Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you buy the Murano new?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Sort of related...

Car buyers on average paid $1,800 more for a used vehicle in July than they paid a year ago at this time, according to Edmunds.com data. That’s a 10.3 percent increase, bringing the average cost of a 3-year-old vehicle to $19,248. The price of a Cadillac Escalade spiked nearly 36 percent. “A lack of confidence in the economy is driving more people to used cars, putting upward pricing pressure on a limited supply of vehicles,” said Joe Spina, a senior analyst for Edmunds. …

Spina said that at this time last year, a troubled economy had consumers buying less- expensive fuel-efficient vehicles and trading in “gas guzzlers” through Cash for Clunkers (more formally known as the Car Allowance Rebate System). “Now, those who need trucks and large SUVs are buying them and in many cases are turning to used vehicles as a way to save money,” he said. ”Prices are high because this demand comes at a time when inventory is low as a result of the current shortage of lease returns and trade-ins for vehicles of this type.” And, he said, while prices are indeed very high now, last year’s prices were low, making the gains even more dramatic.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...iscipline.html
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
Sure, make sense to use them as a data point for the negotiation. But I'm curious if the acquisition process has been facilitated through one of these entities?
I've used carsdirect for our last three acquisitions: TSX, MDX, TL. I wouldn't describe it as a data point, really all they do is send your info about the car you are interested in to two or three local dealers. You'll typically get a response like this:

Hi

This is internet sales manager at your local Power Plenum outlet. We'd love to assist you! Please contact me at your earliest convenience to arrange a test drive.

Sincerely,

Your BFF internet sales manager

Now I don't know about you, but I don't want to be best friends with any car salesperson/manager (unless you can get me a 458 Italia $200 gizzle below invoice). The only thing carsdirect is useful for is circumventing retail process, the negotiating is still up to you.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Did you buy the Murano new?
yes
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I've used carsdirect for our last three acquisitions: TSX, MDX, TL. I wouldn't describe it as a data point, really all they do is send your info about the car you are interested in to two or three local dealers. You'll typically get a response like this:

Hi

This is internet sales manager at your local Power Plenum outlet. We'd love to assist you! Please contact me at your earliest convenience to arrange a test drive.

Sincerely,

Your BFF internet sales manager

Now I don't know about you, but I don't want to be best friends with any car salesperson/manager (unless you can get me a 458 Italia $200 gizzle below invoice). The only thing carsdirect is useful for is circumventing retail process, the negotiating is still up to you.
Not sure I'm following... Carsdirect and other websites like zag give you a price. I walk into the stealership and ask them what their price is, they come back with $X. I say I can get it for $X-$Y, and the courtship goes from there.

Like most negotiations, especially on teh car side, I'm not there to make friends. I'm there to win.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Like most negotiations, especially on teh car side, I'm not there to make friends. I'm there to win.
I've learned you never win with car dealers. They wouldn't be in business if they don't win.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a blog entry that caught my eye a couple of days ago.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse: This Is America, Not Europe

By Michael Jordan | August 24, 2010

2010_traverse_actr34_chevrolet_lt_2.jpg

Just back in the Chevrolet Traverse, the first time I've driven one of the GM Lambda crossovers in months. And am knocked out by just how good this package is.

As much as Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche rattle on about the perfection of their own crossovers, the Euro utes have become too autobahn focused just like they used to be too off-road oriented. Only BMW understands that a crossover has to occupy the middle ground, which is the key to its all-purpose utility.

And nothing does the middle ground quite like the Chevy Traverse. It drives easily and comfortably enough to be a relaxing refuge in commute traffic, yet it's still big enough to haul stuff and tough enough to tow stuff.

The Traverse drives like a car, but it's not afraid to be a truck. That's what you need in America.

Michael Jordan, Executive Editor, Edmunds.com @ 8,550 miles.

Categories: 2010 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Another entry from insideline....

On a more pleasant note, our Traverse reminded me why I don't hesitate to recommend the Lambda-based crossovers to my friends. Not only is it sized to fit just about any combination of passengers or cargo, it still remains very easy to drive.

The steering is relatively light, the sight lines are good and even the turning radius is pretty tight for such a large vehicle. In fact, it's almost exactly the same as our long-term Honda Crosstour which is nearly a foot shorter. There are a few elements of the interior I could do without, but overall it's a far better family vehicle than most full-size SUVs, the Tahoe included.

Ed Hellwig, Editor, Inside Line @ 8,610 miles
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe not the vehicle for you and it is one often forgotten, but the 2007+ Mitsubishi Outlander is an excellent vehicle. It may be a little smaller than the Murano but not by much. You can get the 3.0L 220hp V6 with the 6spd. auto and you get paddle shifters on the steering wheel! Touch screen navigation, lockable AWD, even a short drive 3rd row. The reviews on Edmunds seem positive, only thing negative is the paint chipping.

Just something to think about. Mitsubishi isn't always the favorite.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
With all the stories we read each year about Mitsubishi talking about closing up shop in the US I wouldn't buy one.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Not sure I'm following... Carsdirect and other websites like zag give you a price. I walk into the stealership and ask them what their price is, they come back with $X. I say I can get it for $X-$Y, and the courtship goes from there.
Yah, just saying its just a starting point, other than giving you a contact name and bypassing the salesfloor, they really don't do anything else for you IMO.

As for alex2364 comments on dealers winning. Any business wouldn't be around for long if there wasn't a profit motive, unless you work for Obama and Tim Geitner prints your paycheck. If you look at dealer floorplan, they make very little selling new cars, the profit centers are service and the used car lot.

Its all about a win/win and both sides feeling like they got a fair shake. I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but I'm not gonna nickel and dime. That's just my style.

BTW, love the updated Ford Edge, maybe take a look at that.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen-
Maybe not the vehicle for you and it is one often forgotten, but the 2007+ Mitsubishi Outlander is an excellent vehicle. It may be a little smaller than the Murano but not by much. You can get the 3.0L 220hp V6 with the 6spd. auto and you get paddle shifters on the steering wheel! Touch screen navigation, lockable AWD, even a short drive 3rd row. The reviews on Edmunds seem positive, only thing negative is the paint chipping.

Just something to think about. Mitsubishi isn't always the favorite.
It's justified unfortunately.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
It's justified unfortunately.
And that is too bad. Over here, they are guilty of covering up engine fires (electrical issues) and road wheels falling off of trucks (and killing people).

But they have really done a good job turning things around, and the Lancer (Evo too) and Outlander are good examples. They may have to lay low and try and generate a profit from a handful of vehicles, but they will be better off in the long run.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 AM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
With all the stories we read each year about Mitsubishi talking about closing up shop in the US I wouldn't buy one.
Something to consider.