hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread

Two weeks ago yesterday, I made the move from my 16 year Acura allegiance to Alfa Romeo. A variety of factors went into my decision to make the move--and I couldn't be happier at the moment. If you have not had an opportunity to drive one of these, I'd encourage you to--the balance of performance, handling and style is unparalleled in its class IMO.

A bit of information about the vehicles I purchased:

2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
General Information

• Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged I4 -- 280HP / 306lb/ft TQ
  • Color: Stromboli Gray Metallic Exterior; Black Interior
  • Packages: Ti Sport AWD 22S | Ti Leather | Driver Assist Dynamic | Nero Edizione (Black Edition) - Dark Miron Badging, Grille, Caps & Tips | 8.8" HD Premium Sound | 19" Dark 5-Hole, Staggered 19"x8" Front; 19"x9" Rear
  • Price as Configured: $55,140
Modifications

• Under the Hood: Madness Power Pack Tune Stage 1; includes Maxpower Pro ECM and GOPedal Plus | ~360--390HP / ~404--428lb/ft TQ*
  • Exterior: Fiberglass Rear Lip Spoiler, Color-Matched Painted to Alfa Black (purchased, not installed yet, debating on this or carbon fiber); Dark Miron 'Veloce' Badging
-------------------------------

2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport Q4
General Information

• Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged I4 -- 280HP / 306lb/ft TQ
  • Color: Vulcano Black Metallic Exterior; Red/Black Interior
  • Packages: Sport AWD 22J | Nero Edizione Sport (Black Edition) - Miron (Dark) Badging, Grille, Tips and Caps | 20"x8.5" Miron Black Sport Wheels | Convenience | Cold Weather | Driver Assist | 8.8" HD Premium Sound
  • Price as Configured: $53,640
Modifications

• Under the Hood: Madness Power Pack Tune Stage 1; includes Maxpower Pro ECM and GOPedal Plus | ~360--390HP / ~404--428lb/ft TQ*

*ECM modifications estimated based on DYNO from manufacturer--I have no plans of DYNO runs; however, plan to purchase a Dragy for entertainment purposes of timed runs

Photos

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-oycbwwr.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-k7kco8h.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-tlshwdh.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-qyhdipi.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-ehurxh0.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-qbbdp4r.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-aewvqb5.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-xlzbgtp.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-2jll9jm.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-sdvay9t.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-wkfaj8z.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-nxpxbma.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-mk4yqxb.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-lj5quh1.jpg

Attachment 97859

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-gpdvn5v.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-q7dwida.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-jhjsdcl.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-rd4gsny.jpg

Last edited by hdcolumbus; 08-18-2019 at 10:12 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by hdcolumbus:
00TL-P3.2 (08-19-2019), 1killercls (09-04-2019), asianspec (02-08-2020), civicdrivr (08-23-2019), mrmako (09-04-2019), neuronbob (08-20-2019), RDX10 (07-10-2023), rockstar143 (02-04-2020), Sarlacc (08-18-2019), ttribe (08-18-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

05-26-2022, 11:28 PM
hdcolumbus
Super Car Enthusiast

So, over the past 2 years and a 9 months, I’ve owned 5 Alfa Romeo’s, 3 currently and I have had a total of three unscheduled shop visits. Two battery replacements and a fuel sensor on the 2022 Stelvio within the first week of delivery. I went ahead and purchased a MOPAR full warranty on the 4C since it had lapsed—this gives me some piece of mind that any gremlins that plagued the early models (very few, mostly tranny issues as a result of a moisture shield needing to be added—I’m adding that shield and had the TSM flashed today with the most current software). This has by far been the most reliable and fun brand I have every owned.

Anyway, a couple of pics of the Quadrifoglio—just PPF’d, ceramic coated and added tint yesterday—and the rest of the garage. I was sad to let the Ti Sport go—had everything, including options that are no longer available. But, the QV, even with the track rubber Pirellis are brilliant in most conditions over 35 degrees. Even in the rain, I can throttle down everything and it cruises right along. Add some Sottozero 3’s on it during the winter and I think I’ll be good with the Stelvio in the lineup as well.

I’ve learned a ton about the brand and these machines since starting this journey—happy to answer any questions

Insta Stuff

View this post on Instagram

Old 08-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Dang man, that’s some pretty metal in your garage. Congratulations.
The following users liked this post:
hdcolumbus (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Awesome! Congratulations! I wish I saw more of those on the road.
hdcolumbus (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,663 Likes on 13,899 Posts
Wow, that's just some Italian artwork you have sir. Gorgeous and congrats!!
Old 08-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charliemike
Dang man, that’s some pretty metal in your garage. Congratulations.
Thank you! Some have made the argument that I missed an opportunity to sample another brand along with one of the Alfa's; however, I became smitten with them both--and it makes modifications easier I'm going to schedule some time with them on the track before fall, really excited about that!

