Real or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
Enkei, Rays (Volk), and BBS make many of the OEM wheels on the road today. There are also companies like Advan, and Wedsport that are used in motorsports at high speeds. There are definitely plenty of companies out there if you spend the right money that build wheels as strong or stronger than OEM wheels. There are also many other brands out there today that are total junk making copies of these wheels from major brands as cheaply as possible and they don't hold up well.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
I definitely get your side of the argument. However, I think a lot of this does come down to the manufacturers.

Companies like ADV1, Vossen, etc. are definitely more situated for looks then heavy duty use. But, I wouldn't write off the entire aftermarket world due to some unfortunate experiences. I think companies like BBS, Volk, & Enkei definitely build an aftermarket wheel on par with any OEM wheel which would explain why a lot of manufacturers source them to build their wheels. The wheels on the GS-F/RC-Fs at work for example, are outsourced to BBS (which is why they're $3,000 in-house to replace a set). And I think Enkei has had their hands in all sorts of manufacturer wheels.

Then you have a rare selection of smaller, exotic manufacturers like Mosler (along with a couple Superbike teams) that used Dymag-built wheels on their vehicles.
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Enkei, Rays (Volk), and BBS make many of the OEM wheels on the road today. There are also companies like Advan, and Wedsport that are used in motorsports at high speeds. There are definitely plenty of companies out there if you spend the right money that build wheels as strong or stronger than OEM wheels. There are also many other brands out there today that are total junk making copies of these wheels from major brands as cheaply as possible and they don't hold up well.
I understand that some of the aftermarket manufacturers also make OEM wheels. As a matter of fact, I doubt any of the car manufacturers actually produce any wheels at all. But there are a few big differences between OEM and aftermarket. First of all, OEM wheels generally have a more conservative design. Secondly, there are almost zero government standards on wheels. NHTSA has two size requirements for light duty and heavy duty, but that's it. Any "standard" we have in the US is outlined by SAE, and compliance is entirely voluntary and self-reporting.

I don't know for certain, but I am pretty sure a manufacturer like Honda is going to request that any design Enkei supplies be tested to SAE J2530 standards. Otherwise the liability on the part of Honda could be enormous. This testing is probably significantly reflected in the replacement cost for an OEM wheel (in other words, why ugly stock Honda wheels cost $500+ apiece from the dealer).

But this doesn't mean that Enkei tests all of their designs to J2530 standards. And since there is no requirement that any wheel have any standards aside from the barest dimensional guidelines in order to be sold on the US market, you can't tell what you're getting except for wheel manufacturer's self-reporting and marketing.

Now Japan has their own standard (JWL) and compliance is self-reported. Every alloy wheel sold in Japan has to meet JWL standards, and Japan's regulatory authority does select independent testing (the VIA mark). So Japanese wheel manufacturers have some kind of standard to meet if they are selling wheels in their own market. And RAYs makes a big deal about meeting and exceeding standards. Their testing methodology is well documented on their website and their youtube channel. So maybe that's a higher quality wheel. But I think this is the exception, not the norm.

So in my mind, there's some testing associated with OEM. There's no required testing with aftermarket.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,208 Likes on 692 Posts
Originally Posted by wackjum
I understand that some of the aftermarket manufacturers also make OEM wheels. As a matter of fact, I doubt any of the car manufacturers actually produce any wheels at all. But there are a few big differences between OEM and aftermarket. First of all, OEM wheels generally have a more conservative design. Secondly, there are almost zero government standards on wheels. NHTSA has two size requirements for light duty and heavy duty, but that's it. Any "standard" we have in the US is outlined by SAE, and compliance is entirely voluntary and self-reporting.

I don't know for certain, but I am pretty sure a manufacturer like Honda is going to request that any design Enkei supplies be tested to SAE J2530 standards. Otherwise the liability on the part of Honda could be enormous. This testing is probably significantly reflected in the replacement cost for an OEM wheel (in other words, why ugly stock Honda wheels cost $500+ apiece from the dealer).

