New Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
New Ride

I got a new ride last summer and I just got around to getting some things done to it and taking pictures.

It was a 5 year hiatus from having a nice car, I traded in my CL-S to get the wifey a SUV at the end of '03 and I took to driving her '94 Kia Sportage 4x4. She entered grad school full time so I added a '00 civic to the fleet along with two more kids! Then last summer she entered the working world again and told me I could get a ride for myself. I had a VERY HARD time making a decision between something practicle that could fit the whole family and something that suited my taste. The wifey pushed me to get the latter as we already had something practile.

So after looking for a long time I found a '06 BMW 330i w/ sport and nav packages that was sitting at BMW of Austin right after a huge hail storm came through. I figured I would get an excellent deal on it, get it repaired for cheap and then be good to go. The dealer, however, wouldn't budge on the PREDAMAGED price. So I ended up with...

2006 Infiniti M35 with Tech package.

Excuse my picture taking skills as they suck and my old digital camera doesn't help much.

I love the car. RWD will probably keep me away from Acura since we never see real snow in Houston. I wish I could have the Honda/Acura Navigation as the Infiniti user interface SUCKS A$$. I changed out the rims and did a mild drop, tinted the windows, and hacked the nav screen to keep it from limiting functionality while in motion. As an added bonus I can actually barely get three car seats in the back. If the wife doesn't get a new car soon, I'll throw some headrest monitors in at the end of this year.

Last edited by bl^5; 01-21-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the wheels, normally I think aftermarket wheels look terrible on M's. I really like the current M's for what they are, and am very eager to see the 2011 in person.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Looks awesome! Nice ride. Like the wheels too...

I've always loved these cars but have always been put off by the HUGE tails. Are any Infiniti owners doing anything with vinyl or anything to make them look more proportionate?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Congrats!

I'd love me a M45 sport
Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I love the wheels! Nice ride. Could you take interior pics?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Congrats!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M35 is one of the most underrated cars I like it.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Clean ride and I like the rims. M interior is super lux which interior trim do you have? I love the small things like how the seat belts tighten when braking hard. Birds eye nav system takes a little getting used to no doubt.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
i don't really like the rims but anyway, nice car!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
cool, welcome to the Infiniti family...
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by surfer rick
I love the small things like how the seat belts tighten when braking hard.
Doesn't that happen on all cars? It happened on every car I've ever owned. Kinda thought that's how seat belts were manufactured.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bl^5
I got a new ride last summer and I just got around to getting some things done to it and taking pictures.

It was a 5 year hiatus from having a nice car, I traded in my CL-S to get the wifey a SUV at the end of '03 and I took to driving her '94 Kia Sportage 4x4. She entered grad school full time so I added a '00 civic to the fleet along with two more kids! Then last summer she entered the working world again and told me I could get a ride for myself. I had a VERY HARD time making a decision between something practicle that could fit the whole family and something that suited my taste. The wifey pushed me to get the latter as we already had something practile.

So after looking for a long time I found a '06 BMW 330i w/ sport and nav packages that was sitting at BMW of Austin right after a huge hail storm came through. I figured I would get an excellent deal on it, get it repaired for cheap and then be good to go. The dealer, however, wouldn't budge on the PREDAMAGED price. So I ended up with...

2006 Infiniti M35 with Tech package.

Excuse my picture taking skills as they suck and my old digital camera doesn't help much.

I love the car. RWD will probably keep me away from Acura since we never see real snow in Houston. I wish I could have the Honda/Acura Navigation as the Infiniti user interface SUCKS A$$. I changed out the rims and did a mild drop, tinted the windows, and hacked the nav screen to keep it from limiting functionality while in motion. As an added bonus I can actually barely get three car seats in the back. If the wife doesn't get a new car soon, I'll throw some headrest monitors in at the end of this year.
Nice ride man and good to see you around.. My cousin has a M45 and it has so many gadgets. I love riding in it.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
Nice car and wheels. You are the 3rd person in a month that I know that got the same car. One of my friends got an 06 AWD M and another got the same car as yours but in the darker grey. Congrats, its a nice car.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Doesn't that happen on all cars? It happened on every car I've ever owned. Kinda thought that's how seat belts were manufactured.
Oh no it's more of an electronically controlled tightening. Not the physical aspect of the seat belt per se which you're talking about but the car's computer recognizes the hard braking and sensing an impending collision, electronically tightens the seat belts. I took a M35 out for a testdrive a few years back and the salesman (who also is a patient BTW) suggested I slam on the brakes without telling me about the seatbelt feature. It was kind of trippy to experience like I was being squeezed for lack of a better description

