Nissan Maxima 2004 VS. TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 09:19 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
Mike, I agree with all of your commentary, but must correct you on one thing. The Maxima is not on the same platform as the 350Z. Nissan/Infiniti uses the same platform for the 350Z, G35 and FX (and next years M35/45). These are rear wheel drive with a "Front-mid engine" configuration. The Altima, Murano and Maxima share a completely different front wheel drive platform (I guess the I35 is still kicking around on the old version of the Maxima platform as well, but not the new version).
Oops! You're right. The Z is indeed on a different platform. The Maxima shares the FF-L platform with the Quest minivan, Murano and Altima. How could I get a minivan and a sports car mixed up?

Thanks for the correction -

Mike
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The stock TL A-spec ran a 14.0 in Road&Track not too long ago ... but I get what you're saying now -- driver's race. Touche.
Sorry, I know im off topic but which issue of R&T was it in? Must have missed it.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, Monte is right ... i should remember to include my sig in my posts...

For the person who made the comment about the TL having usable torque... get inside an '03+ automatic Maxima and tell me what you think of the torque outta that 3.5L engine... it's awesome.

Torque is a beautiful thing...
Old 07-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by boltjames
First off, I like the look of the Maxima. Very athletic and aggressive. Well designed.

Next, you just can't compare the TL to the Maxima. They're not in the same class. One is an upgraded basic car and the other a luxury car. Someone can tell me until they're blue in the face that the Ford Focus is as exciting to drive as the BMW 3, but in the end, it's not a BMW, it's a Ford.

The Maxima is a nice Nissan. Its natural competition would be the Honda Accord v6, not the TL.

BJ
Overseas, the TL is called the "honda inspire" ... i guess you couldn't justify what you're saying in Japan, eh?
Old 07-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my girlfriends' 2003 altima se v-6 doesn't come close to the torque/horspower of the tl. plus, w/out vsa it becomes almost undriveable whenyou're aggressive in wet conditions
Old 07-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Overseas, the TL is called the "honda inspire" ... i guess you couldn't justify what you're saying in Japan, eh?
In Japan, they cut the skull of a monkey open and eat its brain while its still alive. They can call the TL whatever they want over there as things are different......the Honda Legend is a luxury car in Asia. Matt Damon is still a star and Cheryl Ladd is a famous recording artist.

BJ
Old 07-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mbwmn
my girlfriends' 2003 altima se v-6 doesn't come close to the torque/horspower of the tl. plus, w/out vsa it becomes almost undriveable whenyou're aggressive in wet conditions
2003 Altima V6 would kill a TL in a drag race. You can get the 5spd running high 13s to low 14s stock due to its weight. Autos are low to mid 14s.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

In Japan, they cut the skull of a monkey open and eat its brain while its still alive. They can call the TL whatever they want over there as things are different......the Honda Legend is a luxury car in Asia. Matt Damon is still a star and Cheryl Ladd is a famous recording artist.

BJ

you strike me as the kind of person that needs to justify your $35k by convincing yourself that the Acura marque is an exclusive luxury marque --
Old 07-28-2004, 06:41 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

you strike me as the kind of person that needs to justify your $35k by convincing yourself that the Acura marque is an exclusive luxury marque --
Nah, couldn't be. Acura brand equity is pretty weak for a true luxury marque. Same with Infiniti and Cadillac. The brands that hold the most panache are BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi, and Lexus (I won't even include exotics). Someone who wants a status symbol car doesn't buy an Acura (as others have reiterated time and time again, "best bang for the buck"). They buy "true" luxury Marquees, not second rate Japanese Luxury marquees.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
First off, I like the look of the Maxima. Very athletic and aggressive. Well designed.

Next, you just can't compare the TL to the Maxima. They're not in the same class. One is an upgraded basic car and the other a luxury car. Someone can tell me until they're blue in the face that the Ford Focus is as exciting to drive as the BMW 3, but in the end, it's not a BMW, it's a Ford.

The Maxima is a nice Nissan. Its natural competition would be the Honda Accord v6, not the TL.

BJ
Firstly, let me say that the Maxima is ugly as sin from every angle. Now you know where I am coming from, and IMHO, this is the 2nd generation of Maximas that are ugly. Prior generations were excellent looking cars.

