Well...the S2000 needed more doors, more driven wheels, and a lot more torque...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Pfft... move out of the way grandma

Well...the S2000 needed more doors, more driven wheels, and a lot  more torque...-5nr8s2z.png
Old 06-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I was not hyper miling it either, this was just set cruise and go for ~250 miles.
60 mph... FFS mang.. if you're going to drive 60 you should have gotten the Golf SE.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by TylerT

The Golf R is better in pretty much every conceivable way
Not if you're an ignorant stubborn asshole whose favorite flavor of popsicle is dick
Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Not if you're an ignorant stubborn asshole whose favorite flavor of popsicle is dick
I can see that.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Pfft... move out of the way grandma

Ah the CTS-V, can easily pass anything on the road other than a gas station.

60 mph... FFS mang.. if you're going to drive 60 you should have gotten the Golf SE.
I was on some back country road where the speed limit was 50mph. I'd go faster (may or may not have crested 120mph ) but the threat of deer impact was rather large. The majority of that drive was with the ACC set at 75 with that and the lane keep doing most of the driving work.

Originally Posted by TylerT
God damn ... that's GREAT gas mileage.

It makes you think .. what ARE the draw backs for a car of this price point? I'm having a hard time thinking of one.
The badge if you care about things like that. Other than that it's fast, fun, well equipped, comfortable, spacious, can carry a surprising amount of stuff (I just bought a band saw, tossed it in the back of the Golf without even folding the seat down), efficient, easy to tune, not a cop magnet, etc...
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
h8tr.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:02 PM

and you still got 36.3 mpg..

I'm sure the R gets good mileage, but that seem unbelievable
Shiett.. if that were true, I might have to get me one too..
Better than the A3 eh J?
rockstar143 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Ex-OEM King

That's what the car said lol. I didn't reset it or anything. I'm sure there was some amount of tail wind or something helping but still. On the way home, the fuel economy was 33.4 so less but still impressive for something like this.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 PM

I really like the R in DSG.. I'm getting that itch.
Make the V a real garage queen, daily driver the R.
Shiett.. maybe next year. Hot hatch!!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Holy fucking balls.. If I had an R.. I'd be installing APR stage 3+ right now
It's only 6k.. easy install.. it's fucking legit.
It must be done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
teh CL (06-17-2018), TylerT (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
dealership doesn't allow drives of new Golf Rs
I'm sorry, but that is basically saying "fuck you" to the customer before they even open their mouth - makes me never want to consider ANY VW/AUDI purchase, ever - I owned a GTi before, and I was eyeing the R before I read that. Fuck that, fuck a car dealer that won't let you test drive a car (unless it's a fucking museum piece?!?). Same shit with Honda when I wanted to test the Type R - I was all set to buy a Honda THAT DAY and had arraigned to test drive a Type R (with the dealer) before deciding which Honda to buy. When I got there they said, oh, sorry, we sold it right before you got here and you can't test drive it. Fuck Honda too - yeah, I know I bought an Acura, and Honda owns Acura, but no way was I buying from that Honda dealer. I hope they go out of business (but I know they won't).
Old 06-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Christopher.
I'm sorry, but that is basically saying "fuck you" to the customer before they even open their mouth - makes me never want to consider ANY VW/AUDI purchase, ever - I owned a GTi before, and I was eyeing the R before I read that. Fuck that, fuck a car dealer that won't let you test drive a car (unless it's a fucking museum piece?!?). Same shit with Honda when I wanted to test the Type R - I was all set to buy a Honda THAT DAY and had arraigned to test drive a Type R (with the dealer) before deciding which Honda to buy. When I got there they said, oh, sorry, we sold it right before you got here and you can't test drive it. Fuck Honda too - yeah, I know I bought an Acura, and Honda owns Acura, but no way was I buying from that Honda dealer. I hope they go out of business (but I know they won't).
They had no problems letting me drive one of the used ones which I was fine with considering they had identical engines/drivetrains and nearly identical transmissions.