But this doesn't mean that Enkei tests all of their designs to J2530 standards. And since there is no requirement that any wheel have any standards aside from the barest dimensional guidelines in order to be sold on the US market, you can't tell what you're getting except for wheel manufacturer's self-reporting and marketing.

Now Japan has their own standard (JWL) and compliance is self-reported. Every alloy wheel sold in Japan has to meet JWL standards, and Japan's regulatory authority does select independent testing (the VIA mark). So Japanese wheel manufacturers have some kind of standard to meet if they are selling wheels in their own market. And RAYs makes a big deal about meeting and exceeding standards. Their testing methodology is well documented on their website and their youtube channel. So maybe that's a higher quality wheel. But I think this is the exception, not the norm.

So in my mind, there's some testing associated with OEM. There's no required testing with aftermarket.
The company boasts a 20 year relationship with McLaren-Honda in Formula 1 & has one of the most iconic aftermarket wheels in the RPF1.

Even if they don't meet that standard, I highly doubt any of their aftermarket wheels are built to anything significantly less reliable than their OEM wheels. They've created a solid reputation for a reason & have their hands in everyone's wheels.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rick_TL-S:
00TL-P3.2 (08-15-2016), csmeance (08-15-2016), TacoBello (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by wackjum

I can respond to all of that by saying dont buy aftermarket wheels that aren't JWL or TUV certified. The point we have been making is your argument is true when recalling crappy aftermarket wheels. Good wheels will be tested. Companies like Weds have their own standards to live up to. In house testing. Look up Weds Replica Warning. They show a replica verse their wheel in one of their impact testing machines in house.
The following 2 users liked this post by usdmJON:
csmeance (08-15-2016), justnspace (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^awesome response!
The following users liked this post:
usdmJON (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I 100% agree with wackjum. OEM parts are designed first and foremost for reliability. Over the years, I've had enough issues with aftermarket parts- expensive ones too- to not want to deal with the hassle much anymore. Do I appreciate aftermarket parts? Totally. Do I like seeing them on people's cars? Absolutely. Do I need them on my cars? Ehhhhhh.... That's where it gets iffy.

I also agree with wackjum's sentiments regarding forged not always being stronger. While yes, the forging process does ensure the metal molecules leave no gaps, as compared to a cast wheel, and their molecules are aligned much better, that's only part of the equation. You also have to consider spoke thickness, barrel thickness, etc, etc. As Jon pointed out, that's where certification comes in.

However, certification shouldn't be interpreted as being the epitome of greatness. Every OEM wheel on every car on the roads is certified by these same groups. Granted, an OEM wheel sold in the US may not have TUV certification, but why would it have to? It's not intended for this market. If it was, it would surely be certified.

Certification is just a minimum standard of safety. If a cast wheel can easily meet certification, and I was a wheel manufacturer producing certified forged wheels, you can bet I'm going to make them as thin and light as possible while still meeting certification. That's what consumers want. They want lightweight. They will get lightweight. That way I have the lightest possible wheel- lighter than cast- that still meets the same certification standard. That doesn't mean it is significantly stronger though.

Now I know Jon will argue that a forged rim generally only bends instead of cracks like a cast wheel, making it repairable. Sure. But here's the thing- there's this thing called Materials Sciences and Materials Engineering which spells out that a particular metal alloy has elastic and plastic limits, amongst other things. While the wheel may still be repairable, that's not to say the impacted spot is just as strong as it was originally.

Long story, short, all I'm saying is the word "forged" does not mean "the ultimate".

Also, while many aftermarket wheels do not have certification, that's not to say they're not as strong as certified wheels. Certification is an expensive process which is ultimately born upon the consumer. Not everyone is available to afford 3000 dollar wheels, and manufacturers know this, so to save consumers quite a bit of money, they skip the certification process. That's not to say all uncertified wheels are good. There are plenty of terrible ones out there.

