When your car get's damaged...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009 | 12:52 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

When your car get's damaged...

Other than get pissed and take revenge on whoever did it, what do you feel like doing when someone damages your car?

I've had my '04 TL since March of '04 and it's been a great car. All of the current negatives about it are because of external forces:
1. got t-boned 3 years ago (repaired)
2. got shot at with a BB gun - missed the passenger window by less than 1/2" and just dented the window frame.
3. someone keyed the trunk
4. Tint installers screwed up my driver door pannel, but I didn't realize it until too late
5. yesterday someone backed into my rear bumper, effing up the paint (scratch, cracked and chipped), tweaking the bumper and denting the trunk.

I was planning on driving the TL til it fell apart - but only if it was a natural process. Now I'm torn between just not caring about the car and just keep driving it as is, fixing it and worrying about it still or getting a new car and really being worried about it.

More than likely it will be option 1 or 2, since I really like not having a car payment. The other question is whether or not to get insurance involved.

FWIW, it's an auto, non-nav that is basically stock - other than tint and rear sway bar.

Thoughts? What would you do?
Old 04-10-2009 | 01:09 PM
Instructor

Id see what insurance has to say and then make my descision. If its only a deductable 3-500$, and it seems worth it to you, then go for it. Personally, I like being seen in clean cars...
Old 04-10-2009 | 01:34 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Unfortunately I know all too much about this subject. A day after buying my Accord with spotless shiny red paint it got keyed across the drivers door. A few months after that an SUV that was parked about 6 inches from my passenger side put a nice ding in the quarter panel. About a year after that it got keyed across the entire passenger side.

Otherwise it's still in very nice condition, but I can't not be pissed off every time I see those flaws. I've continued to do what I wanted with the car, but I will always think it could be better because of the scratches. I'm planning on keeping the car for a very long time, so to me, at this point, I care a little less about it only in the sense of parking it in parking lots. I used to park far away from all other cars but now I just say f it and park as close to where I'm walking to because I figure it can't get any worse than it is already.

Once I get it paid off I'll probably get the dings taken out and have the car repainted, but for now, I live with it. I guess the difference between our situations is I love my car overall. It serves me well. It's quick, it's reliable, it's fuel efficient and it's fun to drive. If you're not happy with your cars features or fun factor, then the combo of that with the other issues would probably make me want to get rid of it and get a new car.
Old 04-10-2009 | 05:01 PM

There is no other option than to get pissed and get revenge on whoever did it.

My old Integra had a bunch of paint imperfections and generally looked like shit. I didn't really care, until I was doing some fun driving and went wide, tracked over a patch of gravel and went sideways into the side of a mountain. I sold it not long after that, but then again it was an old ass car anyways so I didn't have full coverage on it. I can't stand to see my car with flaws on it either, which is why I always park next to islands in the parking lot, only next to nice(ish) cars, etc.

If you don't want a car payment then just fix it until it gets to the point where its not financially wise to keep fixing it (ie the value's down a lot)
Old 04-10-2009 | 05:12 PM
seizure force field!

I don't know how it happened because I was too pissed to ask my brother... Three weekends ago he used my car all weekend. On the following Monday I noticed a dent/scuff at the top of my wheel well as if someone had hit my car while pulling into a parking spot or my brother side swiped something.

On another occasion... I got out of work and I noticed and old POS chevy van parked over her line and INTO my spot and about a foot away from my car on the passenger side (spots were fairly big and I was dead center in my spot). I walk over and sure enough there is a fresh dent on my passenger door. PAINT is still there!!! I swipe the paint and sure enough it matched the POS sitting next to me. I walk into my car, write a letter, put it in her window and deflate both left tires on her van (btw, I know it was a female because of all the stuff in the van).

I know its "just an Accord" and its "just a car," but I try to keep the paint fresh and detailed regularly. It pisses me off that others with POS cars don't give a rats ass about other peoples cars and just fling doors into other cars in parking lots.
Old 04-10-2009 | 07:02 PM
Banned

I think you live in an area with heavy Asian population (either Korean or Chinese). K-town or Rowland/Diamond Bar area?

I'd probably just leave it alone since it will get damaged some more.
Old 04-10-2009 | 07:10 PM
The Third Ball

Got rear-ended in my old CL.

Paid and got the bumper redone...less than a month later someone did the same shit that happened to you. I said F-it.
Old 04-10-2009 | 08:25 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Various things like that happened to each of my last two cars. At some point, I quit caring, and once I quit caring, the only thing I could think about was getting another car.
Old 04-10-2009 | 09:34 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Mongolian
I think you live in an area with heavy Asian population (either Korean or Chinese). K-town or Rowland/Diamond Bar area?

I'd probably just leave it alone since it will get damaged some more.
racist.
Old 04-10-2009 | 09:37 PM
mmmmmm....

I got my car keyed twice really bad on both of my fenders, and got hit and run on rear bumper. I ended up spending over good g to repair all my shit.

f-it and just drive as it as.
Old 04-10-2009 | 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
racist.
I hate my own people when they don't look to back out of parking spaces or when they make right turns...
Old 04-10-2009 | 11:42 PM
mmmmmm....

I'm one of them as well. (Korean)

I understand that Asian women drivers pretty bad drivers, but they are still plenty dumb drivers out there other than Asian people. It is not necessary to point them out... IMO.

