Car & Driver: 2010 10 Best List

Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Car & Driver: 2010 10 Best List

Every year Car and Driver Magazine gives us their top 10 Cars of the Year, and 2010 will be no exception, with the January edition of the magazine revealing their choices.

Now this top 10 consists of the typical suspects that we normally would expect, but with only two new winners for 2010, I begin to wonder what does it take to make it? How come these car always place on the list while other worthy candidates never seem to make the grade?

Has Car and Driver really lost touch, and are they simply missing better choices, or are their other motives?

Take a look at the top 10 and tells us who REALLY should be on the list and what choices are suspect.
Car And Driver's 2010 Top 10

* 2010 Audi S4
* 2010 BMW 3-series / M3
* 2010 Cadillac CTS / CTS-V
* 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
* 2010 Honda Accord
* 2010 Honda Fit
* 2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata
* 2010 Mazda 3 / Mazdaspeed 3
* 2010 Porsche Boxster / Cayman
* 2010 Volkswagen GTI
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I think it's a good list. I don't have any real complaints about it.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Good list.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the only one I am not sold on is the Accord. Nice car and all but I really don't think it is that great at this stage (showing its age to me).

Overall, though, a good list and I would drive/buy any of those.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 95gt
I think the only one I am not sold on is the Accord. Nice car and all but I really don't think it is that great at this stage (showing its age to me).

Overall, though, a good list and I would drive/buy any of those.

What would you buy in that segment?

I agree its showing its age as well, but till the new sonata comes out im not sure what else is better.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
not even 1 Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infinity or even Genisis . i'm kinda surprised
Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,626 Likes on 13,878 Posts
Nice list.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura

I agree its showing its age as well, but till the new sonata comes out im not sure what else is better.
Personally I'd buy a Mazda 6.

Although I understand the Accord is still the better car overall. Which is why I have no problem with it representing the midsize category in this list.

Good list overall.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top 4 I'd agree with.....the rest are debatable
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Great list....the only one on the "bubble" is the Accord.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Great list....the only one on the "bubble" is the Accord.
but since they favor the hondas more than comparables, it will almost always be on that list
Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm surprised that no toyota/lexus is on that list as well.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I feel like the Accord is like the 3 series. On there out of respect.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
CTS-V You'd have to be heartless, or a rabid treehugger, not to like the V in some fashion.

That biased statement aside, I think it's a good list. I like all the cars on the list including the Accord (though I the Fit ....awesome car and a reminder of what made Honda successful.)
Old 11-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i really want an S4
Old 11-24-2009, 02:49 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
2010 Mazdaspeed3
Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggaman
i really want an S4
you and me both. I'm surprised to not see an Infiniti either.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
Personally I'd buy a Mazda 6.

Although I understand the Accord is still the better car overall. Which is why I have no problem with it representing the midsize category in this list.

Good list overall.

That was the exact car I was thinking of. I have a mazdaspeed3 now and when I was in the other day they had a black 6 fully loaded and it looked really nice.

Accord is a great car but just past its prime. Though I do hate that the 6 doesn't have a stick in its top line version
Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SG81
not even 1 Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infinity or even Genisis . i'm kinda surprised

I agree with you with the Genesis but not the others. C&D ranted and raved most of the beginning of this year about the Genesis and then didn't conclude it was a top 10 over the Accord.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by stlswagger
I agree with you with the Genesis but not the others. C&D ranted and raved most of the beginning of this year about the Genesis and then didn't conclude it was a top 10 over the Accord.
I believe there is some degree of categorization going on here so I don't think the Accord and Genesis go head to head.

The Genesis may have lost out to the CTS and/or 3 series.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The 09 Mazdaspeed 3 is more fun than the new 2010 Speed3. The 2010 model has a very tricky clutch and the car feels heavier and turning feels slower, wider. Even the salesman said they messed it up kind of.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by jiggaman
i really want an S4

sick car..
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

Honestly, not since the 3G has the Accord been truly outstanding in its segment. And as with the 7G, the 8G AV6 sedan may not be as sharp looking as the Mazda 6 nor as quick as the Altima V6 nor have the fit/finish of the Camry but it's THE car in this segment I'd want most want to own.