Last edited by TacoBello; 08-15-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

Oh, and for the record, Jon, I have 19"x9.5" wheels on the front of my car, and 19"x10.5" wheels on the back. And they are forged. And they are OEM. And they are, at least in my tastes, very sexy.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
fake parts, fake passion.... but dont ask me, I wouldnt know
Old 08-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 243 Posts
^is that what you tell her now Jefe??
Old 08-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I 100% agree with wackjum. OEM parts are designed first and foremost for reliability. Over the years, I've had enough issues with aftermarket parts- expensive ones too- to not want to deal with the hassle much anymore. Do I appreciate aftermarket parts? Totally. Do I like seeing them on people's cars? Absolutely. Do I need them on my cars? Ehhhhhh.... That's where it gets iffy.

I also agree with wackjum's sentiments regarding forged not always being stronger. While yes, the forging process does ensure the metal molecules leave no gaps, as compared to a cast wheel, and their molecules are aligned much better, that's only part of the equation. You also have to consider spoke thickness, barrel thickness, etc, etc. As Jon pointed out, that's where certification comes in.

However, certification shouldn't be interpreted as being the epitome of greatness. Every OEM wheel on every car on the roads is certified by these same groups. Granted, an OEM wheel sold in the US may not have TUV certification, but why would it have to? It's not intended for this market. If it was, it would surely be certified.

Certification is just a minimum standard of safety. If a cast wheel can easily meet certification, and I was a wheel manufacturer producing certified forged wheels, you can bet I'm going to make them as thin and light as possible while still meeting certification. That's what consumers want. They want lightweight. They will get lightweight. That way I have the lightest possible wheel- lighter than cast- that still meets the same certification standard. That doesn't mean it is significantly stronger though.

Now I know Jon will argue that a forged rim generally only bends instead of cracks like a cast wheel, making it repairable. Sure. But here's the thing- there's this thing called Materials Sciences and Materials Engineering which spells out that a particular metal alloy has elastic and plastic limits, amongst other things. While the wheel may still be repairable, that's not to say the impacted spot is just as strong as it was originally.

Long story, short, all I'm saying is the word "forged" does not mean "the ultimate".

Also, while many aftermarket wheels do not have certification, that's not to say they're not as strong as certified wheels. Certification is an expensive process which is ultimately born upon the consumer. Not everyone is available to afford 3000 dollar wheels, and manufacturers know this, so to save consumers quite a bit of money, they skip the certification process. That's not to say all uncertified wheels are good. There are plenty of terrible ones out there.
Wackjum made an extremely sweeping statement that aftermarket wheels are inferior to oem wheels im a real world testing. That statement at face value is inaccurate. That is literally the only pointbim trying to make.

A 5 spoke cast wheel may be as strong or stronger than my thinner spoke mesh design. But my mesh design is as strong or stronger than say a type s waffle or other cast mesh design.

Those details werent mentioned in wackjums initial post. Had they been i would have agreed with him. But his statement as he made it was very sweeping.

Its not as simple as all forged are stronger than oem just like it's not as simple as wackjum put it.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
fake parts, fake passion.... but dont ask me, I wouldnt know
If you care about something you wont half ass it. If you use fake parts to save money you are half assing it. People who are passionate about their hobby want to do it correctly.

If you like fake jordans, buy your girl fake jewelry, and ultimately support fake products then thats cool. If you want to be that guy when i ask about his set up and they reply "oh just some reps" then thats all you.

What's funny is you spent money on aftermarket authentic advans. Who are you to oppose what ive said here?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Also. Spoke design keeps getting brought up. My spokes fracturing is the least of my worry. My main worry is the barrel umder daily driving with shit roads. One bad pot hole and you can buckle the lip of a cast barrel. That wont bend back. You must replace the wheel now. A forged barrel can be bent back under a lot of typical pot hole bends. Sure that spot is weaker but you aren't out 200-300 for a whole wheel.

You can get back on the road and replace half the barrel when ready on a 3pc. Lota of specifics talking cast monoblock vs forged monoblock vs forged 2 pc vs forged 3 pc.

Im talking for forged 3pc as that's what i have. The statement against aftermarket wheels encompassed all wheels which made it too sweeping and therefor inaccurate.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Lighter than comparable size wheels, yes... look better IMO at least.
But that's up for interpretation.

And yes, much much stronger. Fck your physics. lmao My wheels are forged splitrims not just some cast monoblocks.

