Nissan Maxima 2004 VS. TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Maxima 2004 VS. TL

OK, I admit I used to own a Maxima prior to my new TL... And I've always thought the Maxima was better as far as engineering (best V-6)... However, I am convinced that the TL is way better now!!

I am a member of a Maxima forum like this one as well. But, they do not allow comparison threads because it's too much trouble than it's worth. However, they do admit that the Acura TL is out of their league!! Why is that?!?! I thought the TLs and Maximas are pretty good comparisons, no? Your thoughts??
Old 07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Maxima's greatest competition comes from the Altima and the G35 - it is in an uncomfortable position between the two. When I was car shopping I compared the G35, not the Maxima.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aegir
I think the Maxima's greatest competition comes from the Altima and the G35 - it is in an uncomfortable position between the two. When I was car shopping I compared the G35, not the Maxima.
I agree. The Maxima, a great car with a storied past, has been made all but irrelevant by Nissan/Infiniti's marketing brilliance. For slightly less money you can get an Altima with the same engine and 90%+ of the features. Or for about the same money (possibly even less) you can get a G35 and step up to Infiniti's customer service...which, in theory, should be better than a Nissan dealer's. Not to mention that what used to be a "4-door sports car" is now a bloated, lumbering family sedan.

Short of the Z, the Maxima is the car people think of when you say Nissan. Why would kill their biggest name plate? Didn't the auto industry learn anything from Acura's knuckleheaded decision to kill the Legend?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Well said, Aegir.

Maxima is the good car, I had one (94 Maxima) before and am sure that car (05) is even better than what I used to know about it. However, Altima his brother is its biggest competitor... how ironic... that's why TL and TSX are still using different engine and setup...

TL.com has different policies about "compare", we allowed comparison. Most of ppl here will help you and do some fair evaluation, you could post it if you like. Yes, it's too much trouble sometimes, but more debate means more truth. If trouble is snowballing, we will shut it down.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I have owned two past Maximas. In total, among the 46 vehicles I have owned, seven have been Honda/Acuras, and six have been Nissan/Infinitis. I currently own a Murano and a TL. I just sold a G35 sedan. I tell you all of this so you know I am not one of these people who thinks there is only one brand you should even consider - you know the type! In addition, I deal with a Chevy/Nissan dealer where I deal directly with the owner, and get treated almost like family (okay - maybe better than some family members).

I recently sold my G35 due to loss of job. I knew I would buy another car as soon as I got a job offer (which I have now). In fact, I sold the G35 to the Chevy/Nissan dealer who is my friend. So frankly, the Maxima would have been the easiest and cheapest car for me to buy to replace the G. I didn't want another G35 for a few reasons, the main reasons that the seats just never felt right to me, and I just am not one to buy another car just like the one I just had.

Having said ALL of that, I boiled my choices down to the Maxima, TL, and Chrysler 300C. The 300C was hard to find, and the dealers were a pain in the ass to work with (very proud of the 300C right now). So I never even drove one.

I drove the Maxima and TL. Two things kept me from buying the Maxima. The styling inside and out just wasn't to my liking. For some reason, I could live with the styling on the Murano, but not the Maxima. Especially the interior. I just wanted something a little classier and more mature. I guess on the Murano, I considered wierdness to be an asset to help offset that I was buying a SUV (it's actually my wife's driver).

The other thing about the Maxima that really struck me was big time torque steer due to the FWD. I really don't want FWD to begin with, but it is exceptionally well controlled on the TL, but not the Maxima.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:34 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

My 96 Maxima was the single most reliable car I've every owned. I've had numerous toyotas and hondas but the Maxima was BY FAR the most reliable vehicle I've every had. Had one leak at 100k miles and that was it. No rattles, mechanical failures, etc... With that said, the Maximas now are not made in Japan. It is made in a plant in Tennessee and quality problems have arisen. (BTW, the 4th gen Maximas were more reliable than the Accord and Camry of the same year).

The TL beats the Maxima in every category except straight line speed and space. Driver's race in a straight line (14.2 stock from Max.org) and it is now HUGE compared to the TL. You thought the G35 interiors were cheap...I think the Maxima is worse. In fact, I think the upgraded Alty is better looking inside than the Maxima. The TL blows the other two away. The TL is also the best handling FWD car with a v6 (sorry but type Rs will KILL a TL in twisties). Go for a test drive and I think you will wonder how Nissan can even sell the Maximas. BTW, I was very upset with the introduction of the 6th gen Maxima. No more 4DSC
Old 07-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

In my opinion those new M45 infinitys blow a lot of the competion away. They look real nice.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
In my opinion those new M45 infinitys blow a lot of the competion away. They look real nice.