That said, is there even any competition to the Maxima? Perhaps the Avalon, or Pontiac Bonneville. Certainly for me, I only buy Japenese nameplates and I do not see any direct competiton. If I was prepared to buy an Accord I would not shell out the extra dough for the Max and if I wante the TL, I would not consider the Max. That said I love the Altima.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by EZZ
Nah, couldn't be. Acura brand equity is pretty weak for a true luxury marque. Same with Infiniti and Cadillac. The brands that hold the most panache are BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi, and Lexus (I won't even include exotics). Someone who wants a status symbol car doesn't buy an Acura (as others have reiterated time and time again, "best bang for the buck"). They buy "true" luxury Marquees, not second rate Japanese Luxury marquees.
There are two luxury brands that mean anything:

Mercedes Benz
BMW

Then there are a bunch of luxury brands that offer better value, but only a fraction of the perception of high-class:

Acura
Audi
Lexus
Volvo

Lastly, there are confused brands that really don't know what they're trying to be and who their audience is:

Infiniti
Jaguar
Cadillac
Saab

However you'd like to slice it, Nissan is not a luxury brand. Timex may make sturdy and dependable watches, but they're not Rolex.

BJ
Old 07-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

No, I don't need validation from Nissan owners that my car is produced by a luxury brand. I do, however, need to set the record straight when trolls show up trying to put the TL down in class just to make their Accord wannabe vehicles appear to be of a higher status. That's not right.

BJ
Old 07-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Maxima vs TL

Nissan sucks as a rule. BMW and MB are overrated with the price to prove it. Toyota/Lexus is boring to the Nth degree. ACURA is the thinking man's ride - if you believe in critical thinking.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

To EZZ

You are a salesman's dream. You buy into all of the BS!
Old 07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Banned

OMG man you are so freaking stupid. Lexus and Infiniti are OVER ACURA in Luxury PERIOD. Acura is catching up and doing very well I might add. But if you think Infiniti is not with Lexus or Acura you are a dumbass. You REALLY MAKE ALL THE TL OWNERS LOOK BAD ON HERE. Why do we waste our time on this guy? Just BAN HIM!

Oh yea, btw, I owned a Audi, and it had a better interior than the TL did. And I own a G35 compared to the Audi, it isn't bad at all.

There are two luxury brands that mean anything:

Mercedes Benz
BMW

Then there are a bunch of luxury brands that offer better value, but only a fraction of the perception of high-class:

Acura
Audi
Lexus
Volvo

Lastly, there are confused brands that really don't know what they're trying to be and who their audience is:

Infiniti
Jaguar
Cadillac
Saab

However you'd like to slice it, Nissan is not a luxury brand. Timex may make sturdy and dependable watches, but they're not Rolex.

BJ
Old 07-28-2004, 07:46 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
No, I don't need validation from Nissan owners that my car is produced by a luxury brand. I do, however, need to set the record straight when trolls show up trying to put the TL down in class just to make their Accord wannabe vehicles appear to be of a higher status. That's not right.

BJ
Dude. Don't get your back up. (And I'm not a troll, if you were referring to me).

Drive your car, enjoy your car, love your car, be proud of your car. But the world is full of cool cars, and it's also not right to get overly caught up in one brand and call everything else crap. Besides ... if you keep an open mind, you might even find more cars to love and be proud of!

Mike
Old 07-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Banned

BJ
IF WE GO BACK AND READ ALL THE THREADS, you started putting down the G35 first and started all the bad commnets about the G35. You STARTED IT. You always start it. TL and G35 owners were doing fine in this thead before you spewed your bs again.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Banned

Oh yea, per BJ terms, TL is gods chariot. It's gods gift to automobiles. Nothing beats it, nothing compares as long as BJ owns one.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Firstly, let me say that the Maxima is ugly as sin from every angle. Now you know where I am coming from, and IMHO, this is the 2nd generation of Maximas that are ugly. Prior generations were excellent looking cars.

That said, is there even any competition to the Maxima? Perhaps the Avalon, or Pontiac Bonneville. Certainly for me, I only buy Japenese nameplates and I do not see any direct competiton. If I was prepared to buy an Accord I would not shell out the extra dough for the Max and if I wante the TL, I would not consider the Max. That said I love the Altima.
I have to agree with Blex. The current Maxima is a ugly car. I have always liked the Maxima in previuos versions. They are a steal as a used car. Those Nissan/Infiniti designers are a little edgy with some of there designs. Like the Q45 thing. It looks like the '6000 SUX' in the original Robocop Movie. :sqnteek:
Old 07-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro

I drive luxury cars. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Nissan. I feel proud in my Acuras.

Sony makes a great TV. Much of its componentry can be traced to factories that manufacture Coby boomboxes and Cyberhome DVD players. While the Coby and Cyberhome products may function properly and serve as adequate in the fidelity department, they're not Sony. Not going to command a premium price. Not going to make your friends drool.

