Old 08-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Watch you mouth junior. You respek your elders or else. *Shakes fist*
The following users liked this post:
YeuEmMaiMai (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Acura wheels don't break, they bend like Jell-O... ask the 2004-8 TL guys about those Jell-O rims. The CL-S rims bent pretty easily as well. I had 3 bent ones on my car...
Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Any metal that you hit hard enough and at the right angle will fracture. End of thread.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:57 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Any metal that you hit hard enough and at the right angle will fracture. End of thread.
Jet fuel cant melt steel beams
Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts

:throws grenade, runs off:
Old 08-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Thanks Captin!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Ive owned 2 sets of stock wheels and 3 sets of aftermarket, 2 being reps 1 "authentic". Only wheels to ever take damage were 1 of the stocks but not their fault.

You guys must be old as fuck and modding since the dark ages for having had enough wheels give you issues that you have to swear against them. Damn.
so you finally get "authentic" wheels and tell everyone else running reps they are ruining their cars and making them look like shit.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by myron
so you finally get "authentic" wheels and tell everyone else running reps they are ruining their cars and making them look like shit.
You have to start somewhere. I admit that. And Im not telling people they are making their car look like shit. Please show me where I said that or implied it. If someone took that from my posts then I apologize. The authentic wheel brands verse reps all look the same so no one is making their car look like shit. It is just in my head if I know they are reps I care far far less about the build. If I see two 350z at a show one with authentic TE37s and one with reps... Im going to take a pic of the one one Volks not the one on reps. Just how I see it.

As for my wheels. I have owned 2 sets of reps. One came on my integra when I bought it so I didnt buy that set. No clue what the brand was. They werent even reps just some random off beat no name company the previous owner bought for way too much. They were 17in which is way too big for an integra. I sold them for super cheap and bought Konig mugen reps. While yes being reps, they were at least certified as safe by JWL standards.

I bought those before really understanding real vs fake. I also learned at the time some real wheels just werent worth it. For example the Mugen NRs that my Konigs were replicas of were also cast just like the konigs. Both being cast, both following JWL standards and passing... but the Konigs were about a pound and a half lighter at each corner.

Once I bought the ILX I told myself I would never again buy reps. I saved a few grand and waited for a good deal.

So what I am trying to do now is educate people so they can leave the state I was in when I bought my Konigs and hopefully enter a mentality where they want to save for a nice set of reputable wheels.

If you dont that is fine. I frankly wont say anything about it. But if you turn around and say I am dumb for spending what I did on wheels when you spent so much less well then I am going to chime and and explain the difference between our two purchases.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
You have to start somewhere. I admit that. And Im not telling people they are making their car look like shit. Please show me where I said that or implied it. If someone took that from my posts then I apologize. The authentic wheel brands verse reps all look the same so no one is making their car look like shit. It is just in my head if I know they are reps I care far far less about the build. If I see two 350z at a show one with authentic TE37s and one with reps... Im going to take a pic of the one one Volks not the one on reps. Just how I see it.

As for my wheels. I have owned 2 sets of reps. One came on my integra when I bought it so I didnt buy that set. No clue what the brand was. They werent even reps just some random off beat no name company the previous owner bought for way too much. They were 17in which is way too big for an integra. I sold them for super cheap and bought Konig mugen reps. While yes being reps, they were at least certified as safe by JWL standards.

I bought those before really understanding real vs fake. I also learned at the time some real wheels just werent worth it. For example the Mugen NRs that my Konigs were replicas of were also cast just like the konigs. Both being cast, both following JWL standards and passing... but the Konigs were about a pound and a half lighter at each corner.

Once I bought the ILX I told myself I would never again buy reps. I saved a few grand and waited for a good deal.

So what I am trying to do now is educate people so they can leave the state I was in when I bought my Konigs and hopefully enter a mentality where they want to save for a nice set of reputable wheels.

If you dont that is fine. I frankly wont say anything about it. But if you turn around and say I am dumb for spending what I did on wheels when you spent so much less well then I am going to chime and and explain the difference between our two purchases.

