Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Hahhaa get it! It's sexy!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:16 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by picus
I'm so weak. I ordered the front aero lip. I also didn't wait for my wheels to order a matte black grille. I changed by angel eyes and fogs too.
Do you know what kind of bulbs 335i uses as low beams? Is it d2s or ...

Where did you buy the angel eyes modules from?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm so weak. I ordered the front aero lip. I also didn't wait for my wheels to order a matte black grille. I changed by angel eyes and fogs too.

Still debating the rear from that kit above, I will probably go for it knowing my lack of willpower.
dude, do anything to you car!! it still will look good. I'm enjoying it every second of it. btw, did you change your name? Is this like a tran? I should change mine too.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hrj
Do you know what kind of bulbs 335i uses as low beams? Is it d2s or ...

Where did you buy the angel eyes modules from?
The DRLs are the angel eyes. The low beams are the xenons; not sure which bulb.

The angel eyes on an e92 are not a module, just powered by an H8 35W bulb, so the replacement is really easy. I got GP Thunder 8500k from ebay, took about 20 minutes to replace. Same with the cornering light (H3) and the fogs (H8).

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
dude, do anything to you car!! it still will look good. I'm enjoying it every second of it. btw, did you change your name? Is this like a tran? I should change mine too.
I had my name changed ya. I go by picus on every forum known to man but on this was I was "JackieO" so I thought I'd have it changed.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
2006 TL

the E92 kit made me drool. that thing's beautiful! (Moreso the front than the back, however.)
Old 02-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Very nice. I really like what you did with the fogs and the angel eyes this time around. Oh yeah, and I'm lovn' that black grille too.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:45 AM
mmmmmm....

The angel eyes on an e92 are not a module, just powered by an H8 35W bulb, so the replacement is really easy. I got GP Thunder 8500k from ebay, took about 20 minutes to replace. Same with the cornering light (H3) and the fogs (H8).

I had my name changed ya. I go by picus on every forum known to man but on this was I was "JackieO" so I thought I'd have it changed.
I liked the Jackieo....
Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lscld
Very nice. I really like what you did with the fogs and the angel eyes this time around. Oh yeah, and I'm lovn' that black grille too.
In that pic the angels eyes/fogs are actually different colors on each side. I was messing with different bulbs. I ended up with this:

I still wish they were a bit brighter, but I am sure as more bulbs are released they will get brighter.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when did the BMW logo go to black and white? or did you change that too?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danny25
when did the BMW logo go to black and white? or did you change that too?
I changed it, it's still the regular blue/white stock.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 AM
mmmmmm....

I changed it, it's still the regular blue/white stock.
I like the black and white one...
Old 02-16-2007, 01:42 AM
mmmmmm....

In that pic the angels eyes/fogs are actually different colors on each side. I was messing with different bulbs. I ended up with this:

I still wish they were a bit brighter, but I am sure as more bulbs are released they will get brighter.
how bright do you want them to be? I think its bright enough for parking light. anything brighter than that then it defeat the whole purpose of being parking light.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

They aren't parking lights; the e92 uses the angel eyes as DRLs. When you're outside they aren't as bright as the stock lights: http://gtaindetail.com/fp/335i/kevin/snow/1.jpg

Not a big deal, they work as DRLs so I will just leave them until something a little brighter comes out.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:11 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I test drove a 335i sedan today and my salesman was an ex-race car driver. He took a 90 degree turn at 50 miles an hour and the car just stuck like glue.

One thing I noticed that concerned me was when we initially started the car and idled that I could feel a bit of vibration through the passenger seat (salesman drove to our test drive location). It was not that bad but just something that I could feel. I attributed it to the car being cold (it was 40 degrees at the time) but I was still a bit concerned that a vehicle as expensive and technologicaly advanced would transmit this oscillation thoroughout the cabin. Can anyone confirm if this is normal?

