Nissan Maxima 2004 VS. TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 02:25 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
There is no way an stock altima V6 with the 4 speed auto will beat a 04TL/or 02-03 TLS. I raced my cousins 02 SE v6 auto altima on many occasions in my TL-S. From numerous races, its apparent that the 4speed auto kills that car. Till 40 mph its somewhat close, but after than I started walking him pretty hard. By 100 mph, I had about 2 or 3 car lengths on him.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k2SilverTL-S
There is no way an stock altima V6 with the 4 speed auto will beat a 04TL/or 02-03 TLS. I raced my cousins 02 SE v6 auto altima on many occasions in my TL-S. From numerous races, its apparent that the 4speed auto kills that car. Till 40 mph its somewhat close, but after than I started walking him pretty hard. By 100 mph, I had about 2 or 3 car lengths on him.
So, which part of NJ are you in? :P
Old 08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BTW, no one should sleep on the new Suburu Legacy. Stylish and quality filled inside and out, some more great competition.
As a new rule, no one should sleep on ANY of the Subaru 2.5L turbos (STi, Forrester XT, Legacy 2.5GT and Outback 2.5L turbo). They all run 13s stock, have AWD, good build quality and sticker under $30G (exc. Outback, I think)!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

LISTEN!!! I didn't realize I opened a can of worms!!!

But, some of you guys are getting ridiculous!! Belive it or not, this thread was not comparing Manufacturers! Of course, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and Infiniti are all in the Luxury Brand line... Acura line can not compete against these guys!! BUT, specifically, I believe the TL can compete with a specific model in their line (though one of the lowest models, but still comparable)...

I owned a Maxima and I believed that it was a cheaper man's version if the Infiniti I30 (which is I35 now). But, when you look for cars that can compare to the TL, you have to consider the Nissan Maxima, Infiniti I35, G35, BMW 3 series (not M3), Lexus ES330, GS300, and etc...

You can't compare the Acura name to the names of these other Luxury brands! You can compare the car to a specific model, though... I actually looked and compared to the models listed above and decided to go with the TL... main reason? Best Bang for the Buck! =)
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I'm up in Bergen County (Ridgewood). If you ever around and want to do a friendly run send me a PM........your choice....04 or 02 TLS
Old 08-02-2004, 02:45 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
As a new rule, no one should sleep on ANY of the Subaru 2.5L turbos (STi, Forrester XT, Legacy 2.5GT and Outback 2.5L turbo). They all run 13s stock, have AWD, good build quality and sticker under $30G (exc. Outback, I think)!!!
I know, while Acura sits back and develops the world's most efficient engines, Subaru says "screw all the engine development stuff." Instead of spending money developing engines they just keep crappy 4's and turbo the hell out of them, saving money for other things like AWD and such
Old 08-02-2004, 04:38 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
all of our threads should be like this where everyboyd gets along...

i give points to ISICKLEX for not being an ass :P

just joking man lol even though yo ass gave me neg points over @a-cl
Old 08-02-2004, 05:39 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NightRider
I know, while Acura sits back and develops the world's most efficient engines, Subaru says "screw all the engine development stuff." Instead of spending money developing engines they just keep crappy 4's and turbo the hell out of them, saving money for other things like AWD and such
Acura's design philosophy seems at odds with building a product line aimed at the "true" luxury buyer. Lets look at BMW and Mercedes as an example. Their luxury line includes the 7 series in a v8/v12 and the E or S class with a v8/v12. Luxury buyers for the most part probably don't care about gas costs compared to most average buyers, yet Acura seems to be catering to the gas conscious buyer. Lexus and Infiniti also for the most part have gas guzzlers that make up most of their entire product line (Even Lexus' smallest car the IS, guzzles gas compared to the TL). It seems that Acura is happy in its niche role serving the near luxury customer.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2k2SilverTL-S
I'm up in Bergen County (Ridgewood). If you ever around and want to do a friendly run send me a PM........your choice....04 or 02 TLS
Whenever you head to Etown, let me know. Also, bring either. I'm pretty confident against both.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:08 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Why not save yourself a seizure and put me on your ignore list? And if you cannot handle people talking about facts from other car-makers, perhaps you should stay away from the mall and other places where multiple races, age groups etc. that don't have the same items as you. This includes the internet.

Or if you tell BoltJames stop spewing his fact-less, blind, biased, arrogant views, us Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, etc etc guys would not have to post facts.
Two things Mr. Sick ClubLex:

1. Why is it that you argue for free speech on the internet yet shut down every acura-tl.com member who joins the ClubLexus forum you moderate? If the Mods here treated you outsiders on the 'free speech' internet the way you treat visitors to your forum, we'd have none of this nonsense now would we? A bit hypocritical, dontcha think?