That is the problem

Everyone here knows the difference between reps and "reputable" wheels. People buy different wheels for different reasons. Your way is NOT the only justifiable way to purchase anything.
I thought you spent $1000 on those used "authentic" wheels. Those are pocket change in the wheel industry, so don't make it sound like you bought some $10k HREs. A lot of the reps cost more than $1,000.

and your car is all show no go, you probably busy trying to dodge every dip on the road and going super sideways just to get on to the entrance. The difference in quality would never come into play.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-29-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
That is the problem

Everyone here knows the difference between reps and "reputable" wheels. People buy different wheels for different reasons. Your way is NOT the only justifiable way to purchase anything.
I thought you spent $1000 on those used "authentic" wheels. Those are pocket change in the wheel industry, so don't make it sound like you bought some $10k HREs. A lot of the reps cost more than $1,000.

and your car is all show no go, you probably busy trying to dodge every dip on the road and going super sideways just to get on to the entrance. The difference in quality would never come into play.
I apologize but I am not trying to make it sound like I bought 10K wheels. I am very open about the price I spent. Reason for this is because I know damn well people spend the same price on replica wheels. That is what people dont understand when they buy reps and why they need to be educated. People often think you need 10K for a nice set of wheels but you dont. You can spend the same amount people do on reps if they just wait for a good deal. Often people are unwilling to wait or look so they take the easy route and just buy the cheaper wheels now at the same price.

So I have to disagree. Not everyone knows the difference. You may. But many many people do not.

As for your last comments. Sure my car is more show than go. It's a damn R series civic. Im not sure why this even matters aside from you just talking shit now? And No I dont dodge dips in the road. My suspension is stiff enough and I have enough clearance to enter most any driveway without having to correct much. Im no lower than a corvette so I dont have to do anything a corvette wouldnt.

And I have to disagree one more time. Even in typical daily driving the quality of you wheel can come into play. Bad example by I myself have damaged a wheel beyond repair in my first car. Hit a curb when my car picked up on some water in the road while making a turn. Wasnt too bad of damage but it bent the outer lip enough to snap. Shop couldnt fix it because I had lost too much of the metal. The wheels I have now would have held up as the lip is forged. It would not have snapped it would have bent and there would have been a far higher possibility that the wheel shop could have just bent back the lip. Or, instead of having to spend 300+ for a new OE wheel I could have spend 150-200 on a new forged lip.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Wackjum made an extremely sweeping statement that aftermarket wheels are inferior to oem wheels im a real world testing. That statement at face value is inaccurate. That is literally the only pointbim trying to make.

A 5 spoke cast wheel may be as strong or stronger than my thinner spoke mesh design. But my mesh design is as strong or stronger than say a type s waffle or other cast mesh design.

Those details werent mentioned in wackjums initial post. Had they been i would have agreed with him. But his statement as he made it was very sweeping.

Its not as simple as all forged are stronger than oem just like it's not as simple as wackjum put it.
What are these sweeping statements I am making? Here is exactly what I said:

Originally Posted by wackjum
After owning a lot of cars and wheels, I am tired of after-market. It doesn't matter if they are genuine or not. They are designed for looks first and durability second. They just don't hold up to real world use. Give me OEM. Or if the OEM wheels look terrible, hopefully you can swap with OEMs from a different model, different year, or up and down the lineup.
First of all, where did I ever tell anybody to buy or not buy aftermarket wheels? I said that after owning a number of vehicles and aftermarket wheels, *I* am now tired of after-market wheels. Then I put forth why I am tired. Because they are designed for looks first and durability second. Then I stated that I go OEM, or look within the manufacturer's line for an alternative wheel. You are the one who has painted my 6 line response into a sweeping statement of how I am anti- everything. I'm just sharing my experiences. I remember when I was young and I saved up my money to buy a set of Motegi's for my 1988 Honda Prelude Si. Looking back, I should have just kept the money because it didn't matter in the least bit when I had perfectly functional wheels already.

Secondly, a wheel company is not going to come out and say that they design wheels for appearance first and durability second. But they have to because why else would anybody ever buy aftermarket wheels? Literally every single automobile in the world comes from the factory with a set of perfectly functional wheels already.So the only reason anybody ever has to change from the factory wheels would be to either repair or replace damaged factory ones, or they want to upgrade this aspect of their vehicle. There are two upgrades associated with wheels which is either size or appearance. So if we're talking about getting a wider tire or a lower profile tire, you need different dimension wheels. And what makes somebody buy one 18" wheel over another 18" wheel? It is because of the design.