In the end, the manufacturer wins this debate on my behalf- if Nissan had intended for the Maxima to be a luxury car, they'd have made it an Infiniti.

BJ
Why do you have an analogy in almost every one of your posts? I'm sure you can get your point across easier not talking like you are a first grade teacher. Although depending upon who you're talking to on here, it might be the only way.

Now as far as Maxima vs TL, they are both great cars. I would have to say that these cars are competitors as far as market share for a 4 door, sporty family car in the $30 - $35K price range. I don't think either Nissan or Acura intended to be competing with these models, but that's what consumers are doing.

Nissan is definetly not a "luxury" brand, and any fool can tell that by walking into one of their showrooms. The idiots in there look like they are auditioning for Boiler Room 2. That doesn't mean that they don't make one hell of a car.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
OMG man you are so freaking stupid. Lexus and Infiniti are OVER ACURA in Luxury PERIOD. Acura is catching up and doing very well I might add. But if you think Infiniti is not with Lexus or Acura you are a dumbass. You REALLY MAKE ALL THE TL OWNERS LOOK BAD ON HERE. Why do we waste our time on this guy? Just BAN HIM!

Oh yea, btw, I owned a Audi, and it had a better interior than the TL did. And I own a G35 compared to the Audi, it isn't bad at all.
I disagree. And I don't need to call you stupid either. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura ... all the same shit really. Lexus and Infiniti offer a few more models, but the vehicles at comparative pricepoints all have similar engines, features, and build quality. Lexus and Infiniti have just been adopted by more wanna bes that Acura has.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:14 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RTDyer
You are a salesman's dream. You buy into all of the BS!
I've never bought a BMW or Mercedes so kiss my a$$

I find it funny that people praise the bang-for-the-buck the TL provides and get so defensive about Acura not being as prestigious as BMW
Old 07-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Hmm.....according to your profile:

TL_6SPD 2004 G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DG
Mods: Z-TUBE | K&N Panel | 20% tint

Did have deposit on a 04 TL 6MT, but cancelled.

Born 1955

Conclusions:

1. 49 year old men do not use the word "freaking" in a sentence.

2. 14 year old boys who wish they owned a luxury car, do use the word "freaking' in a sentence.

3. Someone who chose a G35 over a TL after placing a deposit on a TL is certainly biased and has a bone to pick with Acura.

4. Someone who chooses a MT car with lots of sports modifications is hardly an expert on what constitutes a 'luxury' brand.

5. If you want to live in a fantasy world where Infinity is the perceived equal of Lexus and Acura on the luxury scale, good luck to you. Hate to break it to you, but there is no Easter Bunny, your dad is the Tooth Fairy, the Loch Ness Monster was a hoax, and the Bermuda Triangle contains no alien spacecraft.

6. You can cry and shout all you want but ultimately you'll come to realize that no one supports your ridiculous G35 claims in the TL forum.

7. Go to bed. You've got a spelling test and a geometry quiz at school tomorrow, remember?

BJ
Old 07-28-2004, 11:41 PM
10th Gear

"caught" in the middle-- right where they want to be!

Compare Nissan to Honda, Kia, Ford, and Toyota as they're non-luxury brands.

Compare Acura's to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. Luxury brands. There are plenty of cars that are less expensive than the TL that have four doors and four wheels and beefy engines. They're still not luxury cars.

BJ

I think Acura has specifically placed the TL right in the middle of the non-luxury brands and their luxury equivalents. I don't think many people would contest that your average Audi/Lexus/BMW/Infiniti are more luxurious than the TL. However, I very much doubt that most people would argue that the TL is more luxurious than the Honda, Ford, Toyota, and Nissan competitors. I drive a 2000 Maxima, and it was the best $23k you could ever spend on a car. (This was before the Altima became a Maxima in sheep's clothing).

I think Acura is very nicely positioned in a somewhat-niche market: they're incredibly attractive to people who want a "pseudo-luxury" car without spending the 45 grand you'd need to get a Lexus 430 or a 5-series Bimmer or an A6, but they're clearly nicer than anything you can get from an Accord/Maxima/Taurus(gag!)

From my recent research and looking around, I almost bought an A6 until a friend twigged me onto the TL, and now I'm about to buy one. I thought about the G35, but couldn't handle the looks. I think for most people the choice is pretty clear: if you're willing to live with a front-wheel drive automobile, there's nothing better out there than a TL.

