Notices

New Ride

 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 AM
  #1  
Got da Internet Goin Nutz
Thread Starter
 
bl^5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Land of Sugar, TEXAS
Age: 43
Posts: 1,997
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
New Ride

I got a new ride last summer and I just got around to getting some things done to it and taking pictures.

It was a 5 year hiatus from having a nice car, I traded in my CL-S to get the wifey a SUV at the end of '03 and I took to driving her '94 Kia Sportage 4x4. She entered grad school full time so I added a '00 civic to the fleet along with two more kids! Then last summer she entered the working world again and told me I could get a ride for myself. I had a VERY HARD time making a decision between something practicle that could fit the whole family and something that suited my taste. The wifey pushed me to get the latter as we already had something practile.

So after looking for a long time I found a '06 BMW 330i w/ sport and nav packages that was sitting at BMW of Austin right after a huge hail storm came through. I figured I would get an excellent deal on it, get it repaired for cheap and then be good to go. The dealer, however, wouldn't budge on the PREDAMAGED price. So I ended up with...




2006 Infiniti M35 with Tech package.







Excuse my picture taking skills as they suck and my old digital camera doesn't help much.

I love the car. RWD will probably keep me away from Acura since we never see real snow in Houston. I wish I could have the Honda/Acura Navigation as the Infiniti user interface SUCKS A$$. I changed out the rims and did a mild drop, tinted the windows, and hacked the nav screen to keep it from limiting functionality while in motion. As an added bonus I can actually barely get three car seats in the back. If the wife doesn't get a new car soon, I'll throw some headrest monitors in at the end of this year.

Last edited by bl^5; 01-21-2010 at 10:13 AM.
bl^5 is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 AM
  #2  
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ
 
iTimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Age: 38
Posts: 7,522
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the wheels, normally I think aftermarket wheels look terrible on M's. I really like the current M's for what they are, and am very eager to see the 2011 in person.
iTimmy is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 AM
  #3  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
juniorbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The QC
Posts: 28,417
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Looks awesome! Nice ride. Like the wheels too...

I've always loved these cars but have always been put off by the HUGE tails. Are any Infiniti owners doing anything with vinyl or anything to make them look more proportionate?
juniorbean is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
  #4  
The Box
 
vas25tl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 6,686
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Congrats!

I'd love me a M45 sport
vas25tl is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
  #5  
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)
iTrader: (1)
 
gatrhumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Age: 39
Posts: 33,684
Received 1,205 Likes on 811 Posts
I love the wheels! Nice ride. Could you take interior pics?
gatrhumpy is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
  #6  
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱
iTrader: (16)
 
princelybug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 22,454
Received 199 Likes on 152 Posts
Congrats!
princelybug is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
  #7  
intelligentsia
 
SRK85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Age: 33
Posts: 4,378
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M35 is one of the most underrated cars I like it.
SRK85 is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Dr. Colorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The 808
Posts: 6,771
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Clean ride and I like the rims. M interior is super lux which interior trim do you have? I love the small things like how the seat belts tighten when braking hard. Birds eye nav system takes a little getting used to no doubt.
Dr. Colorado is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
  #9  
I drive a Subata.
iTrader: (1)
 
JS + XES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Socal
Age: 34
Posts: 20,145
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,483 Posts
i don't really like the rims but anyway, nice car!
JS + XES is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 PM
  #10  
I shoot people
 
is300eater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 21,173
Received 1,874 Likes on 1,052 Posts
cool, welcome to the Infiniti family...
is300eater is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
  #11  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
juniorbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The QC
Posts: 28,417
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick View Post
I love the small things like how the seat belts tighten when braking hard.
Doesn't that happen on all cars? It happened on every car I've ever owned. Kinda thought that's how seat belts were manufactured.
juniorbean is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
  #12  
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
 
Black CL-S 4-Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The City of Syrup Screwston, Texas
Posts: 14,079
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bl^5 View Post
I got a new ride last summer and I just got around to getting some things done to it and taking pictures.

It was a 5 year hiatus from having a nice car, I traded in my CL-S to get the wifey a SUV at the end of '03 and I took to driving her '94 Kia Sportage 4x4. She entered grad school full time so I added a '00 civic to the fleet along with two more kids! Then last summer she entered the working world again and told me I could get a ride for myself. I had a VERY HARD time making a decision between something practicle that could fit the whole family and something that suited my taste. The wifey pushed me to get the latter as we already had something practile.

