1962 Imperial LeBaron Southhampton

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:28 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
1962 Imperial LeBaron Southhampton

I've posted about inside one or two other threads, and some had suggested I make a stand alone thread with updates. I had thought about it for some time but never really mustered the incentive to make one.

To preface this, for those who hadn't read, this car belonged to my late father-in-law whom we lost last May to pancreatic cancer. He was a mechanic and he had taken this car as payment from a customer. He loved this car...he was a car guy in general (given) but as an immigrant who had to put his life in danger feeling from Iran, he always loved big American cars, especially from the 50-60s. Once he and his family settled here in LA, he managed to open his shop. And its been here for the last 30 years. Perfect Yelp ratings. Same two employees for nearly the same amount of time as its been open. And a community, as we learned after his passing, that loved him and how much he took care of them, and went out of his way to do so.

So, about 4 years ago he took this car as payment from a long time customers who has several old cars. He was set to pick up a different car, I'm not sure what, but when he saw this one he took that instead. I remember taking the kids to go see it because he was really excited. And so this car pretty much sat at his shop for the next 4 years out in the elements, being tinkered on when he free time which wasn't much. He did the brakes, and then he putzed with other stuff never really completing anything, just a toy.

So, when he passed I said the only thing I wanted, if feasible, was that car. So, for now I have it...but its always possible I might sell it to give my MIL the money should she need it. She doesn't right now, but I go back and forth.

Anyway, I'm making this thread and going into depth about the shop because tomorrow, 9 months after his passing, the shop will have it's last day under my MIL's ownership. It's been a long time coming, and its needed to happen much to sadness of the surrounding community. And because of that, I have found reason enough to take the time to write this and post about the car.

It's a pretty rare car. The Lebaron was the top trim level for the Imperial, only 1400 were made in 1962. Cars also changed bodies much more frequently back then. So, its the only year with the gun sight lights as the 1963 model lost them in favor of integrated more vanilla looking tail lights. Despite the rarity these vehicles do not have the popularity of similar year Cadillacs and Lincolns. One reason being the scarcity of parts. Further research shows that Chrysler went all out when the Imperial became its own marque. Very little to no parts are shared with its other lines. Everything was made uniquely for the Imperial and was made much more beefed up.

Fun Fact...Imperials are banned from Demolition Derbies...they are that strong.

Personally, I fell in love with the unique design of this car. I was scared shitless to drive it. But finally mustered up the courage to bring it home...and even in its current aesthetic condition...I loved it. Its a massive land yacht with tiny mirrors that are hard to see...and this thing, even in needing work, just soaked up the road and drove like a cloud. But once I got it home I noticed the rear differential was leaking, as was fuel from some where near the middle of the car. That on top of all the other factors of thinking of restoring a vehicle like this alone, including taking care of the rust areas (all standard for that car) I was deflated and decided I should get rid of it. I spoke with a friend of a friend who used to collect and restore similar year Chrysler New Yorkers. I had a long chat with him, and he thought I should sell it as well, but he gave me the name of his trusted mechanic who specialized in classic cars.

So, I call the mechanic who told me he look over the whole thing for a simple $150. So, I had loaded on to a flat bed and towed to him. He is extremely popular and busy, so I knew it would be sometime. 3 months later I finally got a call. The car needed a lot of work just to get it drivable, and could be a Pandora's box of more. A minimum of $2500...Well, that sucked to hear but boom, time to sell. I contacted a friend from my old Challenger club who was interested. But he wanted to see the car and we needed to find the time. So, I called the mechanic to ask if I could the car at his place for a couple weeks to try and sell it as is. He said, "Sure but I have to apologize."

WHAT?

Turns out the car he was looking at when he called me was a different model Dodge from around the same year. He said the Imperial was solid. Needed some minor work, a tune up, and tires. I should be able to drive it home for about $1400....So, I gave him the OK to start the work.

That was early/mid December. I haven't heard from him since, but it will take him awhile to get parts and get the work done...Hell, it took 3 months to get it looked at.