2. Arrogance? I wholeheartedly admit that Lexus is a superior brand to Acura. Years of design and marketing neglect have left Acura's once proud leadership position in the dust. I merely point out that Lexus, while better than Acura, is no way in the league of BMW and Mercedes Benz. How exactly is that arrogant?

Looking forward to my membership on ClubLexus. Let me know when you'll let me join and stick around for a few hundred posts in the ES330 subforum. Or are you going to continue to play the black kettle to the black pot?

BJ
Old 08-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boltjames

1. Why is it that you argue for free speech on the internet yet shut down every acura-tl.com member who joins the ClubLexus forum you moderate? If the Mods here treated you outsiders on the 'free speech' internet the way you treat visitors to your forum, we'd have none of this nonsense now would we? A bit hypocritical, dontcha think?

2. Arrogance? I wholeheartedly admit that Lexus is a superior brand to Acura. Years of design and marketing neglect have left Acura's once proud leadership position in the dust. I merely point out that Lexus, while better than Acura, is no way in the league of BMW and Mercedes Benz. How exactly is that arrogant?

Looking forward to my membership on ClubLexus. Let me know when you'll let me join and stick around for a few hundred posts in the ES330 subforum. Or are you going to continue to play the black kettle to the black pot?

BJ
1) Have you looked in the mirror lately?

2) Acura has never lead.

And lastly once you grow up, maybe then you won't get banned from other forums. You should have already been banned from this one a long time ago.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD

2) Acura has never lead.

Acura led (spelled correctly for Mr. Infinity) in the mid to late Eighties when they invented the category. As 49 year old, you should remember this.

BJ
Old 08-03-2004, 03:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by EZZ
I've never bought a BMW or Mercedes so kiss my a$$

I find it funny that people praise the bang-for-the-buck the TL provides and get so defensive about Acura not being as prestigious as BMW
Doesn't that prove his point that you relate high price to luxury? Ever read "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

I bet that you believe "You get what you pay for."

Hop over to the M-B and BNW forums and you will meet a lot of folks who don't think they did.

Yes. If I were a M-B or BMW salesman, I would love to see someone with that mindset walk through the door.

XP
Old 08-03-2004, 03:58 AM
Advanced

i have always been a nissan owner, still have my twinturbo 300zx right now, maxmia and the TL was my hardest choice this year while i was looking for a family sedan, but i didnt like the front design of the maxmia, either the interior dash board, the gap between the dash board and the front windshield makes me want to place all my changes around it. the power was not bad, but after all these, i am down with the 2004 TL only, too bad in canada WE DONT HAVE 6 SPEED NAVI, FUCK!!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Doesn't that prove his point that you relate high price to luxury? Ever read "The Emperor's New Clothes"?

I bet that you believe "You get what you pay for."

Hop over to the M-B and BNW forums and you will meet a lot of folks who don't think they did.

Yes. If I were a M-B or BMW salesman, I would love to see someone with that mindset walk through the door.

XP
As I said before, prestige isn't important to me so BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus nameplates never really impressed me (I am however impressed by certain cars in their lineup). I do however believe that you DO get what you pay for because the market sets the price. The BMW 3 series sells with a premium however, it does sell very well so you can conclude that the market will bear the price. If prestige is important to you, then the brand experience (such as snob factor) of owning a Mercedes is worth the high price. If Acura were to try and compete at that price point, it would get slaughtered because it doesn't have the brand equity to compete in that market segment. It is going after the value conscious, near luxury market segment and to try and argue that the Acura name has as much prestige as the other marquee nameplates is absolutely stupid. Best-bang-for-the-buck is the opposite of luxury (as luxury connotates prestige and exclusivity).
Old 08-03-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
all of our threads should be like this where everyboyd gets along...

i give points to ISICKLEX for not being an ass :P

just joking man lol even though yo ass gave me neg points over @a-cl
U get points here
Old 08-03-2004, 09:32 AM