So after looking for a long time I found a '06 BMW 330i w/ sport and nav packages that was sitting at BMW of Austin right after a huge hail storm came through. I figured I would get an excellent deal on it, get it repaired for cheap and then be good to go. The dealer, however, wouldn't budge on the PREDAMAGED price. So I ended up with...




2006 Infiniti M35 with Tech package.







Excuse my picture taking skills as they suck and my old digital camera doesn't help much.

I love the car. RWD will probably keep me away from Acura since we never see real snow in Houston. I wish I could have the Honda/Acura Navigation as the Infiniti user interface SUCKS A$$. I changed out the rims and did a mild drop, tinted the windows, and hacked the nav screen to keep it from limiting functionality while in motion. As an added bonus I can actually barely get three car seats in the back. If the wife doesn't get a new car soon, I'll throw some headrest monitors in at the end of this year.
Nice ride man and good to see you around.. My cousin has a M45 and it has so many gadgets. I love riding in it.
Black CL-S 4-Life is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
  #13  
Rooting for Acura
iTrader: (1)
 
knight rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Austin Burbs
Posts: 7,582
Received 1,408 Likes on 675 Posts
Nice car and wheels. You are the 3rd person in a month that I know that got the same car. One of my friends got an 06 AWD M and another got the same car as yours but in the darker grey. Congrats, its a nice car.
knight rider is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Dr. Colorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The 808
Posts: 6,771
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean View Post
Doesn't that happen on all cars? It happened on every car I've ever owned. Kinda thought that's how seat belts were manufactured.
Oh no it's more of an electronically controlled tightening. Not the physical aspect of the seat belt per se which you're talking about but the car's computer recognizes the hard braking and sensing an impending collision, electronically tightens the seat belts. I took a M35 out for a testdrive a few years back and the salesman (who also is a patient BTW) suggested I slam on the brakes without telling me about the seatbelt feature. It was kind of trippy to experience like I was being squeezed for lack of a better description

If other cars have this feature that's pretty cool. My 05 Element and 07 911 don't.
Dr. Colorado is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
  #15  
Bonki' Ehrite!
iTrader: (2)
 
ANC297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boca Raton Fl, Mooresville NC
Age: 26
Posts: 2,307
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I love the wheels! Beautiful car man.
ANC297 is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
mrdeeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lower Nazzie, Pa
Age: 41
Posts: 5,349
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
WTF...is Acura like the gateway to Infiniti?
mrdeeno is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM
  #17  
In the Mid-South meow
iTrader: (2)
 
SuperTrooper169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Music City
Age: 42
Posts: 10,029
Received 1,417 Likes on 816 Posts
Congrats! Love the M's!
SuperTrooper169 is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
  #18  
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner
 
2K2SilverTL-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 2,082
Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Mind filling me in on how you hacked the Navi to work while driving????

I picked up an amazing M35X for my mom with Rear DVD/Navi and Rear reclining seats (it was a $10K package on the M). These cars kick bu--. Night and day difference between the M and G interior wise.

Good luck with yours. Looks great
2K2SilverTL-S is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 PM
  #19  
Administrator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-West)
iTrader: (2)
 
Steven Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO (Overland Park, KS)
Posts: 36,378
Received 6,161 Likes on 5,059 Posts
I'm diggin' the wheels. They might look good on a Type S. Congrats on the ride!
Steven Bell is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
  #20  
Got da Internet Goin Nutz
Thread Starter
 
bl^5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Land of Sugar, TEXAS
Age: 43
Posts: 1,997
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for all the compliments! acurazine (or acura-cl.com for the old heads) will always be home for me. We need some infiniti sub forums here. Their current forums just don't cut it!

Originally Posted by juniorbean View Post
Looks awesome! Nice ride. Like the wheels too...

I've always loved these cars but have always been put off by the HUGE tails. Are any Infiniti owners doing anything with vinyl or anything to make them look more proportionate?
I haven't seen any infiniti owners do anything, but with the size of them I think it would be pretty difficult to camouflage them. Infiniti did make them smaller for the 08 refresh though. I actually like them but if they weren't LEDs I'd think differently.

