Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

360, PS3: Grand Theft Auto IV **Tops $500 Million in first week (page 14)**

Old 08-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont like the trailers...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes, he did that

Originally Posted by mltk53
Care to elaborate?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mltk53
well said
Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Here is a preview article. Sounds great

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbo...s/164988.shtml
Old 02-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver™
Here is a preview article. Sounds great

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbo...s/164988.shtml
I need to reserve my copy ASAP.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Link's blocked at work for me, but I'm sure it is great...it's GTA. I put my deposit down a month ago when I bought my PS3.

PS: if anybody wants to copy and paste that preview article, please feel free
Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Man, that game looks good....
Old 02-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
here you go
Preview: Massive Grand Theft Auto IV Blowout!
Preview by Chris Morell | 02/28/2008

Playing a Grand Theft Auto game before release is almost unheard of-Rockstar protects it babies closely. So you can imagine how it felt to dive into Grand Theft Auto IV a full three months before it hits the public. It's like Christmas morning all over again!

Grand Theft Auto IV's goals are quite ambitious. It seeks to redefine open-world gaming and present Grand Theft Auto in the way we've always wanted. We tolerated the flaws of the GTA series-the gritty graphics, the low-res textures, the clunky character models- for so long simply because the core gameplay was that good.

But with GTA IV, it's a whole different ball game. This is the game that GTA fans have been waiting for, not just in terms of densely detailed graphics, but as a complete video-game package. For an hour and a half, we romped through the high-def streets of Liberty City, plowing through police barricades and mowing down scores of lowlifes. Here's how it all went down.

Realistic driving mechanics means that manning the wheel in GTA IV is always a cinematic experience.

Let Me Drive!
With controller in hand, I took a moment to take in the sights and sounds of Liberty City. Passing cars, an occasional horn honk, and some rundown New York-style apartments flesh out the decaying atmosphere as I rotate the camera 360 degrees around Niko. OK, enough of that. Time to see what this baby can do.

It's time for my first carjack. With a quick tap of the Y button, Niko yanks an unsuspecting driver out of his sedan and hops in. While driving, the car handles differently-noticeably heavier and more realistic than past games. It's a satisfying feeling. When I turn around the first corner, the suspension swings subtly to the left, much like a car in real life. What's more, GTA IV seems to be custom-made for stunt drivers. By holding the B button, you can flip between slick cinematic camera angles, from wheel-cams to long zoom shots. Clicking the left thumbstick triggers a slow-motion camera effect, perfect for reveling in hairpin 90 degree turns and devastating collisions. In-vehicle shooting is vastly better, too: you can aim in any direction, making drive-by shootings far more accurate and effective.

After five minutes of knocking down street lamps amidst a spray of sparks, it was time to accept a mission. The handy in-car GPS led me to a nearby meet-up. In this instance, I was watching over a deal that quickly heads south. Pulling out a standard 9mm pistol, I tried out the new combat and targeting system for the first time. I crouched (boosting my accuracy) and pulled the left trigger, which locked onto a nearby enemy. A few yanks of the right trigger and the baddie went down for good.

With two remaining foes, I played around with the precision-aiming control via the right analog stick. Once locked on, a slight vertical movement with the stick keys you in for a head shot, and one pull of the trigger dropped him to the ground. The third enemy collapsed after I fired a shot to his leg, and then I finished him off as he tried to crawl for safety. Three scum bags down, none to go.

The GTA Combat You've Always Wanted
Often criticized for its awkward performance in past games, GTA IV makes some serious strides in its combat interface. Taking subtle cues from games like Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas, Niko has a versatile cover system at his disposal. It's a remarkably fluid way to hide behind low walls, couches, and boxes, and Niko will dramatically slide into position if you have a running start. A quick button-tap latches Niko onto a nearby wall. Peering out to the left, you can lock onto an enemy and pull the left trigger to pop out, zoom in a bit further with a click of the right analog stick, and unloaded a burst of Uzi fire. The effect is surprisingly dramatic, with the roaring sound of gunfire given the shooting mechanic a meatier, more substantial feel. There's still one thug left standing, so I took him out with a new blind-fire option. Unlike Gears and Vegas, GTA IV's blind fire mode is actually helpful-the bullet spread is loose, but it's usually enough to safely drop a target.