Agree, but I hope it could be more Fuga-like...
Old 07-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Compare Nissan to Honda, Kia, Ford, and Toyota as they're non-luxury brands.

Compare Acura's to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. Luxury brands. There are plenty of cars that are less expensive than the TL that have four doors and four wheels and beefy engines. They're still not luxury cars.

BJ
Old 07-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Cruisin'

When I was shopping for a car in May 04, Maxima was my first choice despite the orange LCD display. The choice was based on the financial planning/constraints and to get the best value for the buck (including performance, space, etc., etc. etc.).

However, when I went to a Acura dealer and test drove the TL, somehow getting an extra $3200 loan wasn't even an issue for me. In other words I listened to my heart than my brain and don't regret the decision a bit Now, what regret it once in a blue moon is that why didn't I go for the Navi, but then tell myself that that was too much money for something I will use probably 2-3 time a year.

I think Maxima is the second best choice in the market right now to TL, set aside the price difference. I just don't like the looks of G35. Too funky for my taste.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The Maxima's engine is still superior in so much as there is more usable torque and power for daily driving, seemingly making the car feel quicker and thus more powerful than the VTEC V6.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EZZ
My 96 Maxima was the single most reliable car I've every owned. I've had numerous toyotas and hondas but the Maxima was BY FAR the most reliable vehicle I've every had. Had one leak at 100k miles and that was it. No rattles, mechanical failures, etc... With that said, the Maximas now are not made in Japan. It is made in a plant in Tennessee and quality problems have arisen. (BTW, the 4th gen Maximas were more reliable than the Accord and Camry of the same year).

The TL beats the Maxima in every category except straight line speed and space. Driver's race in a straight line (14.2 stock from Max.org) and it is now HUGE compared to the TL. You thought the G35 interiors were cheap...I think the Maxima is worse. In fact, I think the upgraded Alty is better looking inside than the Maxima. The TL blows the other two away. The TL is also the best handling FWD car with a v6 (sorry but type Rs will KILL a TL in twisties). Go for a test drive and I think you will wonder how Nissan can even sell the Maximas. BTW, I was very upset with the introduction of the 6th gen Maxima. No more 4DSC
The stock TL A-spec ran a 14.0 in Road&Track not too long ago ... but I get what you're saying now -- driver's race. Touche.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

I think as far as engine and performance is concerned, I still like the Maximas. But, it's a shame what they have done in luxury/comfort/and looks of the car... TL blows away in those 3, but their engine/performance is to be admired...
Old 07-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The Maxima's engine is still superior in so much as there is more usable torque and power for daily driving, seemingly making the car feel quicker and thus more powerful than the VTEC V6.
Are you sure you're not thinking of an S2000 and not a TL? If you don't think the TL has enough "usable torque and power for daily driving", I think there is something wrong.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:40 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The stock TL A-spec ran a 14.0 in Road&Track not too long ago ... but I get what you're saying now -- driver's race. Touche.
I agree all Maximas 2002-04 and 2002-2004 TLS/TL are quite close in accelleration(manual and auto). Your right the Max makes use of it power much better down low/mid which helps it roll out faster in everday driving, you would know you have both.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by missmyprelude
Are you sure you're not thinking of an S2000 and not a TL? If you don't think the TL has enough "usable torque and power for daily driving", I think there is something wrong.
Well he drives both an 03 Max and 04 TL, so thats probably where his comparison is coming from.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Instructor

jjsC5,

I also own a Murano and TL and have also owned 2 maximas a 98 speed and a 03 6speed. I loved the Murano style immediately and thought the interior was pretty good compared to other new Nissan products at the time, wife also drives this car . My 03 was pretty good except for the warped rotors at 12k and excessive wind noise in the rear window they could never fix. I was waitiing for the wife while she was at the dr one day and randomly test drove the TL. I was just blown away by everything about the car especially the stereo and interior layout. Exterior is not too shabby either . I bought the car and traded in the max the next day. I don't know what nissan did to the current max but it doesn't feel like a Maxima anymore feels like a big hauler not a 4dsc
Old 07-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by boltjames
Compare Nissan to Honda, Kia, Ford, and Toyota as they're non-luxury brands.