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy View Post
I love the wheels! Nice ride. Could you take interior pics?
Preciate it! I'll get some interior photos up one day. have to get the car seats out first!

Originally Posted by surfer rick View Post
Clean ride and I like the rims. M interior is super lux which interior trim do you have? I love the small things like how the seat belts tighten when braking hard. Birds eye nav system takes a little getting used to no doubt.
Thanks!
I have the tech (non sport) edition with nav, dvd, and 14 speaker dolby surround sound.

Originally Posted by JS + MS3 View Post
i don't really like the rims but anyway, nice car!
Thanks. The rims aren't for everybody, but the BMW I was originally looking at had the concave style rims and I really started liking the style. Not to mention I got an EXCELLENT deal on them and the wider width (9.5" all around) combined with the offset really improve the overall stance.

Originally Posted by juniorbean View Post
Doesn't that happen on all cars? It happened on every car I've ever owned. Kinda thought that's how seat belts were manufactured.
Seatbelts usually will stop moving as a car breaks (you can't move forward anymore than the tension present immediately before the brakes were hit)
This system actually tightens the belts at an emergency braking event (if you were leaning a little forward it will pull your ass back into the seat and tighten). It's kind of like when you were a kid sitting in the front seat of your mom's car and she hit the breaks and her arm would instinctively shoot out and ram you in the chest pushing your body back into the seat. Really caught me by surprise when this happened the first time.

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life View Post
Nice ride man and good to see you around.. My cousin has a M45 and it has so many gadgets. I love riding in it.
This damn thing had gadgets galore! I had it for months before I realized the previous owner had a Sirius subscription that was paid up (I'll be upset when/if it expires).

It's [email protected] good to be back in the H mang! Do you still have the Ack? I can't tell you how many times my wife thought you were me back in 02-03!

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S View Post
Mind filling me in on how you hacked the Navi to work while driving????

I picked up an amazing M35X for my mom with Rear DVD/Navi and Rear reclining seats (it was a $10K package on the M). These cars kick bu--. Night and day difference between the M and G interior wise.

Good luck with yours. Looks great
Thanks!
Your mom has the PREMIUM edition! It doesn't get to much better than that. It has a retractable back window shade too. I'm glad I didn't know about that trim level when I was looking for mine. It is pretty rare and I definitely would have tried to find one.

Just google M35 nav hack and you will find the info. It does two things it makes the system think the car is in park and it bypasses the speed detector.

Originally Posted by knight rider View Post
Nice car and wheels. You are the 3rd person in a month that I know that got the same car. One of my friends got an 06 AWD M and another got the same car as yours but in the darker grey. Congrats, its a nice car.
Thanks! Consumer reports sold me on it. I also saw a post somewhere here where someone said as a used car it is the best bang for the buck. I'm all about a BARGAIN!

Originally Posted by iTimmy View Post
I like the wheels, normally I think aftermarket wheels look terrible on M's. I really like the current M's for what they are, and am very eager to see the 2011 in person.
I am looking forward to the 2011 too. I'll probably replace mine with a used one in 5 years (or Lord willing a CTS-V)...

Originally Posted by vas25tl View Post
Congrats!

I'd love me a M45 sport
Thanks. That V8 sounds like a beast with a good aftermarket exhaust system

Originally Posted by is300eater View Post
cool, welcome to the Infiniti family...
Thanks! No torque steer FTW!

Originally Posted by ANC297 View Post
I love the wheels! Beautiful car man.
Thanks!
bl^5 is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:03 AM
  #21  
1st TL-S on air in
iTrader: (2)
 
wrxyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Aiea Hawaii
Age: 37
Posts: 2,772
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive always loved the m35 or m45. They have alot VIP M's and if i were to sell my car this would be one of cars id consider.
wrxyboy is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 AM
  #22  
Someday, an RS6 Avant+
 
mrmako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,705
Received 218 Likes on 154 Posts
Very nice ride.....