Short of that I am just waiting to test drive the new Merc C Class before I make my final decision.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:24 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Mine has no vibration at all in the cabin. Well, my gf has never complaint about anything in the cabin, I assumed there is no vibration at all, at least I can't feel any, the ride is superb.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:27 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, I thought 335i uses the same modules as other bimmers. I just ordered the H8 8500k on ebay.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hrj
Mine has no vibration at all in the cabin. Well, my gf has never complaint about anything in the cabin, I assumed there is no vibration at all, at least I can't feel any, the ride is superb.

Thanks. I was driving the demo vehicle and I am pretty sure that it has not gone through a proper break-in. Hell, the dealer was driving it like he stole it.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsi00154
I test drove a 335i sedan today and my salesman was an ex-race car driver. He took a 90 degree turn at 50 miles an hour and the car just stuck like glue.

One thing I noticed that concerned me was when we initially started the car and idled that I could feel a bit of vibration through the passenger seat (salesman drove to our test drive location). It was not that bad but just something that I could feel. I attributed it to the car being cold (it was 40 degrees at the time) but I was still a bit concerned that a vehicle as expensive and technologicaly advanced would transmit this oscillation thoroughout the cabin. Can anyone confirm if this is normal?

Short of that I am just waiting to test drive the new Merc C Class before I make my final decision.
It's hard to say. When the car is really cold the RPM's will jump from 600-800-1000 right when the car starts until it settles around ~700rpm (takes maybe 20 seconds?). Maybe that was it? I don't feel any vibration, just the engine changing RPMs as it gets ready to go. My G35 did the same thing but it was a little less obvious.

If it's something that bothers you I would definitely try another car though. I am sure they have others on their lot that you could just start cold and see.

Originally Posted by hrj
Thanks, I thought 335i uses the same modules as other bimmers. I just ordered the H8 8500k on ebay.
Cool. It's easy to do all three sets of lights. There are how-to's on e90post, it'll take you about 40 minutes to do all three the first time if you don't run into any problems.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm going to stir the pot here ... no hatin' on the 335, but I actually thought about a 335 over a 2008 G35 coupe until I read this on g35driver:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...=139577&page=2

I posted this a few months ago, but, what the he!!, the topic of the 335 vs. G35 came up again, so why not my previous comments come up again as well? These are also just my own personal thoughts; there are few absolute “rights” and “wrongs” or “goods” or “bads” with cars. That’s the beauty of taste and freedom of choice, just buy what you like and enjoy it.

I was in the same position, and spent a lot of time thinking about the 335 vs. the 2008 G35 Coupe. I am a hard core car nut, have owned 95 cars in the past 33 years. I am completely brand agnostic, have no loyalty to any particular one. I have restored, raced, and worked on many cars, and look at them from perspectives that most people don't (I also tend to be a perfectionist, and want reliability and fair value as well as being fun to drive) . My 04 G35 Coupe was one of my favorite cars ever, it was such a great balance of exotic looks, excellent performance, real-world practicality, and reasonable price. I have owned a couple of BMW's, and looked long and hard at the 335 (and actually placed an order for one, which I cancelled a couple of months ago). With BMW today, I would suggest it might not be as much fun to own one as it is to drive one.

The 335 is an absolute blast to drive, as are most BMW’s. It is a great balance of performance with luxury. The company should also be saluted for offering manual transmissions in many of their models at a time when most companies don’t. However, BMW has done a fantastic job of marketing itself over the past 20 years. Where do you think the whole “ultimate driving machine” mantra came from? BMW itself, with brilliant, persistent marketing. The company has set standards for skillful product placement. So many movies and television shows over the past two decades have BMW’s in them whenever “upscale, affluent” lifestyles or “beautiful people” are depicted. BMW itself now touts the “BMW lifestyle” in their marketing. Their efforts have been phenomenally successful. Most people think “BMW” when they think “upscale” car, or “upscale” lifestyle. Just like the cigarette advertising of the second half of this century, a whole generation – us – now has BMW successfully branded on our psyches as the “it” car to have. Most people that are – or want to be – “upscale” want to have a BMW (like, it seems, most of the population of Southern California).