BJ
1. Well I rarely close threads but will back up my fellow moderators if they decide 2. The issue lies not when people argue facts there but when Acura/Honda fan-boys take things all personal and attack people and make asinine statements.
2. From my readings Lexus is in their leauge. Superior quality, similar features, cheaper price, more vehicles sold etc. But Lexus is a distant 3rd, no AMG/M, the heritage is missing, no halo cars, no vast product line.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by EZZ
As I said before, prestige isn't important to me so BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus nameplates never really impressed me (I am however impressed by certain cars in their lineup). I do however believe that you DO get what you pay for because the market sets the price. The BMW 3 series sells with a premium however, it does sell very well so you can conclude that the market will bear the price. If prestige is important to you, then the brand experience (such as snob factor) of owning a Mercedes is worth the high price. If Acura were to try and compete at that price point, it would get slaughtered because it doesn't have the brand equity to compete in that market segment. It is going after the value conscious, near luxury market segment and to try and argue that the Acura name has as much prestige as the other marquee nameplates is absolutely stupid. Best-bang-for-the-buck is the opposite of luxury (as luxury connotates prestige and exclusivity).
Good post.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Pro

Acura led (spelled correctly for Mr. Infinity) in the mid to late Eighties when they invented the category. As 49 year old, you should remember this.

BJ
uhh, that would be spelled 'Infiniti' and though the Lexus (ES250, LS400) hit the scene a couple of years following Acura (Integra, Legend), the Lexus brand recognition and reputation exceeded Acura soon after.

Just my $.02 here: I will say that Honda has Acura positioned so that there really is no outright "direct" Lexus (or Infiniti) competitor (read: niche). In this segment, the ES330 is kind of the TL's closest competition but gives up quite a bit in performance when compared with the TL (esp. TL 6MT option) AND the ES is measurably plusher than the TL.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
uhh, that would be spelled 'Infiniti' and though the Lexus (ES250, LS400) hit the scene a couple of years following Acura (Integra, Legend), the Lexus brand recognition and reputation exceeded Acura soon after.

Just my $.02 here: I will say that Honda has Acura positioned so that there really is no outright "direct" Lexus (or Infiniti) competitor (read: niche). In this segment, the ES330 is kind of the TL's closest competition but gives up quite a bit in performance when compared with the TL (esp. TL 6MT option) AND the ES is measurably plusher than the TL.
Right, there is no doubt Acura came first and the original Legend won Import car of the Year and IMO a great car. The integra is not a luxury anything like the RSX is not a luxury anything. I agree with the niche, Acura is damn good presently filling them.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Banned

BJ
I had a feeling you would do that. And you misspelled Infiniti wrong again like usual. So I was actually testing you. Owned.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you missed the part of me debating with BoltJames.
The question is, WHY are you debating with him?

You have twice as many posts in this forum as I do. Which isn't a big deal in and of itself, except I ACTUALLY DRIVE A TL. Most of my posts, shock of shocks, relate to the TL buying and driving experience, asking questions about the car, answering questions for others, commenting on the TL EXPERIENCE in general. What are most of your posts about? Bashing the TL and bashing Acura and all sorts of other irrelevant, non-TL-driver stuff. You come off envious, childish, ridiculous, and pathetically in need of something else to do with your time.

I do not post in any other forum. I don't even visit them. Why would I? And even if I did, say for example if I really liked some other car that I don't personally drive, I certainly wouldn't have 2,200+ posts there.

Get a life. Get a hobby. Get laid. When you claim to be so much smarter and more diplomatic and more in tune with car facts than BJ, you only look that much more moronic for arguing with him. I've got news for you, brother: he's laughing his ass off at you, because he's far more intelligent than you evidently comprehend and he pushes your buttons like mad.

Now go take a few laps in that beat-up old Lexus of yours and leave us alone.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TLGator

You have twice as many posts in this forum as I do. Which isn't a big deal in and of itself, except I ACTUALLY DRIVE A TL. Most of my posts, shock of shocks, relate to the TL buying and driving experience, asking questions about the car, answering questions for others, commenting on the TL EXPERIENCE in general. What are most of your posts about? Bashing the TL and bashing Acura and all sorts of other irrelevant, non-TL-driver stuff. You come off envious, childish, ridiculous, and pathetically in need of something else to do with your time.

I do not post in any other forum. I don't even visit them. Why would I? And even if I did, say for example if I really liked some other car that I don't personally drive, I certainly wouldn't have 2,200+ posts there.

Get a life. Get a hobby. Get laid. When you claim to be so much smarter and more diplomatic and more in tune with car facts than BJ, you only look that much more moronic for arguing with him. I've got news for you, brother: he's laughing his ass off at you, because he's far more intelligent than you evidently comprehend and he pushes your buttons like mad.

Actually, it's One_Sick_Lexus that's having the better of us. We think it's a young guy. It's not. Based on truthful and accurate demographic information, my server has run a comprehensive search for an ES330 driver with the traits described in One_Sick_Lexus' posts and has conclusively determined that this is indeed what she looks like:

She's One_Sick_And_Perverted_Grandmother, that's for sure! Go Nancy, go!

