'04 G35 vs. '04 330i

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meh.

all this bickering still doesn't change the fact that we have a slew of very nice cars in this price range. 330, g35, tl, maxima.

thank GOD we finally have power back in our sedans and may the horsepower race continue.
:worship:
Old 05-10-2004, 06:49 PM
holla!

by 3rd member i think ur talkin about the rear end, the part that converts the power from the drive shaft to the axle, honestly ive been told by many people that fwd drive is extremely complicated compared to rwd, and complicated = cost in my mind.

but i dont know myself
Old 05-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

well if one wants to rationalize FWD vs. RWD just think about it.

think differential. Think about power to the same wheels that are steering and the rotation difference (outside wheel, inside wheel).

Then think about straigt drive shaft to rear wheel diff. Pretty simple.

So FWD "should" be inherently more complex.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Advanced

EZZ,On the performance of the G35 and the SRT4 I got it from motor trend,So as far fastest for one and slowest for the other..NO,I have seen quicker times for the SRT4 than what motor trend had.I have driven all 3 and if all I wanted was cheap performance I would not have even looked at the TL or G35.You know whats funny about RWD vrs. FWD..it does not matter to me one way or another,I dont race my car or have any plans TO race my car.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spidey07

think differential. Think about power to the same wheels that are steering and the rotation difference (outside wheel, inside wheel).

Exactly.

Some are not interested in discussing these issues on a rational level, but are instead continuing the same old thread they have been stuck on for months. :argue:

On the current subject, rather far afield from 330i vs. G35 (give me a used M3 over either):

There are very good FWD race cars and drag cars for that matter. I prefer RWD or AWD myself, but you can't dismiss the FWD race cars so easily. The TL, G35 and 330 are neither race cars or a drag cars.

We are talking about sedans, most of them rather heavy and far from the sports cars that some of us seem to need to pretend they are. That does not mean you cannot appreciate the balance and RWD attributes of a 330 or G35, but it does mean you should avoid making confrontational statements about their overall merits.

The choice of one over the other is subjective. If you give me a specific category I can tell you which is superior, but which one is superior overall is not something I can answer for you, but only for me.

And right now, for its purpose as my daily driver, the TL kicked the crap out of the other two; they didn't even make the list. If I wanted (read lived in a climate that made it more enjoyable) another RWD car, it would have been an M3 or 540 before a TL, G35 or 330.

That is me. YMMV.

And that is the straight 411, bitches! (POST #)
Old 05-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Advanced

brahtw8,Very well put..
Old 05-10-2004, 07:55 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Yes, very well said. Agree completely.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

yep, we're talking sedans here. NOT sports cars. I mean come on...if a 350z could hold some groceries I'd be all over it...in fact I'm seriously considering getting one as a second car.

But again, thank goodness our sedans happen to perform well nowadays and we can have room, luxury, a great stereo and a little bit of comfort...and flat gettin' it performance to boot.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:23 PM
You touch my tra la la...

To be honest I was considering a 350z and I really loved it (wanted a roadster) but I need a sedan for driving friends around, driving stuff around, and because RWD doesn't cut it in NY, even with snowtires I hear. The TL, for me, was superior than everything else.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcat
EZZ,On the performance of the G35 and the SRT4 I got it from motor trend,So as far fastest for one and slowest for the other..NO,I have seen quicker times for the SRT4 than what motor trend had.I have driven all 3 and if all I wanted was cheap performance I would not have even looked at the TL or G35.You know whats funny about RWD vrs. FWD..it does not matter to me one way or another,I dont race my car or have any plans TO race my car.
Okay, I'll solve this one for ya'll. I have a G35 sedan, automatic. A close friend of mine just bought an 04 SRT-4. We raced three times from a dead stop. When we both got good launches, I was able to pull him, or stay about even up to about 45mph (approx). Then he'd go by me and pull away pretty easily. A six speed G is a little faster, but not enough to make it an even race. My friend was pretty impressed with my G35 after that, though.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GaleForce
RWD doesn't cut it in NY, even with snowtires I hear.
It depends what you are comfortable with. If I was in a 1 car situation, it would be RWD.

Good snow tires on a RWD car and a proper understanding of how to drive a RWD car at speed or in a low traction situation (fundamentally the same thing) will get you through just about any condition. I drove my 325i for 3 Wisconsin winters with no problems.