So, I'm waiting to get it back. I still don't know if I will keep it long term. Space and money being limited at this time, it just might not be in the cards. But I will try and keep it long enough to to drive it a few times and se tup photography sessions with it. Then, I might finally relent and sell.

So, that the story of the Imperial and my current time as its care-taker.

Here is what you all came here for, the photos, the first being my Father in Law with the car the day he picked it up. Followed by 4 years later when I went to get it, and then its journey to the mechanic. Ooh and a fun shot when it was in my garage...you can how freaking long it is, its longer than my Durango.

Enjoy:

The following 16 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
00TL-P3.2 (01-15-2018), 1killercls (01-26-2018), CCColtsicehockey (03-20-2018), Hockeyman (01-16-2018), JT4 (01-12-2018), juniorbean (01-12-2018), Ken1997TL (07-08-2018), knight rider (01-11-2018), losiglow (03-20-2018), mrmako (01-11-2018), PortlandRL (07-09-2018), rockstar143 (01-21-2018), Stapler (01-11-2018), ttribe (01-15-2018), TylerT (01-12-2018), Yumcha (01-11-2018) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Wow...

Thanks for sharing, Sarlacc, and thanks for the pics. I'd multi-Thank you but, well, can't.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
I don't know much about classic cars of that era but I watch a lot of car shows on TV My initial thought is to try sell it, as-is, to so place like Gas Money Garage (not them specifically, but something similar). I can imagine that there has GOT to be someone that would gladly pay you good money for that car to do a rotisserie restore on it. Have you thought about the type of person you might sell it to? For instance, would you sell it to get a few dollars out of it to give to your MIL or try to find it a good home?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 133 Posts
I love every part of that car. The headlights and tail lights are their own separate art pieces, and the interior is just crazy cool. I often wonder if a designer from the late 70's looked back on that and thought it was gaudy, or wished they had the budget to come close to something as cool.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by knight rider
I don't know much about classic cars of that era but I watch a lot of car shows on TV My initial thought is to try sell it, as-is, to so place like Gas Money Garage (not them specifically, but something similar). I can imagine that there has GOT to be someone that would gladly pay you good money for that car to do a rotisserie restore on it. Have you thought about the type of person you might sell it to? For instance, would you sell it to get a few dollars out of it to give to your MIL or try to find it a good home?
Before I authorized the work to be done, it is/was worth about $2500-4000 depending on what you could find someone to pay for it. I had it listed for awhile and I high balled it just to gauge interest. You know who wants these cars? Australians and Swedes, and they want them running in tip top condition.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:53 PM
The Third Ball

And the more desirable models are the convertibles.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
That first picture is pretty gangster. Looks like he's about to go do "a job".

Is that a push button transmission I see just to the right of the steering wheel?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by mrmako
That first picture is pretty gangster. Looks like he's about to go do "a job".

Is that a push button transmission I see just to the right of the steering wheel?
You are correct, its a push button transmission. There is no "Park", you have to remember to put the parking brake on or you're screwed
The following users liked this post:
CCColtsicehockey (03-20-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Swedish!? Never knew.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
That car
Old 01-12-2018, 11:04 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I remember reading the original thread a while back and am still in aw in regards to the size of it, it's a monster..... I'm sure today will be a real tough day for your MIL and family as well as the shop passes hands.. But I'm sure a good day is just around the corner, the day you show her the car when it's up and running. I bet once you get it running your MIL won't want you to ever sell it...

Best of luck..
Old 01-12-2018, 11:15 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by JT4
I remember reading the original thread a while back and am still in aw in regards to the size of it, it's a monster..... I'm sure today will be a real tough day for your MIL and family as well as the shop passes hands.. But I'm sure a good day is just around the corner, the day you show her the car when it's up and running. I bet once you get it running your MIL won't want you to ever sell it...

Best of luck..
Thanks. The shop needs to go. It needed to go before my FIL passed but was just never dealt with and then he went downhill and passed sooner than anyone expected, and my MIL was stuck with it. Its been burden and, sadly, needs to go.