Honestly, the S4 is the big surprise. And my guess is that Audiphiles might take exception to the fact that it did not bump the M3 AND that the A4 lineup in its entirety is not included.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I drive a Subata.

I'd purchase the Accord in its segment without a doubt. IMO, it has the perfect balance of every aspect.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Ford Fusion
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ Eww! No!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator

2010 Audi S4

Back in 2004, when the S4 introduced the entry-level luxury-car segment to V-8 power, it was named a 10Best Car. Fast-forward six years. The all-new S4 lost a couple of cylinders but packs a silky, 333-hp supercharged V-6 (it makes just seven fewer horses than the old V-8 did) and might be the most controversial car on this year’s list.

The purists on staff contend that four-wheel drive has no place in a sports car (or a sedan trying its hardest to be one), and they also believe that the 3-series (including the ***-kicking M3) is a better all-around array when compared with the A4 lineup. They are right on one count: The 3-series is a better all-around array. But the S4 stands apart from the A4 line like a narc at a Dead show, and the rest of our staff can’t deny its capabilities. They outnumber the purists.

And capable it is. The S4 recently knocked off the blue-chip BMW 335i in a head-to-head comparison test [November 2009] despite producing practically identical performance numbers and weighing nearly 400 pounds more. The car exhibits a relatively high amount of understeer unless fitted with the optional (and by our standards essential) $1100 torque-vectoring rear differential, which transforms the S4 into an oversteering hoon. Suffice it to say, the fun-to-drive quotient grows, too.

Practicality is also on the S4’s side. Exceptional ergonomics, good comfort (especially in the rear seat), and class-leading styling round out its winning package.

2010 BMW 3-series / M3

Attacking our 10Best loop each year in a 3-series gives you the sense that this car has been designed for the sole purpose of oozing along that twisting, cratered section of pavement. There, it has a cohesive fluidity that’s unmatched by any of its competitors. But then, the 3 feels similarly sublime on any other stretch of road, too.

From the 230-hp 328i that can achieve 30-plus mpg on the highway to the even thriftier and uncharacteristically responsive diesel to the unforgettable bawl of the M3’s screaming 414-hp V-8 at 8400 rpm that gets the 0-to-60-mph job done in just over four seconds, the 3-series range is extremely broad. Body styles consist of coupe, sedan—including the resurrection of a fantastically subtle four-door M3— wagon, and folding-hardtop convertible.

There are faster cars, and ones with more horsepower, but the 3-series has earned a long list of comparison-test victories and now a 19th-consecutive 10Best appearance because of the instant confidence it imparts to the driver, making pushing a little harder completely comfortable. It’s the extraordinary precision and response of the perfectly weighted steering, the smooth predictability of the unwavering chassis, the optional sport seats that adjust and embrace in all the right ways, the slick six-speed manual transmissions, the firm but never harsh ride. In short, it’s the car we’d like to drive every day.

And some of us do. Actually, is there any higher praise than the fact that more of our staff has spent their own money to buy a 3-series than any other car?

2010 Cadillac CTS / CTS-V

Now entering its third year as a 10Best winner, the Cadillac CTS plays at the top of a segment packed with some of the best cars in the automotive kingdom. Its interior is gorgeous, with a truly expensive feel, and it is more spacious inside than most of its similarly priced competition. Outside, the CTS combines uniform shapes and sharp angles that borrow from nobody. But the way the CTS drives is what we keep falling for year after year—its moves are as crisp as its exterior lines. The CTS manages to blend refinement, driving dynamics, comfort, and performance in a refreshing, even exhilarating, way that satisfies enthusiast drivers and luxury seekers simultaneously.

For 2010, the sedan is joined by a new Sport Wagon that maintains the connected and rewarding feel of the sedan but adds practicality and arguably an even more stylish appearance. And for those who aren’t satisfied by the 304 horsepower of the 3.6-liter V-6, Cadillac still offers the CTS-V, a 556-hp supercharged beast that brawls eagerly with the very best sports sedans from Germany. More than a few of us consider the CTS-V to be the best American car ever made. Put that assertion aside, and the CTS-V is still a bargain alternative to the supersedans from Germany.

