New car....what do yall think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009 | 11:21 AM
Pro

New car....what do yall think?

Hey everyone i posted a similar topic about 2 months ago, but then me and the wife decided to try to work on things. Welllllll now shes moving out next week and its over ( sucks ). So i've decided to get my self a gift. Meaning buying a car i've wanted but for the past 4 years could'nt bc of 2 car payments, wife, etc.....sooo i'ved narrowed down to 3 ( 4 really ) cars that i have in mind. This won't be right away sometime this summer.
2005-07 CTS-V- i like it has 4 doors 400hp/395lbtq/ Its 6speed, navi and gets 22mph hwy. I found one local with 25k on it with a 6yr/100k cert. warranty.
2003-04 Ford lightning- I love trucks, i've wanted one of these since they came back out in 01. I've been thinking of buying a small fishing boat and you can tow in them( th e SRT-10 was my first choice but you can't tow). They only
get like 16mph hwy though, but with you have 380hp/430lbs......
04 Z06/ 05 Vette- I love the zo6's but can not afford a new one. The z06 has 405hp and the 05 base has 400. i like the 05 bc i can get one with navi, b/c otherwise the inside looks kind of cheap i think. I've ALWAYS wanted a vette sincei was a little kid, KBB says the hwy mgp for the Z06 is around 28 and the new one is 26 by far the best MPG ( i drive 80 miles round trip, but i'm only filling up one car ).

Anyways i wanted an M3 but i'm not paying to get that fixed. This is not set in stone, i might just keep the TL, but fuck itl, i'm starting new, in a place i've only lived for a year, so i might as well treat my self, beause i have a rough road ahead of me. Money wise i'm ok, i have alot saved up and when i start school in aug. i will be getting 2800 a month from the GI BILL. Shes already signed a seperation agreement drawn up from my family's lawyer, she agreeded she wants nothing but her clothes, car, and cats.
Old 05-30-2009 | 11:24 AM
Runs on Dunkin

CTS-V does 22 mph? lol

Anyway, I'd avoid the 05 Vette, they have some issues like battery drainage and weaker transmissions

I'd go for a CTS-V. Have you considered an older M5?
Old 05-30-2009 | 11:36 AM
Rooting for Acura

Out of all of the vehicles you mentioned I'd go with the CTS-V. If not then just slap some new rims on the TL and call it a day. It's still hot.

edit: since gas milage isn't on the top of your list have you checked out the Dodge Charger SRT-8 That'd be my other pick.
Old 05-30-2009 | 11:50 AM
Pro

Well when i really think about it, its going to be between an 04 z06- and CTS-V. Unless i find a hell of a deal on an 05. I would LOVE and older M5, but like i said i don't want to pay if somthing goes wrong. I would rather fix and CTS-V or vette then a BMW. Plus i've found 3 CTS-V's with a certifed warranty and 2 Z06's with the same. Though the Z06's have higher millage 50k each and the Caddys are in the 20s. ....i've looked at the SRT-8s and they just don't do it for me, but i might go drive one.....maybe a new camaro?
Old 05-30-2009 | 12:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I had a Lightning and enjoyed it overall. Be prepared to make some sacrifices, however, if you purchase one. It is NOT a car and rides and handles accordingly. For a truck it's performance is great, but it's still a truck. At times it becomes tiring to drive. And depending on the year and build, and if you modify it, you'll soon be introduced to the lovely problem of spark plugs backing out of their holes. For some reason Ford initially failed to grasp that spark plugs need to be seated more than a couple revolutions. Boost, detonation, and then plugs backing off doesn't make for enjoyable driving.

Terry
Old 05-30-2009 | 01:35 PM
Drifting

are high performance domestics ( CTS-V, Z06) really that much cheaper to mainttain than german cars?
Old 05-30-2009 | 01:39 PM
Employee #13

i'd get the CTS-V or an M3...fuck the other two. no way in hell i'd waste money on a Lightning, and i've never liked vettes. Do it big and just get a GT-R. that's what i want next lol
Old 05-30-2009 | 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd wait until everything is finalized with the little lady before you spend any money. You never know what will happen and she may change her mind.

