If your neighbor had the same car as you (color combo too) would you be annoyed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
If your neighbor had the same car as you (color combo too) would you be annoyed?

So my neighbor has pretty much the same car as me. I've lived in my complex (only 21 units) since '03 and have had my TL since new. I have an '06 WDP/Ebony Auto with Nav. He has an '08 same color combo.

I received his "2 year anniversary" thank you from Acura. I actually get all of his mail since he services his car at the same dealer so we have the same address just different apt. numbers. I told him about it and notified Acura there are two people here with the same car.

He's not a bad guy or anything he just used to look at my car all the time and then suddenly *poof* another TL shows up parked next to me. BUT he drives like an asshole everywhere. That car is at WOT all the time and I think he puts in neutral to rev prior to backing into his stall.

He raced my buddies turboed '07 SI Sedan and those assholes were both flying at 100+ down our street.

Obviously, I just don't want to be mistaken for him. So, would you be annoyed?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If he bought his car ON PURPOSE, then I might be annoyed.

But, if you are mistaken for him and his driving habits, I would definitely be annoyed.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
if he bought his car on purpose, then i might be annoyed.

but, if you are mistaken for him and his driving habits, i would definitely be annoyed.
+1
Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
then u need to swap your wheels and put on a ASPEC kit to make your car look different than his...
Old 12-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Imitation is the best flattery. After I bought my 3G TL, three of my colleagues did the same, one the same color as mine. (All three of those colleagues have since moved on to the 4G TL , while I moved on to the RL, then the V).

However, if the imitator drives like a prick, that IS annoying.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Great photoshoot opportunity!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I want your problems....
Old 12-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by anc297
great photoshoot opportunity!
+1
Old 12-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoyed at that car?, nah. Driving like an idiot, yes.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I agree with the mods. Look at it as your neighbor feels like you have good taste in automobiles! YOU know yours came first. Now, up the game and do some mods to your car. See what happens with his.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:57 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I agree with the mods. Look at it as your neighbor feels like you have good taste in automobiles! YOU know yours came first. Now, up the game and do some mods to your car. See what happens with his.
^ then he will start that too
Old 12-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Maybe, but.....
Old 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,748 Likes on 801 Posts
I would never get a white car or a Lexus because my next door neighbor has a white ES300, but that's just me. I feel like there are so many other nice cars out there that I would not want my neighbors to even THINK that I was trying to copy them. Yes I'd be a little annoyed. A little, especially if he bought it and parks right next to you "just to show you".
Old 12-25-2009, 07:35 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was younger stuff like that bothered me, I had to be original... purchasing a mass production vehicle is at odds with being original. One of my friends has literally the EXACT same car I do, our VIN's are near consecutive, they were 3 apart on the assembly line - doesn't bother me in the least. Then again if the person who had an identical car to me drove like a tool box I would be annoyed and would consider stopping by the local police station to bring it to their attention so you are not mistaken if it's ever called in.

I was once mistaken for a criminal and it made for a very unpleasant evening being handcuffed on the side of the road. Now when I have the opportunity to avoid problems I do what it takes.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:46 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Ha, to be honest with you all I have zero desire to modify this car. Although, A-spec kit/suspension and Volk TE37s or RJ inspyres look sick add a BBK and you're in heaven.

However, it's just money I don't want to spend. I am really into an A5, G37, M35S ahem (4g 6mt) as a viable replacement and the way my neighbor drives it really makes it easy to just move on.

BUT I have less than 20 payments on my TL and the title is mine; no more working for the bank. Probably gonna keep it and if I do mod it, just do it simple with the above mod list.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Sounders FC

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Ha, to be honest with you all I have zero desire to modify this car. Although, A-spec kit/suspension and Volk TE37s or RJ inspyres look sick add a BBK and you're in heaven.
That would look nice.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,827 Likes on 2,573 Posts
Dont waste your money on RJ.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
whats up with rj wheels other than over priced
Old 12-25-2009, 11:00 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Dont waste your money on RJ.
Why what's up? He's not an anti-semite right? I've always liked his wheel designs.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:00 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,827 Likes on 2,573 Posts
Originally Posted by cleptosis
whats up with rj wheels other than over priced
read his thread in car talk, and follow it up with the gem he started in ramblings called "am I bad person"

spread the word, power to the people

Where is my bean soda?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
If you want to be different, the easiest thing to do is some slight modifications for appearance that don't cost much, but do have a dramatic difference:

1. Carbon Fiber/Black Painted Roof - sets you car apart, and if it's vinyl you can peel it off later down the road when you want to sell

2. Rims - You can go down two routes:

- Paint Stockies
- Get some gunmetal paint and paint the stock rims, it'll look nice and set you apart OR go all out crazy, paint em black and give it a red outline for the time attack look OR paint it whatever color you want (gold maybe?)