Stronger wouldn't be the best term used as I'm not entirely sure on the give point of cast verse a solid grain. I'd assume the solid grain would hold longer but what I know for sure is cast snaps while forged aluminum bends much further before snapping which makes them far more durable. Further more, they are split rims. The outer barrel and inner barrel are two pieces both separate from the face. Which means in case on part is ruined, most commonly the inner barrel gets bent, you can either attempt to bend it back or just replace the inner barrel. While on a cast wheel it will fracture and you could possible have a major loss of air.

had those same wheels as in your photo years ago. After bending them for the 5th time I gave up.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CLpower
had those same wheels as in your photo years ago. After bending them for the 5th time I gave up.
First and foremost I have to say without any pics any personal experience you have is all "he said she said". But I was taught any good debater takes their opposition at their word. If your wheels bent 5 times then the issue was in the barrels you had. Id ask were they work OE barrels? Were the barrels aftermarket? Because while a lot of you consider it aftermarket, they are OEM within their own company and even parts of an aftermarket wheel can be swapped with aftermarket parts from another company. Now which company is to blame? My Work wheels currently are 100% OEM hardware. I have taken them to the tire shop my friend works at (Americas Tires). A few guys checked them out when I brought them in to have them refinished and they had no signs of past repair, no bends, and these things are fucking old. I'm talking discontinued before the 3G TL was even a thing. So I mean, these wheels have been around for that long, I've been driving on them daily for 2 years now, and no bends. That is a stark difference from your experience.

I will say with absolute confidence that if my forged barrels hit a pot hole bad enough to cause a bend that the same impact to a cast wheel would likely fracture it bad enough to cause a major loss of air while my wheel will still maintain the support it was made to provide. That's the difference between smashing your bumper into the road or not.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
^awesome response!
In case anyone was interested in that PSA Weds made.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:32 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
wasn't knocking on you at all jon, it was more of a inside thing with ulster lol
Old 08-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Team Owner

Jon, you take this wheel stuff way to personally

Old 08-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Team Owner

In case anyone was interested in that PSA Weds made.

Dangerous imitation wheel !! - YouTube
Funny story- it was actually the real Weds wheels in this video that failed, and not the fake ones. Weds screwed up with which one they placed in what spot

Stand back everyone, Jon is about to explode in rage!!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Funny story- it was actually the real Weds wheels in this video that failed, and not the fake ones. Weds screwed up with which one they placed in what spot

Stand back everyone, Jon is about to explode in rage!!
The only thing i take personally is that i cant make an argument without people thinking im all angry. It must be how i form my sentences but it frankly doesnt matter to me if you believe me, ignore me, or think im an idiot. Alls the same here. Im just providing info where i can. Im not an angry person. Im extremely laid back. Throw reps on your car for all i care. Not my whip go ahead and ruin it with shit parts.

... Waits for taco to brag about how he doesnt buy shit parts. Which i know you dont so again, like sickest, no clue why youre arguing with me when you clearly believe in quality shit.

Nothing personal. It was just a dumb claim that aftermarket can't stand up to oem.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:37 PM
Team Owner

You're sound so angry, Jon.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

You're sound so angry, Jon.
lol ugh

p.s. what do your forged oe wheels look like? Pics?
Old 08-17-2016, 06:34 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
First and foremost I have to say without any pics any personal experience you have is all "he said she said". But I was taught any good debater takes their opposition at their word. If your wheels bent 5 times then the issue was in the barrels you had. Id ask were they work OE barrels?
yes, factory OE barrels, and even replaced with more factory OE barrels. Sorry, the wife corrected me, it was 4 sets, not 5. This was 12-14 years ago...don't have pics man. But also have no reason to lie (i'm a guy who has aftermarket wheels on most of his cars).
Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
Vossen

Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
because everyone "needs" 4000$ wheels to go grocery shopping in their econo box
Old 08-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by myron
because everyone "needs" 4000$ wheels to go grocery shopping in their econo box
VRwheels sold my wheels for $1000. Who said $4000?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
VRwheels sold my wheels for $1000. Who said $4000?
and that's great that you knew about them and good deals you can find on there. But not everyone is a car nut and knows all the sites and forums and where else to get a deal. Most of the people buying wheels will go to tire rack or ebay and find something they like and buy it for cheap.

