Rockauto.com NEVER AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rockauto.com NEVER AGAIN

Just wanted to share my recent experiences with Rock Auto.

My first bad experience with them occurred about 6 months ago. I had ordered brake pads for my wife’s car (front and rear) and when the items arrived I looked at the boxes to confirm that they were the correct part. It wasn’t until 6 weeks later when I had the time to do the job that I discovered that Rock Auto had sent me USED pads for the rear. Not only were these things dirty, they had the compression ring from the caliper embedded on the outside shim. I immediately called RA and explained the situation to them. I got some resistance since I was past their 30 day return policy, but they gave in and took the parts back and paid for the return shipping. There was some confusion on the refunding of the money in that they sent out a new set to me that day when I simply wanted a refund. I had to go to the local parts store to get the pads as I already had the car torn down. So I got stuck with the return shipping on the second set that I didn’t want. Whatever.... I chalked it up to an off day on their part. I had been using them for over 10 years and this was my first bad experience.

My second bad experience happened last month. I had order some parts for my car and I made sure to closely inspect them as soon as they arrived. The good news is that all of the parts were new. Long story short, when I went to install them I found out that one part was defective and another was not needed.

So I go online and initiate a return. The process was easy and I printed out a return shipping label, the cost of which would be deducted from my refund. A few days later I get an e-mail stating that I’ve been refunded the cost of the defective part but not the unused part. WHAT??? Turns out that the box that the unused part came in was missing a label on the side which contained the part number. Apparently, when the box was originally shipped to me it was tapped in such a way that when I opened it, the label tore. According to RA they can’t identify the part. So I told them that I have a couple of problems with this. First is that they sent the part in a plain cardboard box (didn’t appear to be a manufacture’s box) and tape it in such a way that the label is destroyed upon opening (honestly, who keeps used tape?). Second is that the part itself HAS a label on it with the manufacture’s name and part number. So it’s identifiable. They then responded that the part can’t be resold because they can’t identify it from the outside. I guess penciling in the part number or walking it to the bin from which it came from is beyond their comprehension.

So I initiated a dispute with my credit card company who fortunately agreed with me and I got my money back. It’s unfortunate because I have used RA for over 10 years and until now I had nothing but good experiences with them. Then again, I never had to return anything before. Looks like I’ll be going elsewhere to get my auto parts.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Not taking side but i was in auto retail business for many years before and i have seen it all.

There might be a reason for everything happened from your perspective but they do not know that or necessarily believe you.

That is why there is a policy in place.

In your first case, they sent you a used part. 100% their fault regardless if it was mistake or not. But you waited for 1.5 months to contact them. You would be suspicious too if you were the seller. I am even surprised they actually gave you any refund/new parts.

In your second case, parts are defective all the time and unless they test everything they ship out (impossible in auto industry), otherwise it happens all the time.

What were the requirement for returning goods? if the label that you are missing is one of the required items, then they did not do anything wrong, regardless if the part number is available inside or not. There is a reason why the item was required.

If the label was not one of the required items, then you did the right thing by filing the dispute.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm lucky. I've ordered parts for my V from Rock Auto on a number of occasions and had no problems.

The first item I'm also surprised they helped you given you waited so long. That shows GOOD service on their part even though the initial error was their fault.

I think the main moral to your story is to check parts immediately and make sure you keep labels intact at delivery in case you have to return them. This applies to all auto parts stores, not just Rock Auto.
The following 9 users liked this post by neuronbob:
00TL-P3.2 (02-23-2015), EvilVirus (03-03-2015), fsttyms1 (02-21-2015), ggesq (02-23-2015), Ken1997TL (02-23-2015), NBP04TL4ME (02-21-2015), oo7spy (02-21-2015), ttribe (02-21-2015), UA6 (02-23-2015) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Agree ^

I had the bushings in a control arm i got from them go bad after about 2 months. Called them up gave them the info and got it exchanged no issues or hassle. Ive used them for years without issue.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:09 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I think the main moral to your story is to check parts immediately and make sure you keep labels intact at delivery in case you have to return them. This applies to all auto parts stores, not just Rock Auto.
I think keeping the label intact applies to almost everything... clothes, electronics, mattresses ... The label contains important info such as the name or description of the product, UPC bar code, serial number, product number, etc.

This info comes in handy in case an unscrupulous person tries to buy an item, swap it out with something different but similar in appearance (or the same item purchased many months ago and is now broken/damaged), and then return it for a full refund.

Less common now, but there are those who will buy an item with a rebate, cut out the UPC bar code, try to return the item, and if successful send in for the rebate.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
That sucks but I have had great experiences with them as well and am impressed they helped you after 6 weeks. I believe you but there are A LOT of shady people out there so....
Old 02-23-2015, 09:07 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Rockauto has always been good in my book, waiting on an order at the moment, but yeah always check stuff right away.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
I have been getting my brake parts from TireRack They seem to have good prices on them and no issues with the parts.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:12 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by NYTHAWK
I have been getting my brake parts from TireRack They seem to have good prices on them.....
I've found Tire Rack prices to be the highest vs others such as Rock Auto, Amazon, Auto Parts Warehouse, and Auto Anything. And their selection is slimmer.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i buy my shit from Autozone