Nissan Loses Its Relevance to Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Loses Its Relevance to Hyundai

Apparently Nissan doesn't matter anymore according to MSN.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...7666&GT1=33002

The big news about November car sales is that Chrysler continues to lose market share at a remarkable and unsustainable rate. Edmunds predicts that Chrysler sales will drop 35% from the same month last year, bring its piece of the U.S. market to 7.8%, down from 11.4% a year ago.

Chrysler’s new management insists the firm can survive for two years while it prepares Fiat models for the U.S. The boast gets harder to believe as each month passes. Chrysler is unlikely to have sold more than 55,000 vehicles last month.

The other important milestone in November may be that Nissan became the laggard among car companies in U.S. sales. Hyundai could move ahead of Nissan, as its total sales are expected to surge 26% to 43,000 units. Nissan sales are expected to be flat compared with last November, at about the same unit level as Hyundai.

Edmunds does not expect a significant change in sales for Ford (F), Toyota (TM), or GM compared to November 2008. Honda (HMC) sales are expected to drop 9%.

Edmunds expects total industry sales to be down 4% year-over-year and off 15% from October 2009.
I also read that despite praise of the Infiniti G37 Convertible and the debut of the amazing Infiniti M, luxury cars just aren't selling. Even entry class luxury cars. The lack of Infiniti sales is dragging Nissan's sales figures down.

Who would have thought that a once profitable luxury brand would start to hurt the entire company.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hyundai is like that kid who couldn't make his high school ball team so he practices his jump shots at the park all night while the guys on the team are partying. before you know it, he's better then some of those guys
Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

That's a pretty good analogy!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
Hyundai is like that kid who couldn't make his high school ball team so he practices his jump shots at the park all night while the guys on the team are partying. before you know it, he's better then some of those guys
Very true. They are coming up!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Koreans FTW
Old 12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Funny how TOP GEAR conitnues to make fun of KIA, yet KIA and Hyundai will soon dominate most markets.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
true
Old 12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black Tire

Funny how TOP GEAR conitnues to make fun of KIA, yet KIA and Hyundai will soon dominate most markets.
The problem for Hyundai is image, or more precisely the low esteem in which U.S. consumers appear to hold the company's automobiles. Hyundai's scores on J.D. Power 's Initial Quality Study are better than Toyota's, though Toyota (TM ) bests Hyundai for long-term reliability. But even with all the improvement since Hyundai's bad old days in the 1990s, when its cars were poor-quality rust buckets, only 23% of new car buyers two years ago considered buying a Hyundai. Looks like that's changing very quickly.

I'm guilty of that to a degree it's hard to consider buying a Hyundai Genesis coupe or sedan. Although I respect what they are capable of, their improved quality and awesome warranty, in mind I still think of their old days when their cars were a complete joke.

Last edited by GalantT3; 12-01-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ Yeah, very true.

But slowly, but surely, the trend is changing positively toward Hyundai.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I dunno, I think I still prefer my Infiniti over anything Hyundai has to offer (at least right now).

Hyundai has definitely got the momentum right now....
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
Originally Posted by GalantT3
The problem for Hyundai is image, or more precisely the low esteem in which U.S. consumers appear to hold the company's automobiles. Hyundai's scores on J.D. Power 's Initial Quality Study are better than Toyota's, though Toyota (TM ) bests Hyundai for long-term reliability. But even with all the improvement since Hyundai's bad old days in the 1990s, when its cars were poor-quality rust buckets, only 23% of new car buyers two years ago considered buying a Hyundai. Looks like that's changing very quickly.

I'm guilty of that to a degree it's hard to consider buying a Hyundai Genesis coupe or sedan. Although I respect what they are capable of, their improved quality and awesome warranty, in mind I still think of their old days when their cars were a complete joke.
Yeah, that is exactly how I feel. My wife is worse. She once owned a Hyundai Accent. She hated that car. The stupid thing about that is that the car was solid. Not a single thing went wrong with it ever. That was back in '97, '98. The dealership even gave her a new transmission because she thought it was bad. It wasn't. She would complain about how jerky it was when putting it into gear on a cold start I showed her the Genesis cars and she was like, "it's still a Hyundai". There are a crap load of people just like that still, not willing to give a now good car company the benefit of the doubt. Actually, I don't know what's worse, baselessly dismissing Hyundai for what it was or knowing what it is today and still not willing to buy one because of this
Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hyundai is definitely coming up. This is indisputable.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
My dad just bought the Genesis. All i can say is after a day of test driving the competitors (bmw/caddy/audi) I am very very impressed with the car. to them.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
My dad just bought the Genesis. All i can say is after a day of test driving the competitors (bmw/caddy/audi) I am very very impressed with the car. to them.
I drove the Genesis sedan a few months ago and was really impressed. I still don't really like the dash design (materials are very nice though). The exterior is just a home run for Hyundai.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I drive a Subata.

If I were the CEO of the Hyundai Motor Group, the first thing I would change is its emblem. I totally understand the whole brand history and all that, but before it gets TOO LATE, I'd change it. Both Hyundai's and Kia's.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I drove the Genesis sedan a few months ago and was really impressed. I still don't really like the dash design (materials are very nice though). The exterior is just a home run for Hyundai.

