All Ron Jon Wheel owners (past&present) Check In

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Small claims court may not be an option because this is an interstate crime, does he sue him in VA or NY? Either way someone loses before they began.

Crappy situation that I can see no fair outcome for both parties, someone is going to lose, someone is going to win I don't see a lot of room for middle ground.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Ron has always helped me out even when i thrashed a set of metallic satin servos, he offered me a new set chrome silver servos when the opportunity came by. I did wait maybe a few months after i wreck the rims due to a winter construction site that wasn't properly labeled, for the chance but he did give me a set that came available eventually.

The yellow spots look like some kind of staining then stripping though.
You should ask other people who have that generation wheel and if there was any stripping what so ever? I know my chrome finish are still intact after 3-4 years.

I even bent a ronjon completely that the soft metal facing broke off in between the spokes. I contact Ron and he offered to swing by yonkers, this weekend to meet me up to pick up a replacement.

nyc pot holes you can't win if you hit one so hard even the pillow mount of your aspec strut bends.

I've never seen any kind of flaking on my rims so maybe it really is only that set or batch I do recall early in 06 he had to recall alot of insypres or legends for some reason.

Nothing against you man but ron does deal with tough times too and bite the bullet on a lot of his rims. He has always be helpful and honest to me so I will still want to see what he says to this.

Last edited by lcrazyaznl; 10-01-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I had chrome wheels on my last car for three years (Concept Neeper N7's). They looked as good when I sold them as the day I bought them.

I currently have a set of Ron Jon Devotion 3pF's on my 3G TL, brushed aluminum face (clearcoated) with chrome lip. They've been on the car for almost three years. With the exception of a tiny nick/curb you can only see if you're a few inches from it, they look as good as the day I got them.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
no disrespect to ronjon - but as a buyer, thats the risk you take from purchasing wheels from a small start-up business. the engineering and casting processes that go into manufacturing wheels are no joke. if something goes wrong with the wheel it could be just as hazardous as your brakes failing. that said, i wouldnt buy brakes from a start-up company, just like i wouldnt buy wheels. theres a high safety risk here. OP, if you think the wheels werent quality, then be grateful that the only thing your were inconvenienced by was cosmetic chipping.

you did have possession of $2000 wheels for almost 3 years, some of which time they were chipping. taking this to court across state lines is not worth whatever you would potentially be rewarded. my advice: walk away.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 10-01-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm not going to even read this whole thing, the OP threatened me with emails that he would do this.

1.) Original invoice was dated from 03/07, I replaced the first set for free, I sent him some CL-S calipers with less than 12k on them FOR FREE, covered shipping even. NEVER had such an early model vehicle to test fit the wheels on, we stop at 2001. 99 accord has some ridiculously big calipers. So everything was taken care of. Lesson learned, excellent service as quoted by OP.

2.) the chrome was defective, and the chromer left us high and dry, but we did what we could to replace them with reflective silver (chrome look). He said he did not liek the finish, but I said thats all we have. he agreed, it's ok then. Keep in mind, this is the same finish Acura uses on their OEM chrome look wheels.

3.) OP became malicious with threats and rude emails from the get go, I refused to be threatened or provoked to make a decision based on this, so there goes good will out the door. One year warranty is technically over, with me and with the factory. Even if it was under warranty still, in order to make a claim there is a procedure to follow like everyone else, I'm not an idiot, some people (not all), will damage wheels to get what they want and make it seem defective. In this case, the wheels look like they have just been beaten on with cleaning products and have normal wear for any wheel that is on the road and exposed to small rock chips or weather. And this was the result. Not to say it was intentional, but thats why we require to have the wheels in our possession so we can send them to the factory so they can be re-tested and the same problem can be avoided in the future.

Final comment. Just look at his latest wheels, there is nothing significantly wrong with them, just a few microscopic rock chips, same as you would find on your car's hood after driving. I'm not going to replace the wheels after that. Those orange spots are from behind the spokes where people rarely clean or can even see when the wheels are mounted. that can be from neglect.

I have shown that I do honor warranty in some cases where it deserves it (first issue he had was taken care of at my expense). But I will not just roll over and do whatever the OP demands, especially if the warranty doesn't cover it or if OP has been very arrogant , demanding, and threatening.

This type of thing happens every 2 years, it's no big deal, out of the thousands of happy and satisfied customers, this is expected.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I think you are wrong for posting private emails at this point.

This is a private matter between you two, and if you are feeling so ripped off then you should be handling this in a legal matter.