That said, mid-20's I'd be looking at an S4, maybe a little bit more money and an NSX. The Vette is a good idea also. I'd axe the truck and likely the CTS-V only b/c of their rear-end problems.
Old 05-30-2009 | 02:32 PM
Employee #13

Originally Posted by juniorbean
I'd wait until everything is finalized with the little lady before you spend any money. You never know what will happen and she may change her mind.

That said, mid-20's I'd be looking at an S4, maybe a little bit more money and an NSX. The Vette is a good idea also. I'd axe the truck and likely the CTS-V only b/c of their rear-end problems.
+10000000

she could change her mind, or decide to screw you and your credit to hell...too many variables still out there.
Old 05-30-2009 | 03:31 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Despite the amicable split, be sure to ink the divorce deal as mentioned above before you buy a new toy.

I say get the Lightning.
Old 05-30-2009 | 06:12 PM
Pro

well i really think it will be a ZO6. I have just loved those cars for ever! I like the M3 and the S4 but i've always been an american muscle guy ( owed 2 f bodies). I know that fixing an M3 would cost a crazy amount in labor, My mom said when she bought the BMW it was 200bucks just to walk in the damn door. She can afford that, not me. Considering i know alittle bit more about the LSx engines, and have a place to work on em ( and a good friend who does ), i might be able to replace things my self etc...i had a 06 jetta, the AC compresser shattered and they had to replace the who system, it was over 3k for that, and thats a VW. I'm going to wait untill the end, but shes already signed an aggrement.
Old 05-30-2009 | 06:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ODUB
i'd get the CTS-V or an M3...fuck the other two. no way in hell i'd waste money on a Lightning, and i've never liked vettes. Do it big and just get a GT-R. that's what i want next lol
yeah that would be cool, but i think my budget of mid/high 20's might be Just a little out of the range of a GT-R ( maybe a down payment )
Old 05-30-2009 | 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Fireguy0826
well i really think it will be a ZO6. I have just loved those cars for ever!
I had been thinking about these for a while... but I decided that if I was going to do that, I'd look at a C6 Vette instead. The C6 is a fairly large leap over the C5, and the C6 only has 5 less HP then a C5 Z06 anyway... so it's kind of a win/win.
Old 05-30-2009 | 06:43 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by teranfon
For some reason Ford initially failed to grasp that spark plugs need to be seated more than a couple revolutions. Boost, detonation, and then plugs backing off doesn't make for enjoyable driving.
Terry
Good Lord!
Old 05-30-2009 | 08:29 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by juniorbean
I had been thinking about these for a while... but I decided that if I was going to do that, I'd look at a C6 Vette instead. The C6 is a fairly large leap over the C5, and the C6 only has 5 less HP then a C5 Z06 anyway... so it's kind of a win/win.

and the insurance should be less than the z06.
Old 05-31-2009 | 04:50 AM

The C6 interior is better than the C5's but performance wise the 05-07 C6 is behind the C5 Z06. I guess its not so widely known that the LS6 was underrated, while the LS2 was more accurately rated. Given what many Z06s dyno at, the LS6 makes around 425 hp in reality, and the handling is even better than the C6. I think among the best times, the C5 Z06 is as much as half a second faster in the 1/4 mile and on a road course its an even bigger difference. But the C6 is more comfortable too.... so its up to you.

I've never really liked the 1G CTS.... I mean a cheap interior is a cheap interior, but an ugly interior is just something else. IMO it looks really awkward, like there's a computer tower sticking out of the center stack with controls on it. If you like it then its a great mix of luxury and performance for the money. Not to mention the wheel-hop issues.
Old 06-01-2009 | 05:50 PM
Pro

made a choice!!!

