***UniChip GroupBuy***

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
***UniChip GroupBuy***

-Looks like the other original post was deleted-

*** Official Uni-Chip Group Buy ***
Okay guys, this is it. Now that we got the result of from the E-Manage for the NA cars, we can get this ball rolling again for the Uni-Chip Group Buy.

Can the MODS make this a sticky?

===============================

Before you consider this mod, here are some of the info that have been already discussed on this forum.

Email from UniChip

Original Dyno with some Driving impressions

Official UniChip Dyno Chart Thank you scalber for this one.

E-Manage for NA result

================================

Here's the latest Email Jack from UniChip sent me. (2/09/04)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian,
Thanks for the e-mail; I certainly understand the delays but getting there in the end is all that matters.

We're certainly interested in the NOS car... as we discussed, we can directly control the NOS through the Unichip and provide an integrated NOS/fuel/timing solution which works very nicely.

We also won't have any issues with the 3.5L conversion... we can optimize any parts which mechanically fit on the engine. I doubt the kit hardware will change at all with the larger displacement, but the maps certainly will and if guys want to buy pre-programmed kits we'll obviously have to see one of the cars.

Yes, the deposit is still $100 which is fully refundable should we fail to provide a functional kit.

We have submitted the prototype build sheet to our manufacturing guys and are awaiting their estimate. Please let me know if I can provide any additional answers about the CL project.

I also need to see your S2000 if at all possible. I know you wanted to wait until the aftercooler was installed, but I'd like to see it either way as quickly as possible to ensure our harness configuration for the car is correct. Let me know.

Cheers,
Jack

Jack Friedman, General Manager
Unichip of North America
www.unichip.us
Toll Free 866.643.7400; 503.640.7465

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mattg, and TypeR, take out your calanders, lets put you guys in touch with them for a tuning session.

So here is the deal. I'm not trying to twist anyone's arms to get this, but I will take the responsibility to collect and give the money to uni-chip when we have 20 people for the group buy.

contact me via email.. my box here get full really fast. I created an address just for this.

gt_guy123@yahoo.com

Since most of you don't know me, excpet for a few WestCoast guys, I completely understand not wanting to send money to a stranger. Therefore, I think if you send me a bank issued check made out to "UniChip" would be the best bet. Or we can make other arrangements if needed.

As for the 6 speed people, I think cls6sp03 was going to do something with UniChip, but I don't know where we are with it. So if we can get a 6 speed here, they will get a chip for yours also.

Again, please post here if you are serious buyer, and also let your TL buddies know about it, so we can make this group buy a success.

If we get 30 people the price could go as low as $650..
Old 02-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Here's the thread from ACL please sign up there:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

Updated List :

IN

1. Jonesi
2. Typer
3. Nitin
4. ChucksTL
5. power3dfx
6. mattg
7. Ant7701
8. Chaptorial
9. Mr. Hyde
10. Seattle CL-S
11. kHmER Co
12. Phipark
13. 3.2 Type-S 03
14. withoutcomp1

MAYBE

1. Darrin
2. Juice
3. JaDia (Once 6spd version is ready)
4. mykenmcnasty
5. CC Type S
6. Chopper
7. Chad T (Once 6spd version is ready)
8. dj5 (Strong Maybe)
9. DHRJDMBA (Once 6spd version is ready)
10. R10Apple (Strong Maybe)
11. J.T.’s 3.2TL (Once 6spd version is ready)
12. El pana/TL32 (Once TLP version ready)
13. pmptx (Strong Maybe)
14. vandy786
15. SatinSilverTypS (Strong Maybe)
Old 02-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Some other info.:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...&pagenumber=11
Old 02-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

We defintley need some more people... Please spread the word and feel free to ask as many questions as needed.. Let us know your status to keep our list updated.. Thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally posted by senojscott
We defintley need some more people... Please spread the word and feel free to ask as many questions as needed.. Let us know your status to keep our list updated.. Thanks
I tried to register on the ACURA-CL Forum and I got an error message stateing that the admin had disabled the registration process. Count me in as a strong possibilty. Also the dyno graph from the CL. Was that tested on a CLS or CL? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

CLS w/ intake and headers..
Yes, they are working on the site I'm sure you'll be able to register later on.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:10 AM

Is there a plug and play unit yet...
Old 02-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Mr
Is there a plug and play unit yet...
If there are at least 20 people in the group buy then they will make the plug and play unit. Im assuming everyone that is a definate is in b/c there will be a plug and play unit, hence the need to get the 20 minimum.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Absolutely... There will be a PnP if we can get 6 more people.. Are either of you guys in?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Instructor

This post is in response to the reply I got in the thread that was deleted. I had been called out on a post I made that disputed another post about power for headers just being on the top end.