I get why they don't allow drives that but that's also why they should keep a demo on the lot. I called ahead to make sure that they would allow me to drive and some dealers told me no drives even of used ones. I didn't even show up to those places. You were allowed to drive the Type R but they sold it before you got there which is well within their rights to do. Also, they won't let you drive any car after it's sold regardless of if it's a Mitsubishi Mirage or a RR Phantom. Too bad. Quit complaining and go find another dealer, it's not like you were looking for some unicorn car. If you are this butt hurt by this one dealer who sold a car before you got there, I might suggest a bike shop instead.
00TL-P3.2 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Pro

...Too bad. Quit complaining and go find another dealer, it's not like you were looking for some unicorn car. If you are this butt hurt by this one dealer who sold a car before you got there, I might suggest a bike shop instead.
It was a big deal - I had gotten a quote to buy a car and I said "but I want to try try the Type R before I buy. I had never heard of a dealer not allowing a test drive before, so when they said "sorry you can't test drive the Type R" I was offended and shocked, I told them so, and that I was not going to buy from them because of it. So, they got approval from the manager and scheduled for me to come in and test drive the Type R. Brought my son with me, we were both excited about the test drive.

Last time I walked into a Mercedes dealership and looked a their over $100,000 dual pained glass window luxury car, just out of curiosity, I even told them up front I wasn't buying, I just like to take a look a the car and sit in it they said "just let us know if you'd like to test drive, no problem".

So yes, it really is offensive Honda dealer, if you try to tell me "sorry, this car is too fancy" you can't test drive it, seriously, fuck them, it's really fucking annoying (and stupid).
Old 06-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Christopher.
It was a big deal - I had gotten a quote to buy a car and I said "but I want to try try the Type R before I buy. I had never heard of a dealer not allowing a test drive before, so when they said "sorry you can't test drive the Type R" I was offended and shocked, I told them so, and that I was not going to buy from them because of it. So, they got approval from the manager and scheduled for me to come in and test drive the Type R. Brought my son with me, we were both excited about the test drive.

Last time I walked into a Mercedes dealership and looked a their over $100,000 dual pained glass window luxury car, just out of curiosity, I even told them up front I wasn't buying, I just like to take a look a the car and sit in it they said "just let us know if you'd like to test drive, no problem".

So yes, it really is offensive Honda dealer, if you try to tell me "sorry, this car is too fancy" you can't test drive it, seriously, fuck them, it's really fucking annoying (and stupid).
So wait. They said no you can't drive...then they got approval for you to drive...and you're still upset? You got what you wanted, why are you still pissed?

Also a $100k Mercedes is still not a rare, very limited run model of which there aren't many that can be replaced.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 5,294 Likes on 3,628 Posts
Agreeing with Sam here.
I recall Mitsubishi dealers doing similar with the Evo. I'm also sure it's not a 100% no test drives policy, but more to keep people from coming in just to put miles on the car with no intent to buy.
The fact that the CTR wasn't able to drive due to being sold is another thing entirely.

I did walk on a dealer who wouldn't allow for an extended test drive in a Highlander, prior to getting our Flex. Sorry, it's not a Corvette, a buyer is unlikely to walk on a Highlander because it has 60 miles on it.

If a DSG GolfR could be had under $40k, I'd be looking hard. A quick look around Houston +100 miles, found a few right on the $40k bubble, but all 6MT.

Dealer closest to my office has an Iron Blue Autobahn DSG at an attractive price.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The car was sold. If the dealer had *my* new car still on their floor/shop and someone wanted to drive it, I'd tell them to pound sand. It's *my* car. Not the dealership's. *Mine*.

If there is so much as a knick on that car from anyone other than myself, I'd be pi$$ed. If there's so much as a kilometer on that odometer that was put on without my consent, I'd be pi$$ed.

I didn't just drop 50k CDN on a Civic so some other unknown jacka$$ can feel what a VTEC pull feels in it, before I do. I wouldn't want anyone doing any pulls with the car, before the engine has been broken in completely.

Last edited by TacoBello; 06-11-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Pro

So wait. They said no you can't drive...then they got approval for you to drive...and you're still upset? You got what you wanted, why are you still pissed?
I guess I was too brief - when I asked at first they basically acted like I was silly for asking - so, I was like, whoa, wait, no, do you seriously treat your customers this way? I (politely) told them that I found that offensive and that I wouldn't want to buy a car from you guys if you treat me this way. Then she said (internet sales lady) she would see what she could do, she came back and said: "OK, I go approval from my manager, if you can commit to coming in tomorrow you can test drive the Type R". I said, OK, yes, I'll come in tomorrow at X time.