Compare Acura's to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. Luxury brands. There are plenty of cars that are less expensive than the TL that have four doors and four wheels and beefy engines. They're still not luxury cars.

BJ

" Compare Acura's to BMW , Mercedes , Lexus ... " sorry pal , it might be near to them but it's not in the same category .
Old 07-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I traded my 1995 Maxima for my 2004 TL. The Maxima was a wonderful car, very reliable,
great in the snow, etc. It had 150,000 miles on it when I bought my TL.

As much as I loved the Maxima, when I saw the 2004, I thought it was ugly. And then I
did a quick price comparison. It was very close in price to the TL.

Anyway, the TL seems like a nice step up from the Maxima . . . and I love it!

Rachel
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by achadha100
jjsC5,

I also own a Murano and TL and have also owned 2 maximas a 98 speed and a 03 6speed. I loved the Murano style immediately and thought the interior was pretty good compared to other new Nissan products at the time, wife also drives this car . My 03 was pretty good except for the warped rotors at 12k and excessive wind noise in the rear window they could never fix. I was waitiing for the wife while she was at the dr one day and randomly test drove the TL. I was just blown away by everything about the car especially the stereo and interior layout. Exterior is not too shabby either . I bought the car and traded in the max the next day. I don't know what nissan did to the current max but it doesn't feel like a Maxima anymore feels like a big hauler not a 4dsc
Interesting. Sounds like we feel about the same. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:37 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

jjsC5,

I also own a Murano...
achadha100 and jjsC5,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the Murano that uses the CVT transmission? I have never actually driven in one, but I am curious as to how it feels driving a vehicle without any gear shifting.

What was your impression of this technology?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Instructor

At first it feels wierd kinda of sluggish at take off. But once it gets going it really takes off. I normally drive in D mode but when I drive in D(s) mode that is where the fun begins. This mode is similar to overdrive off where the rpms stay high, joy to drive especially in mountain roads. The murano is a very fun suv to drive and I lov the handling
Old 07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
10th Gear

I test drove a 2004 Max and it felt ok on the road (I didn't tear the street up by any means so I really couldn't base this on handling) but the orange back lights and the not so classy interior is what did me in. I love the TL styling both inside and out and I will just have to wait a couple more months for an 05. I figured if I waited this long, might as well wait a little longer to get the newest TL on the market. (plus waiting for them to fix bugs ... tire, memory seats, liner, etc ... you know)
Old 07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

At first it feels wierd kinda of sluggish at take off. But once it gets going it really takes off. I normally drive in D mode but when I drive in D(s) mode that is where the fun begins. This mode is similar to overdrive off where the rpms stay high, joy to drive especially in mountain roads. The murano is a very fun suv to drive and I lov the handling
I'd have to agree with this. You find yourself "bracing" for the gear change that never comes. It's very easy to drive smoothly. Nailing it from 45 - 50 feels very strong. Also, gas mileage is pretty good. We average right at 20mpg - better than my G35 did with basically the same engine and less weight.

I think the jury is still out on CVT's. My biggest gripe is acceleration from a dead stop (as he indicated). If does feel artifically soft. I even wonder if there is a "torque management" from a dead stop to save stresses on the "transmission". Overall though, a pretty good package. A six speed automatic with the benefit of a torque converter may be a better solution though.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the Maxima and the TL, but heard too many complaints (from friends that own it and others that rented it from Enterprise) that the Maxima had a helluva turning circle. It's grown too big and the engine doesn't do for it what it used to (the Altima has taken over as the stealth family sedan).

I never drove the Maxima but could have should timing been different (ie: delay in selling last car).
Old 07-27-2004, 04:23 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
I like the Maxima and the TL, but heard too many complaints (from friends that own it and others that rented it from Enterprise) that the Maxima had a helluva turning circle. It's grown too big and the engine doesn't do for it what it used to (the Altima has taken over as the stealth family sedan).

I never drove the Maxima but could have should timing been different (ie: delay in selling last car).
Okay, from someone who actually does own a 2004 Maxima (and is planning to add a TL to the stable soon), the Maxima is a better car than some give it credit for being. I now have 18,000 trouble-free miles on mine, and I think it's a hoot to drive. And my other car is a 2003 BMW 540i (my third one), so I know a little about performance and handling.