If you want to post your experience feel free...but private conversations isnt cool.
His intent is the reason he will not get good will BESIDES the fact that there really is nothjign wrong with the latest set of Reflective Silver wheels. All those extremely close up shots are probably like any other wheels you would have on the car after some time of driving, it's just that he is looking for them and taking some really close up shots. microscopic chips will occur when driving, take a look at your hood and bumper, I can't warranty something like that. OP is just being critical, threatening, and malicious. Not the way i do business.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Do the lock dance!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a set of satin silver servos that are about 2 years old now. I have not had a problem yet.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 AM
CL9 ABP

Hey ron do you think some wheel cleaner products can destroy the finish?
I personally never used any because i was afraid of it.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
Yes, some can. You have to be careful to get the right stuff. pH balanced is good. Anything that you just leave on and then wash off without actually using a brush is probably not good.

I've used Four Star wheel cleaner for several years now with no problems.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
You have chrome plated wheels, yours are fine, actually, yours are the best chrome I've seen to date. As long as it is chrome plated safe on the label, it's ok. Honestly, soap and water is the best, and regular maintenance.

OP's first set of wheels were not chrome plated with us, but rather a 3rd party company called classic components. They dropped us, we walked away and ate the issue.

His current wheels are a chrome COATING, which is a little less expensive to produce and will not be as prone to peeling as chrome plating. however, the chipping is just as common on this wheel as it is on a painted wheel, so one may expect the finish to be as resistant to small chips or normal wear because it looks like plating, but is not. Thats why we call it Reflective Silver, not Chrome. And I correct / explain this to all customers who bring up the finish.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:01 AM
CL9 ABP

Ah I see.

Don't worry I spend time always scrubbing my wheels with soap and water, I spend a good 10 15 mins after soaping the car with a seprate brush for the wheels.
Salt here in buffalo is horrendous so I always take the extra time.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
ya, what's up with you avatar then OP?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
What a mess, I wish you the best OP. Looks like RonJon did all he could to help you out.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
S/Ced J36S 6spd Soon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods please dont lock this thread. Im currently at work and would like to make a couple replys tonight when i get off. Dont really have time to right now...... Thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by alexSU
What a mess, I wish you the best OP. Looks like RonJon did all he could to help you out.

Yes, it looks like you got very unlucky with the shitty chrome job, but RJ does have a business to run and looks like he did his best to honor the original warranty .
Old 10-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
OP

FAIL
Old 10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I've been a member for more than 4 years now. Ever since I joined AZ, I've always heard good things about Ron and his business.

I'm just saying.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I wonder why it would be locked. I believe the Forum is for things like this, so we can be informed one way or other....
Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
ya, what's up with you avatar then OP?
Was wondering the same thing, why are you advertising for RJ if you hate his practices so much, makes you look like a hypocrite in my book.

Originally Posted by alexSU
I've never heard of a vendor sending free calipers and parts to correct an issue such as this, that right there is a testament to everything I know about Ron, and his service. Plus Ron sent you a new set under warranty. I think that you attacking him out in the open and posting private email conversations greatly reduces your credability. I am sorry to hear as many others are that you had a bad experience, but sh*t happens. From the sounds of it, Ron got boned for way more money and time than you did if he had 100 sets of wheels that he got ripped on, and he still did all he could to help you out and sent you replacements. Plus, as he said, the spots on your rims look to be from neglect and lack of cleaning, not to mention, how long do you expect a 1 year warranty to last? How many sets of rims do you expect him to send you?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
did I read this right, OP said that the warranty went into effect the moment he paid for the wheels but he got them almost a year later?

I am at work so I have no time to read over everything again.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
ronjon provided great customer service.

end story.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I've owned RonJon wheels and never had trouble with them at all. Sounds like Ron did what he was supposed to here.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I've owned RonJon wheels and never had trouble with them at all. Sounds like Ron did what he was supposed to here.
I agree.

If I find any fault on ronjon's part its that he is basing the warranty period on the purchase date...which shouldn't be the case. The warranty period should start on the date the item is shipped/received by the purchaser.

Other than that, I'm on ronjon's side.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 PM
is in Honda heaven

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
ronjon provided great customer service.

end story.
yeah that's what it sounds like, place an order and then receive it a year later and then have your warranty start on something you dont even have yet and then replace a shitty product with another shitty product. Even though most people havent had any issues that doesnt mean that it can't ever happen. I personally dont see the $2K value for something that's not even chrome and just a "chrome look".

Last edited by Derk's K24; 10-01-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by myron
did I read this right, OP said that the warranty went into effect the moment he paid for the wheels but he got them almost a year later?

