Any Fit owners/fans out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010 | 01:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Any Fit owners/fans out there?

I am mulling over adding a used Honda Fit (Sport maybe) to the corral as a winter beater/summer daily commuter. Not seriously, mind you, but doing a "what if" sort of analysis.

As much as I love my CTS-V, I'd love to have a gas-sipping daily commuter.

The 2G Fit in 5-speed trim fits the bill and to boot, is the only currently sold Honda that actually looks good. The interior is very roomy for a car its size. For a car with so little power or torque, it's very entertaining to drive. I wouldn't buy an automatic version. With tint and wheels, it looks even sharper. I LOVE these cars and they remind me of why I started driving Hondas 20 years ago.

I'd be keeping the V, of course. If I were thinking without emotion, though, I could sell it and use the proceeds to pay off not only my loan, but also a Fit so I wouldn't have a car payment at all. The V has kept its value very well and with 20k miles on it currently, I'd get $45-50k out of selling it; and I owe very little on it at this point. Again, NOT doing this and so not relevant to this "what if" analysis.

OTOH, I could just use my S2000 (which I own free and clear) more during warm weather--only drove it 2k miles in 2010. I get 23-25 mpg with my typical freeway commute when banging out 9k rpm shifts...and 30 mpg if I granny-shift at 3k rpm all the time with the top up. In fact, the further I write in this post, the more I realize I already have a fuel-sipping commuter. Downside to the S2000 is that I absolutely refuse to take it out when the roads are salted over.

In any case, are there any other Fit fans out there? Any pros or cons to owning one?
Old 12-19-2010 | 01:05 AM
Senior Moderator

I have nothing to add, I've looked at one as a 'Dog/junk' car that also gets good gas mileage and easy to park in town. I was quite impressed!
Old 12-19-2010 | 01:44 AM
Pro

I absolutely love the Fit. In fact, although I have a 1G TSX, the 2G Fit is my favorite Honda on sale right now, regardless of price (does not include Acura models). Given the McStructs front/Torsion rear suspension, the Fit handles incredibly well in it's class, and it is easily the number one choice for me if I was looking for a car in its class. Also, with the MMC coming very soon, it is also pretty well equipped (eg. VSA is a big deal to me when I see snow 4-5 months a year). It's also pretty amazing what kind of items you can fit in the car.

My only complaint is that the interior door panels feel kinda cheap, but given the price point it's not a major complaint. It's also a bit expensive in Canada, most likely due to the 6.1% tax because it's assembled overseas. Regardless, if I was looking for a fuel efficient and reliable commuter car, I would have no doubt go straight to the Honda dealer. BTW, if I were to get one...it would be a Orange Fit Sport 5MT. Why don't you go drive one just for the heck of it?
Old 12-19-2010 | 02:05 AM
Disinformation Terminator

I'm curious as to why the Fit exactly. Have the Cube, Scion XB, Mazda 5 and Kia Soul all been examined and rejected?
Old 12-19-2010 | 03:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMirror
I'm curious as to why the Fit exactly. Have the Cube, Scion XB, Mazda 5 and Kia Soul all been examined and rejected?
All those the fit beats in mags. the fit even beat the new mazda 2/ford fiesta. The fit is way more sporty. auto comes with paddle shifters. If it wasnt for the state of NC saying that it was too small for my situation (spinalcord injury) I would have bought an 08 sport over the 08 accord coupe i purchased.
Old 12-19-2010 | 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Fair question.

A) I'm still a Honda guy and thought to look at the Fit first.
B) I've driven a Fit.
C) of the cars you list, all but the Soul and Mazda 5 are too ugly for me, and for my purposes I'd take a Mazda 3 over the 5 for size and fuel economy alone.

I will probably drive a Soul at some point just to do it. It'd be a 5-speed, of course.

Again, this is a "what if" analysis. In the real world, most likely, next year I will just make a conscious effort to drive my S2000 more frequently.
Old 12-19-2010 | 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by loulinjai
I absolutely love the Fit. In fact, although I have a 1G TSX, the 2G Fit is my favorite Honda on sale right now, regardless of price (does not include Acura models). Given the McStructs front/Torsion rear suspension, the Fit handles incredibly well in it's class, and it is easily the number one choice for me if I was looking for a car in its class. Also, with the MMC coming very soon, it is also pretty well equipped (eg. VSA is a big deal to me when I see snow 4-5 months a year). It's also pretty amazing what kind of items you can fit in the car.

