camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camaro ss

what do you cl owners think about me getting a 2002 camaro ss 6spd black/black or supercharge my 2003 cl-s? the only thing i hate is the auto tranny and front wheel drive, plus im kind of stuck with it cause it's paid off but so far i have intake headers, exhaust , tein coilovers, and a jl audio system,tint, the only thing i would do is the ronjon kit with 18 inch ronjon devotion wheels
Old 10-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
My friend had a z28, those things have a shit load of torque, i was very impressed
Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 PM
o-qua tangin wann

get the camaro and blow that

those cars are sweet, especially the SS-- not only that but you see them less and less now a days (at least around here)

i'm just biased towards the f-bodies b/c i used to have one, and my father has an original '79
Old 10-12-2006, 12:18 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
i dated a chick whose dad had an SS. thing was sweet. not the most comfortable car but i'd pick one up now rather than later.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:27 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
ss' and ws6's get like 25-30MPG stock which is awesome. Plus mods are everywhere, they are, for the most part, cheap, and they add a TON of HP.

2 grand and you could have a 11-12 second car easy.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Do It
Old 10-12-2006, 10:02 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing to know about an LS1 Fbody, is that no matter if it is a firehawk, WS6 or SS, they all make around the same horsepower. You will find that all models from the same year dyno around the same power. And what most people think is that the Special cars have better suspension and all that. Wrong. I have a Trans Am, non WS6, but i have the GU5 and 1LE options. Which is better gearing and better suspension. I am letting you know because a Z28 can be had for so much cheaper and it is the same car minus the hood and wheels. Which can be bought for under a 1000 if you get em off the LS1 forums. I love my Trans Am. With $500 headers and a $200 exhaust, i ran a 12.7. I am modded to high heaven now and the car still gets close to 30mpg when not beaten on. I dont have as many squeaks and rattles as my TL had, and the car is built very solid. Yes, it has some small quirks, but the power and sound of dumped duals makes up for it. You can purchase a low mile, fully loaded, leather/t-top Z28, get the SS(or nicer) hood, get the SS wheels, heads, cam, header back exhaust, intake and a tune, for about 12-14 grand, and be a high 10(drag radials), low 11 sec car easily. All while retaining a high 20's mpg. It's very hard to do that on an all motor car. I have a buddy with a 10 sec street formula, with about 130k miles on the clock now. The car still runs great and passed a compression test. And the misconception that people have is that all 4th gens are terrible cars. They are not. Back in 97, GM introduced the second gen of the fourth gen. That car, although very similar, is a lot better in every way than the previous LT1 cars. I say, at a minimum, test drive one.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 PM
givin the business

DO EET...LS1 ftw
Old 10-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 99 Camaro SS and I loved it! It was an Auto but still very fast. I do believe my GTO is faster though!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by Ashburner
I had a 99 Camaro SS and I loved it! It was an Auto but still very fast. I do believe my GTO is faster though!
Stock for stock, the LS2 GTO is a cunt hair faster than an LS1 equiped F Bod. Off the line, it usually depends who launches best. from a roll, the GTO pulls a little. Now LS1 GTO vs LS1 Fbod, the Fbod is ghost on the Goat. The goat is an awesome car though. I wish i had one. The autos are awesome. I have a stalled A4 and ohh my, how i tear m6 cars with more power a new one off the line and from a slow roll.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not too well versed on F-bodies - I know the basics that bigman mentioned (fast stock, all dyno similar, and very receptive to boltons), but to me it seems like the car doesn't offer a "complete" package. I guess to quote JC from Topgear here - "like other american cars, it goes fast in a straightline and not much else".... From what limited experience I've seen at the AutoX and heard/read about, I'd tend to agree in that it seems to be built for straightline speed, but its other dynamic characteristics such as handling, leave something to be desired. Anyone, especially owners (bigman, etc.) want to chime in on this?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
What are you willing to give up?
The CLS is a nice quiet, low key car, with a good ride, comfortable interior, & good power. An F body is a loud, attraction getting, rough riding, bare bones car, with massive power.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a used LS1 GTO? It wouldn't cost much more than what you'd get on your CL-S.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
go for a 6spd! the auto's are balls, but the 6spd in the SS' make a big difference if you know how to drive. bolt-on's are nuts on FB's and the 6spd make it more pronounced and aggressive, not to meniton much more fun to drive. I want to buy a 97-00 SS 6spd badly and throw I/H/P/E on it and blow porsches away, then have my TL to comfort my sore back after the beating the SS has given me.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
DO IT!!!