The turning radius on the Max is 40.0 ft. ... the TL's is 39.7 ft. That's a difference of 3.6 inches (big whoop). Suffice to say they're both hogs when it comes to turning tight. The Beemer will turn with well over 2 feet left over compared to either one.

The Maxima has 5hp less than the TL, but it has a good bit more torque, so let's say they're both quick cars. Car & Driver gets them to 60mph .2 sec. apart, with the TL winning. They're both FWD, so that's a toss (some good about that, some not-so-good). The Max has more interior room and a larger trunk and gas tank. The TL has a nicer interior and a better sound system. You can get a loaded Maxima cheaper than a TL. Neither car is a 4DSC (and frankly, the Maxima never was one. That was nothing but a marketing/advertising gimmick. Sports cars and 4dr sedans are two different things, period.)

Bottom line: The Maxima is less edgy performance-wise and more edgy styling-wise than the TL. Both are dang nice cars and will get you there in style and comfort. It's human nature to knock the competition's stuff, but don't knock the Maxima until you drive a few thousand miles in its shoes.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 04:27 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Okay, from someone who actually does own a 2004 Maxima (and is planning to add a TL to the stable soon), the Maxima is a better car than some give it credit for being. I now have 18,000 trouble-free miles on mine, and I think it's a hoot to drive. And my other car is a 2003 BMW 540i (my third one), so I know a little about performance and handling.

The turning radius on the Max is 40.0 ft. ... the TL's is 39.7 ft. That's a difference of 3.6 inches (big whoop). Suffice to say they're both hogs when it comes to turning tight. The Beemer will turn with well over 2 feet left over compared to either one.

The Maxima has 5hp less than the TL, but it has a good bit more torque, so let's say they're both quick cars. Car & Driver gets them to 60mph .2 sec. apart, with the TL winning. They're both FWD, so that's a toss (some good about that, some not-so-good). The Max has more interior room and a larger trunk and gas tank. The TL has a nicer interior and a better sound system. You can get a loaded Maxima cheaper than a TL. Neither car is a 4DSC (and frankly, the Maxima never was one. That was nothing but a marketing/advertising gimmick. Sports cars and 4dr sedans are two different things, period.)

Bottom line: The Maxima is less edgy performance-wise and more edgy styling-wise than the TL. Both are dang nice cars and will get you there in style and comfort. It's human nature to knock the competition's stuff, but don't knock the Maxima until you drive a few thousand miles in its shoes.

Mike
The Maxima was the 4dsc. I can prove it because it says so on the window! Hey Mike, what defines a sports car? Would you classify your 540 a sports car? An M5?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:30 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I'd have to agree with this. You find yourself "bracing" for the gear change that never comes. It's very easy to drive smoothly. Nailing it from 45 - 50 feels very strong. Also, gas mileage is pretty good. We average right at 20mpg - better than my G35 did with basically the same engine and less weight.

I think the jury is still out on CVT's. My biggest gripe is acceleration from a dead stop (as he indicated). If does feel artifically soft. I even wonder if there is a "torque management" from a dead stop to save stresses on the "transmission". Overall though, a pretty good package. A six speed automatic with the benefit of a torque converter may be a better solution though.
achadha100 and jjsC5,

Thank you both for the review. I became interested in th CVT technology when I first heard of it. I think I might just wait for version 2.0 until I throw any money at it.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:57 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Maxima was the 4dsc. I can prove it because it says so on the window! Hey Mike, what defines a sports car? Would you classify your 540 a sports car? An M5?
No, the 540 isn't a sports car, and neither is the M5 (which is a cool high-performance sedan).

I think the classic definition of sports car would have to be a lightweight 2-door, 2-seater vehicle, usually a droptop, designed for handling and/or short-course racing. In the Olden Days, that would be something like a Triumph TR3 or an Austin-Healy Sprite, but it later morphed into goodies like the Porsche 911 and 944 and then into overweight, high-powered vehicles like the 'Vette and Lambo Murcielago. But I repeat - the Maxima was never a sports car. Nissan has some sports cars, but the Max ain't one of them and never has been.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lindros2
It's grown too big and the engine doesn't do for it what it used to (the Altima has taken over as the stealth family sedan).