It looks awesome in White, and you can really smoke the douche in his 550i.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Having driven both versions of the Genesis coupe, I can say that they have come a long way since the Scoupe. While I'm still not certain whether I'd get a V6 coupe over a used G35C, I would think lesser of those who would opt for the former.

As far as Nissan goes, the only cars in that showroom that interest me are the Murano, GT-R and 370Z. The rest of the lineup (though solid vehicles) really doesnt inspire me.

As far as Infiniti goes, I love the G, M and FX but think they can be a little less expensive and Nissan really needs to insert that MDX-type crossover in between the FX and QX. (<---something I've stated previously in another thread.) ....maybe something based on a stretched FX (Z) or Murano (Altima) platform.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I hate to say it as an Acura fan....but for the last year, Hyundai>>Acura.

I mean, Hyundai developed a V8/RWD sedan before Honda/Acura. Their styling isn't fugly. WTF happened here?

Hyundai is totally eating Acura's lunch and kicking its ass right now with the Genesis.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 PM
wut.

Originally Posted by knight rider
Yeah, that is exactly how I feel. My wife is worse. She once owned a Hyundai Accent. She hated that car. The stupid thing about that is that the car was solid. Not a single thing went wrong with it ever. That was back in '97, '98. The dealership even gave her a new transmission because she thought it was bad. It wasn't. She would complain about how jerky it was when putting it into gear on a cold start I showed her the Genesis cars and she was like, "it's still a Hyundai". There are a crap load of people just like that still, not willing to give a now good car company the benefit of the doubt. Actually, I don't know what's worse, baselessly dismissing Hyundai for what it was or knowing what it is today and still not willing to buy one because of this
It should definitely look like this:

Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

I mean, Hyundai developed a V8/RWD sedan before Honda/Acura. Their styling isn't fugly. WTF happened here?

Hyundai is totally eating Acura's lunch and kicking its ass right now with the Genesis.
Comparing the entire Hyundai brand to Acura doesnt really make much sense, considering the fact that the only 4 banger Acura has is the TSX.

The Genesis is better than the TL but if u compare Honda's lineup to Hyundai's, Honda is still better.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I love how far Hyundai has come but if I may be brutally honest, I miss the humble little car company they were just a few years ago. I am the owner of an '04 Santa Fe that has had no trouble AT ALL and back in '04 when I bought the car, it was like joining a secret club of fantastic vehicles that only the super-savvy knew about. It was almost like going to Vegas, betting $20 at blackjack and winning $60,000. Average people would snub you and say 'poor soul can only afford a Hyundai' but you would smile and keep on driving, knowing you got a great car at a great price. My mom owned one of the first Civics and she said it was like that back then. Now it's different. Their name is everywhere and more and more people are buying them, spreading the word.

They still make great cars and I would not hesitate to buy another but I still miss the days of being almost one-of-a-kind on the road. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, so to speak.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I love how far Hyundai has come but if I may be brutally honest, I miss the humble little car company they were just a few years ago. I am the owner of an '04 Santa Fe that has had no trouble AT ALL and back in '04 when I bought the car, it was like joining a secret club of fantastic vehicles that only the super-savvy knew about. It was almost like going to Vegas, betting $20 at blackjack and winning $60,000. Average people would snub you and say 'poor soul can only afford a Hyundai' but you would smile and keep on driving, knowing you got a great car at a great price. My mom owned one of the first Civics and she said it was like that back then. Now it's different. Their name is everywhere and more and more people are buying them, spreading the word.

They still make great cars and I would not hesitate to buy another but I still miss the days of being almost one-of-a-kind on the road. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, so to speak.
But that is how I feel about Subaru.... I digress.

I think Nissan should not have went with a "same grille/front end treatment" on literally every car. And the fact that the 370Z blazed a trail for the 4 door Maxima, which looks like the Altima, which looks like the big brother to the Sentra... Get my point? They all look alike, and differentiation, is a big deal. Ugly does not help either.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I would not hesitate to look at Hyundai if they offered everything that I want in a car. Navigation, Bluetooth, leather, premium Dolby PLII stereo, powerful V6 or V8, good styling.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I would not hesitate to look at Hyundai if they offered everything that I want in a car. Navigation, Bluetooth, leather, premium Dolby PLII stereo, powerful V6 or V8, good styling.
The main reason why I opted for my old 07 AV6 is that it had the Navi and I negotiated a price that put it in the general ballpark of the 07 Sonata V6. This leads me to my question:

would people buy a Hyundai product IF the equivalent Honda/Nissan/Toyota were priced in the same ballpark? (Probably a question rendered moot by the fact that Hyundai runs thousands less than the upscale brands of the Jap big 3....but I think it's a good question nonetheless.)
Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL

I had an 04 Santa Fe as well and I would probably say that it was one of the worst cars I have ever owned. Maybe it was not the car it self, but the service. We had that car in and out of the shop for about 2 months because they could not figure out what was wrong.

Leaving my wife stranded on the freeway 3-4 times.