Ok after alot of thinking and test driving over the past 2 days i'm going to buy a Z06! Well not right away but somtime in the upcomming months. I think it will be fall or so, and i'll have alot of time to really find the perfect one! Plus i can sell my TL and not do a trade in, that way i can make my down payment back. With the marker i don't know how much i could get but i owe 10k on the car its a 05 with 38k.

I test drove a CTS-V and liked it alot, it was fast and i liked the navi, but the z06 in my opinion was hands down my fav. It handled SO well, was fast and gets better MGP then the V. Its rated at 28hwy which is damn near what my TL is and its goit 130 more hp and runs 12s! Plus i've wannted one forever. I also drove a 03 lightning, it was fast, and fun to drive, but i really want a 6spd and the MPG is just horrible at 16hwy. I know its not what its all about, but when i can get a 400hp car, with 28mpg....shit, plus with GM the way they are right now, i'm seeing some GREAT deals right now on the vettes, i found a 04 with 28k for 24999...KBB is 31k, plus i figure around fall time the prices could drop alittle bit more!
Old 06-01-2009 | 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Good choice, and also a good choice to wait a few months just in case the ex decides to screw you over.
Old 06-01-2009 | 07:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dicorp
are high performance domestics ( CTS-V, Z06) really that much cheaper to mainttain than german cars?

no, they are as bad if not worse.. even more so with GM and Chrysler in BK..

I'm waiting now 6 weeks on back ordered warranty parts from Chrysler because they can't afford to pay their suppliers.. and it's a $60 lower from radius arm.. not a high demand part..
Old 06-01-2009 | 10:17 PM
fap fap fap

yeah def. wait til the ink dries. my uncle had a seperation agreement with his wife signed and everything was all good then a couple weeks later she changed her mind and ended up getting most of their belongings
Old 06-02-2009 | 08:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Excellent choice, I've driven C5 Z06's at GM driving events at FedEx Field. ALOT OF FUN to drive.

And like others said wait until everything is finalized before buying it.
Old 06-02-2009 | 08:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Dicorp
Yes

Don't know any Z06 owners, but a few C5 and a couple C6 owners. With the exception of tires, the cost of maintenance is far less for late gen Vette's than German cars in general.
Old 06-02-2009 | 08:55 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Good choice. I missed this thread the first time through, but that would've been my suggestion from your choices. I have no doubt you'll love it.
Old 06-08-2009 | 01:21 PM
Pro

update on my new car serch..

Hey whets up everyone. I posted a week or so back about buying a new car as a divorce gift to my self here's where imp at so far. After talking with my lawyer and reading VA state law. I've found that per VA State law the date of separation is also a valuation date. This means at the date of separation all monies and assets bought or made are not considered marital property but individual property. Further more he said that if she's signs the property/separation agreement that she couldn't come back and amend it unless I agreed to it. So She's signed the agreement witch in the 4th clause states that anything bought or money made after the date of sep. the other party cannot come back and claim it as marital property. So I straight out asked my lawyer, if I buy a new car during this time, can she comeback and claim it. He said no because of VA state law ( then explained what I just told yall above), and because she signed an contract stated anything you buy after sep cannot be claimed unless the other party agrees to it.

So. I'm moving in with a buddy of mine which will save me 600 a month on rent. I'm now looking for my Z06. I've contacted my auto INS and my premium will go up about $12 a month over the TL, which is a lot less than I really expected to hear from them. I buying a 03-04 Z06 when every sell my TL. I figure that I could get 2-3k more selling it outright rather than trading. I owe about 10k on the TL so I'm trying to make at least 7-8kback if I trade I think I'll be lucky to get 5. So wish me luck in my search. I figure it will take me a while to really find the right car, I've been browsing and found several but I'm trying to find one stock or very very close. So the search is on!!

Last edited by Fireguy0826; 06-08-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2009 | 01:25 PM
I drive a Subata.

i'd just keep the TL.. but it's your car so.. good luck searching it!
Old 06-08-2009 | 01:27 PM
Pro

well if i can't find the right car at the right price i will. I love my TL but i've always dreamed of having a z06 so F*ck it! Im still young and i have the whole world infront of me. I think i deserve to be happy in everyway, so if that means buying a vette, why not.
Old 06-08-2009 | 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You genuinely seem to be a decent guy, and please don't interpret my post as anything but helpful advice from an old guy.