I can't stand those dumb drivers. Period. I yell them all the time... just myself in the car, though. No finger pointing or yelling straight at them. I don't feel like dying this early.
Old 04-14-2009 | 10:03 PM
is out, so the

I have a friend who parks beside me everyday. She has a brand new 08 Mazda 3S GT. And when she backs into the parking spot, she always leaves her front wheels turned.

One day I went out to my car and there was a nice, long, black stripe along the side of my front bumper. I left it there and went to park besider her again. Sure enough, the mark is just the right height of her front wheels. I never said anything to her, because the mark came off with some rubbing alcohol.

It would be nothing for her to get in, start the car and hit the gas without realizing her wheels were turned. Then, BAM.
Old 04-14-2009 | 10:20 PM
Team Owner

My passenger side door on my TSX has a new large dent (really big) a few days ago.

From the life of my car to now,

Rear ended (2x)
Backed into the front bumper (2x)
Passenger side Door (door slammed into it x1) (people who can't drive scraping my door x2)

Trust me. I said fuck it a LONG time ago.
Old 04-14-2009 | 10:21 PM
Team Owner

I had my CLs for about 3 months before I got rear-ended. Felt like kicking the crap out of the idiot that hit me. And after I found out he was essentially uninsured, you can just imagine how I felt.

I looked into trading it after it got repaired, but they wouldn't give me anything for it. I ended up keeping it for another 3 years until I traded if for the cars I have now. And even then I got a lot less than it was worth because of the accident.
Old 04-14-2009 | 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I try to keep my daily driver a "10 foot car". At 10 feet away the car looks great. If someone bumps into me and crushes something like my hood. I'll get that fixed (this just happened to me last winter). I'd say keep your TL and drive it into the ground. It's a great looking dependable car. You'll just be going through the same thing all over again if you buy something new.

On a side note, there's this girl I work with that has a 94-96 Impala SS. The car is huge and I can't seem to get away from her. I swear she parks next to me on purpose. She always parks way too close and has nailed my door 3 times last year trying squeeze her skinny ass out of the car.
Old 04-14-2009 | 11:45 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

I try to only worry about the things I can control. My fun in the sun car is my 93 Milano Red delSol that was purchased new. It looks good for its age and the fact that it lives outside and has been hit/repaired twice. There are a few character flaws and usually the paint is just a little oxidized. It has 134,000 miles and is driven 3-5,000 miles/year. My wife drives a Silver 2002 MDX that was tboned/repaired at one year old. It looks and runs @ 90-95% and has ~35,000 miles.

My TL looks just OK with 53,000 miles. It was hit in the rear and repaired last year. It gets a commercial hand wash every 2-3 weeks. My long winded point is they are all daily drivers that have to go out in the world. None of them are perfect and neither am I. All of them are nice looking and running transportation. All paid for and still fun to look at and drive.

If you feel the same way about you TL, fix it and keep it.
Old 04-15-2009 | 12:34 AM
The Third Ball

PS there is a big reason I love my pathy. I just dont give a fuck. It can take a ding or whatever and who cares...more than likely more people will fuck up their owns cars more than they could the pathy.

And when I get my toy car...I'll still drive the pathy 95% of the time when going to most places. Specially places I know the parking eats dick.
Old 04-15-2009 | 09:46 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i got into an accident because i tried to avoid hitting cat and hit a curb instead. i just wanted to take revenge on myself and i kept literally.
Old 04-15-2009 | 10:02 AM
Under construction

I usually take care of all shit that happens to my car. I'm very picky and I can't stand imperfections, if I have to I'll get my insurance involved to get the job done.
Old 04-15-2009 | 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

I can't stand knowing there are flaws on my car. I like to drive nice clean cars.

That being said, I try my hardest to keep it in good condition. But there are some things that just happen and make my life harder, lol. No matter where I park (out in no man's land or up close to a store in a lot), I always seem to get hit or scratched. A lot of new scratches have popped up over the past year or 2 and they are driving me crazy. I just can't understand how some of them happened, they are in such strange places. People must be scraping along my car with a sharp object like a coat button, or metal from a gym bag strap or something. Whatever is happening, it's pissing me off. A couple weekends ago, the kid next door kicked his ball and it went flying into my rear quarter panel as I drove by. Scared the shit out of me, and I think it scratched my bumper, but at least it didn't dent anything.

Plus, I think the dealer put a dent in the front of my car the last time I was there. I didn't notice it until a day or 2 after my appointment, but I couldn't figure out anywhere else it could have happened. I can only see it when the light shines just right on it.

I'm slowly getting to the point of caring a little bit less. I can't control other people's stupidity. The longer I keep caring so much, the shorter my life expectancy becomes. It's just hard NOT to care....
Old 04-15-2009 | 10:15 PM
4th Gear

I know how you feel, I hate it when I wash my car and find new dings and dents.....
Old 04-16-2009 | 09:56 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Various things like that happened to each of my last two cars. At some point, I quit caring, and once I quit caring, the only thing I could think about was getting another car.
^^This is the same boat that I am in. The only time my car really gets washed is when it rains.. Conveniently, it is supposed to rain today..

There is something wrong with the car I have now and it is from the previous owner. I do not care enough anymore to take it in to get fixed. All I keep thinking to myself is "Man, I wish I would have gotten that truck, Fuck me!!"