My only complaint is that the interior door panels feel kinda cheap, but given the price point it's not a major complaint. It's also a bit expensive in Canada, most likely due to the 6.1% tax because it's assembled overseas. Regardless, if I was looking for a fuel efficient and reliable commuter car, I would have no doubt go straight to the Honda dealer. BTW, if I were to get one...it would be a Orange Fit Sport 5MT. Why don't you go drive one just for the heck of it?
I agree with you. Yes, the interior is cheap, but better than anything else in its class (I've at least sat in most of the competition at some point). The car looks best in orange or silver to my eyes. I have driven one. Even though I drive a high-powered car, I could easily make the transition to the Fit just like I do to the S2000.

Thankfully, it's inexpensive in the U.S., and I'd purchase it used. Of note is that Fits keep their value exceptionally well. Only the highest mileage cars are under $10k U.S..
Old 12-19-2010 | 07:23 AM
Senior Moderator

I took my first ride in my wife's cousin's new Fit (5MT) last weekend. While the interior bits seem to fall slightly short of typical Honda quality (and well below Acura), it's definitely NOT Dodge Caliber in this area. But I do agree with this :

My only complaint is that the interior door panels feel kinda cheap, but given the price point it's not a major complaint.
Anyhow, her cousin indicated that he averaged about 34mpg on his trip from Dallas, Tx back to NJ which I felt was fairly impressive. As a counterpoint, my son told him that he should have considered a used Si. Have you considered one of those Bob?
Old 12-19-2010 | 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

An Si? Interesting thought. However, a used current-gen Si sedan (which is the one I would consider, not the 01-05 hatch) costs the same as a new Fit and is not as versatile. If I do this, I'm going to go super-cheap, purchasing with cash, so I don't have an additional car payment.

Last edited by neuronbob; 12-19-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2010 | 10:51 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I average 34mpg combined highway and city driving in my Fit. I love it, but my girl wants something bigger eventually. It's a wonderful dogmobile, swallows up just about anything, fun to drive and no problems in the 20k+ we've had it. Straight highway is close to 40mpg.

The interior isn't terrible, cheaper materials were used then your average Honda product.
Old 12-19-2010 | 10:54 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Downside is low torque, low on power. They shoulda put the R18 in this thing and get identical mileage. My '09 does not have bluetooth or outside temp guage either.

Other then that I really like the car.
Old 12-19-2010 | 10:55 AM

I LOVE the Fit. About a year ago I was considering selling the TL and getting a brand new 2G Fit. I wanted better mpg but I think the lack of power would make me go crazy.

I've decided to keep the TL and get my moneys worth out of it, but I still find myself visiting Fit forums quite often.
Old 12-19-2010 | 11:46 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

I love the Fit and have been trying to justify one since introduction.

Bob we are at different places in our lives but I think some things are similar. My toy is my 93 DelSol. It is driven about the same amount as your S2k. If I really wanted to have a cheap dd, all I have to do is step outside.

I am usually in the TL by myself. My wife drives our MDX unless I need the utility. I love the Fit but it just doesn't (Fit). I refuse to sell the DelSol even though I rarely drive it. I used the same logic last year when I almost purchased an S2k. YMMV of course.

Looking forward to seeing your new beater.
Old 12-19-2010 | 12:15 PM
seizure force field!

Love the Fit, it reminds me a little of EP3 hatches which I also love.

Mr. Shants man has a Fit IIRC.
Old 12-19-2010 | 12:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I average 34mpg combined highway and city driving in my Fit. I love it, but my girl wants something bigger eventually. It's a wonderful dogmobile, swallows up just about anything, fun to drive and no problems in the 20k+ we've had it. Straight highway is close to 40mpg.

