Spun a G35! Also, why the hell is this car soo much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Spun a G35 Coupe! Also, why the hell is this car soo much?

I went to Infiniti yesterday to take a look at the G35 for fun. I spoke to a sales guy and told him I wanted to see what the G35 behaved like on the road. So.. we took out a manual loaded black on black. He told me the car was 36K and change as configured with navi, everything basically. The navigation is really not that good with quirky controls and a really sensitive toggle button it took me 5 minutes to put an address in. I did like the pop-up but the plastic interior is WAY cheap looking.

The G35 is a nice vehicle with a nice engine under the hood. Off the line it was not that aggressive but once you knotched it in 2nd it takes up pretty damn hard. The brakes are VERY good I even say close to M3 style braking with a quick application and your chest is pressed into your seatbelt.

So.......... the sales guy tells me the car has seven sensors that prevent bad driving and rollovers, slides, blah blah blah this is a rear wheel drive vehicle and I tell him I doubt you can really tame it. We take an on-ramp the curves dramatically before straitening out and I dump it in 2nd and we drift for a good 10 feet then the back end squirrels around and we find ourselves facing the wrong way. The salesguy was stunned probably from panic so I slowly put it in first and take her back to the dealership.

ANYWAYS, we get back to the dealership and I sit down and he goes to his manager to get a lease price. He tells me:

$2,500 Down, $620 fucking dollars a month are these guys on crack or what!

So, I tell the guy the car is not worth $620 a month and he tells me that people will pay that for a BMW Beater . I told the guy that if this car has 1/2 the prestige of a BMW I still wouldn't pay that much, I WOULD RATHER have a loaded 330 then a G35.

The markup is brutal guys....
Old 11-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're talking about the coupe right, I don't think the manual for the 4 door is out yet.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:02 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Spun a G35! Also, why the hell is this car soo much?

Originally posted by eclipse23
I went to Infiniti yesterday to take a look at the G35 for fun. I spoke to a sales guy and told him I wanted to see what the G35 behaved like on the road. So.. we took out a manual loaded black on black. He told me the car was 36K and change as configured with navi, everything basically. The navigation is really not that good with quirky controls and a really sensitive toggle button it took me 5 minutes to put an address in. I did like the pop-up but the plastic interior is WAY cheap looking.

The G35 is a nice vehicle with a nice engine under the hood. Off the line it was not that aggressive but once you knotched it in 2nd it takes up pretty damn hard. The brakes are VERY good I even say close to M3 style braking with a quick application and your chest is pressed into your seatbelt.

So.......... the sales guy tells me the car has seven sensors that prevent bad driving and rollovers, slides, blah blah blah this is a rear wheel drive vehicle and I tell him I doubt you can really tame it. We take an on-ramp the curves dramatically before straitening out and I dump it in 2nd and we drift for a good 10 feet then the back end squirrels around and we find ourselves facing the wrong way. The salesguy was stunned probably from panic so I slowly put it in first and take her back to the dealership.

ANYWAYS, we get back to the dealership and I sit down and he goes to his manager to get a lease price. He tells me:

$2,500 Down, $620 fucking dollars a month are these guys on crack or what!

So, I tell the guy the car is not worth $620 a month and he tells me that people will pay that for a BMW Beater . I told the guy that if this car has 1/2 the prestige of a BMW I still wouldn't pay that much, I WOULD RATHER have a loaded 330 then a G35.

The markup is brutal guys....
holy shizzit man. you must be very confident in your driving to take out a dealers car and fuck around with it like that. good deal, tell him that next time if you can make him shit his pants in fear then he takes off the markup. and yeah, im with you BMW>Infiniti regardless of performance numbers.

i thought they didnt have many 6MT's around, let alone available to test drive.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I got a lease of $2500 down (total out of pocket, not just a cap reduction), 12k year, 36 months.......$580/month ($36k+ msrp).

The guy recommended waiting 3-4 months until things cool down (the lease program will definitely be getting better, the rate is whats killing it right now). The car isn't in that much demand, my local dealer has several available for immediate delivery at MSRP.