OK – here you go

This graph shows the before and after results from my header install on my Corvette. As you can see I only gained 8 peak hp, but if you look throughout the power band, it’s a consistent 25 – 35 hp improvement. You could expect the same results with a header install on any car. Its common knowledge that the power band is where you see the most gains from a header install. This shows exactly what I said in my post in the previous thread.

Now having said that, I’m here to tell you that no one is going to feel a 15 hp improvement. Anyone who tells you they can is full of crap. Maybe on a 100 hp car, but on a car with as much power at the TL-S, that less than a 10% gain. Hell, you can see a 15 hp loss or gain from one dyno pull to the next just from engine temperatures.

On the track a 15 hp gain will be worth 1/10th to 2/10th of a gain – TOPS. To demonstrate my point, when I first installed my nitrous I was running a 50 hp shot. My best run only knocked ½ of a second off my ¼ mile times. It took a 100 hp shot to get me into the 13’s.

As you can see from the cars and modifications in my sig line, I know mods. I have made over 1000 passes on the ¼ mile track over my years.

In addition, the Mustang dyno that the test car was run on is a highly suspect machine. Unlike a Dyno Jet, a Mustang dyno can be manipulated by the operator to show gains that may or may not exist. While I am not saying that this is the case in this specific instance, it has happened with less than honest tuners in the past.

So for those of you who want to buy this chip mod, knock your socks off. If you are expecting this to “wake up” your car, or give you new found power, you are going to be sadly disappointed. The truth is you won’t feel any difference on a 15 hp gain. Cars that are faster than you now, will still beat you after this mod.

Spend your money where it actually can give you some real gains.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

OK, Please stay on topic.. We already know the gains of the headers.. This is for the GB not to argue your points..!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Brian,

If you're talking with any of the TL guys, I did some research today, and the ECU's are the same as the CL, so all 3.2L CL and 3.2L TL guys can participate in the same GB.

Cheers,
Jack

Unichip of North America
www.unichip.us

So ALL TLS can defintley joint the GB group buy
Old 02-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Instructor

OK, Please stay on topic.. We already know the gains of the headers.. This is for the GB not to argue your points..!
I am staying on topic. Your coming in here and asking people to pony up a lot of money for something that they will see no real performance benefit from.

And I might also add that it is certainly suspect that the first batch to be sold will be in a group buy. It would make much more sense for one or two people here to buy the mod, run the car at the track or dyno it to verify that people are really getting what they are buying and not just some snake oil upgrade.

I'm just looking out for the people on this board.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:27 AM

joecooool,

I'm not here to start any flame war, but I just like to ask that have you even taken the time to read all the information that is posted on the A-CL threads before you begin to blindly looking out for members on this board?

Here are some facts:

1. I completely agree with you. People should invest money in Headers first, because it's IS one of the best mods for both the TLS/CLS. But onces you have these mods, having a chip that can optimze your power adders, what is wrong with that? People spend $700 on Comptech exhaust for 1-2HP gain.

2. I am the guy with the test CLS for UniChip. I don't work for them, I'm just another car lover that likes to explore new options for the car I love. So please don't question my "claim" that I can "feel" the difference. Because I can. And I've proved it against another forum local in my area, who in the past have always beaten me, due to the fact that I have heavier rims/stero/bodykit, where as he has lightweight rims/pully/full catback exhuast. But since the Chip, I can be neck and neck with him. This is after serveral runs, as well as switching drivers. But I guess you would have known that if you took the time to read the info.

Again, I am not disagreeing with anything you said about headers for your V8; and I am always greatful for people that takes the time to look out for other forum members.

But please understand that if question the gains is one thing, but calling someone full of crap for being able to "feel" 10-15hp through the powerband, that I don't understand. Because I can feel it.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by joecooool
Its common knowledge that the power band is where you see the most gains from a header install.

Hell, you can see a 15 hp loss or gain from one dyno pull to the next just from engine temperatures.

The truth is you won’t feel any difference on a 15 hp gain. Cars that are faster than you now, will still beat you after this mod.