--lj
Old 07-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by ljwobker
I don't think many people would contest that your average Audi/Lexus/BMW/Infiniti are more luxurious than the TL.
--lj
Have to differ here, big time.

Have you sat in your 'average' Audi, Lexux, BMW, or Infinity?

Audi: Volkswagon starkness, hard seats, lack of rich materials. We're not talking A8 here. We're talking A4 or A6.

Lexus: Their interiors are nice, but certainly not superior to the TL. About the same. Offset by the unattractive exteriors, but we're talking luxury here so that's really about the interior.

BMW: Please.....if you're talking about the 3 don't bother. If you're talking about the 5, it certainly comes closer, but the leather seats (if you can afford them) are uncomfortable and the interior is straight out of a 1985 7 series. There's no imagination.

Infinity: Well covered......terrible. Suited for a Maxima, not a supposed 'luxury sedan'.

BJ
Old 07-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Drifting

Dont forget that the TL is one of the only cars in its class that's fwd, and it's not stopping me from getting one and didnt stop the close to 70,000 who already bought the car. The TL is selling just as well if not better then its competition. What I find funny is that no Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Caddi, or MB could ever sell half as well with a front drive as Acura has, in one of the most competitive categories of automobiles, whith "all" worthy competition offering superior drivetrains.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Drifting

Dont forget that the TL is one of the only cars in its class that's fwd, and it's not stopping me from getting one and didnt stop the close to 70,000 who already bought the car. The TL is selling just as well if not better then its competition. What I find funny is that no Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Caddi, or MB could ever sell half as well with a front drive as Acura has, in one of the most competitive categories of automobiles, with "all" worthy competition offering superior drivetrains. As for the Maxima, im surprised Nissan has room for it between its altima and infiniti line up.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Audi: Volkswagon starkness, hard seats, lack of rich materials. We're not talking A8 here. We're talking A4 or A6.

Lexus: Their interiors are nice, but certainly not superior to the TL. About the same. Offset by the unattractive exteriors, but we're talking luxury here so that's really about the interior.

BMW: Please.....if you're talking about the 3 don't bother. If you're talking about the 5, it certainly comes closer, but the leather seats (if you can afford them) are uncomfortable and the interior is straight out of a 1985 7 series. There's no imagination.

Infinity: Well covered......terrible. Suited for a Maxima, not a supposed 'luxury sedan'.

BJ
BJ, As if you haven't already lost a lot of credibility on this thread, your comments here, especially about the Audi have pushed you over the edge. Audi has the nicest interiors made. And if you think that this is just my opinion, read every road test written on any Audi the past several years. EVERY comparison test - regardless of what they are comparing the car to, raves about the interiors as being the benchmark for any class of car. And Lexus interiors are not superior to the TL? Sorry, but they are.

It's nice you love your TL so much, but if you want credibility, you have to be more objective and realistic.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Banned

Wow, I made one mistake. But you make 100s in your posts so far. You can't even spell Infiniti right. lol

If you look at the JD POWERS, seems Infiniti is right under Lexus. And Acura is 4-5 down the list. So how can you say Infiniti is not near Lexus or Acura? I would say Acura is not near them. And this is a FACT not a BJ lie.

Hmm.....according to your profile:

TL_6SPD 2004 G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DG
Mods: Z-TUBE | K&N Panel | 20% tint

Did have deposit on a 04 TL 6MT, but cancelled.

Born 1955

Conclusions:

1. 49 year old men do not use the word "freaking" in a sentence.

2. 14 year old boys who wish they owned a luxury car, do use the word "freaking' in a sentence.

3. Someone who chose a G35 over a TL after placing a deposit on a TL is certainly biased and has a bone to pick with Acura.

4. Someone who chooses a MT car with lots of sports modifications is hardly an expert on what constitutes a 'luxury' brand.

5. If you want to live in a fantasy world where Infinity is the perceived equal of Lexus and Acura on the luxury scale, good luck to you. Hate to break it to you, but there is no Easter Bunny, your dad is the Tooth Fairy, the Loch Ness Monster was a hoax, and the Bermuda Triangle contains no alien spacecraft.

6. You can cry and shout all you want but ultimately you'll come to realize that no one supports your ridiculous G35 claims in the TL forum.

7. Go to bed. You've got a spelling test and a geometry quiz at school tomorrow, remember?

BJ
Old 07-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Banned

The new B6 A4 body was the benchmark of all interiors. It was rated that way. It had the best interior design of any car and its seats by all means were not hard like VWs. You are just way overly biased for the TL. And you need to grow up.