Right now you can lease a 2003 G35 sedan (nicely loaded) for like $420-$450/month (same term as above). Give it some time and the coupe will be in the $450-$500 area.

I can't get over the interior, so not that it matters.

The G35 sedan manual is due out in either January/February.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Spun a G35! Also, why the hell is this car soo much?

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
holy shizzit man. you must be very confident in your driving to take out a dealers car and fuck around with it like that. good deal, tell him that next time if you can make him shit his pants in fear then he takes off the markup. and yeah, im with you BMW>Infiniti regardless of performance numbers.

i thought they didnt have many 6MT's around, let alone available to test drive.
A friend of mine referred me to the dealer with the intention of taking out a manny.

When I test drive cars I treat them like I will if I buy them. Normally stick cars are not test driven unless you ask and act serious about buying one. Also, I drove in with my Type-S so he knew I was no kid just looking to fuck around. If I really liked the car and the cost was not astronomical who knows... I could have bought one or heavily considered one.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Beltfed
I got a lease of $2500 down (total out of pocket, not just a cap reduction), 12k year, 36 months.......$580/month ($36k+ msrp).

The guy recommended waiting 3-4 months until things cool down (the lease program will definitely be getting better, the rate is whats killing it right now). The car isn't in that much demand, my local dealer has several available for immediate delivery at MSRP.

Right now you can lease a 2003 G35 sedan (nicely loaded) for like $420-$450/month (same term as above). Give it some time and the coupe will be in the $450-$500 area.

I can't get over the interior, so not that it matters.

The G35 sedan manual is due out in either January/February.
When he told me the price of a coupe I was staring at the sticker on the sedan that said $479 a month LOL.

And yes, the interior was ass anyways.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
$650/month with $2500 DOWN???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy freakin crap...
Old 11-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

That was his first offer, I am sure that price is negotiable, just like everything else.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:08 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
the reason that car is so expensive to LEASE is because they know it is going to depreciate like a dog like EVERY OTHER INFINITI.

Banks will take a big hit at lease end if they dont charge you those rates.

Within 6 mo you will see lease specials from NISSAN's bank just so they can sell the car.

This is the same story with EVERY NISSAN. Same shit every new car launch.

Within 6 mo you can buy any new nissan for free after dealer incentives / offers to pay you to take the cars off their lots. LOL

Nissan is more about volume then Honda. I dont know how thats possible. lol
Old 11-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I remember reading in a few mags about the G35 sedan that it has a serious problem with oversteer. They said the rear end just kicks out VERY easily and has a tendency to spin with the slightest provocation. They recommended keeping the stability control on all the time
Old 11-17-2002, 04:23 PM
Pro

Re: Spun a G35 Coupe! Also, why the hell is this car soo much?

Originally posted by eclipse23

Did you put it in second without rev-matching? Sounds like you just locked up the wheels. Glad you didn't stuff it.

As for RWD, you would be shocked at how forgiving the BMW 3 series is at the track.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:23 PM
Ricky: Drugs > Football

i hope more people read this before they keep talking about the g35 as the solution to all of their cl problems.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Guys - I think we need to be a little careful here. I had a CL-S and yes FWD can inspire more confidence for even the most novice of drivers as understeer tends to come on more slowly. I am not trying to magazine race, but have you seen the slalom numbers for the G35 Sedan (let alone the coupe)?

The CL-S has a TON of stuff going for it (as mentioned the G35 interior is kinda sub par - understatement actually). I was able to get the G35 sedan at invoice thru IBM, so it made it easy for me. But I can say the G35 sedan has brakes, handling, and a 3.5L engine that top the CL-S that I had. With a 6MT coming in Jan/Feb that will rock ... remember how long it took to get the 6MT on the CLS? and where is it for the TLS? Infiniti does do a "few" things right ...

I think for resale the G35 will be good ... rumors are floating that it will be Motor Trend car of the year ... we'll see it that is true, but personally I don't care

By the way ... I smoked a mod'ed prelude today with carbon fiber hood, upgraded exhaust (at least), and nice wheels. The CLS had it and so does the G35 sedan - sleeper factor
Old 11-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Ricky: Drugs > Football

Gotta love that sleeper factor