The interior isn't terrible, cheaper materials were used then your average Honda product.
My friend got 48mpg in his 09 but we live on the coast where its flat. my TL gets 33-35mpg normally on trips.
Old 12-19-2010 | 12:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
All those the fit beats in mags. the fit even beat the new mazda 2/ford fiesta. The fit is way more sporty. auto comes with paddle shifters. If it wasnt for the state of NC saying that it was too small for my situation (spinalcord injury) I would have bought an 08 sport over the 08 accord coupe i purchased.

Not intending to be nosy ParaSurfer, but your state can decide which vehicle is best suited to you? I've never heard of such a thing. Who decides which vehicle is most appropriate? Medical associations or licensing departments? What happens if you prefer a vehicle they consider not to be adequate? Again, not trying to be nosy, just curious.

Terry
Old 12-19-2010 | 12:53 PM
Banned

Downside is low torque, low on power. They shoulda put the R18 in this thing and get identical mileage. My '09 does not have bluetooth or outside temp guage either.

Other then that I really like the car.
If u feel its low on power add intake, downpipe, and exhaust and most are at 140-145 bhp. The L15 has a turbo kit from Mugen too making 5psi i think yields 160bhp if im not mistaken.

The FIT with intake sound really good. The 2nd gen L15a has real vtec unlike 1st gen but I still dont hear the vtec x-over.

Old 12-19-2010 | 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teranfon
Not intending to be nosy ParaSurfer, but your state can decide which vehicle is best suited to you? I've never heard of such a thing. Who decides which vehicle is most appropriate? Medical associations or licensing departments? What happens if you prefer a vehicle they consider not to be adequate? Again, not trying to be nosy, just curious.

Terry
Oh i'm sorry vocational; rehabilitation will pay up to half for a car and all modifications if you can afford to pay the other half. So yes the can mandate when they are paying... lol. I can get what i want but ill be paying everything. They wanted me to get a van because by diagnosis im a quad. i look like a para and am as strong so the let me get a car. btw, my name is in my signature. Feel free to use it...lol.

Last edited by ParaSurfer1979; 12-19-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2010 | 01:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Oh i'm sorry vocational; rehabilitation will pay up to half for a car and all modifications if you can afford to pay the other half. So yes the can mandate when they are paying... lol. I can get what i want but ill be paying everything. They wanted me to get a van because by diagnosis im a quad. i look like a para and am as strong so the let me get a car. btw, my name is in my signature. Feel free to use it...lol.

Thanks Desmond. That makes sense. I was confused by the mentioning of your state. I remember when I was a university student in the eighties a fellow student had a new Buick GNX outfitted with hand controls. I remember him telling me he drove it very carefully.

Bob:
I don't have a Fit (or fits), but know a few people that do (the car). All enjoy them very much. Interestingly, most bought them as runabouts, but in time they actually used them year round as their primary drivers. The heavy iron sat in the garage. Everyone always raves over the functionality as well as being entertaining to drive.

Terry
Old 12-19-2010 | 01:19 PM
The Third Ball

If you are going to look at the fit I would also look at the new ford fiesta and the mazda 2.

They are cool little hatches with a lot going for them.

That said, I really like the fit as well.
Old 12-19-2010 | 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
If you are going to look at the fit I would also look at the new ford fiesta and the mazda 2.

Which like i said the FIT beat in ALL tests so far. If people think the fit is a little slow, the mazda 2 only has 102hp or so. Fiesta is 120hp. But niether have the magic seat or the space like the fit. with seats folded down (front passenger seat folds foward flat too) you can carry an 8ft surfboard or as much cargo area as the crv. Those other 2 cars can not compare. Can you tell i sold honda/acuras...lol.
Old 12-19-2010 | 01:56 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

No power adders for me. I'm just not into modifying cars anymore. My G is fast enough, I didn't buy the Fit for speed.

With all the highway driving my wife does, she wants something with a hatch and 40mpg or more and a tad bigger then our Fit. Ahhhh Prius like David???
Old 12-19-2010 | 02:09 PM
Banned

np bro. was just answering your low on power question. btw edmunds.com did test of pruis/fit/civic hybrid. fit cam out on top dut to full loaded with navi 18000 they got 45mpg without paying another 5500 for civic or 7gs for same loadrd prius. over 5 years, the prius never makes up for the premium of owning a hybrid. The hybrid fit arrives 2012. auto or 6spd. hybrid/turbo. 150hp and upwards of 50mpg.
Old 12-19-2010 | 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
The Prius takes too log to pay for itself at current gas prices. With the amount of freeway driving I do, a fuel efficient gas car pays for itself.