The CTS lineup retains its place on our list of favorite cars because it is that rare thing: an American car that doesn’t have to make excuses. It’s simply great.

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

It’s an unlikely claim, but the Ford Fusion hybrid is in fact the most advanced car on this list. Through the body of this unpretentious family sedan runs the sturdiest bridge between the tech of the 20th century and that of the 21st.

The Fusion’s hybrid powertrain is so refined and compact that it’s almost not there, but the driver-selectable, power-tracking gauge display gives the game away: It is Donkey Kong addictive, challenging its driver to run on electric power all the way up to a possible 47 mph. This is a boon to both car guys and the unafflicted—you can drive it for fun (a hybrid first) or for mileage (a class-leading 41 city/36 highway), which is also fun.

On the subject of in-car entertainment, Ford’s Sync system offers Sirius Travel Link, featuring weather, sports, traffic info, even movie times. This is the car as home computer, only voice controlled, organizing data for the driver and keeping distractions to a minimum.

That both of these elements function so seamlessly is the essence of the Fusion hybrid experience. It undersells itself in a decidedly un-Prius-like way, but its modesty can’t obscure its greatness. Fuel-economy numbers, handling, ride, interfaces—there is only virtue, no vice, making the Fusion hybrid the most mainstream and thus the most important alt-fuel vehicle on the road. It decouples fuel economy from economy-car ennui. We admire it as much for what it isn’t (polarizing, showy, cramped) as for what it is. And it is both fun to drive and interesting to drive, offering up new definitions of performance and entertainment.

2010 Honda Accord

In 28 years of 10Best competition, Honda’s Accord has made the list 24 times. Somewhere in Japan, there are about 200 engineers wringing their hands and asking each other, “Where’d we go wrong in those four losing years?” Maybe that’s why the car is so good.

In ’08, the redesigned Accord sedan vaulted into the EPA’s large-car domain yet retained the taut, square-jawed underpinnings that make it so gratifyingly competent to drive. The automatic transmission never draws attention to itself, body motions are subdued, the ****pit is hushed, the steering discreetly reveals what the front tires are up to, and the 2.4-liter four is not only quick to rev but also offers the idle quality of a six.

But what so reliably sets the Accord apart is its platform—as solid and unyielding as a shotgun barrel.

If the sedan pegs your personal blandness meter, investigate the slick coupe. When fitted with the 271-hp V-6, it becomes an Accord coup. Row through the velvety manual six-speed—barking the front tires something fierce as you shift into second—and 60 mph manifests in 5.6 seconds. It feels peculiar to be nailing apexes and heel-and-toeing in an Accord—it’s like yelling at your mom—but it’s okay to tell friends that this is the spiritual successor to the feisty Prelude.

The V-6 coupe could benefit from less torque steer, a less confusing center stack, and a friendlier sticker—an over-$30K Accord is in Celine Dion territory. She could call hers the Accord Dion.

2010 Honda Fit

The overachieving Fit is one of our quick-draw answers when people ask us which car to buy. It’s all the car anyone needs—big fun, and as cheap to own and operate as a hamster. Despite the Fit’s microbial footprint, it takes truly Sasquatchian dimensions to be discomforted inside, and all that space is surrounded by quality materials and thoughtful design unmatched in many vehicles costing much more.

While the 1.5-liter’s 117 horsepower won’t much squish the seatback foam, keeping the four-pot revving can make for an engaging game with either of its two available transmissions. With short shifts and direct, mechanical movement, the base five-speed manual should be studied by the world’s finer sports-car makers. Pairing the automatic with the Sport model nets an obedient paddle-shifted slushbox that does the cheapest F1 impression on the market.

If momentum isn’t particularly easy to summon up, it’s a riot to conserve. The Fit zips through corners with an agile, balanced manner directed by quick and accurate steering. Thick bolsters on the front seats keep occupants comfortable and in place while reinforcing the idea that the Fit is not just an economical car but an entertaining one, too. It is engaging enough to inspire back-road thrusts and parries, but it won’t alert police.

Everything about this Honda feels like a more expensive, more upmarket vehicle. It is the marriage of a number of seemingly paradoxical concepts, but its greatest accomplishment is the association this little runabout dissolves: The Fit proves more decisively than any other vehicle that affordable and cheap are mutually exclusive concepts.