Actually I must take issue with you regarding the engine. The Maxima FEELS quicker than the TL. As others have mentioned, it's low and mid range torque make it very responsive. I have already stated my opinion on the car overall, but the engine is very strong. Acceleration is not a problem!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Banned

No, the 540 isn't a sports car, and neither is the M5 (which is a cool high-performance sedan).

I think the classic definition of sports car would have to be a lightweight 2-door, 2-seater vehicle, usually a droptop, designed for handling and/or short-course racing. In the Olden Days, that would be something like a Triumph TR3 or an Austin-Healy Sprite, but it later morphed into goodies like the Porsche 911 and 944 and then into overweight, high-powered vehicles like the 'Vette and Lambo Murcielago. But I repeat - the Maxima was never a sports car. Nissan has some sports cars, but the Max ain't one of them and never has been.

Mike
The Maxima was a 4 door sports car. This was back in the 89-94 years. You can't deny it, because it was and it was rated that way by many magazines at the time as well.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Mike
First off, I like the look of the Maxima. Very athletic and aggressive. Well designed.

Next, you just can't compare the TL to the Maxima. They're not in the same class. One is an upgraded basic car and the other a luxury car. Someone can tell me until they're blue in the face that the Ford Focus is as exciting to drive as the BMW 3, but in the end, it's not a BMW, it's a Ford.

The Maxima is a nice Nissan. Its natural competition would be the Honda Accord v6, not the TL.

BJ
Old 07-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

First off, I like the look of the Maxima. Very athletic and aggressive. Well designed.

Next, you just can't compare the TL to the Maxima. They're not in the same class. One is an upgraded basic car and the other a luxury car. Someone can tell me until they're blue in the face that the Ford Focus is as exciting to drive as the BMW 3, but in the end, it's not a BMW, it's a Ford.

The Maxima is a nice Nissan. Its natural competition would be the Honda Accord v6, not the TL.

BJ
You are welcome to your opinion, but I think it is not acurate. The TL is the upgraded version of the Accord, and the Maxima is the upgraded version of the Altima. The Altima is a direct competitor to the Accord.

Now, you may be surprised, but I will agree with you that the Acura is the much better choice, and as I pointed out earlier, that's why I chose it over the Maxima. But I really do think they are pretty natural competitors.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

BJ
Hmmmm ... which one is the"upgraded basic car"? The TL is (and I know you guys hate for anyone to say this, but) an Accord at its heart. It's built on the Accord platform. The Maxima is built on Nissan's FF-L platform, which is used for everything from the 350Z to the Murano back down to the Altima. So in the end, the TL is a Honda and the Maxima is a Nissan ... big deal. The TL could certainly do worse than to have the Accord as its daddy.

The TL and the Maxima are indeed directly comparable because they're both in the same size class (which the Accord is not), they're both FWD, they're both designed to be V-6 powered, they're in the same price range, and they're both "performance sedans". I've already acknowledged that the TL has a nicer interior, but it takes more than that to distinguish a car as a "luxury car". Now, my BMW would be considered a mid-size luxury car (which, at $57,000 list it should be ), but $34,000 isn't luxury territory.

I think maybe you're just saying that you consider the TL a classier car and more luxurious than the Maxima, and I don't have any problem with that. Heck. I've also already said I intend to get one, so I obviously like 'em, too.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmm ... which one is the"upgraded basic car"? The TL is (and I know you guys hate for anyone to say this, but) an Accord at its heart. It's built on the Accord platform. The Maxima is built on Nissan's FF-L platform, which is used for everything from the 350Z to the Murano back down to the Altima. So in the end, the TL is a Honda and the Maxima is a Nissan ... big deal. The TL could certainly do worse than to have the Accord as its daddy.

The TL and the Maxima are indeed directly comparable because they're both in the same size class (which the Accord is not), they're both FWD, they're both designed to be V-6 powered, they're in the same price range, and they're both "performance sedans". I've already acknowledged that the TL has a nicer interior, but it takes more than that to distinguish a car as a "luxury car". Now, my BMW would be considered a mid-size luxury car (which, at $57,000 list it should be ), but $34,000 isn't luxury territory.

I think maybe you're just saying that you consider the TL a classier car and more luxurious than the Maxima, and I don't have any problem with that. Heck. I've also already said I intend to get one, so I obviously like 'em, too.