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Awesome! Congratulations! I wish I saw more of those on the road.
Thanks! I too wish they were selling better and saw more in the road; but, the small community of owners is great--many who appreciate the brand, its racing heritage and history--fun group that reminds me of how Acura used to make me feel. I'm definitely one of the younger owners and it's fun to bring some of the performance/update mindset to a group of individuals that made the switch from German brands (some from Acura) where they never really thought about applying a tune. My dealer told me yesterday that he's received 5-6 calls from potential new customers and existing ones about what they've seen me post about modifications in AR forums (this dealer is mod-friendly).
Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,844 Likes on 3,753 Posts

hdcolumbus (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Thanks Yummy!

I'm contemplating a stage 2 tune with new intake, filter and exhaust... I think I like the Lusso -- although the Monza sounds very aggressive...

My dealer thinks the Centerline Corsa exhaust is quite a bit better, although I'd have to forgo black exhaust tips...

Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful cars!
hdcolumbus (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Damn son!
hdcolumbus (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 05:18 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,827 Likes on 2,573 Posts
Wow, you went all in with Alfa.

Please keep us updated, especially with the Stelvio. My wife's lease is up in Feb and its on my list.
hdcolumbus (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I really love the way they look.
hdcolumbus (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,748 Likes on 801 Posts
As a rule of thumb I never have the same brand automobile at one time. There are a number of personal reason for that decision. Aside from my own buying bias, both of your Alfas stand on their own merit styling-wise and performance-wise. Someone mentioned above that they wish they would see more of these on the road. I say enjoy your modest exclusivity while it lasts (if you're into that kind of thing). No doubt that when the Guila and Stelvio really start to hit the pre-owned market you'll see more of them. Both command my attention when I see one driving pass or parked somewhere. Congratulations on getting two cars (that's baller in and of itself) that IMO are geared towards enthusiasts. When we buy cars like this companies keep making them. Thanks for doing your part as an enthusiast. Enjoy!
hdcolumbus (08-18-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Hopefully both treat you well and aren't as unreliable as people and others say they are.
The following 2 users liked this post by gatrhumpy:
hdcolumbus (08-19-2019), ttribe (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

But, such exhilarating drives though!
hdcolumbus (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Received 5,303 Likes on 3,637 Posts
The Giulia, apart from AWD is likely how I'd spec one if I were in the market. Definitely a head turner. One of these days I'll swing in the Alfa dealer that's about 4 miles from my house & take a drive.
hdcolumbus (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 01:28 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Gorgeous stable. Glad to have you back! You up and disappeared for a while there.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
Gorgeous stable. Glad to have you back! You up and disappeared for a while there.
Well, duh. He disappeared to go all Italiano on us.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:55 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Congrats on the Alfa's they are great looking!! Enjoy...
Old 08-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Noice!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:08 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by Yumcha
I don't care how "exhilarating" a car is, if it's unreliable, you'll drive it a handful of times and then call your tow truck guy to tow it to a dealer. No thank you.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I don't care how "exhilarating" a car is, if it's unreliable, you'll drive it a handful of times and then call your tow truck guy to tow it to a dealer. No thank you.
FWIW, I think hdcolumbus took that into account and the old adage is, "If you wanna play, you gotta pay..."

Let's go with his tolerance to being higher than yours for car reliability. I'm sure if he lived in the Arctic Circle like me, it may potentially not be 2 Alfas.

I can only commend the guy for going with his passions here.
rockstar143 (02-04-2020)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Agreed. He went balls deep. Now we have to wait a period of time to see if he has herpes now.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
My idea of going all in is buying an Alfa, not leasing one. You bought two...and modified them. Props!

i test drove a Ti sport and loved it. Leasing was very subpar about 6 months ago (~45% residual on a 10k mo 3 yr lease - which is the lowest I’ve personally seen) but I believe Alfa has been discounting more to offset the residual. Leasing seems to be competitive now.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 08-23-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ttribe
Congrats! Beautiful cars!
Damn son!
Thanks--still loving them so far!

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Wow, you went all in with Alfa.