If other cars have this feature that's pretty cool. My 05 Element and 07 911 don't.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I love the wheels! Beautiful car man.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

WTF...is Acura like the gateway to Infiniti?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Congrats! Love the M's!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Mind filling me in on how you hacked the Navi to work while driving????

I picked up an amazing M35X for my mom with Rear DVD/Navi and Rear reclining seats (it was a $10K package on the M). These cars kick bu--. Night and day difference between the M and G interior wise.

Good luck with yours. Looks great
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I'm diggin' the wheels. They might look good on a Type S. Congrats on the ride!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 AM

Thanks for all the compliments! acurazine (or acura-cl.com for the old heads) will always be home for me. We need some infiniti sub forums here. Their current forums just don't cut it!

Looks awesome! Nice ride. Like the wheels too...

I've always loved these cars but have always been put off by the HUGE tails. Are any Infiniti owners doing anything with vinyl or anything to make them look more proportionate?
I haven't seen any infiniti owners do anything, but with the size of them I think it would be pretty difficult to camouflage them. Infiniti did make them smaller for the 08 refresh though. I actually like them but if they weren't LEDs I'd think differently.

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I love the wheels! Nice ride. Could you take interior pics?
Preciate it! I'll get some interior photos up one day. have to get the car seats out first!

Clean ride and I like the rims. M interior is super lux which interior trim do you have? I love the small things like how the seat belts tighten when braking hard. Birds eye nav system takes a little getting used to no doubt.
Thanks!
I have the tech (non sport) edition with nav, dvd, and 14 speaker dolby surround sound.

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
i don't really like the rims but anyway, nice car!
Thanks. The rims aren't for everybody, but the BMW I was originally looking at had the concave style rims and I really started liking the style. Not to mention I got an EXCELLENT deal on them and the wider width (9.5" all around) combined with the offset really improve the overall stance.

Seatbelts usually will stop moving as a car breaks (you can't move forward anymore than the tension present immediately before the brakes were hit)
This system actually tightens the belts at an emergency braking event (if you were leaning a little forward it will pull your ass back into the seat and tighten). It's kind of like when you were a kid sitting in the front seat of your mom's car and she hit the breaks and her arm would instinctively shoot out and ram you in the chest pushing your body back into the seat. Really caught me by surprise when this happened the first time.

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Nice ride man and good to see you around.. My cousin has a M45 and it has so many gadgets. I love riding in it.
This damn thing had gadgets galore! I had it for months before I realized the previous owner had a Sirius subscription that was paid up (I'll be upset when/if it expires).

It's D@MN good to be back in the H mang! Do you still have the Ack? I can't tell you how many times my wife thought you were me back in 02-03!

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
Mind filling me in on how you hacked the Navi to work while driving????

I picked up an amazing M35X for my mom with Rear DVD/Navi and Rear reclining seats (it was a $10K package on the M). These cars kick bu--. Night and day difference between the M and G interior wise.

Good luck with yours. Looks great
Thanks!
Your mom has the PREMIUM edition! It doesn't get to much better than that. It has a retractable back window shade too. I'm glad I didn't know about that trim level when I was looking for mine. It is pretty rare and I definitely would have tried to find one.

Just google M35 nav hack and you will find the info. It does two things it makes the system think the car is in park and it bypasses the speed detector.