As for her, she has always told me "if I want to keep the car, keep it" but she isn't one to get sentimental over things, especially a car. My wife is the one who takes more issue with keeping it. And her concerns are valid, I have them myself.
JT4 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Swedish!? Never knew.
I drove to Sweden twice while living in Europe. They absolutely love old American cars. Muscle cars, even more. It wasn't uncommon to see some old Impala's or 70's Coronets driving around there.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM
The Third Ball

Mechanic just called to tell me the car was finished. Way sooner than I was expecting or hoping.

I aksed if if I could drive it home or if flat bedding would be better and he said flat bedding would be better because it sat so but I could drive it.

The only snnoying thing is that for such a reputable shop with a rep for being straight shooters I feel like I can never get straight answers.

Either way. I’m probably going to get it Sat.

I think ink I’ll try and take a couple small rides and doing some photography and then, sadly, list it for sale.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Mechanic just called to tell me the car was finished. Way sooner than I was expecting or hoping.

I aksed if if I could drive it home or if flat bedding would be better and he said flat bedding would be better because it sat so but I could drive it.

The only snnoying thing is that for such a reputable shop with a rep for being straight shooters I feel like I can never get straight answers.

Either way. I’m probably going to get it Sat.

I think ink I’ll try and take a couple small rides and doing some photography and then, sadly, list it for sale.
You know...Barrett-Jackson just started over here. Maybe flat-bed it on over, call it a barn-find and sell that puppy on the auction block!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM
The Third Ball

I don’t think they’ve gone for much at auctions

ill have to do some research.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:27 PM
The Third Ball

Went to pick it up this afternoon. The place is NOT close and they aren’t open on Sat. So, I paid ahead of time, arranged for a alchemical to come and let me get my car, and bobs your uncle. Dude was almost 30 minutes late and then the car wouldn’t start. The guy said it started up great yesterday. It wasn’t the battery. Probably the starter. Anyway I left and we’ll see come Monday.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Ugh, that sucks. At least they should get it running. Hope they don't try to charge you for something else.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:32 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by mrmako
Ugh, that sucks. At least they should get it running. Hope they don't try to charge you for something else.
If its the starter, or something else, I'm guessing they will. Annoying but I guess that's part and parcel of owning an old car.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:37 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
you sure they were talking about the right car when they called you to say to come pick it up?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM
The Third Ball

After 6 months and false start with a starter the went bad I finally picked up the car and drove it home. I avoided freeways and gave myself plenty of braking distance...and she did just fine. I got it home, and after a bit when back down to take the car to my MIL's house to store it. Got in the garage and saw a leak...well shit I thought they fix everything...well they did...this time the power steering went. Doh.

I drove it over just fine...not as fun muscling it. I was hoping to take it some cool locations and do some photos of it and then sell it...but I dont think its safe to drive much more without a trip back to the mechanic and Im done sinking money into it. So, I'm looking to sell it. Hopefully recover the little bit I put into it and be able to give my MIL a little something.
JT4 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
These are always neat stories. That is what i call a land yacht. Sometimes you get stuck between a rock and a hard place with these decisions. On one hand you would like to keep it for history sake, but the reality is as you are experiencing, the cost of repairing it or storing it is a hassle or too great.

I think just getting to drive it is pretty cool. Not many have ever been able to say that.

Last edited by dallison; 03-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by dallison
These are always neat stories. That is what i call a land yacht. Sometimes you get stuck between a rock and a hard place with these decisions. On one hand you would like to keep it for history sake, but the reality is as you are experiencing, the cost of repairing it or storing it is a hassle or too great.

I think just getting to drive it is pretty cool. Not many have ever been able to say that.
Yup. It was great to just drive it. I'm sad I wont get to take the photos I had been planning on for the past couple months. But thats the way it is and I'm over it, time to move on.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Sorry to hear the end result Sarlacc. I was hoping it would run long enough for you to get a couple cool photoshoots out of it.

