My Elise -mods, pics and what not, update pg 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
My Elise -mods, pics and what not, update pg 3

So as some of you know Ive owned this car now over 2 years.. Ive done some minor mods to it....(ricer wing, diffuser, exhaust and what not)

Im at a point where Im deciding just how much track time Im actually going to put the car through. Sector 111 offers to take your car and build a monster track machine out of it....http://sector111cars.com/lotus-elise-exige-katana/

I guess what Im struggling with is over time Im sure if I did all the mods I want to do on the car I would eventually spend the the same amount of money they want to do everything at once.

I mean i love working on the car dont get me wrong and I dont have 15K just sitting in my mattress. But would it take the fun away of doing the stuff myself?

Plus for what they do it sure seems like quite alot. Its not like what I have right now isnt track ready.....Ive done about 20 sessions and that damn car hasnt even skipped a beat....

what do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
If I had the money I'd go and get it all done now. You don't have the satisfaction of building it yourself, but also if your not a gearhead, you don't have the issues of piecing things together. It's nice seeing someone having a track car enjoying it at the track.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
take out a loan and do it
Old 03-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by myron
take out a loan and do it
funny you should say that.....that is an option....

Im just not sure i go enough to justify it...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
You're getting a loan for $15k, and you're not sure how to spend it?
I'll give you my dealer's number, he can help you with that.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
funny you should say that.....that is an option....

Im just not sure i go enough to justify it...

Having to make those payments would remind you to get your ass out there more often.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I would NOT take out a loan for something like this.

$15,000 is a lot of money to spend at once, and I don't think you'll drive off after getting your car back thinking that it'll be money well spent. If I were you, I'd take my time, add each mod individually, and enjoy the value of them individually.

It sounds like you don't really need this right now. You said yourself you love working on the car, it's already plenty competitive at the track, and you're not really comfortable spending that much money at once.

Take your time and enjoy the car yourself.
The following 8 users liked this post by Aman:
civicdrivr (03-11-2012), JS + XES (03-07-2012), juniorbean (03-07-2012), nspec_ya4 (04-22-2012), rossv1 (03-11-2012), Sly Raskal (03-11-2012), StreetKA (03-06-2012), trancemission (03-07-2012) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

You're exactly right Aman...I was just talking to wookie about this.

though it would be easy to get all this done at once it would take away the fun of doing what I want to do when I want to do it.

and no, loan is an option but I doubt Id ever go that route.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
You're getting a loan for $15k, and you're not sure how to spend it?
I'll give you my dealer's number, he can help you with that.
thats not what I said at all....pay attention.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I say DIY. From back in the 3G days, I remember you liked working on your car; why give that up? You currently enjoy it at the track. As you add mods along the way, keep enjoying it. There's no need to jump from what you've got to something that's X levels above that all at once, is there? I say just build it and enjoy the drive as you go.
The following users liked this post:
trancemission (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
This is only my opinion and not meant to offend anyone. Most of us are car guys/gals and enjoy our machines very much. Each of us have varying degrees of taste and knowledge and modify their vehicles accordingly.

I do not let anyone modify or repair a car for me if I can help it. To me, owning a car that you love and care for yourself is an emotional experience. Whether it be repairs, restorations, or modifications, I find I enjoy the experiences of working on a car much more enlightening than writing a cheque. Doing something to your own car makes you that much more aware of the processes involved and what each individual part is for. You become familiar with the individual parts, and soon realize and respect it's workings and how it adds to the wholeness of the car. Doing the work on any car makes that car an extension of yourself. Is it easy? Nope. But you learn. And you get better.

And when it's done, and the garage door goes open and the car moves into the moonlight, and it's driven for the first time after you've done something to it, it's a very enlightening experience. Paying for modifications are for spectators. Doing it yourself are for enthusiasts. There is a profound difference.
The following 5 users liked this post by teranfon:
civicdrivr (03-11-2012), distortedolskool (03-07-2012), JS + XES (03-07-2012), trancemission (03-06-2012), TylerT (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Well said Terry...and chilldog, you're right.