Over here (and I think there too), the sport package has very nice 19" wheels, but for some reason, those wheels work with that Fuga..um, er, the M35/45.....

mrmako is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 AM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
Pitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 118
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the beautiful ride. We have another addition to Infinitizine family.
Pitman is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
  #24  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
juniorbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The QC
Posts: 28,417
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick View Post
Oh no it's more of an electronically controlled tightening. Not the physical aspect of the seat belt per se which you're talking about but the car's computer recognizes the hard braking and sensing an impending collision, electronically tightens the seat belts. I took a M35 out for a testdrive a few years back and the salesman (who also is a patient BTW) suggested I slam on the brakes without telling me about the seatbelt feature. It was kind of trippy to experience like I was being squeezed for lack of a better description

If other cars have this feature that's pretty cool. My 05 Element and 07 911 don't.
Originally Posted by bl^5 View Post
Seatbelts usually will stop moving as a car breaks (you can't move forward anymore than the tension present immediately before the brakes were hit)

This system actually tightens the belts at an emergency braking event (if you were leaning a little forward it will pull your ass back into the seat and tighten). It's kind of like when you were a kid sitting in the front seat of your mom's car and she hit the breaks and her arm would instinctively shoot out and ram you in the chest pushing your body back into the seat. Really caught me by surprise when this happened the first time.
Ahhh.. gotcha. Yeah, I read the original post about it differently. Thanks for the clarification!!
juniorbean is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
  #25  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
juniorbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The QC
Posts: 28,417
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno View Post
WTF...is Acura like the gateway to Infiniti?
Based on Car Talk and experience, seems Acura is more of a gateway to German cars... however, Infiniti is very close behind...
juniorbean is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 AM
  #26  
Runs on Dunkin
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: College Station
Age: 31
Posts: 1,810
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks really good man, I like the wheels/drop alot
1slo23 is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
  #27  
My Garage not
iTrader: (2)
 
wasupdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Westsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide
Posts: 2,120
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome ride! i'd much rather roll on stock wheels than those exe's though, to be honest.
wasupdog is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM
  #28  
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)
 
Majofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waffles, BU
Posts: 85,082
Received 10,501 Likes on 7,665 Posts
nice ride.. but WTF is up with the vanity plate? are you an exterminator? lol..
Majofo is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
  #29  
Got da Internet Goin Nutz
Thread Starter
 
bl^5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Land of Sugar, TEXAS
Age: 43
Posts: 1,997
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1slo23 View Post
Looks really good man, I like the wheels/drop alot
Thanks!

Originally Posted by wasupdog View Post
awesome ride! i'd much rather roll on stock wheels than those exe's though, to be honest.
Thanks. If I had the sport edition with stock 19's I would have stayed with them, but the 18's looked to small and bland. I got a KILLER deal on these too...

Originally Posted by Majofo View Post
nice ride.. but WTF is up with the vanity plate? are you an exterminator? lol..
College frat nick name...

Originally Posted by Pitman View Post
Congrats on the beautiful ride. We have another addition to Infinitizine family.
Thanks! We really need to make that move. BMW subforum and Infiniti subforum FTW!

Originally Posted by mrmako View Post
Very nice ride.....
Over here (and I think there too), the sport package has very nice 19" wheels, but for some reason, those wheels work with that Fuga..um, er, the M35/45.....
Thanks! My Fuga errr M35 is not a sport edition otherwise I would have stayed with factory wheels for sure.

Originally Posted by wrxyboy View Post
ive always loved the m35 or m45. They have alot VIP M's and if i were to sell my car this would be one of cars id consider.
I just found out about the VIP style recently, big dish wheels slammed and tucked. Not my cup of tea but it looks pretty cool when done correctly.
bl^5 is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
  #30  
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
CLtotheTL32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte
Age: 30
Posts: 35,842
Received 8,614 Likes on 5,767 Posts
Gorgeous car! I was looking for a M before my TL but I couldn't find one that was in my price range.

Get yourself a nicer camera! Those pictures don't give that car any justice
CLtotheTL32 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
neuronbob
3G RLX Tires, Wheels & Suspension
23
Yesterday 10:48 AM
emailnatec
5G TLX Tires, Wheels & Suspension
29
09-28-2018 04:27 PM
ceb
Acura ILX Discussion
2
09-27-2015 10:56 AM
kencepeda
3G TL Problems & Fixes
6
09-26-2015 05:13 PM
4drviper
3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension
2
09-23-2015 07:42 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Ride


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.