Do a heads and cam package and put about 450HP to the ground!!! You'll love it!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:54 PM
whut

I'd go LS2 GTO...personal preference...just because the interior is significantly better than an F-body and I like my creature comforts. I like the sleeper exterior also even though isn't stylish by any stretch. If only it weren't so damn heavy...
Old 10-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
drool, i love the camaro SS
Old 10-15-2006, 04:45 PM
My Member is Registered

my friend has an SS, 2001. He put subframe connectors, headers and a Y-pipe on, nothing else. He just did a 12.7 at Capital raceway and he was babying his clutch...

Third gear in that thing is like being shot out of a cannon.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:10 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

Talking about the SS...saw this one for sell in NY...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/car/220879015.html
Old 10-15-2006, 10:28 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cl-s03
what do you cl owners think about me getting a 2002 camaro ss 6spd black/black or supercharge my 2003 cl-s? the only thing i hate is the auto tranny and front wheel drive, plus im kind of stuck with it cause it's paid off but so far i have intake headers, exhaust , tein coilovers, and a jl audio system,tint, the only thing i would do is the ronjon kit with 18 inch ronjon devotion wheels
Camaro, for sure!!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by CLpower
Do It
Which? He gave us a choice...
Old 10-16-2006, 10:01 AM
The Boss

I would pick the Camaro SS over doing any mod work on your TL.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:04 AM
The Boss

Originally Posted by bigman
One thing to know about an LS1 Fbody, is that no matter if it is a firehawk, WS6 or SS, they all make around the same horsepower. You will find that all models from the same year dyno around the same power. And what most people think is that the Special cars have better suspension and all that. Wrong. I have a Trans Am, non WS6, but i have the GU5 and 1LE options. Which is better gearing and better suspension. I am letting you know because a Z28 can be had for so much cheaper and it is the same car minus the hood and wheels. Which can be bought for under a 1000 if you get em off the LS1 forums. I love my Trans Am. With $500 headers and a $200 exhaust, i ran a 12.7. I am modded to high heaven now and the car still gets close to 30mpg when not beaten on. I dont have as many squeaks and rattles as my TL had, and the car is built very solid. Yes, it has some small quirks, but the power and sound of dumped duals makes up for it. You can purchase a low mile, fully loaded, leather/t-top Z28, get the SS(or nicer) hood, get the SS wheels, heads, cam, header back exhaust, intake and a tune, for about 12-14 grand, and be a high 10(drag radials), low 11 sec car easily. All while retaining a high 20's mpg. It's very hard to do that on an all motor car. I have a buddy with a 10 sec street formula, with about 130k miles on the clock now. The car still runs great and passed a compression test. And the misconception that people have is that all 4th gens are terrible cars. They are not. Back in 97, GM introduced the second gen of the fourth gen. That car, although very similar, is a lot better in every way than the previous LT1 cars. I say, at a minimum, test drive one.
The 5.7 engines are one of the best engines Chevy ever made. It's no surprise that you will be seeing the SS up to 150k without a problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i agree the reliability of the 350 is awesome for a muscle car engine. the trannys are rock solid too!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:28 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by vishnus11
I'm not too well versed on F-bodies - I know the basics that bigman mentioned (fast stock, all dyno similar, and very receptive to boltons), but to me it seems like the car doesn't offer a "complete" package. I guess to quote JC from Topgear here - "like other american cars, it goes fast in a straightline and not much else".... From what limited experience I've seen at the AutoX and heard/read about, I'd tend to agree in that it seems to be built for straightline speed, but its other dynamic characteristics such as handling, leave something to be desired. Anyone, especially owners (bigman, etc.) want to chime in on this?
The same can be said for the Bugatti Veyron. Fast in a straight line, but a boat in the corners.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Throw on some subframes, shocks, and springs. You will have a car that can handle. And the problem with the handling is the solid rear axle design. That is why a vette is better at the track and the f bod is better in the 1/4 when similarly modded. With the f body manuals are for fun, but stalled autos win races. BTW what about a trans am. You will get more creature comforts, better seats and to me they look better. I saw a used one on autotrader not to long ago for about $13k. It was a trans am, non ws6 with 30 something k miles on it.