Just on a side note, those 1000$ wheels from that site would have cost me 2250$ CDN just because of shipping and conversions and taxes on importing. Much more than I would be willing to pay for wheels that are gonna go on my DD/bag around town car.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
BBS > all

I remember spending $2500 on a set of 18" on my CLS back in 2001... The brand was.... Dronell.... forged, 2 piece double 7 spokes...

Seriously... for my daily driving, it made no difference other than having $2500 less.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-19-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by myron
and that's great that you knew about them and good deals you can find on there. But not everyone is a car nut and knows all the sites and forums and where else to get a deal. Most of the people buying wheels will go to tire rack or ebay and find something they like and buy it for cheap.

Just on a side note, those 1000$ wheels from that site would have cost me 2250$ CDN just because of shipping and conversions and taxes on importing. Much more than I would be willing to pay for wheels that are gonna go on my DD/bag around town car.
To each their own. You see no point in 2250 wheels. Once I rebuild mine I will have spend more than that on them and I see the worth because I like them. I love walking to my car. I think it looks great. Maybe once a month someone walking into a Walmart sees me park and comments about Work wheels or asks what kind they are. I enjoy that interaction and I typically make new friends that way.

You dont have to be a car nut to know what sites or companies to contact. Whenever I see someone here post about buying new wheels I tell them about VRwheels and Threepiece. There are literally hundreds of companies in Cali alone that will do the same work these guys do; importing, refinishing, and shipping wheels anywhere. Not one person in this forum so far has followed up and purchased from any of them. Not to say no one here buys quality wheels but the people you mention who dont know where to buy still dont buy when they are informed.

It's an on going joke with companies like VR "Oh, you can't find wheels for your price tag but you bought brand new reps? Tell me again where and how long you looked." I bought my wheels off Facebook believe it or not. Joined a group called SCV Wheel Whores. Same group I found some 17in Work wheels for my buddy at only $700. They need refinishing but my buddy bought them as is and never even touched them up. Just runs them and loves them. Work J-Wings cheaper than reps because he just jumped on a facebook group and was patient.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
BBS > all

I remember spending $2500 on a set of 18" on my CLS back in 2001... The brand was.... Dronell.... forged, 2 piece double 7 spokes...

Seriously... for my daily driving, it made no difference other than having $2500 less.
I mean, when you got out of your car and walked around it did you think "damn that looks sick"? When you park and walk away did they make you look back at it? If not then you are right there was no difference than having $2500 less. For me, it changes how I look at my car.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
To each their own. You see no point in 2250 wheels. Once I rebuild mine I will have spend more than that on them and I see the worth because I like them. I love walking to my car. I think it looks great. Maybe once a month someone walking into a Walmart sees me park and comments about Work wheels or asks what kind they are. I enjoy that interaction and I typically make new friends that way.

You dont have to be a car nut to know what sites or companies to contact. Whenever I see someone here post about buying new wheels I tell them about VRwheels and Threepiece. There are literally hundreds of companies in Cali alone that will do the same work these guys do; importing, refinishing, and shipping wheels anywhere. Not one person in this forum so far has followed up and purchased from any of them. Not to say no one here buys quality wheels but the people you mention who dont know where to buy still dont buy when they are informed.

It's an on going joke with companies like VR "Oh, you can't find wheels for your price tag but you bought brand new reps? Tell me again where and how long you looked." I bought my wheels off Facebook believe it or not. Joined a group called SCV Wheel Whores. Same group I found some 17in Work wheels for my buddy at only $700. They need refinishing but my buddy bought them as is and never even touched them up. Just runs them and loves them. Work J-Wings cheaper than reps because he just jumped on a facebook group and was patient.