Maybe a new power steering pump would let you get that out of the way and maybe it wouldn't. Azine pitch in for a power steering pump? I will throw in $20.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:09 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Sorry to hear the end result Sarlacc. I was hoping it would run long enough for you to get a couple cool photoshoots out of it.

Maybe a new power steering pump would let you get that out of the way and maybe it wouldn't. Azine pitch in for a power steering pump? I will throw in $20.
Ha, appreciate it. But in the end I just don't think its worth it. Might be different if I had plenty of space to store it, and lots of disposable income to throw at it. But to tow it back up there, pay to fix the power steering, and then wait how ever many months that wlll take only to gamble that something else wont take a dump...no, I'm done.

Its nothing to feel sorry about. I knew what I was risking when I decided to take the car. The risk didn't pan out. Time to let it go.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Since it's not pressing and the sale of it probably won't make or break you financially...
maybe one last fun project to fix the ps pump with the boys? Daddy Sons project style, take your pics (maybe with them in it) and then send it on it's way?

I just feel like sometimes our feelings are fleeting...ones of happiness or sadness or despair. I'd stick with the original reason you decided to fix it up to begin with...tip top shape to sell to some Swede...

Just thinking out loud...
Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I remember this project, was hoping to see it come to fruition. Bummer, but sometimes you just have to move on.

My immigrant father always talked about how solid and well built the big American cars were back in his day (my uncle had a Cadillac convertible). I wish I had enough financial stability to put him in a newer Caddy before he passed.

Anyway, what rockstar is suggesting is a good idea. If not with this car, maybe on another vehicle in the future. Would be nice to teach them mechanical know-how and responsibility.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:19 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Since it's not pressing and the sale of it probably won't make or break you financially...
maybe one last fun project to fix the ps pump with the boys? Daddy Sons project style, take your pics (maybe with them in it) and then send it on it's way?

I just feel like sometimes our feelings are fleeting...ones of happiness or sadness or despair. I'd stick with the original reason you decided to fix it up to begin with...tip top shape to sell to some Swede...

Just thinking out loud...
If I knew how to do it myself, I might consider...but Ive never been much of a wrencher...small things yeah. This seems bigger.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Costco
I remember this project, was hoping to see it come to fruition. Bummer, but sometimes you just have to move on.

My immigrant father always talked about how solid and well built the big American cars were back in his day (my uncle had a Cadillac convertible). I wish I had enough financial stability to put him in a newer Caddy before he passed.

Anyway, what rockstar is suggesting is a good idea. If not with this car, maybe on another vehicle in the future. Would be nice to teach them mechanical know-how and responsibility.
This thing is very solid. By all reviews and research...much more solid than any cadillac or lincoln made during the same time period. But its still a 56 year old car that was long neglected. I'm amazed how easily the engine turns over...how the suspension still glides. The original interior, while falling apart, looks no different than something left to rot in the early 90s. Pretty good testament.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
They don't make em like they used to.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

After 6 months and false start with a starter the went bad I finally picked up the car and drove it home. I avoided freeways and gave myself plenty of braking distance...and she did just fine. I got it home, and after a bit when back down to take the car to my MIL's house to store it. Got in the garage and saw a leak...well shit I thought they fix everything...well they did...this time the power steering went. Doh.

I drove it over just fine...not as fun muscling it. I was hoping to take it some cool locations and do some photos of it and then sell it...but I dont think its safe to drive much more without a trip back to the mechanic and Im done sinking money into it. So, I'm looking to sell it. Hopefully recover the little bit I put into it and be able to give my MIL a little something.
Even though it will probably hurt a little once you sell it, at least you were able to drive it and experience what it feels like before it goes.

Good luck with the sale..
Old 07-07-2018, 06:56 PM
The Third Ball

Looks like I finally found a serious buyer. Got a deposit for it and he is coming from AZ on wed to pay me the rest and make sure the transport company shows up. Guess he is picking another car in the area, too.