GTA IV's combat is far more versatile and realistic than before, lending some of the firefights an almost epic quality. Take the next mission, where I led Niko to a high-rise building to get a bird's-eye view of a construction area. Using the sniper rifle, I made quick work of a few "workers," then headed down to street level to finish off the rest of the crew. The sniping controls will seem familiar to GTA: San Andreas players, but what happened next was far more impressive. On the ground, under fire from the crooked construction workers, I dashed nimbly from cover to cover, cooking grenades, popping foes with shotgun shells, and even taking down a hovering chopper with the newly redesigned rocket launcher. Once the carnage was over, the ground was littered with glowing, color-coded items representing cash, health, and ammo.

Taking it All In
There's nothing like a stroll through Liberty City, and even a quick hour and a half of rummaging through the city was more than enough time to get hooked. There's so much more to the game than I could possibly even attempt to describe here, but rest assured that everything is as you might expect it to be in the evolution of GTA. Next month, you'll see for yourself exactly what we're talking about.

GAMEPRO'S PREDICTION:
Grand Theft Auto IV will be the biggest game of 2008.

1. Huge multiplayer focus. Details are locked up in camp Rockstar, but we suspect multiplayer will be bigger and better than the tacked-on modes found in the PSP games.

2. Downloadable content is already under way. Rockstar's promised DLC for the Xbox 360 will help the game grow through 2008 and beyond. No word on PS3 DLC yet, but we're betting on it.

Like it's predecessors, GTA IV includes a whole host of weapons you can swap out at any time. We played with multiple SMGs, shotguns, and assault rifles, and they each had their own unique weight and feel.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Thank you, sir.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Damn, the graphics look good. I love the details in the background.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The online aspect will put this game on a whole new level
Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Sweet................
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Edge Magazine has a new 16-page article on the Grand Theft Auto series, with a large chunk of it devoted to GTA IV. There are at least 6 new screenshots, in addition to an exclusive interview with Sam Houser. Here are some of the points worth mentioning:

* In GTA IV there are strip joints and, more unexpectedly, comedy clubs, which have been incorporated in a manner that is "enough to make your head spin." Edge aren't allowed to say anything else about it at this time.
* Jets and planes fly through the airport, and have visible pilots inside them. The tester drove alongside a jet, only to have a 4-star wanted level appear!
* One encounter face-to-face with a cop got the response: "I'm a cop... and you're a dickhead!"
* On the subject of multiplayer... Houser wasn't able to go into much detail, but he did mention being able to get together online in the game with no other goal other than to use it as a meeting place: "I'll meet you in a car and we'll hang and just drive and listen to music, chilling in the car, with your 3D model sat next to me," he says.
* The car paint jobs are noticable from newer cars being gleaming and spotless, to old cars being rusted and dull.
* Bulletholes and dirt are permanent on cars.
* Interior walls can be greatly damaged, "ripping chunks out of the plaster with gunfire."

http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php
Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
can't wait!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

I don't forsee getting much sleep at the end of April/beginning of May.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
* In GTA IV there are strip joints and, more unexpectedly, comedy clubs, which have been incorporated in a manner that is "enough to make your head spin." Edge aren't allowed to say anything else about it at this time.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, he did that

^^^
Virtual Blue Balls are an added feature.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Wo! This is just another great game to be released next month. Looking forward to this, GT5 and especially R6V2!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:57 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Oh yeah. I meant R6V2 cones out a week from today.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

can't wait!

there's no definitive word on when GT5 is coming out, right?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

For the time being, GT5 Prologue is what will be released next month on the 16th.
Not sure about GT5 though.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap
Old 03-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

EA's bid for Take Two turns hostile

Video game firm Electronic Arts (EA) has made a hostile $2bn (Ł1bn) bid for Take-Two Interactive Software, which publishes Grand Theft Auto.

EA took the offer directly to shareholders after Take-Two rejected its offer last month.

Take-Two said it would talk to EA after 29 April, when Grand Theft Auto IV is released. It also said EA was trying to take advantage of its low share price.

But John Riccitiello, chief executive of EA, said the offer was not hostile.