**One thing to remember with the Fbods. since they are a "heritage" vehicle, all the special models will sell for a lot more then the "regular" models. And for no reason though. The SS Camaro has a non functional ram air hood, stiffer shocks, slp d/d exhaust and different wheels. All that SLP garbage makes the car more expensive fopr no reason. Dont buy into the ram air, ws6 and all that shit. You will save so much money, and have better options for functional hoods and components later. And stay far far away from SLP.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

The same can be said for the Bugatti Veyron. Fast in a straight line, but a boat in the corners.
Sorry to sound rude, but that was a stupid, unrelated comment. What the heck does a Bugatti Veyron have to do with a Camaro SS. Compared with sports car in its "class"/price range the camaro isn't a competent handle, thus my comment about it not offering a "complete" package.

A Veyron will destroy all cars in a straightline and 98% of cars in the twisties. What's your point?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by vishnus11
Sorry to sound rude, but that was a stupid, unrelated comment. What the heck does a Bugatti Veyron have to do with a Camaro SS. Compared with sports car in its "class"/price range the camaro isn't a competent handle, thus my comment about it not offering a "complete" package.

A Veyron will destroy all cars in a straightline and 98% of cars in the twisties. What's your point?
Chill out, i am in no way shape or form comparing the two. I just posted a vague fact to respond to your vague fact. For the year camaro he is asking about, there were no other real competitors in the price range except for the mustang. And last i checked, the camaro had it's way with the mustang gt around a track. Same goes for the veyron, there are not that many competitors in its price, range, and it handles like shit for a car at it's price range. I am going by statements of people who have driven the cars in reviews. The Bugatti has nothing to do with anything, but neither does the fact that the camaro is a straight line machine. Neither Chevy, nor the people that drive them ever tried to hide that. But doent sleep on an F Body with suspension upgrades, they are sleepers at auto-X events.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:11 PM
04 remembrance

Hitler doesn't like Camaro's..
Old 10-17-2006, 08:33 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by iamhomin
Hitler doesn't like Camaro's..
lol, that video reminded me of this post and made me
Old 10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
I love cars!

Throw on some subframes, shocks, and springs. You will have a car that can handle. And the problem with the handling is the solid rear axle design. That is why a vette is better at the track and the f bod is better in the 1/4 when similarly modded. With the f body manuals are for fun, but stalled autos win races. BTW what about a trans am. You will get more creature comforts, better seats and to me they look better. I saw a used one on autotrader not to long ago for about $13k. It was a trans am, non ws6 with 30 something k miles on it.

**One thing to remember with the Fbods. since they are a "heritage" vehicle, all the special models will sell for a lot more then the "regular" models. And for no reason though. The SS Camaro has a non functional ram air hood, stiffer shocks, slp d/d exhaust and different wheels. All that SLP garbage makes the car more expensive fopr no reason. Dont buy into the ram air, ws6 and all that shit. You will save so much money, and have better options for functional hoods and components later. And stay far far away from SLP.
I wasn't going to step in to correct you at first, but as a former f-body owner, I had to when you got to non-functional ram air hood. That's simply NOT true. The ram air function was one reason the SS had a higher horsepower rating than the Z28, which I had. Also, in your first sentence, I think you mean subfram CONNECTORS, not subframes. That might not be obvious to someone who's never owned one of these cars. A potential buyer could add subframe *connectors* to stiffen the chassis, though I never did. I took my t-top car to the strip several times with no twisting, squeaks or rattles. Aside from my TL, it was the best car I ever owned for the 43K miles I owned it. Literally bought it off the showroom floor.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I love cars!