Will be be glad yet sad to finally see it go. Out of sight out of mind.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks like I finally found a serious buyer. Got a deposit for it and he is coming from AZ on wed to pay me the rest and make sure the transport company shows up. Guess he is picking another car in the area, too.

Will be be glad yet sad to finally see it go. Out of sight out of mind.
That's good news. Good luck on the sale.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:05 AM

Is it a collector? or some custom shop?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
Really neat car. I used to build MOPARS. The Imperial was the top of the line in the Chrysler product line. They were more innovative in some aspects than the Caddys and Lincolns. The followers/collectors of these cars are a very small niche group. Which means after market parts for the cars are rare to non-existent. Body and interior reproduction parts, jeez, where to start? The car has the 413 cubic inch engine. They're still racing those things. The 413 begat the 426 wedge that begat the 426 Hemi. Parts for the engine are out there, but expensive.

Rebuilding one of those thing? It's got to be a labor of love, because there's little to no money to be made on them. Rare optioned, pristine models can be pricey, they end up in places like Jay Leno's garage.

Here's a 1965 Satellite I sold to a guy in the Netherlands, MOPAR Nationals - Germany, go to the 2:52 mark.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:22 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Is it a collector? or some custom shop?
Originally Posted by mrrobato
Really neat car. I used to build MOPARS. The Imperial was the top of the line in the Chrysler product line. They were more innovative in some aspects than the Caddys and Lincolns. The followers/collectors of these cars are a very small niche group. Which means after market parts for the cars are rare to non-existent. Body and interior reproduction parts, jeez, where to start? The car has the 413 cubic inch engine. They're still racing those things. The 413 begat the 426 wedge that begat the 426 Hemi. Parts for the engine are out there, but expensive.

Rebuilding one of those thing? It's got to be a labor of love, because there's little to no money to be made on them. Rare optioned, pristine models can be pricey, they end up in places like Jay Leno's garage.

Here's a 1965 Satellite I sold to a guy in the Netherlands, MOPAR Nationals - Germany, go to the 2:52 mark.
Rockstar, a collector of sorts.

Robato, ,very cool.

Yeah, I know all about this car. I have the history/build sheet from FCA historical. Done lots of research. Especially when I thought I was keeping it.

The guy buying it is a collectors/appreciator. He wants to restore the car and actually drive it. He has mainly been into Caddys and Thunderbirds. He mentioned he has a 56 Tbird in paint, and while he is here picking up my car he is also picking up a 57 Tbird.

I asked him if he would keep me updated as he brings the car back.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 07-08-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Advanced

My favorite Imperial is the 1966,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Imperial-Cr...1a8RrH&vxp=mtr

First year of the 440. Ive got a 440 in my Fury, bought it from a guy in the middle of no-where Kansas in a snow storm. Picked it up in my Honda Minivan. It's got a 1965 cast date, and it came out of one of Chryslers Full Size (C Body) cars. I think I paid $375 and got a bunch of other stuff, heads, rods, stuff like that.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:48 PM
The Third Ball

Yeah everyone loves the 66 because of Green Hornet. Of which I worked on the really bad movie several years ago...which afforded my first mopar...a 2010 Challenger RT.

Love the Fury. My dream would be to one day own a 68/69 Coronet RT....Pipe Dream and sadly after my experience with this classic...which while I LOVE everything about it, is a very sentimental car...I think I'm done with classics...unless I win the lottery.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Advanced

...I think I'm done with classics...unless I win the lottery.
Me too!

If I had it to do all over again, the smart move would have been a 1961 bubble top Impala with the biggest GM crate motor. Tons of GM stuff out there. If I was going to do a MOPAR, 1963 Polara, hands down.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=6&ajaxhist=0
Old 07-09-2018, 02:26 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Good luck with the sale, it will be weird for you when the buyer sends you pics of it as it goes through the restoration process...But at least you know it will be brought back to life, which is a good thing...

Quick Reply: 1962 Imperial LeBaron Southhampton