Don't let the divorce cloud your thinking in regards to a new car. I can recall your post in D&R and it sounds as if you were rightfully hurt with the entire situation. If you want a new car and feel you deserve one then that's fine. It sounds as if the divorce with be amicable and you will leave with what you brought into and worked for while in the marriage.

Personally I'd keep the TL. Save your money and get a war chest. The US housing market, as is much of the world, is in a slump. Save a few bucks and find a decent place to purchase. You're employed, interest rates are low, and prices are cheap. In a few short years the TL will be paid off, you'll have some equity, and you'll be all set to purchase something when your thirty-year-old crisis comes about.

Terry
Old 06-08-2009 | 02:03 PM
Another TL Lover

^ wow...thats some really good advice
Old 06-08-2009 | 02:41 PM
Your garage

I'm going to go with Terry here. Move in with a buddy and buy a z06? Sounds a little odd to me. Get things in order, keep the TL until you have things all straightened out, THEN look into a sports car.
Old 06-08-2009 | 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Terry's advice FTW.
Old 06-08-2009 | 02:59 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I gotta agree with Terry as well but the Z06 is a really really fun car to drive...
Old 06-08-2009 | 03:04 PM
Pro

[COLOR=#800000]
[I]Hey whets up everyone. I posted a week or so back about buying a new car as a divorce gift to my self here's where imp at so far. After talking with my lawyer and reading VA state law. I've found that per VA State law the date of separation is also a valuation date. This means at the date of separation all monies and assets bought or made are not considered marital property but individual property.
sorry about your divorce, good luck with your Z06. TL to Z06! HUGE change
Old 06-08-2009 | 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

You do seem like a nice guy... but maybe a bit of an attention whore ? I mean, do you really need to post a new topic every time you come up with a new thought related to this? This is the third time I have had to merge a new topic of yours into the topic you already created on this originally.

That said... sorry about the divorce (again). Good luck on the Z06 hunt (again).
Old 06-08-2009 | 05:10 PM
Pro

Well heres the deal with my move. If i break my lease now its going to cost me 3k just to do so. My good freind from the USMC also a firefighter in my area is going through the same thing i am, but alot worse. He has kids etc etc. So hes been hit with 1200/mo for child support. After talking to my apartment office, i could move appartments for nothing as long as i sign a years lease. Right now i'm paying 1k a month for a one bedroom. After talking with my freind we could get a nice big 2bed 2 bath for 1200. So i'd be saving around 600 a month with utilites and rent. I don't really want to buy a house just yet, i know the market is great right now but where i live its still really exspensive to buy. Starting in Aug. i will be going back to school and getting 2800 a month from my GI BILL. So add that to my pay already it's a nice chunk of change. I'm going to save up while in school only a 2 year, and after its all said and done should come out with a really nice number i could then put down on a house. I guess i've just really wanted one for a long time and now that i'm back out on my own, i just figure, why not. I put alot of time effort into the last 4 years of my life. She fucked it up in the end, i think you know what, F*ck it, i should just do somthing for my self. I think your advice was good terry, and i'm still not 100% on buying a vette, its just very tempting, and i feel like i should do somthing for my self that i've wanted to do for a real long time. Its my turn to be selfish!

Juniorbean: sorry for all the post's i'll keep it down to a min. I really was'nt trying to be a problem or anything. Well guys keep it safe!
Old 06-08-2009 | 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Juniorbean: sorry for all the post's i'll keep it down to a min. I really was'nt trying to be a problem or anything. Well guys keep it safe!
No worries... you're not a problem. I was half tongue in cheek with my reply, but it's hard to measure tone on the internet

And feel free to post as much as you'd like... but you do not need to start a new topic each time... just keep this one going!!