Please keep us updated, especially with the Stelvio. My wife's lease is up in Feb and its on my list.
I thought I'd went 'all-in' too; but, was immediately corrected in an Alfa forum that 'all-in' would have consisted of purchasing two Quadrifoglio's

I'd highly recommend taking a look at the Stelvio for her--don't let the stock turbo lag deter you if you test drive one--it outperforms and handles better than any SUV I've ever driven--and the turbo lag can be easily remedied with a $250 module that hooks into the pedal connector (and controlled via your phone/bluetooth) https://madnessautoworks.com/alfa-ro...etooth-pid7527

I really love the way they look.
Me toooo!

Originally Posted by knight rider
As a rule of thumb I never have the same brand automobile at one time. There are a number of personal reason for that decision. Aside from my own buying bias, both of your Alfas stand on their own merit styling-wise and performance-wise. Someone mentioned above that they wish they would see more of these on the road. I say enjoy your modest exclusivity while it lasts (if you're into that kind of thing). No doubt that when the Guila and Stelvio really start to hit the pre-owned market you'll see more of them. Both command my attention when I see one driving pass or parked somewhere. Congratulations on getting two cars (that's baller in and of itself) that IMO are geared towards enthusiasts. When we buy cars like this companies keep making them. Thanks for doing your part as an enthusiast. Enjoy!
I'm really hoping they keep going with them--making them better, continuously innovating them. The community is great too--reminds me a lot of the Acura enthusiast community--and they have corporate reps on their boards, which is great as they're providing and taking feedback from a brand level. Speaking of the exclusivity--there is some of it with the brand in the US, sure; however, something about being in an Italian brand takes the community and feeling of inclusiveness to an entirely different level. Within a month of being in this community--I've already had brunch, been invited to large Italian car owner gatherings and car shows--and invited to show mine. It's an entirely different culture of enthusiasts and it's a very welcoming one--I'm loving it!

Hopefully both treat you well and aren't as unreliable as people and others say they are.
I'm very aware of the painting of unreliability that's been brushed across the brand in the US--as (from what I've seen thus far) do those responsible for the brand. They're taking the re-entry in the US very seriously and while sales are not quite what they were targeting, they have given no indications they will be leaving again--quite the opposite, actually. I'm thankful that I'm in an area that has two dealers and services within 20 minutes and the largest dealer/service location in the midwest within 90 minutes drive. The small community of 'us' here where I'm at are very vocal and have either a) had 0 issues or b) had minor ECU issues that were addressed with a quick trip and flash or c) had excellent service and quick turnaround from a parts perspective. The larger community is equally as vocal and scales to what I'm seeing here in a larger available service area (although with longer lead times). I was nervous going in--but, damn, if I wasn't smitten the first time I saw one and had no clue what it was--had to find out...

Indeeeed!

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
The Giulia, apart from AWD is likely how I'd spec one if I were in the market. Definitely a head turner. One of these days I'll swing in the Alfa dealer that's about 4 miles from my house & take a drive.
I'd encourage you to give one a drive (similar spec, if possible, or better yet, the QV ) -- there isn't anything quite like the experience in this class. Racing is at the heart of Alfa and it's felt down to the smallest tiny details of both the Giulia and Stelvio. Everything is tightened down and even the cup holders have an extra tight grip as to not rattle your mug when pushing it hard... You'll feel the heritage and lineage--I promise!

Originally Posted by Costco
Well, duh. He disappeared to go all Italiano on us.
Glad to be back! I'd been lurking around the 5G section for the past 18 months; but, the most exciting thing during that time spent there was speculation on the Type-S

Originally Posted by JT4
Congrats on the Alfa's they are great looking!! Enjoy...
Originally Posted by imj0257
Noice!
Grazie!

FWIW, I think hdcolumbus took that into account and the old adage is, "If you wanna play, you gotta pay..."

Let's go with his tolerance to being higher than yours for car reliability. I'm sure if he lived in the Arctic Circle like me, it may potentially not be 2 Alfas.

I can only commend the guy for going with his passions here.
Agreed. He went balls deep. Now we have to wait a period of time to see if he has herpes now.
I'll keep this thread updated--I can't be certain I'll never have issues--hell, my 2019 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD was in and out of the dealer for a total of nearly 6 weeks over the course of a year, and that was absolutely 0 fun to drive--I know that I took a risk on a brand re-entry with a not-so-stellar record of reliability (from 30 years ago); but, I smile ear-to-ear whenever I get into the driver's seat and that's worth it to me.