I am at work so I have no time to read over everything again.
He ordered the wheels, and wanted them custom chrome plated, something we didn't offer from our stock at the time. Took about a year for both the Legend Type II to debut, and for the chrome plating to be performed. We did the plating here in the states.

Even tho he ordered the wheels over 2.8 years ago, and didn't have the wheels the whole time, he did have them for longer than the one year warranty.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
^^^^ so he's had these new wheels for over a year? When I replace a product or get a product replaced the warranty starts over or I offer a new warranty for a shorter period of time.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:31 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,095 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I've never heard of a vendor sending free calipers and parts to correct an issue such as this, that right there is a testament to everything I know about Ron, and his service. Plus Ron sent you a new set under warranty. I think that you attacking him out in the open and posting private email conversations greatly reduces your credability. I am sorry to hear as many others are that you had a bad experience, but sh*t happens. From the sounds of it, Ron got boned for way more money and time than you did if he had 100 sets of wheels that he got ripped on, and he still did all he could to help you out and sent you replacements. Plus, as he said, the spots on your rims look to be from neglect and lack of cleaning, not to mention, how long do you expect a 1 year warranty to last? How many sets of rims do you expect him to send you?
My last set of wheels I bought were mounted with tires from the place I bought them from (online wheel vendor). I put them on and right away I knew they were out of balance when I felt the shake in my steering wheel at 60mph. I called the company back after my test drive and after being transfered a few times I was left with a voice mail. Went through that three times before I realized they weren't calling me back and weren't going to pay for the $80 rebalance I had to get at Discount Tire. This dude gets free calipers? Sheesh.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by L's TL
^^^^ so he's had these new wheels for over a year? When I replace a product or get a product replaced the warranty starts over or I offer a new warranty for a shorter period of time.
Our policy states that a warranty applies from the original purchase, not the replacment receipt.

Besides, the real argument here is that the wheels as of yet are not apparently defective. If they were received for inspection, I could make a better determination, but since the warranty period is up, and since he is threatening, this option doesn't apply.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
If I find any fault on ronjon's part its that he is basing the warranty period on the purchase date...which shouldn't be the case. The warranty period should start on the date the item is shipped/received by the purchaser.
yes that's what I wanna know? Was that the case?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by rondog
Even tho he ordered the wheels over 2.8 years ago, and didn't have the wheels the whole time, he did have them for longer than the one year warranty.
Key sentence right there.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 PM
is in Honda heaven

Our policy states that a warranty applies from the original purchase, not the replacment receipt.

Besides, the real argument here is that the wheels as of yet are not apparently defective. If they were received for inspection, I could make a better determination, but since the warranty period is up, and since he is threatening, this option doesn't apply.

Well damn, if that's the policy that is stated somewhere then I see your point fully and he's SOL. I would still be pissed about the flaking though for $2K but you gotta pay to play.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by myron
yes that's what I wanna know? Was that the case?
Read a couple posts up...does not sound like it.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Derk's K24
Well damn, if that's the policy that is stated somewhere then I see your point fully and he's SOL. I would still be pissed about the flaking though for $2K but you gotta pay to play.

The flaking was taken care of. He received new wheels for that issue.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, well I guess since that's your policy he out of luck. I personally wouldn't be too happy about it either but thats what the policy states.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea the chrome flaking was taken care of the flaking/chipping on the new wheels (polished silver finish) was not.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
is in Honda heaven

Oh ok I thought the new set had chipped AND flaked as well.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
If what the OP says is true, and the second set is of poor finish quality, then they should be replaced free of charge.
Edit: No warranty on the replacement?!?!? wow.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:40 PM
SOLOCG

I've seen his wheels in person and they have such a shitty finish it's not funny. I see you've had people upset and you've had to replace many wheels but that's no excuse on your losses and for the quality, you should maybe make a better effort then telling him about the company who did not do well for you on the finish it was crappy and that the 1 year was done and that he's on his own. I see you've tried to help him no doubt in the past but the 2nd set did not deliver also and I would be upset also so hopefully you can do something to make this customer and many more happy.

Last edited by telele; 10-01-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Other than that, I'm on ronjon's side.
Sarlacc i wonder what will u feel if this thing happend to you?

Same situation, if my car broke down due to faulty parts and Acura covers it with their warranty i will still be offset... sometimes its not only the money but the time u need to spend just to make a call and wait for your car to be fixed is a big hassle specially if you have a job...

Quick Reply: All Ron Jon Wheel owners (past&present) Check In