2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata

The fundamental mission of a sports car is to put smiles on the faces of its occupants, and few accomplish that mission more effectively than the Miata. After all, a sports car, particularly a roadster, is at least as much about transportation for the spirit as it is about simply getting your body from one point to another.

What makes the Miata special in this regard? Certainly not organ-displacing power. With 167 horsepower (158 with the automatic transmission) and 140 pound-feet of torque, the Miata’s 2.0-liter four is at the low end of the contemporary sports-car pyramid.

On the other hand, it’s fair to say that the Miata has become one of the world’s most popular race cars, particularly among the weekend warriors of club racing, as well as autocross. On any weekend, flocks of Miatas are on track somewhere, battling for trophies.

There are two very good reasons for this. First, the Miata possesses the essential qualities that separate sporting machinery from the rest of the herd: feline reflexes, crisp shifting, and surgically precise steering—traits that make a car a treat to drive on a winding back road.

Second, the Miata’s pricing puts sports-car fun within economic reach of just about anyone. The range starts at $23,560, and even when maxed out with leather and a power-retractable hardtop (one of the best: 12 seconds up or down, preserves trunk space), the bottom line doesn’t go much over $30K. Agility and affordability. In a sports car, it’s a combination that’s tough to beat.

2010 Mazda 3 / Mazdaspeed 3

The latest Mazda 3 arrives with more than just a shiny new wrapper. It’s more refined, too. In both 148-hp i and 167-hp s versions, the basic Mazda 3 feels more like a genuine car than most of the econoboxes it competes with on price—a bare-bones i starts at $16,045, and the s begins at $19,790. Material quality, ride quality, and chassis control are all a class above. If there are beancounters at Mazda, they don’t get anywhere near the suspension. Getting behind the wheel of the Mazda 3 is a comforting reminder that there is a fun-to-drive car for every economic stratum.

And then there’s the Mazdaspeed 3 in all of its 263-hp glory. You’ll have to spend thousands more than the Speed 3’s $23,945 base price to find a more complete performance package that seats four in comfort. It might have coarse manners compared with the VW GTI, but its visceral thrill is part of the Speed 3’s appeal.

The presence of two cars with a 3-based designation on the 10Best list might suggest that we’re suckers for any vehicle with a 3 in its name. But it’s just a coincidence. Like the BMW 3-series, the Mazda 3 delivers an exceptional package in all of its trim levels.

2010 Porsche Boxster / Cayman

There are a lot of words beginning with the letter “P” that can describe the mechanically identical Boxster and Cayman—poised and profitable leap to mind—but we think the most appropriate one is perfect. It’s certainly hard to think otherwise when the Boxster offers a driving experience so sublime and so tactile that it’s really only rivaled by the Cayman’s. Every spin of the steering wheel, every push of a pedal, every fat blat from the flat-six engines, they’re all calibrated to deliver one thing: unparalleled automotive pleasure. In fact, the pair proves even more rewarding than the iconic—and much pricier—911.

The list of strengths goes on. The structures are girder-level rigid whether you opt for the tintop Cayman or the droptop Boxster. Operating the manual transmission is an act of mechanical self-gratification. And last year saw the addition of direct fuel injection for S models (which raised gas mileage and widened the already potent power band) and the slick, dual-clutch PDK gearbox for folks who no longer wish to use a clutch pedal. Power went up, too, with base models gaining 10 (Boxster) and 20 (Cayman) horsepower and the respective S cars getting an additional 15 and 25 horses.

Beyond that, they’re livable and luxurious, with good cargo room from their two trunks as well as supportive seats and leather everywhere (including on the coat hooks and vent slats, if you opt for it). Sure, these mid-engined Porsches are expensive, but don’t you always get what you pay for? This is the 11th appearance on our 10Best list for the Boxster and the fourth for its hardheaded sibling.

Hail Boxster. Hail Cayman. Long may they reign.

2010 Volkswagen GTI

The latest GTI is the sixth iteration since VW invented the pocket rocket (or “hot hatch” in Euro-speak) back in 1976. And while the GTI has grown larger and more powerful, it keeps its original spirit.