Originally Posted by knight rider
Nice car and wheels. You are the 3rd person in a month that I know that got the same car. One of my friends got an 06 AWD M and another got the same car as yours but in the darker grey. Congrats, its a nice car.
Thanks! Consumer reports sold me on it. I also saw a post somewhere here where someone said as a used car it is the best bang for the buck. I'm all about a BARGAIN!

Originally Posted by iTimmy
I like the wheels, normally I think aftermarket wheels look terrible on M's. I really like the current M's for what they are, and am very eager to see the 2011 in person.
I am looking forward to the 2011 too. I'll probably replace mine with a used one in 5 years (or Lord willing a CTS-V)...

Originally Posted by vas25tl
Congrats!

I'd love me a M45 sport
Thanks. That V8 sounds like a beast with a good aftermarket exhaust system

Originally Posted by is300eater
cool, welcome to the Infiniti family...
Thanks! No torque steer FTW!

Originally Posted by ANC297
I love the wheels! Beautiful car man.
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:03 AM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive always loved the m35 or m45. They have alot VIP M's and if i were to sell my car this would be one of cars id consider.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Very nice ride.....

Over here (and I think there too), the sport package has very nice 19" wheels, but for some reason, those wheels work with that Fuga..um, er, the M35/45.....

Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the beautiful ride. We have another addition to Infinitizine family.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh no it's more of an electronically controlled tightening. Not the physical aspect of the seat belt per se which you're talking about but the car's computer recognizes the hard braking and sensing an impending collision, electronically tightens the seat belts. I took a M35 out for a testdrive a few years back and the salesman (who also is a patient BTW) suggested I slam on the brakes without telling me about the seatbelt feature. It was kind of trippy to experience like I was being squeezed for lack of a better description

If other cars have this feature that's pretty cool. My 05 Element and 07 911 don't.
Originally Posted by bl^5
Seatbelts usually will stop moving as a car breaks (you can't move forward anymore than the tension present immediately before the brakes were hit)

This system actually tightens the belts at an emergency braking event (if you were leaning a little forward it will pull your ass back into the seat and tighten). It's kind of like when you were a kid sitting in the front seat of your mom's car and she hit the breaks and her arm would instinctively shoot out and ram you in the chest pushing your body back into the seat. Really caught me by surprise when this happened the first time.
Ahhh.. gotcha. Yeah, I read the original post about it differently. Thanks for the clarification!!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
WTF...is Acura like the gateway to Infiniti?
Based on Car Talk and experience, seems Acura is more of a gateway to German cars... however, Infiniti is very close behind...
Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Runs on Dunkin

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks really good man, I like the wheels/drop alot
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
awesome ride! i'd much rather roll on stock wheels than those exe's though, to be honest.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
nice ride.. but WTF is up with the vanity plate? are you an exterminator? lol..
Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1slo23
Looks really good man, I like the wheels/drop alot
Thanks!

Originally Posted by wasupdog
awesome ride! i'd much rather roll on stock wheels than those exe's though, to be honest.
Thanks. If I had the sport edition with stock 19's I would have stayed with them, but the 18's looked to small and bland. I got a KILLER deal on these too...

Originally Posted by Majofo
nice ride.. but WTF is up with the vanity plate? are you an exterminator? lol..
College frat nick name...

Originally Posted by Pitman
Congrats on the beautiful ride. We have another addition to Infinitizine family.
Thanks! We really need to make that move. BMW subforum and Infiniti subforum FTW!

Originally Posted by mrmako
Very nice ride.....
Over here (and I think there too), the sport package has very nice 19" wheels, but for some reason, those wheels work with that Fuga..um, er, the M35/45.....
Thanks! My Fuga errr M35 is not a sport edition otherwise I would have stayed with factory wheels for sure.

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
ive always loved the m35 or m45. They have alot VIP M's and if i were to sell my car this would be one of cars id consider.
I just found out about the VIP style recently, big dish wheels slammed and tucked. Not my cup of tea but it looks pretty cool when done correctly.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Gorgeous car! I was looking for a M before my TL but I couldn't find one that was in my price range.

Get yourself a nicer camera! Those pictures don't give that car any justice