I bet the reason for the vast majority of wheels being changed is for the aesthetics. So yes, an aftermarket wheel manufacturer is going to concentrate on design first and foremost. And they are going to prioritize design to grab their intended market. A car manufacturer is going to be more conservative with the wheel design because while they want a good looking wheel that complements the car, they want a durable wheel and they also know wheels alone won't sell a car off the lot.

If some aftermarket company out there wanted to build a durable wheel, that's easy. They'd release a steel disk with some holes punched in it for air flow. But that's not what they're making is it?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I apologize but I am not trying to make it sound like I bought 10K wheels. I am very open about the price I spent. Reason for this is because I know damn well people spend the same price on replica wheels. That is what people dont understand when they buy reps and why they need to be educated. People often think you need 10K for a nice set of wheels but you dont. You can spend the same amount people do on reps if they just wait for a good deal. Often people are unwilling to wait or look so they take the easy route and just buy the cheaper wheels now at the same price.
I think you need to explain yourself better then because this ^ sounds fair and I agree. But everything I've read from you prior to this was sounding like people with reps on their cars look like shit simply because they're not a big brand name. But then you say no one can tell the difference from standing back.

Part of the problem is that you're into a scene where it's all low and big name wheels etc. I think that scene is silly but whatever knocks your hair back. Most here are not into that scene so no one cares if the wheels are real or not.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gnuts
I think you need to explain yourself better then because this ^ sounds fair and I agree. But everything I've read from you prior to this was sounding like people with reps on their cars look like shit simply because they're not a big brand name. But then you say no one can tell the difference from standing back.

Part of the problem is that you're into a scene where it's all low and big name wheels etc. I think that scene is silly but whatever knocks your hair back. Most here are not into that scene so no one cares if the wheels are real or not.
I am almost positive that he said something along the lines of "people can keep putting fake wheels on and making their cars worse" but I can't seem to find that so maybe it was deleted or changed. This was a while ago
Old 08-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,208 Likes on 692 Posts
What are these sweeping statements I am making? Here is exactly what I said:
After owning a lot of cars and wheels, I am tired of after-market. It doesn't matter if they are genuine or not. They are designed for looks first and durability second. They just don't hold up to real world use. Give me OEM. Or if the OEM wheels look terrible, hopefully you can swap with OEMs from a different model, different year, or up and down the lineup.
That is a pretty sweeping statement, though. Your comment generalizes all aftermarket as looks first, durability second. That's not true.

You've already been pointed out that this isn't the case for every aftermarket wheel. BBS & Volks are primarily function first wheels for the most; they hold a huge impact in the motorsport world, hence why they are a popular & reliable brand for track owners. You've already been told Enkei has been used by almost every major manufacturer (every one from Japan has sourced them for OEM wheels). Your decision to write off aftermarket & swear by OEM is almost comical when you take into account that they are intertwined a lot these days.

If some aftermarket company out there wanted to build a durable wheel, that's easy. They'd release a steel disk with some holes punched in it for air flow. But that's not what they're making is it?
So, what's your take on this wheel? At the time, this was the first carbon fiber wheel on the market, shown to be lightweight, stronger, & more efficient on the track.

Koenigsegg was so impressed, he outsourced Dymag as the OEM wheel for the CCX. It's likely that the CF worked out so well in performance, that it may be why he decided the Agera would have optional CF wheels he would go on to build himself.

You have good points, but you have still technically made a broad generalization of the aftermarket industry. I will concede that most are likely design over function, but there's enough out there that are the opposite. Are they typically super expensive wheels like ADV1? Yes. But, unlike ADV1, they have a proven record in motorsports, and that's what you pay for. Whether or not they meet some extreme certification doesn't matter. Again, I have no doubt an Enkei RPF1 is manufactured to the same quality our Lexus GSF wheels are, just with the Lexus being a more complicated design. I see no reason why Lexus would outsource to them if they didn't believe in their quality.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
That is a pretty sweeping statement, though. Your comment generalizes all aftermarket as looks first, durability second. That's not true.