Then the sales guy that greeted me at the door almost laughed at me when I said I was "here to test drive the type R" and he says no, you can't and I said I came in today specifically because I was told that I could, could I please speak to your manager or a supervisor or something... He says "hold on" and go talks to somebody and comes back and says: "the owner just sold the Type R to his friend like an hour ago and there's "no way" he's gonna let you test drive it."

So - they had the car, not sold, and they made a commitment to me - they should have told the guy who bought it that they could let him know later that day if it was available still. They didn't even call me to tell me that the test drive had to be canceled because the sold the car - instead I came in and got laughed at and treated rudely. After all, it's not like they were gonna have any trouble selling the car, most places they were back ordered.

Also a $100k Mercedes is still not a rare, very limited run model of which there aren't many that can be replaced.
I see more VW Rs on the road that the top of the line Mercedes, and the Civic Type R is not some kind of rare precious item, they just make less of them. It's not hand crafted carbon fiber or something, it's basically just a factory tuned Civic that's what the "Sport" model should have been all along. (They throw the name "Sport" on cars without improving the actual performance and that's just annoying)

I like the GTi and I do really want your car - I (and other family members) have just had too many reliability issues with VWs in the past - well, and the price was a little too high for me for the R, while the more affordable GTi didn't have quite enough power to persude me last time I chose a new car...

I would love to own a few years old Type R (or BMW M2) in the future perhaps. Sorry, my rant was slightly off topic, but you touched on a sore spot - I wish consumers wouldn't tolerate it when dealers say something like "well you can't test drive a new one" - no, I wish they would basically respond with a "fuck you" to that dealer and walk out and buy their car somewhere else. I'm tired of companies like Honda giving me excuses about how the "dealers are independent and there isn't anything we can do" - don't tell me that Honda has zero power to make Type Rs available for test driving. They could exert basically as much pressure on a dealer as they wanted, if they so choose.

Last edited by Christopher.; 06-11-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:42 PM

Wuttt... that's some bs.
My buddy saved 65k cash to buy his next car about 7-8 years back
He's young but making 6 figggasss, he's driving a shitty civic. Probably worth 1k.
He went to a lotus dealership to check out an Elise. I think it was 40k, not really expensive.
Nope. Guy was a total fuck stick too.

Went to Audi, test drove an S5 (cuck!). Didn't even ask for his driver's license.
He was close to pulling the trigger, but the cuck life wasn't for him.
Decided to go to graduate school instead and get a PhD at UCSD.
If I can't test drive, I'm not buying.

Not only did I test drive the shit out of the V, I did so with my vato and his 4 year old strapped in a child seat in the back.
Dealer let my homie test drive it too. I scared the shit out of him. lol. #childendangerment
He was like, what's going on?!?! Homie was like.. mijo it's the car.
No papa, no.. it's a rocket!!!

Moral of the story, get a V instead.
Or an S5 if you're a cuck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
teh CL (06-17-2018), TylerT (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Reminds me of when I was shopping for my RL. I was interested in a laundry list of cars, among them a 350Z. Second I popped the hood I could tell previous owner had modified it and done a poor job returning it to stock. Honda dealer refused to let me drive it. Granted I was a 22 year old asking to drive a sports car but still, I'm not going to buy a car without driving it.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Or an S5 if you're a cuck.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
When I bought my GTI, I didn't even buy the one I took out for a test drive. We got back to the dealership and we went through each White GTI Sport on the lot and I got the one with the lowest miles (11 miles). I don't want a car that has been beat on during the test drives and hasn't been broken in to my liking. People who buy a specialty car like the Golf R and Civic Type R are not your average buyers. They are car enthusiasts and want a car that hasn't been taken out for test drives. They already know what they're buying ahead of time.
rockstar143 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Predatorbird
When I bought my GTI, I didn't even buy the one I took out for a test drive. We got back to the dealership and we went through each White GTI Sport on the lot and I got the one with the lowest miles (11 miles). I don't want a car that has been beat on during the test drives and hasn't been broken in to my liking. People who buy a specialty car like the Golf R and Civic Type R are not your average buyers. They are car enthusiasts and want a car that hasn't been taken out for test drives. They already know what they're buying ahead of time.
Exactly why Honda should have a demo Type R available to test drive - at least in major metropolitan areas across the country, if dealers won't let customers test drive them.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Predatorbird
100% agree. This is why I found a used one and tried that one out. The Subaru dealership did the same thing. The only one that tossed me keys to a new one was Ford with the RS...probably because they are finally trying to actually sell them.