"This is an incredibly friendly proposition: we're offering a premium of over 60% of what [stock] was trading at before our offer," he told the BBC.

"I think we're the best possible home for their creative organisations; frankly, we're big fans."

EA's offer expires at midnight on 11 April, which is the day after Take-Two's annual shareholders' meeting.

EA's boss warned that delaying the deal might prevent it going ahead.

"The longer this takes to get done, the less valuable the transaction is to us and our ability to pay $26 declines," he said.

The Grand Theft Auto games have been extremely successful but have been criticised for their violent content.

On Tuesday, Take-Two raised its profit forecasts for the year on the basis of better-than-expected orders for its new game.

The deal would be the latest round of consolidation in the industry, following Activision's $18bn acquisition of the gaming unit of France's Vivendi, which was announced in November
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7294057.stm
Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

EA needs to give it up or wait like they were told. Of course, I bet the stock jumps after GTA4 comes out.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It seems our neighbors to the east -- PSM Spain -- got their paws on the title's 15 multiplayer modes and are ready to tell all. According to a translation on GTA4.net, online supports 16 players each with their own customized character -- race, sex, hair and clothing are up for grabs.

The article lists all of the game's modes -- we've got them below as well -- but goes into a bit of general detail on the ones it was able to play. Race and GTA Race lets the host choose which vehicles can be used and how many laps can be played; Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch has the host set the amount of pedestrians, traffic and police along with what weapons will be available; Mafia Work and Team Mafia Work cast you as one of Kenny Petrovic's men and assigns you hits to carry out before your opponent can; a single-player mission titled Hangman's NOOSE allows you to play with a friend as you move a mobster that's being pursued by SWAT agents; and finally, a team of police is charged with stopping a team of criminals in Cops N Crooks.

The translation says that all of these missions were played on the same map that is used in Niko's single-player adventure, but Rockstar Games has yet to officially respond to IGN on this article.

Want more in-depth details on GTA IV's multiplayer? Keep it here on IGN for updates as they arrive. Until then, check out PSM Spain's list of multiplayer modes.

Hangmans NOOSE
Car Jack City
Bomb da Base
Bomb da Base II
Mafia Work
Team Mafia Work
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Turf War
Cops N Crooks
Race
GTA Race
Deal Breaker
Free Mode
Car Jack City

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/859/859654p1.html
Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i need it now!!!

oh dear lord, when this game comes out i'll be a hermit for a while... goodbye job/girlfriend/school
Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Just read a write-up based on two hours of playing the actual game in Game Informer last night...it sounds like it's going to be amazing. They had tons of screen shots, too.

BC2G - I'm with you...I've already told people don't bother calling, coming by, etc. I wonder how work will be after three days with only a few hours of sleep each night?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
i've reserved mine at the local blockbuster, can't wait.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Pro

Im not gettin it until all finals are finished!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm trying to decide if I should bother with a pre-order online which means I won't get it till a couple later days, or if I should risk it and try to get buy it the day it comes out.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxgoogs
Im not gettin it until all finals are finished!
luckily for me i just finished my finals
Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by uzzmaan
I'm trying to decide if I should bother with a pre-order online which means I won't get it till a couple later days, or if I should risk it and try to get buy it the day it comes out.
Preorder at the store and pick it up the day it comes out. Most games you can just walk in a pick up on release day; this will not be one of them.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Walmart at midnight 5 mins from my house
Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG Im going to have no life when this game comes out.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang it doesnt come out for computer. I love adding skins of Lambos, Ferraris, Merc, ect. I dunno if you can do that with xbox
Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Main Map
http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mapqn1.jpg

Subway
http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=subwayrn2.jpg

Another Subway shot
http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?i...idewaysfz8.jpg

Sights
http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sights1fk8.jpg

More Sights
http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sights2rm7.jpg

Controls (PS3)
http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ontrolsrw3.jpg
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
holy crap there maps are getting bigger and bigger.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Cant wait!!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

can't wait! the map is huge!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Suppossedly a bunch of in game pics:

http://kotaku.com/photogallery/gtamp/

Quick Reply: 360, PS3: Grand Theft Auto IV **Tops $500 Million in first week (page 14)**