Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Best Racing Simulator Game for PC?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Best Racing Simulator Game for PC?

Hey guys,

I am not really a gamer but I want to try out a racing game that is realistic..I'm not talking about those games where you can do a hair pin going 100kmph. Anyways, just wondering if I can get some insight into whats good out there. I don't have a steering wheel set but if I find a good game I may buy one to enhance my experience haha (hook up my comp to the TV!)

If anyone knows of any good steering wheel sets that come with a clutch pedal too please let me know! Thanks in advance guys
Old 10-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Grid is an awesome realistic racing game. the damage and the feedback of the controls.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Originally Posted by VoLLy
Grid is an awesome realistic racing game. the damage and the feedback of the controls.
kk ill check it out.

I have also now learned that the logitech G25 is probably the nicest steering wheel kit out there...costs over $200 though lol
Old 10-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
mehh, I have Grid on PC and i just use the ol fashion keyboard.

but a steering set would be fun also!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You want rFactor from Image Space Incorporated (ISI). $40 buys you the base game which you can then go to town with. rFactor was developed from the ground up as being an open development platform for modders. Because of this, there is probably over two hundred free add-ons available, both cars and tracks. In actuality, the "mods" are really the game. What you're paying for is essentially just the game engine.

Now, since all of these mods are free the quality can vary. But there are many that have been produced by organized development teams that are excellent. Also, if you want the latest graphical pizazz, you're not going to get it here since rFactor is a DirectX 9 game that is nearly four years old now. That said, the well developed cars and tracks can still be quite pretty. See image links below. Graphics aside, the driving experience in some of the rFactor mods can be extraordinarily satisfying once you start getting a feel for the cars and pushing them towards their limits.

Lastly, I should let you know that rFactor 2 is supposedly due out sometime in 2010 but no one know when. My advice would be to spring for the $40 now if you’re at all interested. With all the content out there, there’s easily a year’s worth of stuff to occupy your time even if rFactor2 doesn’t come out until late in 2010.

As for the wheel/pedal hardware, I couldn’t tell you. I sprang for an uber high end setup a few years ago and stopped paying attention to the gear that’s offered in the realm of sanity. You may want to check out the “Hardware Vendors” forum on Race Sim Central (link below).

rFactor official site: http://www.rfactor.net/
rFactor Central (lots and lots of free mods): http://www.rfactorcentral.com/
Race Sim Central forums: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/

CTDP F1 2005 Mod (free) on ISI’s Montreal and Mills Metropark (included in the base game)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...m29/rF-F1f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...m29/rF-F1c.jpg
Old 10-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Vancouver B.C.

thanks for all the info Billiam; it is muchly appreciated
Old 10-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

If you take the plunge with rFactor, feel free to PM me or post here if you want some recommendations for mods.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Hey Billiam, I'll take you up on the offer for recommendations. I got RFactor a few months ago but never had the chance to really ''use'' it. I played the base a few times and its entertaining but would like to upgrade to something more, complete.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Here's what comes to mind after thinking about it for a while....

Open Wheel Mods
F1 1979 by Grand Prix Classics
CART 1995 by IDT
CARTfactor by Racing Line Developments (1998 CART season)
F1 2006 by CTDP

Sports/Touring Car Mods
Historic GT and Touring Cars by HisotrX (requires that you own a copy of old “GT Legends” game)
1970 World Sportscar Championship by CSGT
Megane Trophy by RSDG
V8Factor by Team ORSM (2006? Australian V8 Supercar Series)
Endurance Series by Enduracers (2006 – 2008 ALMS/LMS)

Other official track offerings from ISI.
I don’t remember what’s already included in the game and what you have to download.

Northamptonshire (aka Silverstone, 3 layouts)
Brianza (aka Monza, 4 or 5 layouts including old oval)
Montreal (Circuit Gilles Villeneuve)
Leinz Festival of Speed (4 or 5 layouts)
Neuburg (modern F1 track)

“Showpiece” Tracks
LeMans by VirtuaLM (1977 & 1979 layouts w/ full Mulsanne)
Mid-Ohio by VirtuaLM
Rouen-Les-Essarts by VirtuaLM/Elwood/Madhorse
Birmingham Motorplex by Scott Juliano
GP-200 International by Madcowie
Suzuka 2008 by Raceking (aka R.K. Tracks 1.20)
Initial D by Raceking
Eastern Creek Laser by Piddy (not terribly fun to drive but amazingly detailed track surface)
Vanport International Raceway by Global Motorsport Technology (aka Portland, same impression as Eastern Creek)

Other Tracks Worth Mentioning
Long Beach 2007 by IDT
Mount Panorama (aka Bathurst) by ????
Indianapolis by RacerAlex (includes GP & oval)
Kyalami from the 1979 F1 mod (graphically crude, but great to drive)
Arctic Circle Raceway (aka Mo I Rana, same impression as ’79 Kyalami)
All the tracks associated with the F1 1988 mod are decent.
Road America/Elkhart Lake (There are two versions floating around with these two different names. One is decent, one is bad.)

And to answer the obligatory question before it's asked....
There are a couple of different versions of the Nordschleife floating around. I don't remember which one I have or which one is supposed to be better.

If you get LeMans from VLM, be sure to race it at times other than mid-day. The way the lighting changes over time is done really well. It's just a great experience racing out of the darkness and into dawn or evening into darkness. Just run a 6-8 lap race with the start time set for like 4am or 4pm and time acceleration set to 10x.

Last edited by Billiam; 10-20-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Wow, thanks Billiam. This should last me quite a few months if not years. The V8 Supercars and ALMS/LMS sound like they will be the first to get action.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ttk5
kk ill check it out.

I have also now learned that the logitech G25 is probably the nicest steering wheel kit out there...costs over $200 though lol
I am very happy with my Driving force Pro on the PC.
It's ~ $100. It works with PS3/PS2 also, but not xbox 360. (boo)

Grid is lots and lots of fun but I don't think it's particularly realistic. Or at least I do very well on it, and I still get totally owned on more realistic games like say the Simbin games. It's more realistic than most arcade racers though. A good cheap and realistic title would be GTR Evolution.

- Frank