- Go Aftermarket
- This will really set you apart, but it'll be expensive. Ron Jon has some controversy going on, however he's resolving it like a proper business man should and fixing any errors that may be on his fault or the customers fault.

3. A-Spec Kit - Go with an a-spec kit, he can't copy it that easily since the 04-06 is different from the 07-08 one

4. Window Tint - sets your car apart from his while helping you out too!
Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by knight rider
I would never get a white car or a Lexus because my next door neighbor has a white ES300, but that's just me. I feel like there are so many other nice cars out there that I would not want my neighbors to even THINK that I was trying to copy them. Yes I'd be a little annoyed. A little, especially if he bought it and parks right next to you "just to show you".
I wouldn't limit my choices just because my neighbor happens to own the same type of car. Quite frankly, I could care less what anyone thinks - I purchase cars for my own enjoyment, not for the guy/gal next door or down the street.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,916 Likes on 14,458 Posts
I wouldn't even pay attention to my neighbor's car. I think it's cool he loved your car so much he had to get one too.
I don't think it should influence whether or not you get another car or being mistaken for him etc...get an obviously different license plate so the cops never show up at your doorstep for reckless driving though.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Would I be annoyed? Of course not; that's childish. I could give a damn what someone else has.. it's what I have that counts.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:36 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be glad you live someplace where all the cars are not ghetto hoopty rides like 84 Buicks with 24s on the wheels and are painted purple.

So my neighbor has pretty much the same car as me. I've lived in my complex (only 21 units) since '03 and have had my TL since new. I have an '06 WDP/Ebony Auto with Nav. He has an '08 same color combo.

I received his "2 year anniversary" thank you from Acura. I actually get all of his mail since he services his car at the same dealer so we have the same address just different apt. numbers. I told him about it and notified Acura there are two people here with the same car.

He's not a bad guy or anything he just used to look at my car all the time and then suddenly *poof* another TL shows up parked next to me. BUT he drives like an asshole everywhere. That car is at WOT all the time and I think he puts in neutral to rev prior to backing into his stall.

He raced my buddies turboed '07 SI Sedan and those assholes were both flying at 100+ down our street.

Obviously, I just don't want to be mistaken for him. So, would you be annoyed?
Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Would I be annoyed? Of course not; that's childish. I could give a damn what someone else has.. it's what I have that counts.
Well at first it did not bother me as much as Bob has mentioned it was almost flattering. Two plus years later and him zipping up and down our quiet street has become very annoying.

The last thing I want is my car to be vandalized or haggled by the authorities over the actions of a person with a very similar car who lives in the same complex as myself.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by csmeance
If you want to be different, the easiest thing to do is some slight modifications for appearance that don't cost much, but do have a dramatic difference:

1. Carbon Fiber/Black Painted Roof - sets you car apart, and if it's vinyl you can peel it off later down the road when you want to sell

2. Rims - You can go down two routes:

- Paint Stockies
- Get some gunmetal paint and paint the stock rims, it'll look nice and set you apart OR go all out crazy, paint em black and give it a red outline for the time attack look OR paint it whatever color you want (gold maybe?)

- Go Aftermarket
- This will really set you apart, but it'll be expensive. Ron Jon has some controversy going on, however he's resolving it like a proper business man should and fixing any errors that may be on his fault or the customers fault.

3. A-Spec Kit - Go with an a-spec kit, he can't copy it that easily since the 04-06 is different from the 07-08 one

4. Window Tint - sets your car apart from his while helping you out too!
LoL I really don't want to be different. I am happy with the car in stock trim. There are a couple of things I wouldn't mind doing (aspec kit/suspension, rims), but I just can't justify the cost I'd rather put the money elsewhere.

To loosely quote Office Space "why should I change? He's the one who sucks..."
Old 12-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i used to want to be different... i had an abp 02 tl-s with navi, oem kit, spoiler, tint, hid fogs, etc. i literally would get pulled over almost every night and asked "what are you doing, where are the drugs" i now i drive a plain jane 09 altima 4 cylinder and couldnt be happier with blending in lol....

but if you are going to blend in with someone who will get you attention from the cops anyway, thats not very helpful lol
Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if he does something stupid like street racing he can be mistaken for you which will land you in trouble... minor mods would be your best bet
Old 12-26-2009, 03:16 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it could get annoying, but then again if he drives like that im sure most people would look into the car and sees whos driving and be on the lookout for that person again whenever they see that car doing stupid stuff.

