driving mission's, there the only things stoping me from getting 100%. I have one more event to complete before I get the Tank car, the Toyota 2000GT race. I'm better driving with faster cars.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:26 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
I killed the first 2 races easy. Tokyo and Motegi Speedway. But in Hong Kong I was like 40 seconds off of first and nowhere near last. This car doesn't turn for shit. I use the super hard (the ones that last longer, could be soft) tires. I set the camber for more steering. Hardly no Oversteer ASM. This car with the big ass wheels in the back just doesn't turn. I got 70 more days until the 787B so I'll just wait for that one. I already got near 7mill so I'll be okay.
I used Minolta to win all 10 races.

For HK, you need the R3/R1 mix for sure, so you can actually turn on this track.

-always qualify before you begin the race
-pit in lap 9 or 10
-brake early

That should do it.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:12 AM
Australian Mod Flixvault

Just get the Forumla 1 car... then everything is easy! Complete the the Nurb ring 24 hour race using B-Spec with any fast car and it's an easy win (just takes a while).
Old 04-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Team Owner

Thanks for the tips guys. This game just frustrates sometimes. I tried doing the Ring with the Minolta but of course my B-Spec can't hang yet. I'll try that tire combo. I know you've been saying it for weeks. I should've qualified but I was lazy. I really don't need to pit but I'm assuming with that tire combo I will. I'll do it for you guys!!!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this is my life when it comes to completion:

I can't win the Formula GT series. I come in 3rd overall (and have 3 times now). What ends up happening is that I win half the races and get killed in the others. Consistency really helps, but the guys that finish 2nd and 3rd in every race end up taking the cup. I fear rolling up my sleeves and doing it A-spec, being that the races are VERY long. I've got way more than 7000 B-spec points and am at 60% complete on the game itself. Anyone acutally won this series that may have some settings that can help? This thing takes a full day to do (and that's in B-spec with the x3 setting running).

All I have left in the game is the final half of the Le Mans endurance race, the Formula GT series, and a bunch of the 1-make races.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Killer_Taxi

I hate driving mission's, there the only things stoping me from getting 100%. I have one more event to complete before I get the Tank car, the Toyota 2000GT race. I'm better driving with faster cars.
welcome aboard? damn you are almost at 100%... :insane: - I think those will be the races holding me back from 100% also.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

I almost got the Viper on Mission 12. Missed by a half second. Your tips seemed to help as I shaved off 2.5 seconds. Now I gotta find one more .5 sec. I can't quite pass the Vetter before Lap 2 ends so I think my consistency in Lap 2 is not up to Lap 1 standards. I wonder if the tire wear occurs even though there's no meter. The car seems to lose control later in the race.
I experienced similar frustrations with the Minolta in Bspec mode... I think I solved it by using medium tires in front, hard in back (not the hardest, one step up). Some of the races are just hard to win with Bspec. I think I even remember stepping in with Aspec mode and trying, it kinda helped but the car was still hard to drive at Hong Kong - god I hate that track.

Good to hear you are progressing with Mission 12. I don't think there is any tire wear in those races - I always found the handling to be consistent throughout all 3 laps - I think you are getting tired and need to focus for all 3 laps :P
Old 04-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,917 Likes on 14,038 Posts

Welcome, KT...

The AZ addiction will slowly seep into your system...you are doomed...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
So this is my life when it comes to completion:

I can't win the Formula GT series. I come in 3rd overall (and have 3 times now). What ends up happening is that I win half the races and get killed in the others. Consistency really helps, but the guys that finish 2nd and 3rd in every race end up taking the cup. I fear rolling up my sleeves and doing it A-spec, being that the races are VERY long. I've got way more than 7000 B-spec points and am at 60% complete on the game itself. Anyone acutally won this series that may have some settings that can help? This thing takes a full day to do (and that's in B-spec with the x3 setting running).

All I have left in the game is the final half of the Le Mans endurance race, the Formula GT series, and a bunch of the 1-make races.