IMHO, for many years BMW richly deserved that reputation. The 2002, which started the whole legend, was a fun to drive, beautifully engineered, reliable, reasonably priced car. Unfortunately (also IMHO), BMW’s today are a different animal, particularly epitomized by the 335. After 20 years of aggressive marketing, and successfully brainwashing most people into reflexively being willing to buy anything with the blue and white propeller, BMW now seems to be resting on its laurels and focused on maximizing profit.

If you take a close, critical, objective look at the 335, it is apparent that the company has gone through it with a fine toothed comb looking for ways to cut costs and maximize their profits. I know people in the car biz, and they admit that they look at everything and ask, “will people still buy it for the same price if we do this”? Look at the 335’s windshield wipers – flimsy and unacceptable on a Kia. Many of the interior control knobs likewise would shame a Hyundai. No spare tire (saves $50, and most people will still buy it and pay the same price as if it had one). It doesn’t even have an oil dipstick, so you can’t even check the condition of the oil. “Driving dynamics” and “chassis perfection”? Yes, it’s a lot of fun to drive, but the 335 doesn’t even have a limited slip differential, which means it’s essentially sending all its power through a single driven wheel. Save $5 here and $10 there (or a few hundred without the LSD), the next thing you know, it’s $2,000 more profit per unit, an impressive accomplishment in the razor-thin margins of the automobile industry.

The 335 has also been designed to make owners dependent on the dealer, and addicted to expensive – and not easily substituted – maintenance. To wit: composite brake rotors, which cannot be turned and must be replaced at every brake job (20,000 miles or so), to the tune of $740. Those flimsy windshield wipers that you can’t get anywhere else? $48. I got quotes for oil changes from two dealers (proprietary tools, have to go to the dealer to get it done): $130 and $200. For an oil change!

BMW’s brilliant marketing also promotes “free maintenance”. Which, of course, it isn’t – the cost is just built into the price up-front. The “free” maintenance also gets you oil changes every 15,000 miles (= 3 oil changes during the warranty period). Even a company that builds engines as fine as BMW cannot repeal the laws of physics and metallurgy. While synthetic oils certainly last longer than conventional, this is partially offset by the higher operating temperatures that are used to extract better efficiency – and as a result, shorten oil life. This is especially true in a turbo engine like the 335 (turbos actually get red hot in operation). After 5,000-6,000 miles of this kind of thermal stress, even the best synthetic oil is going to have its shear properties significantly degraded. Bottom line, 15,000 mile oil changes will get almost any engine through the warranty period without any problems, but I would hate to see what the bearings look like after 100,000 miles – or own the engine once it’s out of warranty. Even on the BMW forums many fans are seeing the 335 as a “lease and return”, one to have fun with but that you wouldn’t want to own once the warranty has expired.

Which is the culmination of BMW’s shrewd marketing: lease their cars, and once the warranty and lease are up, lease a new one. Like a smart drug dealer, get the customer hooked, and then keep them addicted and regularly coming back for more. It is a classic, brilliant business strategy to move a product from a periodic capital purchase (buy a car every several years) to a continuous income stream (lease payments for life). It maximizes and stabilizes the company’s cash flow. I take my hat off my (balding) head to BMW for figuring out how to do this. If I worked for them I would try to do the same thing.

But I don’t. I am a consumer. I am lucky enough to be able to afford any car BMW makes, but I didn’t get here by flushing money down the toilet unnecessarily (well, at least not too much….). I know it’s one of my own pet peeves, but I don’t like being led down the garden path to help line someone else’s pockets. Even the maintenance costs have become a secondary message of BMW’s marketing – the cost of the “BMW lifestyle”. The BMW enthusiasts on the forums sniff about “superior driving dynamics”, which seems funny given that most of them have no clue what than means, but they can parrot back what has been imprinted on them in BMW’s marketing. It is also amusing that most of them defend BMW’s lack of reliability by saying “you own a BMW for the drive, not the reliability”, and “you shouldn’t buy a BMW if you want a reliable car” – also straight out of BMW marketing. If you built a car that was more expensive but less reliable than the competition, what else would you say to keep the addicts coming back?