I guess this is how Scion tC owners must feel

Before my bro flipped his 06 GG Civic, our neighbors got the exact same car, one for himself and another for his son. We thought it was funny so parked behind them and got a pic of three GG Civics lined up, his was modded so you could always tell the difference though.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Out of all the things in life you could worry about, you're upset someone else has the same colour car as yours?

No, I wouldn't be annoyed. Who cares. Acura TLs aren't made and sold for only you.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Well at first it did not bother me as much as Bob has mentioned it was almost flattering. Two plus years later and him zipping up and down our quiet street has become very annoying.

The last thing I want is my car to be vandalized or haggled by the authorities over the actions of a person with a very similar car who lives in the same complex as myself.
That's an entirely different matter and would indeed make me livid.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 947 Likes on 516 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
That's an entirely different matter and would indeed make me livid.
I mean, there were never any runs of "rare limited edition, numbered, etc..." TL's, (not like my car below) so your worry should be him driving like an asshat and others confusing your car with his.

I'd say do something tasteful and low cost to differentiate your from his so you have an out (other than being a stand up guy).

Now, for me? I have a car that is rare here, and in the US, only 500 were sold a year for 2 years, I think that was the run). Anyway, I would be a bit peeved if a neighbor got the same exact car. Then that is a bit different, but still wouldn't make me crazy. Not yet
Old 12-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrmako
Now, for me? I have a car that is rare here, and in the US, only 500 were sold a year for 2 years, I think that was the run). Anyway, I would be a bit peeved if a neighbor got the same exact car. Then that is a bit different, but still wouldn't make me crazy. Not yet
I've got a couple of rare cars (for the US anyway) as well - however, I'd like to think that if my neighbor had one as well, that would be a good thing. At the very least, it'd give us one more thing to yap about over the fence

1985 model (220000 miles)

1988 model (160000 miles)

Old 12-27-2009, 12:48 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Out of all the things in life you could worry about, you're upset someone else has the same colour car as yours?

No, I wouldn't be annoyed. Who cares. Acura TLs aren't made and sold for only you.
It's not that though, did you read the entire post?

It's how he drives...
Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Normally I wouldn't care at all, I think it'd be kinda cool since we'd have something in common to talk about. But the way you put it, with your neighbor potentially making you look bad - yeah I'd be annoyed for sure.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:28 PM

It's not that though, did you read the entire post?

It's how he drives...

Yes. It'd be furious and move.

Can't control how he drives either. Seriously, what can you do?!

Put a sign in your car window that reads, "I'm not him."

And no, I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on my car just so it doesn't look like the neighbours'. If you think anyone will notice subtle differences at 100mph (as you claim), you're mistaken too. However, I would mod my car however I wanted, regardless of anyone else who has the same one...but certainly not 'because of....'
Old 12-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Throw some slices pre packaged oscar mayer bonogna on his hood in the hot sun. Then everyone will know that the car with the polka dotted hood is his.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Yes. It'd be furious and move.

Can't control how he drives either. Seriously, what can you do?!

Put a sign in your car window that reads, "I'm not him."

And no, I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on my car just so it doesn't look like the neighbours'. If you think anyone will notice subtle differences at 100mph (as you claim), you're mistaken too. However, I would mod my car however I wanted, regardless of anyone else who has the same one...but certainly not 'because of....'
I do not want to modify my car. I've mentioned that several times.

So you're telling me if you lived in a place where someone has a truly identical car as you and is driving like a moron everywhere they go it wouldn't be the slightest bit annoying? Even speeding down the driveway just to get home? You must have the patience of a saint then.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 AM

I do not want to modify my car. I've mentioned that several times.

So you're telling me if you lived in a place where someone has a truly identical car as you and is driving like a moron everywhere they go it wouldn't be the slightest bit annoying? Even speeding down the driveway just to get home? You must have the patience of a saint then.
What would you expect me to do about it? It's like getting upset over traffic....you can stress all you want, but it doesn't make it move any faster. You can't control his driving choices. You can't control that he has the same car.

----> If you want to accomplish something, then talk to him about your frustration and worry, and that you don't want to be reported for incidences in which you are not involved. Be pro-active and try to accomplish something. Otherwise, what can you do? Constantly being annoyed and worried won't change anything.