I mean, when you got out of your car and walked around it did you think "damn that looks sick"? When you park and walk away did they make you look back at it? If not then you are right there was no difference than having $2500 less. For me, it changes how I look at my car.
well yah it looked good but that has nothing to do with the quality of the wheel. You can get the same look with the real, fake or fake of the fake wheels.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
well yah it looked good but that has nothing to do with the quality of the wheel. You can get the same look with the real, fake or fake of the fake wheels.
I disagree. For me it is much more than the look. I KNOW the quality is there. Sure, as you have nicely put it, you dont need that kind of quality in a DD. But to me it is a real upgrade verse just changing the look. The wheels are extremely close the the weight of the smaller OE 17in wheels making them lighter than most 18in aftermarket cast designs, look in my opinion 100x better. And all the forum chatting and picture surfing I have done since I have found an interest in cars I have learned to respect a certain level of prestige associated with companies like BBS, Weds, Work, Volk, etc etc. I pride myself and my "build" in knowing that is the kind of quality parts I want on my car. Whether or not the car needs them to perform is another story. It is a hobby. And the day I have a new hobby is the day I stop caring about all this. And that is fine. But for not that is what makes me happy so that is where I spend my money. I'm sure all when change when I am as old as some of the older guys here with families to support.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
personally I would not trust a company that was not a major manufacturer of wheels. those cheap Chinese knockoffs are not worth the risk. seen a lot of rims come back to Discount tire where the CENTERS were shattered from a pothole impact.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
I'm over here still waiting for a deal on some legit wheels..
Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by teh CL
I'm over here still waiting for a deal on some legit wheels..
Where are you looking?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
sites you mentioned, ebay, FB, stanceworks.com etc etc..
Old 08-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by teh CL
sites you mentioned, ebay, FB, stanceworks.com etc etc..
Do you follow vrwheels and threepiece.us on instagram? They post there so that is really where you want watch out. Imo they post great wheels with great prices all the time. Few weeks ago they had my wheels for nearly the same price i paid 2 years ago. Ive also seen my wheels in slightly better specs for just under 2g from vr recently.

What are you looking for? Price range? Specs? Design?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
this is stupid. i personally have zero problems with people buying replica wheels. i prefer jdm forged wheels but who am i to criticize any who buys a replica as long as they dont rep them as real. thats tacky.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nexx
this is stupid. i personally have zero problems with people buying replica wheels. i prefer jdm forged wheels but who am i to criticize any who buys a replica as long as they dont rep them as real. thats tacky.
What is stupid? Who has a problem? Its an opinion on quality. Get over it.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Blah wheels blah blah blah, OEM blah forged blah blah blah, blah blah Jon mad blah blah replica blah blah bad blah.

/thread.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:27 AM
now with 7 gears

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OEMs can be utter shit quality too. BMW is a prime example with their 19" 296 Vspoke wheels that gave hundreds of owners grief. $65k+ car often with more than one wheel succumbing to multiple major fractures. And it took years and a lawsuit for them to own up to it. https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ked-z4-wheels/

Personally not a fan of aftermarket wheels mostly because a majority of modders don't get the stance right and/or can't figure out the proper offset. But when done right they look great, reps and all. Quality is hit or miss depending on the manufacturer, design, and application. Anecdotally though, I've had way more problems with aftermarkets than OEMs.

Last edited by Viscous; 08-20-2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: URL
Old 08-20-2016, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Viscous
OEMs can be utter shit quality too. BMW is a prime example with their 19" 296 Vspoke wheels that gave hundreds of owners grief. $65k+ car often with more than one wheel succumbing to multiple major fractures. And it took years and a lawsuit for them to own up to it. https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ked-z4-wheels/

Personally not a fan of aftermarket wheels mostly because a majority of modders don't get the stance right and/or can't figure out the proper offset. But when done right they look great, reps and all. Quality is hit or miss depending on the manufacturer, design, and application. Anecdotally though, I've had way more problems with aftermarkets than OEMs.
Ive owned 2 sets of stock wheels and 3 sets of aftermarket, 2 being reps 1 "authentic". Only wheels to ever take damage were 1 of the stocks but not their fault.

You guys must be old as fuck and modding since the dark ages for having had enough wheels give you issues that you have to swear against them. Damn.

Quick Reply: Real or fake?