I am positive that not all experiences were like this, but it def. tarnished my views on the company as a whole.

The last time that it was in the shop they were still unsure what it was. I asked them if it was running right now and they informed me that it was. I said to them to patch it all back up and I will be down to get it. I literally drove it from the Hyundai dealership to carmax.

Last edited by SwervinCL; 12-02-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but you said it by mentioning how it's changing quickly. it may take longer for you or some others, but it is changing. we all forget how honda and toyota were considered rust buckets too.

Originally Posted by F23A4
Having driven both versions of the Genesis coupe, I can say that they have come a long way since the Scoupe. While I'm still not certain whether I'd get a V6 coupe over a used G35C, I would think lesser of those who would opt for the former.
As far as Nissan goes, the only cars in that showroom that interest me are the Murano, GT-R and 370Z. The rest of the lineup (though solid vehicles) really doesnt inspire me.

As far as Infiniti goes, I love the G, M and FX but think they can be a little less expensive and Nissan really needs to insert that MDX-type crossover in between the FX and QX. (<---something I've stated previously in another thread.) ....maybe something based on a stretched FX (Z) or Murano (Altima) platform.
you mean you wouldn't?

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Comparing the entire Hyundai brand to Acura doesnt really make much sense, considering the fact that the only 4 banger Acura has is the TSX.

The Genesis is better than the TL but if u compare Honda's lineup to Hyundai's, Honda is still better.
he's not really comparing the lineup, car by car.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I would lose the one on the hood

Old 12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
but you said it by mentioning how it's changing quickly. it may take longer for you or some others, but it is changing. we all forget how honda and toyota were considered rust buckets too.

you mean you wouldn't?

he's not really comparing the lineup, car by car.
Correct. EDIT: I meant I would not. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
like when Steve Urkel wouldn't make cut on the HS basketball team, but pulled through when everyone got injured? classic...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Wow for Hyundai!

Competition is a good thing.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
At the rate they are going, Honda's going to soon lose their relevance to everyone...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SwervinCL

I don't ever remember or even think there was a time when Honda's or Toyota's were considered rust buckets? I mean I remember they were thought of as cheap, reliable boring cars that you were un-patriotic for buying, but then again I'm 27 so I only know as far back as late 80's.

Last edited by GalantT3; 12-02-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
At the rate they are going, Honda's going to soon lose their relevance to everyone...
Its already happening.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
I don't ever remember or even think there was a time when Honda's or Toyota's were considered rust buckets? I mean I remember they were thought of as cheap, reliable boring cars that you were un-patriotic for buying, but then again I'm 27 so I only know as far back as late 80's.
GO TO YOUR ROOM!

All jokes aside, I think you have a valid point here. I am old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" meant cheap though, but I don't think that was ever the case with automobiles. How the times have changed. 6 Sigma rules.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Its already happening.
so true
Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Punk Rocker

According to the sales numbers for Nov in Automotive News, Nissan sold more than twice as many cars for the month as Hyundai. Toyota sold 4 times as many. Hyundai is on a big roll but they still have a ways to go before people start calling the japanese "big 3" irrelevant...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
According to the sales numbers for Nov in Automotive News, Nissan sold more than twice as many cars for the month as Hyundai. Toyota sold 4 times as many. Hyundai is on a big roll but they still have a ways to go before people start calling the japanese "big 3" irrelevant...
Time will tell if this is just a blip on the radar OR a real bogey.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I have no qualms against buying a Hyundai and I haven't for years now. I've just never really been interested in their lineup until recently. I think they really started to pique my interest starting with the 2005 Sonata, and then they were on a roll since then with the Genesis coupe/sedan. What a huge improvement over the Tiburon and the other cars they used to have!

No matter what, the better Hyundai's cars get, the more competitive other brands will have to be by stepping up their styling, performance, price, etc. We win in the end because of it, so even if you don't like Hyundai, you should be glad!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ more choices and options are fine with me.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Disinformation Terminator

I don't ever remember or even think there was a time when Honda's or Toyota's were considered rust buckets?
I don't remember that either, and I was reading car magazines before the Accord line even existed. In the old old days, Japanese cars were simply considered buzzy little econo-cars for the extremely budget minded.

As far as Nissan and Hyundai are concerned:

1. Nissan would do well to upgrade their current crap interiors to something resembling Hyundai quality.

2. The original U.S. market Hyundai Excel was a true shitbox, and that's a hard reputation to erase....even 20 years on.

3. One used to chart Hyundai's progress by how many years behind the Japanese makes they appeared to be. Now they're on equal footing.

4. Another reason Hyundai's reputation has been hard to equate with the Japanese manufacturers is in their safety record. Only very recently have their vehicles performed on a par with other makes. Compare Hyundai to the Japanese makes on that point below. Note, Red and Black are bad, Green and Blue are good.

http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/hyundai/idx.htm
http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/toyota_us/idx.htm
http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/honda/idx.htm
http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/nissan/idx.htm

5. The last hill Hyundai has to climb specifically with enthusiasts is motorsports history. Aside from token entries in Rally and Drifting, they have none.

Quick Reply: Nissan Loses Its Relevance to Hyundai