Thanks in advance.
I'm convinced you can't win the Formula GT race in full Bspec mode. Even with Bspec mode, you have to babysit each and every race. The competition is just too even (in Bspec mode).

You need to run about 20% of a few of the races in Aspec mode, in order to win. What I found is that in Aspec mode, I'm able to lap the F1 cars. Surprisingly quickly. Of course, this means you need to know all those tracks too because you're doing the driving. But what I did was, when I notice I'm losing bad, at the next pit, I switch to Aspec, and drive about 20-30 laps myself. I put about a lap on first place. Then at the next pit, I switch back to Bspec. Repeat as needed.

I finished first in 8 or 9 of the 15 races, and 2nd or 3rd in 2 or 3 more of the races. I only finished 11 of the 15 races - that was enough to secure 1st place in the championship. I will be going back and completing the other 4 races, but I was just in a hurry to get the Sauber so once I got that, I kinda set the Formula series to rest. Will do that later.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

welcome aboard? damn you are almost at 100%... :insane: - I think those will be the races holding me back from 100% also.
sorry, don't know why I wrote "welcome aboard?" - I meant to write "welcome aboard!!"
Old 04-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Welcome, KT...

yes..... resistance is..... futile.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Australian Mod Flixvault

I'm on 96.7% at the moment, so if you need help with the game I should be able to help you.

I final got the Tank car... it's weird.

With the Formula GT series, what I did was start off in A-spec till I got a good lead, then I switched it to B-Spec to finish it off. I won all the races except the Nurb ring by using this technique.

With the oval track (forgot the name) do that race just using A-spec, and only pit in when your right tyres start to go bad. You can have your left tyres go as red as they can and you will still able to drive very easily with no dramas. By doing this the other cars will pit much more often then you that will give you a huge lead.

Just one more tip... Save your game after every well-finished race, just in case you stuff up the next race and you will be able to try it again by resetting your PS2.

I just would like to know... Am I the only Australian on this site?

Last edited by Killer_Taxi; 04-14-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Australian Mod Flixvault

Originally Posted by Yumchah
That's fine... this looks like a very nice forum with very nice people.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,917 Likes on 14,038 Posts
That's fine... this looks like a very nice forum with very nice people.
Nice? Psh...we're all elitist bastards over here...Lookit the people we drove away!
Old 04-14-2005, 08:47 PM
MSZ
Lola

Am I the only Australian on this site?
There are few other Aussies here I think...since you guys have RL and TSX in your country too. (Honda Legend and Honda Accord Euro)
Old 04-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Well I finally got Mission 12. Still took me a bunch of times. Now 13 is really really really hard. I hate French cars.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:32 PM
MSZ
Lola

Anyone got the Corvette C2 Race Car yet?

I won one last night, and I found it highly undriveable even with all kinds of driving aids.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Australian Mod Flixvault

I'm on 96.7% at the moment
Make that 97.1%... I'm weird.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ no.... you're insane.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Australian Mod Flixvault

Lol.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:49 PM
MSZ
Lola

^^^ no.... you're insane.
Insane is an understatment...

The Aussie version came out just a month ago. :surrender
Old 04-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Australian Mod Flixvault

Originally Posted by MSZ
There are few other Aussies here I think...since you guys have RL and TSX in your country too. (Honda Legend and Honda Accord Euro)
I guess... but we don't have the Acura badge here.

Go to www.honda.com.au if you want... to see what Honda's we get here in Australia.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Australian Mod Flixvault

Originally Posted by MSZ
Insane is an understatment...

The Aussie version came out just a month ago. :surrender
10th of March I think.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Australian Mod Flixvault

Someone help me... Where can I get a Daihatsu Midget ll D-type from?!?!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
MSZ
Lola

I guess... but we don't have the Acura badge here.

Go to www.honda.com.au if you want... to see what Honda's we get here in Australia.
Yea I knew that. Thats why I mentioned Accord Euro and Legend in my post.

Only USA, Canada and Hong Kong got Acuras.

Quick Reply: GT4: Official Thread