IMHO, the performance of the new G35 (based on the sedan) is not significantly different from the 335. The performance specs seem to be within a few tenths of a second of each other, well within the range of car-to-car variability and driver skill. A $1000 driving class would no doubt make a bigger difference in who would be faster around a track. What the G35 does have, IMHO, is more robust construction quality, and likely more straightforward maintenance – for thousands of dollars less. BMW builds some great cars – the E46 series M3 is an absolute jewel, and a terror on the track. But, IMHO, Infiniti is the true successor to the BMW legend started by the 2002, more than the 335: a solid, straightforward, comfortable, high-performance car at a reasonable price. I can’t help but think that BMW should really stand for “Bogus Marketing Works”. Like PT Barnum said, “there’s one born every minute”.

For me, the choice is to wait for the new G35 Coupe (another reason for me is because, IMHO of course, so many BMW owners seem like pricks and posers – the old joke about BMW owners and porcupines seems true). I personally think the G35 is gorgeous, fun to drive, well-built (never had a single problem with by 04 G35 Coupe in 3 years), and a good value. We live in a free country, and we are all free to buy (or lease) anything we like, as long as we can afford it (or convince a finance manager that we can). Whatever floats your boat, go for it, and enjoy it.

I know many people consider it sacrilege to not worship at the altar of BMW (I’m sure that visitors from the 335 forum will no doubt lambaste me for my blasphemous comments). But, to me BMW today seems like the story of “The Emperor’s New Clothes”: just because most people think something, doesn’t mean it’s true.

Nick
Old 02-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by derrick
I'm going to stir the pot here ... no hatin' on the 335, but I actually thought about a 335 over a 2008 G35 coupe until I read this on g35driver:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...=139577&page=2

All i read out of that is someone who knows how to word things well. Its the same concept of good marketing on his part. He tried to sell that BMW isnt worth the price. His last few paragraphs even shows that he hates the "image" of BMW owners. That alone would make him biased towards Infinti, dont you think?

Why would BMW put a LSD in the 335? The car is already nipping at the toes of the E46 M3. Its a 3series after all and not an M-car.

Maintenance, his facts are wrong. You dont need any special tools to change the oil on a E90/E92. I have done it already on my buddies car. Only thing that sucks it that there is no dipstick so you have to go through the on board computer to see how much oil to fill. No biggie.
Brakes, uh never heard of them needing changing after 20k miles. Either way, im pretty sure BMW replaces brakes for free if you are under 50k miles. Like i mentioned in the other thread, why would someone pay the dealer to change their brakes?

No spare, pretty sure because the car comes with run-flats

I wont argue that most people want a BMW due to their marketing. But that guy seems to just hate the brand cuz of it. Yet he LOVES the 335 but wont get it because of the smaller things? If hes such a car nut and does his own work, why does he care about oil changes or brake job costs?

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 02-24-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

With that said, i too would cancel a order for the 335 right now.

The new A5 and new G35 coupe coming out... i would wait too.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
That was very well written...

@ "the old joke about BMW owners and porcupines seems true"

Like the author, I too am a cheap bastard, and can't see paying a premium for a BMW when there are cheaper (or better bangs for the buck) out there...

I hate run flats too...

Interestingly, I've got the G35C coupe and the BMW 130i on my wishlist for my next car...
Old 02-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Advanced

picus, great job! the 335i is a nicely built driving machine.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

or me, the choice is to wait for the new G35 Coupe (another reason for me is because, IMHO of course, so many BMW owners seem like pricks and posers – the old joke about BMW owners and porcupines seems true). I personally think the G35 is gorgeous, fun to drive, well-built (never had a single problem with by 04 G35 Coupe in 3 years), and a good value.
This guy is n f*ing dope, right nooooooo G35 driver is a prick. News flash, the G35 more or less has replaced the Mustang as the meat head Italian gunship of choice. Yeah, he can afford ANY model that BMW makes (which includes a $106k M6 vert).....but yet he's bickering about value between a G35 and 335.