You've already been pointed out that this isn't the case for every aftermarket wheel. BBS & Volks are primarily function first wheels for the most; they hold a huge impact in the motorsport world, hence why they are a popular & reliable brand for track owners. You've already been told Enkei has been used by almost every major manufacturer (every one from Japan has sourced them for OEM wheels). Your decision to write off aftermarket & swear by OEM is almost comical when you take into account that they are intertwined a lot these days.

So, what's your take on this wheel? At the time, this was the first carbon fiber wheel on the market, shown to be lightweight, stronger, & more efficient on the track.

Koenigsegg was so impressed, he outsourced Dymag as the OEM wheel for the CCX. It's likely that the CF worked out so well in performance, that it may be why he decided the Agera would have optional CF wheels he would go on to build himself.

You have good points, but you have still technically made a broad generalization of the aftermarket industry. I will concede that most are likely design over function, but there's enough out there that are the opposite. Are they typically super expensive wheels like ADV1? Yes. But, unlike ADV1, they have a proven record in motorsports, and that's what you pay for. Whether or not they meet some extreme certification doesn't matter. Again, I have no doubt an Enkei RPF1 is manufactured to the same quality our Lexus GSF wheels are, just with the Lexus being a more complicated design. I see no reason why Lexus would outsource to them if they didn't believe in their quality.

I must be a pretty important authority on here if you guy are hanging on my every word when making purchase decisions for your vehicles. I'm sorry I might have dissuaded somebody from the purchase of quality race proven aftermarket wheels when I painted in a single line response that characterized every wheel on the face of the planet as not being on the par as every factory wheel in existence. I should have been more precise and said 86.23% of aftermarket wheels emphasize design over durability. Or was it 93.64512%? How many significant digits should I round out to before my answer meets appropriate levels of precision.

Can you say all elephants are grey? Unless you've personally accounted for every elephant yourself, there remains the possibility of a yellow one out there. We just can't ever be sure.

Seriously, give it a break on this thread. I gave my perspective on why I don't buy aftermarket wheels anymore. I thought it was pretty well backed up with personal experience. I didn't realize I was going to have to personally validate some of the people's wheel purchase decisions or they'd get upset that their purchase was a waste.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Your decision to write off aftermarket & swear by OEM is almost comical when you take into account that they are intertwined a lot these days.
You realize I am not denying that wheels make a huge difference on the appearance of a car. Nor am I suggesting that you must stick with the stockers your car came with. What I suggested is going with factory wheels in general. This solves a few problems:
  1. They're cheap. People get rid of stock wheels, sometimes even with tires, for $25 - $50 a wheel. For the money spent, you are getting a certified/tested durable design.
  2. Fitment is almost guaranteed. The hub is not overbored to fit a variety of cars. Offset is generally compatible across the manufacturer's line so it won't stick out or look sunk in. Yes sometimes the wheel is too wide, but you have to do your research.
  3. Lug nuts can be reused. I've personally seen studs shear off because somebody used the wrong lug nuts for their wheel. For example most Honda's are actually not conical seat but acorn seat. Lug nuts are another overlooked item. I've purchased expensive "tuner lugs" before and within a few months they looked terrible. They were rusting and flaking from just being cheaply made.
So here's another personal example (if these even matter anymore). Back over 10 years ago when I first joined this forum, I had a 1st gen Acura 3.2TL. The stock wheels and tires were 15" 205s, which by today's standards are pretty undersized. I was shopping for wheels for a long time but in the end I bought a set of 17" TSX wheels from a guy on craigslist for $200. This allowed me to increase my tire size to 225 17s.