In the meantime, the CTS-V is an awesomely, hilariously fun daily driver. What brought up the question about fuel efficiency is that for the last month, I've filled up the car every 4-5 days. That's insane! Then again, I'm doing an insane amount of driving for work this month.
Old 12-19-2010 | 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Why not just get a reliable beater for winter use only? You have the s2k as a warm weather daily and the CTS-V for fun or what not.
Old 12-19-2010 | 04:18 PM
fap fap fap

i love the fit. my cousin also has one. only thing i hate about it is the seats. they're way too firm for my tastes.
Old 12-19-2010 | 04:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I don't see any reason the S2K and CTS-V couldn't share DD duties Unless you plan on selling the S2000 soon (or ever), the extra mileage on it shouldn't be a problem, and it'll give a little variety to your drives, not to mention cut down on fuel economy. CTS-V could take over during the winter.

If you're looking for another DD primarily for fuel-economy and fun-to-drive reasons, why not get something like a well-cared for CRX or Prelude? I know finding one in good condition is akin to finding the last virgin in Vegas, but you probably wouldn't have to take out another loan for it. Unless fit and finish is a priority, I think it'd make for a cool addition to an already cool garage.

They don't have nearly as much space as the Fit, but isn't that why you have the Pilot?

Whatever you do, I envy your garage

P.S.: You really love your Hondas, don't you?
Old 12-19-2010 | 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Im throwing this thread into the "I want to save gas but really just need an excuse to buy a new car" bin.
Old 12-19-2010 | 06:59 PM
Unofficial Goat

10k buys a shit load of gas.
Old 12-19-2010 | 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the comment on the mileage. I've also heard about 40 mpg on the freeway in Fits.

Originally Posted by MR1
I love the Fit and have been trying to justify one since introduction.

Bob we are at different places in our lives but I think some things are similar. My toy is my 93 DelSol. It is driven about the same amount as your S2k. If I really wanted to have a cheap dd, all I have to do is step outside.

I am usually in the TL by myself. My wife drives our MDX unless I need the utility. I love the Fit but it just doesn't (Fit). I refuse to sell the DelSol even though I rarely drive it. I used the same logic last year when I almost purchased an S2k. YMMV of course.

Looking forward to seeing your new beater.
Now, now, I'm probably not going to actually do this. I'm just doing a little "what if" and enjoying idle chatter on the same. I feel the same way about the S2000 as you do about your del Sol--it's not going anywhere no matter what the wife says about it taking up space on HER side of the garage. Wife drives the Pilot unless I need the utility, just as with your MDX.

If u feel its low on power add intake, downpipe, and exhaust and most are at 140-145 bhp. The L15 has a turbo kit from Mugen too making 5psi i think yields 160bhp if im not mistaken.

The FIT with intake sound really good. The 2nd gen L15a has real vtec unlike 1st gen but I still dont hear the vtec x-over.
....must....stay....away....from.....modding.....u rrrrgh..... 160 bhp from an L15a is pretty darn good. However, using a Mugen turbo is probably cost-prohibitive for someone who wants to use it as a grocery-gitter. Oh, wait...I added 100 whp to a car already with too much power that I LIKE to use as a grocery-gitter.

Originally Posted by teranfon
Bob:
I don't have a Fit (or fits), but know a few people that do (the car). All enjoy them very much. Interestingly, most bought them as runabouts, but in time they actually used them year round as their primary drivers. The heavy iron sat in the garage. Everyone always raves over the functionality as well as being entertaining to drive.
Thanks for your comment, Terry. One of my favorite Fit features is the Magic Seat. Makes for a flat interior when one needs to carry stuff.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc

The Mazda 2 is just too small for me. The Fiesta is definitely an interesting small car contender.