That said, my TL is simply amazing in the snow with snow tires. It gives me confidence far beyond what I had in my 325i, which just means I go that much faster. I could see myself going back to exclusively RWD cars in the future, but I would like to have at least one FWD or AWD vehicle if space and $ permit.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:46 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

FWD has more expensive part such as the transaxle. A FWD technically doesn't have an automatic transmission but a transaxle (where the differential is hooked directly with the transmission). Transaxles are very expensive to develop and due to the miniaturization with everything in the front, are usually more fragile. A RWD transmission is usually much sturdier in design because they don't have to worry about cramming everything in the front.

A RWD platform these days is more expensive because the cars that are RWD are developed so that there is a near 50:50 ratio. Usually these RWD cars are luxury or performance cars and a ton of R&D goes into their chassis refinement. A FWD platform doesn't have to tune as much because their intent isn't to achieve this optimum balance. I read this commentary by a GM exec on an article but I forgot the publication.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Excellent stuff. I like the turn this thread has taken.

As usual, the answer is not so simple. In theory, FWD appears to be inherently more complex than RWD. In practice, most of today's sophisticated platforms are RWD (and/or AWD). :goldfish:
Old 05-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Racer

Honestly though, i really like the TL. I was gonna get it before i decided to get the G35 coupe. The exterior styling is awesome and it was a huge improvement from the last gen TL. I was also considering the 330ci. Since the 3 series is going to be redesigned in a year or so, i didnt feel like i should get the 330ci. It would look dated once the new 3 series came out. I chose the G35 because it was just the car for me. I didnt really want to have another 4 door and i wanted to try a different car company. So far, i havent regretted switching to infiniti whatsoever. I just get defensive when people bash on the g35 and say the interior is cheap when it really isnt if you sit down inside and examine it thoroughly.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Shift_faster

Awesome. I feel like I learned something w/ the FWD & RWD Debate. Thanks guys. Its a step above discussing "member length" and "3rd members". :think:
Old 05-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Andrenaline Junkie

Originally Posted by SilverBulletCLS
No, actually makes me even happier I made the right decision. My car isn't falling apart like the TL's. Thread started out not even mentioning the TL? LOL ummmmm I do recall it being mentioned before I did. My Magazine racer comparsions? Look at all your posts with magazine times!!! So don't even go there. Like I said, the G35 has been faster in every damn test.

No like others have poste don this forum, seems alot of you guys are very childish and blinded by the TL badge.
I have never quoted a magazine 0-60 time for the TL or G35. Search this forum and prove me wrong, Lord of the Fl....Lies.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Andrenaline Junkie

Then LETS NOT BAD MOUTH THE TL SHALL WE in posts with MIS-INFORMATION? Or we wouldn't have this problem. IF you guys didn't give a crap, it would have not be mentioned. lol

Remember, I AM NOT A FUCKING TROLL. I have been here MUCH LONGER THAN YOU, I even KNOW THE OWNERS OF THIS SITE PERSONALLY AND CL.COM
I am so impressed!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:57 AM
Andrenaline Junkie

Originally Posted by mspence3
troll

v.,n. 1. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To
utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable
responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase
"trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream
"trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a
likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post
that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look
even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to
the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate
troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See
also YHBT. 2. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1;
regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a
newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to
annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by
the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic
at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly
creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming
characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of
life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a
troll." 3.

The above is just one definition of "troll". I believe it aptly describes your behavior in this thread at times. The fact that you make statements like "Interior Falling apart" when you know it's not true for most owners, is all the evidence needed.

Your tenure on this forum is not germain to the debate as to whether or not you troll.
Uh oh. All this time I was pointing the finger at SilverBS but I think I might be a troll. I guess the first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem. It's just that everytime Silver BS shows up I act like I hate the G35 way more than I do because he is such a dooshbag. Does this mean I'm a troll? Is there someplace for people like me to get help?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 AM

yep, we're talking sedans here. NOT sports cars. I mean come on...if a 350z could hold some groceries I'd be all over it...in fact I'm seriously considering getting one as a second car.

But again, thank goodness our sedans happen to perform well nowadays and we can have room, luxury, a great stereo and a little bit of comfort...and flat gettin' it performance to boot.
The G35 is built off the 350Z platform, FM based. That is why the car handles so great. The G35c has been called the 350Z 2+2. The G35 is the 350Z that holds groceries. They are sports cars with the manual. I am surprised you did not pick up a G.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:05 AM
Andrenaline Junkie

2) Member length has alot to do with being a troll. In the history of car clubs it does.
What does the size of your penis have to do with being a troll? Do people in car clubs regularly compare the length of the members?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Swat Dude
What does the size of your penis have to do with being a troll? Do people in car clubs regularly compare the length of the members?
LMAO!!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Swat Dude
Ummm dunno what your talking about kid. Maybe one of these days you will grow up. How's your moms car doing? lol