It’s relatively inexpensive and supremely practical yet is an immensely entertaining vehicle that’s as happy meandering around mall parking lots as it is being flogged along a great back road. The 200-hp, turbocharged inline four-cylinder is smooth and responsive, although it doesn’t imbue the GTI with the kind of startling acceleration that the brawnier Mazdaspeed 3 possesses.

But then, the GTI doesn’t shout about its ability. It’s the quiet kid at school who gets on with it and outperforms the blustery types on the ball field and in the classroom. It doesn’t dart and lunge across uneven blacktop but seems to caress the road surface. The midrange torque and easy handling allow a GTI to cover twisting blacktop at hair-raising speeds. It steers and stops like a sports car. And whether the driver opts for the standard six-speed manual or the dual-clutch transmission, shifting is smooth and gratifying.

This latest car is better-looking inside and out than was the outgoing model, and we are particularly taken with the interior design and execution. It looks and feels like a car that costs more than its base $24,189 price, making it even more of a great value in our book.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I drive a Subata.

TSX69 < jesal
Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by JS + TL
^ Eww! No!
Fusion is 10x's the better looking (exterior) sedan than the Accord mess.

Not to mention the 3.5 V6 w/ a 6 speed automatic.

I dunno...the Accord for the past couple of gens has been a mess IMHO.

The Accord is not the fantastic sedan it was years ago.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S4, GTI and Fit should not be on that list. No Acura or Lexus deserves to be on that list but the G37 should be there imo
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Fusion is 10x's the better looking (exterior) sedan than the Accord mess.

Not to mention the 3.5 V6 w/ a 6 speed automatic.

I dunno...the Accord for the past couple of gens has been a mess IMHO.

The Accord is not the fantastic sedan it was years ago.

I test drove the 1st gen fusion and it was a handling mess. The whole car felt like it was going to fall apart. Steering had zero feedback at all.

Now with so much praise the new Fusion is getting, im assuming they fixed all that. Kinda tempted to give one a go.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Acuras Only in

S4, M3/335i, and CTS-V are all deserving winners ...

What happened to S2000 that used to rival Miata ?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
GTi shouldn't still be there. Neither should the Fit. Either G37 or 370Z should be there. I'd pick the new Taurus over the Accord as well....
Old 11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by shooter
S4, M3/335i, and CTS-V are all deserving winners ...

What happened to S2000 that used to rival Miata ?
You know S2000 had been discontinued quite awhile ago right?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
S2000.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I cant believe the Corvette didnt make it this year. I think it was 8 straight years for the Vette on the list. Especially odd considering the ZR1 and Grand Sport both came out this year.....

Car and Driver has been :thumbsdow as of late anyway. Canceled my subscription last year...
Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
wasn't the malibu the big hit of the year supposidly outdoing the accord? what happened?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I test drove the 1st gen fusion and it was a handling mess. The whole car felt like it was going to fall apart. Steering had zero feedback at all.
Are u kidding me? We have an 06 SEL and that thing is rock solid. No interior sqeaks/rattles like u get in Altimas and Camry's these days. And the steering and handling in the Fusion is excellent. Compared to Altimas and Camrys and Malibus the Fusion has always had better steering feel and more feedback. BTW we own both an 07 Altima and 06 Fusion so i'm not really biased towards either...
Old 11-25-2009, 03:45 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
I think the list is OK. The Accord is still the benchmark, but it is no longer a mid-sized sedan. I think the Audi and BMW are the bar for mid sized cars.

1 S4 please, in that lovely blue they use on the RS6.....
Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Ford Fusion
I'd get the Fusion over the Accord ONLY if I was able to procure it for thousands less than it's Accord equivalent. And as far as 4 cylinder models go, Honda makes the best on the planet bar none with the K-series.

, maybe I am drinking a bit much of the Honda kool aid but for similar money I just cant pull the trigger on a Fusion over the Accord. (...and that's pretty much how I felt in getting the 09 MDX over the Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia....the latter two being extremely nice SUVs in their own rite.)

Styling faux pas aside, the Honda brand simply has too much weight when it comes to actually signing on the dotted line (so to speak).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car & Driver: 2010 10 Best List