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
My idea of going all in is buying an Alfa, not leasing one. You bought two...and modified them. Props!

i test drove a Ti sport and loved it. Leasing was very subpar about 6 months ago (~45% residual on a 10k mo 3 yr lease - which is the lowest I’ve personally seen) but I believe Alfa has been discounting more to offset the residual. Leasing seems to be competitive now.
Tons of great deals going on right now--2018 (brand new) QV's are going for almost $25k off of sticker. They're not moving, so it's a buyer's market.

Pics incoming
Old 09-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Pic of the new QV style spoiler I installed on the Giulia--cheap fiberglass, had it painted 'Alfa Black' a glossy finish to match the roof and pillars. I may go OEM carbon fiber and painted--still on the fence with it. I love the look though paired with the dark Miron 'Veloce' badging I added as well (a Ti Sport is a "Veloce" in every country except the US and badged accordingly)...

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-zmyaoqr.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by hdcolumbus:
00TL-P3.2 (09-04-2019), charliemike (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Night shots of the Giulia at Ohio Stadium (more with the spoiler too)...

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-44gc4qv.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-bub9kvt.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-ugzvrj3.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-4qbunyt.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-r36l75l.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-tmziuif.jpg
00TL-P3.2 (09-04-2019), mrmako (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

After hard rain storm (and testing out the Note10+ 'live focus' and ultra-wide lens)

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-z0anuub.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-nxqhgyw.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-ort94bh.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-oovdb6c.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-66qmgzk.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-veogbak.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-gvrxs9b.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-e5qrux8.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-or4b1sq.jpg
00TL-P3.2 (09-04-2019), mrmako (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:39 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Sunset of the Guilia...

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-okqbzqj.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-rpt7gp3.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-rxoaztf.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-clhcxxz.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-mxae0kn.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-vxlv9ts.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-qiafha3.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-ia3dxxx.jpg

Attachment 97770
The following 3 users liked this post by hdcolumbus:
00TL-P3.2 (09-04-2019), mrmako (09-04-2019), Yumcha (09-22-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Few more...

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-r8ddohi.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-o3ijwhj.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-oygyulr.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-ecapkwm.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-wsoco3x.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-7acnhxc.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-98wzwkn.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-htttfhe.jpg
00TL-P3.2 (09-04-2019), mrmako (09-04-2019), Yumcha (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

New Dragy is coming tomorrow--I'll post up some vids/timed runs. I also plan on taking both on the track before the end of summer and will hopefully get some good vids of that as well!
Old 09-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Poster on a Giulia forum I'm on frequents the track quite a bit with his Guilia QV--taking on a GT3 while in street tires here (5:30'ish mark)

Last edited by hdcolumbus; 09-03-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Man, these are gorgeous. Great pics.
hdcolumbus (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Man, these are gorgeous. Great pics.
Thanks yummy! I really enjoy shooting pics of them
Old 09-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Couple of more recent shots...

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-ihk86y9.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-ztmt7nb.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-6slu5hh.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-sbmsy9w.jpg

hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread-kqphuyv.jpg

Last edited by hdcolumbus; 09-21-2019 at 11:22 PM.
mrmako (02-17-2020), ttribe (09-22-2019), Yumcha (09-22-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

I have a dragy and ran some unofficial times (elevation was a slight decline) of just under 5s/0-60 in the Guilia and just over in the Stelvio. The fastest with the exact same tune in the Guilia I've seen posted is 4.63s (official dragy) -- I need to work on my two-foot method (jam hard on the break, throttle to 3k RPM and let er' rip) a bit more. I grew up with three pedals; but, something feels very unnatural to me with pressing on the break and throttle simultaneously. The roads are going to be shit soon with weather--trying to decide on pulling off the "3 seasons" from the Guilia. Once I get some decent timed runs in, I'll post some video!

Edit: You can also see the lip spoiler I installed--I had it painted 'Alfa Black' which is a gloss finish, matches the gloss roof and pillars---a lot of complements on it, glad I chose it over CF (way less expensive too as I would have carbon'ed out my mirrors, "V" in the front, added front lip spoiler and side rail spoilers too--almost $2500 to carbon out those and If I went with the diffuser as well, I'd be pushing over $3k). I'd rather save my cash for exhaust upgrades

Edit 2: those auto vig links to ads are annoying.

Edit 3: to opt out of vig links: https://www.viglink.com/opt-out/non

Last edited by hdcolumbus; 09-21-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

hdcolumbus (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 07:53 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Must have been late--I spelled Giulia incorrectly every single time
Old 09-22-2019, 11:56 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,827 Likes on 2,573 Posts
We are going to test drive the Stelvio today to see if my wife likes it.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Please let us know her thoughts!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

One vote already to get it.

Quick Reply: hdcolumbus' Alfa Romeo thread