Also, no G35 drives like a BMW 3 series.....there is nothing to debate.

If you're not a brand whore, you have to give credit where credit is due.

G35, nice car? Sure, good value? Sure. Better than a 3 series? No, looks aside.

The latest C&D had the 328i sedan vs the G35 sedan and the BMW took 1st.

You get what you pay for.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Beltfed
This guy is an f*ing dope, right nooooooo G35 driver is a prick. News flash, the G35 more or less has replaced the Mustang as the meat head Italian gunship of choice. Yeah, he can afford ANY model that BMW makes (which includes a $106k M6 vert).....but yet he's bickering about value between a G35 and 335.

So the G has replaced the Mustang as the Meathead Italian gunship of choice huh? Sorry man, but that's just as an ignorant statement as the guy you are quoting.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
So the G has replaced the Mustang as the Meathead Italian gunship of choice huh? Sorry man, but that's just as an ignorant statement as the guy you are quoting.
Actually its not ignorant, but I knew someone would say something to that affect and it didn't take long.

That aside, did I say EVERY G35 driver is a meathead Italian? Also, please don't assume that I think all Italians are meatheads.

All I meant by it was that G35 drivers certainly have their share of assholes, like BMW.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Racer

Actually its not ignorant, but I knew someone would say something to that affect and it didn't take long.

That aside, did I say EVERY G35 driver is a meathead Italian? Also, please don't assume that I think all Italians are meatheads.

All I meant was that G35 drivers certainly have their share of assholes, like BMW.
LOL, too funny. I think it's safe to say that every brand of car has their share of @ssholes. I've encountered arrogant people from just about every make of vehicle that I can think of.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

LOL, too funny. I think it's safe to say that every brand of car has their share of @ssholes. I've encountered arrogant people from just about every make of vehicle that I can think of.
I agree, but the guy who made that post acted all high and mighty. Trying to make himself feel better about not going with the 335.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Im waiting for someone to say "BMW pays C&D for them to win"

If thats the case then BMW must have been paying off MANY magazines over the years.

I do like how he says that BMW cut corners with the interior on the 335. Course his current G35 coupe interior really looks 35k worthy, right?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout

If thats the case then BMW must have been paying off MANY magazines over the years.
I know, there is always someone to bring that up.

The current G35 coupe interior borders on disgusting. I'm sure the new interior will be vastly improved like the 07 sedan.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Racer

I agree, but the guy who made that post acted all high and mighty. Trying to make himself feel better about not going with the 335.
I 100% agree with you regarding his post, in fact I couldn't possibly agree more........I just don't like being lumped into the "Meathead" category. :wink:
Old 02-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I 100% agree with you regarding his post, in fact I couldn't possibly agree more........I just don't like being lumped into the "Meathead" category. :wink:
I'm sure you're not a meat head, you don't come off as one.

And if that's your G in your avatar, great color for that car.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout

I do like how he says that BMW cut corners with the interior on the 335. Course his current G35 coupe interior really looks 35k worthy, right?
Tell me that this is 2nd grade... NOT.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1120418719
Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
This guy is a f*ing dope, right nooooooo G35 driver is a prick. News flash, the G35 more or less has replaced the Mustang as the meat head Italian gunship of choice. Yeah, he can afford ANY model that BMW makes (which includes a $106k M6 vert).....but yet he's bickering about value between a G35 and 335.

agreed...:endofdiscussionperiod:

No offense to anyone but here on long island especially, it appears a lot of "juiced Guidos" drive the G..guess what...that wasnt my statement but actually that of an Italian girl i know...no offense to anyone
Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

That post is what's wrong with G35driver.com. Too many people talking about too many things they have no experience at all with. And look at all the guys patting him on the back. Here is a post *I* made on G35driver last week which about sums up how I feel about that:

Originally Posted by picus112
You know, maybe this is on topic and maybe it's not; but lately I've noticed this trend at g35driver where people seem to feel the need for constant back patting and confirmation their car was the right purchase. Right from the start of this thread we had comments like "I fail to see what all the Bimmer hype is about, I will keep my order", and "This will no doubt upset the BMW cult members"... What's up with that? Why this childish need to proclaim to the world that you made a good purchase? The hilarity is the video isn't even about the 335i, it's about the G35, and yet we have entire comments about the 335i seemingly at random. Why isn't anyone mentioning the Legacy? It seemed to do reasonably well and is significantly less expensive than both the G and 335i.

The G35 is an awesome car, especially for the money. If the new coupe was out now I'd have given it serious thought. My two G's ran flawlessly for years; and in all that time I never felt the need to randomly disparage another car just to make myself feel good about a car I *knew* was good.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I am not the biggest fan of BMW's free maintenance, but that guy either has very little experience with it, is exaggerating on purpose, or just doesn't know any better. You *can* easily change your own oil on a 335i, it requires no special tools. You can also get a change performed for much less than $200. Pads can be bought online or locally and changed yourself; in fact BMW OEM pads are cheaper than Infiniti OEM pads. The windshield wiper (hilarious someone even brought that up), are proprietary just like the G35s, and can be purchased online for under $20.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey ... I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting something from another board but I wanted to hear what others had to say about Nick's comments. Of course there is a bias to the description (ie pro-Infiniti).

One thing that I do not like about it is the lack of "truth" to reasons why he does not like BMW. I, being a "BMW-noob", never bothered to verify his statements. While I was skeptical of his claims (ie cannot change oil by oneself, brakes that must be replaced every 20k miles), glad there are guys who can dispel these inaccuracies.

While I can't justify the cost of a BMW (in Canadian dollars), I will have to wait until what Infiniti brings to the table in April's NY Autoshow.

(Sorry to crap on this thread)
- derrick

PS I still think the 335 is a very nice car ... don't have the guts to go for a test drive and make a rash decision ... I think I'm cheap like Greenie ...
Old 02-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

^ I actually enjoyed reading his post and views so dont feel bad about showing it to us.

I do like how everyone agreed with him as if his "facts" were correct.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Nah, I am glad you posted it. Don't sweat it.

The G35 guys agree with him so despite his using erroneous data they just go right along. I wasn't going to post in that thread but I did because it was clear to me that his post was influencing people, probably for the wrong reasons.

People use exaggerated examples to support their opinion all the time. Hell, I could say something like "my G35 coupe cost me $2700 in the first 12,000 miles to maintain", and I wouldn't be lying, but I know that my case was not normal.

Fact is, BMW maintenance, especially in the US, is pretty good. You get *free* pads and rotors, *free* fluid changes and inspections, and even if you want to change your oil more often than they recommend, you still come out ahead. You can change the oil for $40, or take it to a BMW recommended mechanic for ~$70-$90, which is the same as most luxury Japanese makes. On my 330xi I paid a total of $164 to maintain it in the first 4 years. I paid ~$3500 for my G coupe and $1400 for my G sedan. All in all it's a fraction of the cost of the car regardless, so not a huge deal, but it's definitely a consideration.

The 335i is priced high for it's segment; but it's value is all a matter of perception.

Last edited by picus; 02-25-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by derrick
PS I still think the 335 is a very nice car ... don't have the guts to go for a test drive and make a rash decision ... I think I'm cheap like Greenie ...
If you like leasing, the 335 sedan leases out very well. Has a 61% (63% for 12k) base residual for 15k miles and a .00150 M.F.

My friend ordered one on Saturday.

MSRP - $43,895
S.P. - $41,890
36 months
12k miles/year
$3,700 total out of pocket (tax, bank fee, 1st payment, $500 cap red.). Waived security, he's coming out of a 330.

Payment - $484/month.

That's a really good deal.

Quick Reply: My 335i review & pics