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Why not just get a reliable beater for winter use only? You have the s2k as a warm weather daily and the CTS-V for fun or what not.
Thought about that. CTS-V with LSD and Stabilitrak + Pirelli Sottozeros=unstoppable force in the snow. I've got video of me in the V in a winter storm, at night, last week, driving 18 miles in to the hospital for an emergency. No slippage, no trouble, no muss, no fuss. The only thing I don't have in the V is ground clearance. If the snow is 6 inches or more, the front end becomes a snow plow. However, because of the torque, the car keeps on going. Have never gotten stuck in two winter seasons with the car, this one being the second.

Originally Posted by Infamous425
i love the fit. my cousin also has one. only thing i hate about it is the seats. they're way too firm for my tastes.
Thanks for your on-topic comment. The seats are OK for me.

Originally Posted by Aman
I don't see any reason the S2K and CTS-V couldn't share DD duties Unless you plan on selling the S2000 soon (or ever), the extra mileage on it shouldn't be a problem, and it'll give a little variety to your drives, not to mention cut down on fuel economy. CTS-V could take over during the winter.
That's the most likely plan as the S2000 is very fuel efficient. Not selling the S2000 (ever) or the V (anytime soon).

If you're looking for another DD primarily for fuel-economy and fun-to-drive reasons, why not get something like a well-cared for CRX or Prelude? I know finding one in good condition is akin to finding the last virgin in Vegas, but you probably wouldn't have to take out another loan for it. Unless fit and finish is a priority, I think it'd make for a cool addition to an already cool garage.
I looked for CRXs during the summer just for the hell of it. I couldn't find a one that hadn't been seriously molested. Not one. Prelude is not practical enough for my needs.

They don't have nearly as much space as the Fit, but isn't that why you have the Pilot?
Pilot is the Mommymobile. Mommy is very possessive with her car.

Whatever you do, I envy your garage
Thanks! I enjoy it, myself.

P.S.: You really love your Hondas, don't you?
Honda driver and owner for 20 years, and more recent stockholder. I am one of those who doesn't like Honda's or Acura's current design direction but am hopeful that they will turn it around. That's another thread, though.

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Im throwing this thread into the "I want to save gas but really just need an excuse to buy a new car" bin.
Nah. Just idle weekend chatter about cars, which are a huge personal passion in the real world. When it warms up, I will drive the S2000 more. I am ashamed that I only put 2k miles on it in 2010. The V is that good a daily driver.

Last edited by neuronbob; 12-19-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2010 | 07:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^^
The Prius takes too log to pay for itself at current gas prices. With the amount of freeway driving I do, a fuel efficient gas car pays for itself.

In the meantime, the CTS-V is an awesomely, hilariously fun daily driver. What brought up the question about fuel efficiency is that for the last month, I've filled up the car every 4-5 days. That's insane! Then again, I'm doing an insane amount of driving for work this month.
Have you considered a used Prius? That would be a reasonable winter beater, and the first of the hatchback ones (2004ish) shouldn't be terribly expensive at this point.
Old 12-19-2010 | 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Im all about the "what ifs" as you know.

I toyed with the idea and came up with wanting a jetta tdi wagon. Great highway mileage but with some power as well.

Prius would bore me to death. NO offense to those who have one.
Old 12-19-2010 | 09:24 PM
Pro

"what if" you got a fit...then came along a slightly used K20Z3, and "what if" a supercharger just see to lie around? ...I love supercharged K20's on fits on youtube.

Only if "what if"s happened frequency =)
Old 12-20-2010 | 12:02 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Isn't this how it started prior to the s2k....I mean CTS-V?
Old 12-20-2010 | 12:35 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

I have driven more Fits than any of you combined, that I can promise. They are a phenomenal little car and it is pretty much the only choice for my 'work' car once I get started with the railroads.

Bob...the 5-MT is so much peppier than the automatic which feels like it's got a ship anchor attached to the rear bumper. In fact, I've spun the wheels on the stick shift Fits without even trying. They really do move.
Old 12-20-2010 | 01:00 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I'm into this too...love the fit!
Have you checked out the CRZ?
Old 12-20-2010 | 01:59 AM
Intermediate

I actually really like the second gen Fit. Looks pretty solid.