And now your saying Lexus interiors are not superior to the TL?! Omg kid. You again have no clue what you just said.

BJ
Old 07-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Disproportionate Member

Doesn't matter, because I've got a bigger penis. That's pretty much what this thread has deteriorated to.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Aquineas
Doesn't matter, because I've got a bigger penis. That's pretty much what this thread has deteriorated to.
Nice way to end the thread.

BJ
Old 07-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAdams
I have to admit that I visit this board a LOT less often now because of the seemingly endless "TL vs. XXXX" threads that turn into childish pissing matches halfway down the first page, usually because XXXX = M-B E55, Ferrari F50 or something like that. Thanks for keeping this one civil and intelligent.
I spoke too soon.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Pro

The new B6 A4 body was the benchmark of all interiors. It was rated that way. It had the best interior design of any car and its seats by all means were not hard like VWs. You are just way overly biased for the TL. And you need to grow up.

And now your saying Lexus interiors are not superior to the TL?! Omg kid. You again have no clue what you just said.

The new Audis definetely have the best interiors, but not a few years back. Seemed very bland to me then. Lexus on the other hand, doesn't really move me (Talking about new IS, LS & RS models) as far as interior goes. It's definetly nice, but I'd have to say that I think the TL's interior is nicer right now. I'm sure Lexus will blow the TL away with it's next interior re-design though. Well, maybe not blow it away....
Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 AM
3rd Gear

BJ - based on this post, you're a joke.

BJ
i guess the M3 and S4 are next on your list to bash.
-have you seen the quality of materials on an A4/A6?
-Yes, current 3 series interiors are way outdated, but these are "driver's" cars and not luxury cruisers.

-i owned a 2002 maxima and after the headlights got stolen, i decided i will never buy a Maxima. the only pluses were the NAV and the awesome torque (unfortunately in the front wheels)
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 AM
3rd Gear

TL_6SPD - right on...

i currently have a B6 A4
interior is simply the best.
though i admit the seats are a bit "firm"
unfortunately its a slug off the line.

when i sat in the TL, i liked the real aluminum, nice seats and roomy interior.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:27 PM

BJ
Dude your lucky a valet pays any attention to you. You drive an Acura. Acura=value. If you go to:
Clublexus
MB World
Bimmerforums

You will realize that people that buy Acuras like value. You will realize that Acura makes no car BETTER than the 35k TL
Lexus majority lineup is more expensive than the TL
Benz and BMW have most of their cars more expensive than the TL
Acura focuses on cars UNDER 40k. Similar to Nissan, Kia, Toyota, Daewoo
If you had any friends of stature, if you owned a business, if you were not 18 years old you would realize Acura is simply not even mentioned in the breath as BMW, Benz, Lexus.

Luxury and Value=

I am not saying Acura is junk. Acura is a very solid carmaker. But if your current flagship since 1999 has been a worse car than the TL, what kind of luxury is that.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:35 PM

BJ
The Honda Legend is compared to the Toyota Camry and Nissan Maxima in Europe. If you've been there.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude your lucky a valet pays any attention to you. You drive an Acura. Acura=value. If you go to:
Clublexus
MB World
Bimmerforums

You will realize that people that buy Acuras like value. You will realize that Acura makes no car BETTER than the 35k TL
Lexus majority lineup is more expensive than the TL
Benz and BMW have most of their cars more expensive than the TL
Acura focuses on cars UNDER 40k. Similar to Nissan, Kia, Toyota, Daewoo
If you had any friends of stature, if you owned a business, if you were not 18 years old you would realize Acura is simply not even mentioned in the breath as BMW, Benz, Lexus.

Luxury and Value=

I am not saying Acura is junk. Acura is a very solid carmaker. But if your current flagship since 1999 has been a worse car than the TL, what kind of luxury is that.
Hey Sicklex,
I'll have to disagree with you on your rant. Valets park my TL up front right next to the BMW, Benz, and Porche. People from all walks of life from bank presidents to day laborors ask me to stop and 'give a tour' of the TL. I own a 02 530I sport also, and i'll tell you the BMW shines when driven hard, which is not most of the time. The TL shines in the regular driving most of us do daily. My BMW friends say the TL is the best looking, best driving, best all around car to come along in a long time. It is set to be one of those cars that 'transends time' like the 91 - 96 Acura Legends. Only time will tell on that.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:54 PM

It was a shot at BoltJames. I do think the TL has that Acura Legend aura. It's a focking great car. PERIOD. Just not Jesus's chariot like BoltJames says.

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima 2004 VS. TL