I'm not going to buy a car without driving it first but I figured out I wanted it with the used one and drove the new one just before handing them a check. Done deal.
Christopher. (06-12-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:01 AM

Flat out refusing is retarded.
Check your credit and show you have the ability to purchase it and have at it.
It's a nice car, but let's be real...it's not an exotic.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:28 AM

I pulled up to the Lotus dealer in Austin in a Saturn, just to look around.
Jokingly asked for a test drive & got to take a short spin in an Elise (dealer demo) & t he salesman encouraged me to push it a bit
All depends on the dealer.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

Jokingly asked for a test drive & got to take a short spin in an Elise (dealer demo) & t he salesman encouraged me to push it a bit
The one on north 183? Those fuckers
My buddy is Indian (dot not feather), but can pass for a poor Messican tho
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Flat out refusing is retarded.
Check your credit and show you have the ability to purchase it and have at it.
It's a nice car, but let's be real...it's not an exotic.
I'm not going to let some dealer pull my credit for a test drive. If they want to do that, I can find another dealer who won't or find a used example to thrash around. It's a Honda/Ford/VW dealer. There's one or more in almost every city so it's not hard to just go a few miles and find another.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM

The one on north 183? Those fuckers
My buddy is Indian (dot not feather), but can pass for a poor Messican tho
Autostrada on N Lamar, IIRC. This was back in '05-06 when I lived in Austin.
I'm not going to let some dealer pull my credit for a test drive. If they want to do that, I can find another dealer who won't or find a used example to thrash around. It's a Honda/Ford/VW dealer. There's one or more in almost every city so it's not hard to just go a few miles and find another.

Had a dealer want to do a hard pull for an extended test drive in the F150. More or less told him I'd walk, was right on the bubble for the lowest rates from my C.U. so I didn't want the hit, no matter how little.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:10 PM

Well, that's a personal choice...that's also not flat out refusing a test drive. That's just ensuring the person isn't there to joyride and ghostride the whip
Old 06-13-2018, 04:20 PM

Autostrada on N Lamar, IIRC. This was back in '05-06 when I lived in Austin.
Totally different
I'm talking about Lotus of Austin on north 183
Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Dealers are seriously refusing test drives of the R? What the hell? It's a $40k car, not $140k
Old 06-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Dealers are seriously refusing test drives of the R? What the hell? It's a $40k car, not $140k
Of new ones, yes. Mostly because, and I agree with this, people who are buying hot hatches don't want pre hooned examples. The benefit is that many have a used one or two sitting around for that test drive that people want.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Pro

But it shouldn't (depend on the dealer) - the assholes who won't give you a test drive really should be driven out of business, one way or another. Seriously.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:31 PM

they should be driven out of business...
Old 06-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
That's insane...the mpg.
I might have to bite the bullet on newer cars and higher efficiency.
Especially with premium being $3.75 right now in Sofla!
Pushing 4.05 a gallon in the wonderful effed up state of Californiuh
Old 06-17-2018, 03:03 PM

Old 06-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Pushing 4.05 a gallon in the wonderful effed up state of Californiuh
Consider yourself lucky that gas is that cheap
Old 06-17-2018, 03:42 PM

No.
consider yourself unlucky that gas is not that cheap in canadick.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

I'm gonna start siphoning gas from cars, across the border
Old 06-17-2018, 05:27 PM

they won't be that mad. it only cost them $4 a gallon

Quick Reply: Well...the S2000 needed more doors, more driven wheels, and a lot more torque...