Can you imagine buying a set of aftermarket wheels for $200? What kind of quality would they be? And the TSX wheels look great on the car. It was definitely an improvement over the hideous stock ones. Fitment was perfect. I did not have to buy any new lugs or plastic hub centric rings.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:54 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
And Im not telling people they are making their car look like shit. Please show me where I said that or implied it.
Originally Posted by myron
I am almost positive that he said something along the lines of "people can keep putting fake wheels on and making their cars worse" but I can't seem to find that so maybe it was deleted or changed. This was a while ago
He said it in this thread, post # 59

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal.../#post15827361

The only thing i take personally is that i cant make an argument without people thinking im all angry. It must be how i form my sentences but it frankly doesnt matter to me if you believe me, ignore me, or think im an idiot. Alls the same here. Im just providing info where i can. Im not an angry person. Im extremely laid back. Throw reps on your car for all i care. Not my whip go ahead and ruin it with shit parts.

... Waits for taco to brag about how he doesnt buy shit parts. Which i know you dont so again, like sickest, no clue why youre arguing with me when you clearly believe in quality shit.

Nothing personal. It was just a dumb claim that aftermarket can't stand up to oem.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,208 Likes on 692 Posts
I must be a pretty important authority on here if you guy are hanging on my every word when making purchase decisions for your vehicles. I'm sorry I might have dissuaded somebody from the purchase of quality race proven aftermarket wheels when I painted in a single line response that characterized every wheel on the face of the planet as not being on the par as every factory wheel in existence. I should have been more precise and said 86.23% of aftermarket wheels emphasize design over durability. Or was it 93.64512%? How many significant digits should I round out to before my answer meets appropriate levels of precision.

Can you say all elephants are grey? Unless you've personally accounted for every elephant yourself, there remains the possibility of a yellow one out there. We just can't ever be sure.

Seriously, give it a break on this thread. I gave my perspective on why I don't buy aftermarket wheels anymore. I thought it was pretty well backed up with personal experience. I didn't realize I was going to have to personally validate some of the people's wheel purchase decisions or they'd get upset that their purchase was a waste.
You don't have to get into stating percentages, but you're arguing that you didn't make any sweeping comments. Claiming originally that all aftermarket wheels are made for design first and don't hold up to real world use is a sweeping statement b/c it's not true; you brandish the entire industry because of your poor experience with some of the wheel companies, or as to the case you presented below, because you paid $200 for some used wheels off Craigslist during one of your experiences. That situation was your own to create.

You want to take your comment being called out as asking you to validate people's wheel purchases, that's your decision. I already acknowledged I understand your position, I just believe you need to take it on a brand-by-brand basis instead of writing them all off. Otherwise, we're at a crossroad here.
You realize I am not denying that wheels make a huge difference on the appearance of a car. Nor am I suggesting that you must stick with the stockers your car came with. What I suggested is going with factory wheels in general. This solves a few problems:
  1. They're cheap. People get rid of stock wheels, sometimes even with tires, for $25 - $50 a wheel. For the money spent, you are getting a certified/tested durable design.
  2. Fitment is almost guaranteed. The hub is not overbored to fit a variety of cars. Offset is generally compatible across the manufacturer's line so it won't stick out or look sunk in. Yes sometimes the wheel is too wide, but you have to do your research.
  3. Lug nuts can be reused. I've personally seen studs shear off because somebody used the wrong lug nuts for their wheel. For example most Honda's are actually not conical seat but acorn seat. Lug nuts are another overlooked item. I've purchased expensive "tuner lugs" before and within a few months they looked terrible. They were rusting and flaking from just being cheaply made.
So here's another personal example (if these even matter anymore). Back over 10 years ago when I first joined this forum, I had a 1st gen Acura 3.2TL. The stock wheels and tires were 15" 205s, which by today's standards are pretty undersized. I was shopping for wheels for a long time but in the end I bought a set of 17" TSX wheels from a guy on craigslist for $200. This allowed me to increase my tire size to 225 17s.

Can you imagine buying a set of aftermarket wheels for $200? What kind of quality would they be? And the TSX wheels look great on the car. It was definitely an improvement over the hideous stock ones. Fitment was perfect. I did not have to buy any new lugs or plastic hub centric rings.
If you're spending $200 on a set of wheels, you should already be prepared for issues. You seem smarter than that. I don't see why you want to use this situation as support for your argument, though, against all aftermarket wheels; you pay for what you get in the aftermarket industry as a whole.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 08-30-2016 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AZuser
He said it in this thread, post # 59

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal.../#post15827361
yes there it is. I didn't quote him right but close enough