Everyone that Ive met with a Lotus at the track has been proud of the fact that they've done all the work themselves.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
All kidding aside, I would say that although you have that many sessions under your belt, you're still working to perfection to be a better driver. I would do the stuff on your own adding to it little by little as you get more and more experienced. Once you get tired and you've maxed out all you can do to the car yourself, then I would tell you to consider a more major upgrade like the S111 mod kits.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by teranfon
This is only my opinion and not meant to offend anyone. Most of us are car guys/gals and enjoy our machines very much. Each of us have varying degrees of taste and knowledge and modify their vehicles accordingly.

I do not let anyone modify or repair a car for me if I can help it. To me, owning a car that you love and care for yourself is an emotional experience. Whether it be repairs, restorations, or modifications, I find I enjoy the experiences of working on a car much more enlightening than writing a cheque. Doing something to your own car makes you that much more aware of the processes involved and what each individual part is for. You become familiar with the individual parts, and soon realize and respect it's workings and how it adds to the wholeness of the car. Doing the work on any car makes that car an extension of yourself. Is it easy? Nope. But you learn. And you get better.

And when it's done, and the garage door goes open and the car moves into the moonlight, and it's driven for the first time after you've done something to it, it's a very enlightening experience. Paying for modifications are for spectators. Doing it yourself are for enthusiasts. There is a profound difference.

Plus, if something breaks when you're on the track or anywhere for the matter and you've done all the work yourself, you'll be able to make those repairs within reason. Knowledge is power!
trancemission (03-07-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Tough decision. I wouldn't take out a loan for this. I'd rather piecemeal it, doing it myself or (as in my case) having it done in front of me so I can understand how the parts are bolted together.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Thanks guys...I agree with all of you.

Its just tempting thats all.....but I would much rather do the work myself..
Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
Thanks guys...I agree with all of you.

Its just tempting thats all.....but I would much rather do the work myself..
Dude, you're one of the most capable people on this site as far as "do-it-yourself" projects. Theres no doubt in my mind you'd feel satisfaction every time you turned that key. Plus, with how much you like to intricately describe your car to other people when they ask, its a no brainer. Another factor is if anything goes wrong down the road, you wont have to call them and sit on hold or wait for someone to call you back, you'll know whats wrong and how to fix it.

Its obvious you aren't getting rid of the car anytime soon, or ever. Take your time with the mods, don't go broke and drive it to the ground.

Last edited by MarbleGT; 03-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would do it myself and over time. While it may take a little longer you get to learn more about the car and setting it up which is way more valuable. I personally would start with the handling mods first. You will enjoy them more than more power and not being able to use it.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I'd do it little by little. I like the idea of and excitement from putting something new in every now and again... and the opportunity it gives to work on the car and getting to know the car inside out. Planning the next mod can be fun too. Doing the mods one at a time keeps things fresh and exciting and it gives me something to look forward to.

Getting all the mods done at once would be neat, but it would IMO kill the excitement of being able to work on the car. It's like, okay... the car is completely modded... now what? I'd probably get bored after a while and would search for another car to mod.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
I would NOT take out a loan for something like this.

$15,000 is a lot of money to spend at once, and I don't think you'll drive off after getting your car back thinking that it'll be money well spent. If I were you, I'd take my time, add each mod individually, and enjoy the value of them individually.

It sounds like you don't really need this right now. You said yourself you love working on the car, it's already plenty competitive at the track, and you're not really comfortable spending that much money at once.

Take your time and enjoy the car yourself.
Well said. I try to avoid loans on cars in general... but would definitely avoid doing it on something like this. Cars are depreciating assets, and modifications only make it worse since you'll need to find a very specific buyer come resale time on a modified car.

Looks like you seem to agree with everyone... but just wanted to add one more vote for doing it yourself over time.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
Paying for modifications are for spectators. Doing it yourself are for enthusiasts. There is a profound difference.
agreed. save up, collect the parts and slowly upgrade. i love it when people stand there and are astonished by all the work you completed yourself.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Looks like you seem to agree with everyone... but just wanted to add one more vote for doing it yourself over time.
and this is why I love this site....yall are like family :gheyhug:....