RE: handling, with 245/50 16s all around I never had a problem pointing that car where I wanted to go. Handling was great in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by fast-tl
I wasn't going to step in to correct you at first, but as a former f-body owner, I had to when you got to non-functional ram air hood. That's simply NOT true. The ram air function was one reason the SS had a higher horsepower rating than the Z28, which I had. Also, in your first sentence, I think you mean subfram CONNECTORS, not subframes. That might not be obvious to someone who's never owned one of these cars. A potential buyer could add subframe *connectors* to stiffen the chassis, though I never did. I took my t-top car to the strip several times with no twisting, squeaks or rattles. Aside from my TL, it was the best car I ever owned for the 43K miles I owned it. Literally bought it off the showroom floor.
Check out LS1tech.com. The reason i said subframes, is because i am so used to saying shit like ORY (off road Y-pipe), LT's(Long tube headers), Subframes(sub-frame connectors), and so on, it was an honest mistake, not ignorance. And the ss hood does have scoops that funnel air arounf the hood and back to the intake, but it is in no way a fully functioning raim air setup, its more of a cold air setup. The ws6 has more direct airflow at higher speeds. And i hate to correct you, but the higher numbers for SS cars and WS6 cars was to sell more cars. If you visit the site you will notice that there is really no difference between a z28 and an SS or a ws6 and a formula in terms of output. Fact of the matter is that an LS1 is an LS1, and all F bodies make around the same power. There are guys with base model formulas making more than WS6's out the box. Not to mention that none of the so called ram air hoods are sealed to the airbox, meaning that by the time the air hits the unsealed airbox, the loss of pressure makes it a glorified cold air. The only time you will see power changes is from year to year. Some years had egr, other years had the LS6 intake manifold, different years changed exhausts, and so on. Dont fall for the hype, you can get a less expensive car, buy a ram air hood, get a functional lower airbox and lid and have it sealed to the hood. And even then you will need to be traveling at high speeds to achive that 1 - 5 horse gain. But i agree with you on handling, its not as bad as people say, and i believe by 97 GM already started upgrading the suspension on the F bodies. But with some shocks, sways, springs, subframe connectors, strut tower brace, and good tires, you will have a great handling car.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Instructor

I had one for a while and it was built. I loved it but gas + family = needed a more comfy, family oriented car so the Camaro went away. I miss the power and the sound but the TSX is way more comfortable and luxurious. Get it, you'll enjoy it.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:29 PM
I love cars!

Check out LS1tech.com. The reason i said subframes, is because i am so used to saying shit like ORY (off road Y-pipe), LT's(Long tube headers), Subframes(sub-frame connectors), and so on, it was an honest mistake, not ignorance. And the ss hood does have scoops that funnel air arounf the hood and back to the intake, but it is in no way a fully functioning raim air setup, its more of a cold air setup. The ws6 has more direct airflow at higher speeds. And i hate to correct you, but the higher numbers for SS cars and WS6 cars was to sell more cars. If you visit the site you will notice that there is really no difference between a z28 and an SS or a ws6 and a formula in terms of output. Fact of the matter is that an LS1 is an LS1, and all F bodies make around the same power. There are guys with base model formulas making more than WS6's out the box. Not to mention that none of the so called ram air hoods are sealed to the airbox, meaning that by the time the air hits the unsealed airbox, the loss of pressure makes it a glorified cold air. The only time you will see power changes is from year to year. Some years had egr, other years had the LS6 intake manifold, different years changed exhausts, and so on. Dont fall for the hype, you can get a less expensive car, buy a ram air hood, get a functional lower airbox and lid and have it sealed to the hood. And even then you will need to be traveling at high speeds to achive that 1 - 5 horse gain. But i agree with you on handling, its not as bad as people say, and i believe by 97 GM already started upgrading the suspension on the F bodies. But with some shocks, sways, springs, subframe connectors, strut tower brace, and good tires, you will have a great handling car.
Gotcha, gotcha. you are likely right about the output. My '97 showed 295 hp (adding in the auto's drivetrain loss) with no mods, which shows the F-body made the same 300hp as the Vette, not 185 as they were rated. *Sigh*, I miss that car to THIS day. The MGB I just picked us is a whole 'nother animal.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:55 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotcha, gotcha. you are likely right about the output. My '97 showed 295 hp (adding in the auto's drivetrain loss) with no mods, which shows the F-body made the same 300hp as the Vette, not 185 as they were rated. *Sigh*, I miss that car to THIS day. The MGB I just picked us is a whole 'nother animal.
295 and 185 is a HUGE fucking difference. Do you mean 285?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:27 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by agranado
295 and 185 is a HUGE fucking difference. Do you mean 285?
Yes he meant 285. My trans am dynoed 315 stock. With just a lid and cat back it dynoed 331 and 345. I have been working on it for months, i cant wait to get everything done and tuned. I'm going crazy trying to figure out how much i will be making.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:31 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
The MGB I just picked us is a whole 'nother animal.

pics and info on your MGB
Old 10-24-2006, 08:34 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by CLpower
pics and info on your MGB

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=13
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...00#post5085500
Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
no way I would give up a CL type S for a camaro SS.....not a comfortable long range cruiser...insurance would rape me up the rear all day long....maint cost for all off the little things that go wrong....lol........

Quick Reply: camaro ss