Mike
Mike, I agree with all of your commentary, but must correct you on one thing. The Maxima is not on the same platform as the 350Z. Nissan/Infiniti uses the same platform for the 350Z, G35 and FX (and next years M35/45). These are rear wheel drive with a "Front-mid engine" configuration. The Altima, Murano and Maxima share a completely different front wheel drive platform (I guess the I35 is still kicking around on the old version of the Maxima platform as well, but not the new version).
Old 07-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have owned two past Maximas. In total, among the 46 vehicles I have owned, seven have been Honda/Acuras, and six have been Nissan/Infinitis. I currently own a Murano and a TL. I just sold a G35 sedan. I tell you all of this so you know I am not one of these people who thinks there is only one brand you should even consider - you know the type! In addition, I deal with a Chevy/Nissan dealer where I deal directly with the owner, and get treated almost like family (okay - maybe better than some family members).

I recently sold my G35 due to loss of job. I knew I would buy another car as soon as I got a job offer (which I have now). In fact, I sold the G35 to the Chevy/Nissan dealer who is my friend. So frankly, the Maxima would have been the easiest and cheapest car for me to buy to replace the G. I didn't want another G35 for a few reasons, the main reasons that the seats just never felt right to me, and I just am not one to buy another car just like the one I just had.

Having said ALL of that, I boiled my choices down to the Maxima, TL, and Chrysler 300C. The 300C was hard to find, and the dealers were a pain in the ass to work with (very proud of the 300C right now). So I never even drove one.

I drove the Maxima and TL. Two things kept me from buying the Maxima. The styling inside and out just wasn't to my liking. For some reason, I could live with the styling on the Murano, but not the Maxima. Especially the interior. I just wanted something a little classier and more mature. I guess on the Murano, I considered wierdness to be an asset to help offset that I was buying a SUV (it's actually my wife's driver).

The other thing about the Maxima that really struck me was big time torque steer due to the FWD. I really don't want FWD to begin with, but it is exceptionally well controlled on the TL, but not the Maxima.

Hope this helps.
Funny you mention the Murano. While out car shopping back in May 04, the Murano was my first choice until I saw and drove our TL. The Murano actually rode better to me than the SL Max we drove. Having said that, Murano would have been my choce had I not bought the TL
Old 07-27-2004, 11:27 PM

You are welcome to your opinion, but I think it is not acurate. The TL is the upgraded version of the Accord, and the Maxima is the upgraded version of the Altima. The Altima is a direct competitor to the Accord.

Now, you may be surprised, but I will agree with you that the Acura is the much better choice, and as I pointed out earlier, that's why I chose it over the Maxima. But I really do think they are pretty natural competitors.
Well said and very true, they really have been for years, neither really has a direct competitor except each other. They are the sportiest options in a FWD/Sporty sedan layout from Japan and have been compared together since the Vigor.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I drive luxury cars. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Nissan. I feel proud in my Acuras.

Sony makes a great TV. Much of its componentry can be traced to factories that manufacture Coby boomboxes and Cyberhome DVD players. While the Coby and Cyberhome products may function properly and serve as adequate in the fidelity department, they're not Sony. Not going to command a premium price. Not going to make your friends drool.

In the end, the manufacturer wins this debate on my behalf- if Nissan had intended for the Maxima to be a luxury car, they'd have made it an Infiniti.

BJ
Old 07-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have to admit that I visit this board a LOT less often now because of the seemingly endless "TL vs. XXXX" threads that turn into childish pissing matches halfway down the first page, usually because XXXX = M-B E55, Ferrari F50 or something like that. Thanks for keeping this one civil and intelligent.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:06 AM
AcurAdmirer

I drive luxury cars. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Nissan. I feel proud in my Acuras.

Sony makes a great TV. Much of its componentry can be traced to factories that manufacture Coby boomboxes and Cyberhome DVD players. While the Coby and Cyberhome products may function properly and serve as adequate in the fidelity department, they're not Sony. Not going to command a premium price. Not going to make your friends drool.

In the end, the manufacturer wins this debate on my behalf- if Nissan had intended for the Maxima to be a luxury car, they'd have made it an Infiniti.

BJ
Hey, BJ, I respect your feelings about your car. It's important to be proud of your stuff and hopefully most of us feel the same way about our rides.

Mike

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima 2004 VS. TL