I knew i would get some great feedback.

I look forward to doing more mods on this car.....theres such a big learning curve for me on it....not just with mods but driving it as well. Coming out of the main straight you have an instructor telling you brake later...brake later.....man I about have an anxiety attack at the end of that straight.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd agree with those who suggested you take your time piecing together your car. Financials aside, you're mitigating the enjoyment of your car, as aforementioned by Chilldog, you enjoyed working on your 3G TL, why take that feeling away on your Lotus.

Additionally, if you piece together your car yourself, you'll have a better understanding of how each individual item improves track time and it's effect on the car. If you were to perform all the modifications at once it'll be difficult for you to make the neccesarry adjustments and you'll end up with a great track performer, but your skills will need to be honed for the new found power/grip/braking/etc.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by Eoanou
Additionally, if you piece together your car yourself, you'll have a better understanding of how each individual item improves track time and it's effect on the car. If you were to perform all the modifications at once it'll be difficult for you to make the neccesarry adjustments and you'll end up with a great track performer, but your skills will need to be honed for the new found power/grip/braking/etc.
very good point!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Another vote for DIY.

Great advise in this thread.

What an efficient thread.

I bet Saintor would approve this thread.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Quick drive by my daughter filmed of me about 2 weeks ago.

http://youtu.be/okyE1N3Qty8?hd=1
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
sector 111 is a rip off!!
yes they have some quality parts that i have bought, but this package seems sketchy.
i am in the lotus community and have owned multiple lotus. you should really join this site, you will learn a lot.
http://www.lotussport.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3194
i have a honda powered elise myself, 15K for a supercharger seems ridiculous.
if your gonna spend 15k get a setup like this compound charged lotus, 650rwhp ...

Last edited by MNlotus; 03-07-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

oh Ive seen that Ronin.....that is badass.

It wasnt 15K for just the S/C.....if you look at what they list its quite a bit.

But Ill be sure to check that site out. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
All kidding aside, I would say that although you have that many sessions under your belt, you're still working to perfection to be a better driver. I would do the stuff on your own adding to it little by little as you get more and more experienced. Once you get tired and you've maxed out all you can do to the car yourself, then I would tell you to consider a more major upgrade like the S111 mod kits.

E-man... just keep on learning/loving that car... when u need moar power, you can add another mod... i know you love working on the car, and it would take all the fun out to just send it away to get done...
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
Ethan,
My S2000 is a less capable track car than your elise, but I am still not a good enough driver to use 100% of what the car has available.

Shoofin has it nailed, keep on with your car as it is, since it is very capable and when you max it out, then move on to bigger and better additions.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Ronin video is nice...wish we had roads like that around here.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

VF Stage 2 - 'nuff said!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m8sGOv6Ga78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
^^ I wish that vid kept going, fun to watch.

When I had my Evo doing all the work on the car was half the fun, yea things didn't always go as planned (tools, misfitting parts, etc) but man when things did it was a great feeling and made it that much more special.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
man all this talk and vids is making me sooo look forward to summer and lapping days
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

VF is the one I will be going for....talked to a bunch of guys about it.

Ive also been pondering this kit...
http://store.radiumauto.com/index.ph...&id=2&parent=1

Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Changed the name, I like where this is going
Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Quick question, do you think you have peaked your driving skills as the car sits now?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:10 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's my suggestion; post some pictures first.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Of what?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Quick question, do you think you have peaked your driving skills as the car sits now?
No I have a ways to go.

I met a guy at the track during one of my session that was driving his Exige out there. He was in the advanced group. I couldnt believe how fast he was...he passed someone every time he came around on the main straight. He was passing GT3's, ZR1's...you name it.

I spoke with him for a while. He said the car has a big learning curve and to just take my time. Soon I will get to a point where I will want better brakes, more power etc....he said just enjoy it now. Which is pretty much what Im doing. I learn more and more each time I go out there. Next time should be really fun since they cleared me to go by myself.

Quick Reply: My Elise -mods, pics and what not, update pg 3