BJ
Old 08-03-2004, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by TLGator

Yeah, I should buy a TL so I can be as loved as you are here How about you and BJ get a room, he'll give you a BJ and you two can live happily ever after?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Advanced

No I dont really think you should buy A TL..we allready have enough assholes driving them..dont need another one
Old 08-03-2004, 10:42 PM

Actually, it's One_Sick_Lexus that's having the better of us. We think it's a young guy. It's not. Based on truthful and accurate demographic information, my server has run a comprehensive search for an ES330 driver with the traits described in One_Sick_Lexus' posts and has conclusively determined that this is indeed what she looks like:

She's One_Sick_And_Perverted_Grandmother, that's for sure! Go Nancy, go!

BJ
Well I'm no expert but here is what I think of your description.
1. Loser in High School that wanted to be in the "in" crowd but never was
2. Didn't make good grades as BJ was so concerned with impressing those people that hated him.
3. No good at sports, couldn't catch a football if you had eight arms.
4. People always thought you were weird or "ghey":gaylaugh:
5. People still think your weird or "ghey". :gaylaugh:
6. Got a job washing cars out of high-school.
7. Got to know about cars since all you did all day 6 days a week was wash them.
8. Grew more hatred for the "in" crowd and their BMW, Benz and Lexus cars.
9. Figured, you'd buy a Acura and show everyone your "the man"!
10. To try to prove your not ghey, :ghey: :gaylaugh: you actually had sex with a woman of the female gender and fathered a gheyspawn :ghey: .
11. You move up to car wash manager at work.
12. All is well, you tire of people cutting you off and dismissing you and your Civic. You want something that says BADASS!!
13. As much as you hate it, you went to the BMW, Benz and Lexus dealerships. You wanted a 540 so so so bad.
14. BMW finacial ran your credit, laughed told you and suggested maybe a Civic EX from your Civic DX.
15. The same shit happened at the Benz and Lexus dealer, so instead of getting mad at your mistakes, you figure SOMEHOW, it's BMW, Benz and Lexus fault and you will be AVENGED!!
16. So you figure I'll buy an Acura since they are better but cheaper and the whole world is just dumb for not figuring this out sooner.
17. BTW, the Acura salesman thinks your :gaylaugh:.
18. You purchase a 2004 TL with these stipulations:
1. 96 month lease with $10,000 balloon payment
2. 4k miles a year
3. You must wash their cars on weekends, the whole LOT!
4. APR that the "Mafia" thinks is too steep.

But who cars, in your quest to be "in" and prove your not :gaylaugh: , you sign the papers. NOW BOLTJAMES CAN HAVE HIS REVENGE!!!

So now, for the long awaited picture. I did not want to reveal yourself to your TL buddies but the TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE.
So here he is everyone, BoltJames.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Well I'm no expert but here is what I think of your description.

So now, for the long awaited picture. I did not want to reveal yourself to your TL buddies but the TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE.
So here he is everyone, BoltJames.
LOL. Finally a good SickLex post. Knew you had it in you

BJ
Old 08-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I should buy a TL so I can be as loved as you are here
No, you should go away and never post here again. It's a much much cheaper solution than buying a TL and it will make many more people happy.

Kudos for the funny pic, though.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think Maxima is a very good car. but the new look is not something i want to drive.

my friend has a 2000 SE version, i think that look is better
Old 08-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by leo221
I think Maxima is a very good car. but the new look is not something i want to drive.

my friend has a 2000 SE version, i think that look is better
^^^ Probably the best post in this thread so far.

BJ! Is that really a picture of you:

:sqnteek:

j/k.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Instructor

not to add fuel to the fire but, the other day an 04 went flying by me. So I took chase, he was about 4 cars infront of me when he took off, I reeled him in till I had to let off the gas. This was about an 80-125 run. So from 80- 125 I would have put a 3 car length on him if we lined up even. It was pretty bad. I have 02-S with headers and intake.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CL2TLS
not to add fuel to the fire but, the other day an 04 went flying by me. So I took chase, he was about 4 cars infront of me when he took off, I reeled him in till I had to let off the gas. This was about an 80-125 run. So from 80- 125 I would have put a 3 car length on him if we lined up even. It was pretty bad. I have 02-S with headers and intake.

So which was it? Did he fly by you, or was he in front of you when he took off?

EDITED BY MODERATOR RON A 9/12/2004: MOVING TO CARS & BIKES