The Honda/Acura Versus The World Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Just out of curiosity... why exactly is the Civic platform bad?

From what I hear, it's a decent platform, with sophisticated suspension. Is it the fact that a basic compact and a supposedly entry-level premium sedan share the same platform? Or is there an issue with the platform itself?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
To an informed person who understands that two completely different cars (except size obviously) can share the same platform, there is nothing wrong. The problem was that Acura released a statement that there was a new ILX coming and it would be built in the same American factory as the Civic with the Civic platform to reduce cost. Nothing new to Honda who is pretty cost efficient in their strategy.

However, to some it meant that Acura was going to revamp a Civic. Then someone posted this:

all hell broke loose and the Acura flaming began. I had to keep reminding people that this is not an ILX and that Acura's only hope is that the ILX looks nothing like this.

All that is wrong with it is that it reminds some people their car shares something with a Civic.

Last edited by oo7spy; 01-17-2012 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VTEC Racer (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 04:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
While I agree that the CSX was far more of a warmed over Civic than the ILX will be lets remember that the CSX had a Type S that shared a power train with the Si and it came standard with a 2.0L. 2 very big similarities between the CSX and ILX. Its not as if its an entirely different formula at work here.

Big difference seems to be appearances but I still don't think they did enough on the power train side with the ILX.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

But a 2.4L 6MT option helps. A LOT.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Still an Si power train.... Unless they surprise us and it somehow has a lot more HP/Tq.

And it would have helped a lot more if that 2.4 was available with an AT.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
The TSX has similar horsepower and torque numbers to the Si, does it not? I don't see how that's more of a problem in the ILX than it is than the TSX, especially since this is supposed to be smaller. Again, the only problem I see is perception.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

^ TSX is available with an AT, ILX and the 2.4 isn't. (Because when it has the 2.4 its a performance sedan) So you've forced 90%+ of ILX buyers to settle for a 2.0L

<-- Hope to be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the 2.0L but I'm not holding my breath. I expect no more than 160HP.

Last edited by dom; 01-18-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
All I know is that the TSX V6 was a 6MT and some suspension tuning away from being a legitimate contender in the entry level sports sedan arena.

I want to keep an open mind with the upcoming ILX but given what I see on paper (not to mention, recent Acura history), I can't...particularly when it comes at the expense of Acura's nicest sedan.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Hybrids Get Me Excited

Originally Posted by KillerG
Im not saying that their future wont happen, but as an enthusiast, i have absolutely NOTHING to look forward to coming out from Honda that i currently know of, and the most recent announcements/rumors have not been promising.

Like i was saying, if you are excited about hybrid technology and the future of EVs, then Honda might be headed somewhere interesting for you, but for me personally that's not the case.
This is why hybrid technology excites me.
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Prior to the Tokyo auto show, Honda showed us a number of its upcoming technologies (including its new direct-injection engines), and one of the most promising is Electric SH-AWD. To review, SH-AWD stands for Super Handling All-Wheel Drive and, on current Acura products that bear the label, it signifies a four-wheel-drive powertrain that can route engine torque to either of the rear wheels to improve cornering.
Electric SH-AWD operates on a similar principle, and will be found on at least one upcoming Acura in the near future (pay no mind to the fact that the demonstration vehicle pictured here is an Accord). Instead of sending a driveshaft to the rear wheels and proportioning the power via clutches in a differential, the rear wheels simply use two electric motors. It’s a deceptively simple idea, and one that’s popped up in one form or another from various automakers (the Porsche 918 Spyder and RSR concepts feature something similar, for example). We’d have thought of it ourselves but were too busy looking for Asimo, Honda’s walking robot. He never showed.

The rear electric motors are only part of an overall hybrid powertrain concept. Up front is the latest development of Honda’s 3.5-liter V-6, now with direct injection and an output of at least 308 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque. The engine is mated to a Honda-built seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with a 40-hp DC electric motor integrated into the housing. Unlike Honda’s current IMA hybrid system, this new setup allows the engine to decouple from the electric motor. The benefit is that, during electric regeneration, all of the energy can flow through the motor (acting as a generator) into the batteries; no energy is used to spin the gasoline engine. Similarly, no battery power is wasted spinning the engine during EV-mode stints, which currently is the case with Honda’s hybrids. Interestingly, EV mode actually uses the rear motors to propel the car, which brings us back to SH-AWD.
Connected to each rear wheel is a 27-hp DC motor, either of which can deliver torque to its respective wheel or create drag through electric regeneration. The system works just like a mechanical torque-vectoring system but with much less hardware and, incidentally, less weight. When the car enters a corner, the system will send power to the outside rear wheel and drag on the inside rear wheel. In this scenario, the dragging motor can send electricity directly to the assisting motor in real time. As the car progresses through the corner, the inside rear motor will switch to electric assist to provide optimum traction. And if the lithium-ion batteries are depleted, the electric motor in the front of the car can act as a generator to make sure the SH-AWD system still operates.
With this system, Honda claims V-8 levels of acceleration and four-cylinder levels of fuel economy, without providing any specific numbers. Before you go adding up all the horsepower figures, remember that electric motors make most of their power at low speed, so the total system output is somewhere above the gasoline motor’s 308 horsepower, but we’re not sure how much higher. Both the power and economy claims might be a little ambitious. Still, we’re glad to see Honda taking a new approach to hybrids, especially one focused on performance as much as efficiency.
Now we are getting somewhere. I am very interested in the amount of torque these three electric motors can apply to the wheels.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/acuras-...ectric-motors/
Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

RLX does not disappoint!

370 hp, 30/30 mpg, 7-speed tranny, and what is looking like LS/7-series back seat room...

http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-...ut-in-new-york

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Push to start.

Rear wheel toe in/out for 4 wheel steer.

Last edited by oo7spy; 04-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.