Spend your money where it actually can give you some real gains.
Interesting take but you should reserve broad statements when comparing completely different engines. A 16 valve push rod V8 with a head design to enhance mid range torque should not be compared to 24 valve SOHC V6 which excellent high flow rate capabilities. Additionally, different header designs (short or long tube) will dictate where the power is made, that is common knowledge. Again, broad and off base statements detract from any potential point.

I would suggest dynoing a J32A2 engine with and without headers before making these asinine claims. The Comptech (and clones) headers on the J32A2 do only start adding noticeable torque above 5500 RPM.

Yes, you can see HP variations on the dyno from engine fluid temperature variations. But then you are dynoing incorrectly. It is standard practice to stabilize the fluid temperatures between pulls.

I agree 15 HP is barely perceptible as it is only about a 6% WHP change. But you again made broad statements about not gaining anything when the results will need to be seen. With the gearing in the CL-S/TL-S this improvement in power could translate into a more of a competitive advantage than you seem to feel is possible. Instead of opinions which are based on unrelated experience, please state some facts or even math to support your claims.

And where would you suggest people spend their own money?? Please don say nitrous as that isn't as cost effective for a street driven daily driver as some would allude. Plus, it is worthless except in straight races.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Tell you what. Instead of me proving that the claims are questionable, why not have them show that the claims are correct. Is it too much to expect real world performance numbers instead of what one member feels in the seat of his pants?

You guys are expecting 20 people to pony up hundreds of dollars based on what? A dyno graph?

I believe that its insane to buy a mod when the supplier can not provide any documentation as to track time improvement. If you look at the leading tuners, thats the first thing they quote.

And where would I recommend someone spend $700 to get the most benefit? For the majority of people, that would be at a performance driving school.

So like I said, if you want to buy it knock your socks off. Just don't expect to have some dramatic improvement in performance.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

You guys are killing this thread..! Why?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Can a mod please edit out all this BS ?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Can a mod please edit out all this BS ?
Now your asking a mod to censor posts warning fellow forum members?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Instructor

This is the dyno from the compech website for headers, notice that there is not too much midrange gain.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Is it too much to expect real world performance numbers instead of what one member feels in the seat of his pants?

So like I said, if you want to buy it knock your socks off. Just don't expect to have some dramatic improvement in performance.
Track times are not always an accurate judge as there are other variables. A dyno is a good measure of increased power in a controlled test.

I am not purchasing this as I have the blower and a different tuning solution; the Unichip is worthless to me. But I wouldn't be spewing this negativity either. Just let people do as they will and let the results speak for themselves.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Instructor

forgot to attach graph. Also I am definately in if the price does come down to the $650 range, at $700-750 I am a maybe.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:13 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joecool, I really suggest you read the whole thread on ACL. I have a TLS and spend more time over there and will back up these fellas. Sure we'd like to see more dynos but there has been plenty of R&D done to get this mod moving forward. Now I don't dispute your automotive knowledge but let people decide for themselves where they want to spend their money. I know you are trying to help but I would hope that the adults here can formulate their own decisions based off of the info provided. I for one have followed the development of this product and trust the people who have lead the charge (Scalbert included - I mention him because he has done as much as anyone to help the ACL community).

I am not on the list because I don't have the cash right now but would be if I did. Power is harder to come by in these cars so every little bit counts. I certainly wouldn't mind having a 315 hp, 250 torque in my TLS (estimated crank with most NA mods). And I do think the chip will make a difference. if I can shave even .1 or even .2 off my times then I am more able to keep up with a stock Z auto or G35s 6-speed. I might be able to get from a mid 14 to a low 14. That makes a difference.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

This is a broup buy.. You're more then welcome to post your opinions but please don't clutter this thread. If you could start a new post stating your opinions on this mod.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Scalbert looked through both options and came up with the EManage is a better option for S/C but this is the best option for non SC cars.. Like stated above please read through all the info on ACL..
Old 02-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Brian,

If you're talking with any of the TL guys, I did some research today, and the ECU's are the same as the CL, so all 3.2L CL and 3.2L TL guys can participate in the same GB.

Cheers,
Jack

Unichip of North America
www.unichip.us

So ALL TLS can defintley joint the GB group buy
I'm confused here - when Jack said all 3.2L TL guys can participate, does that include the regular TL-P? I thought the manufacturer needed a TL-P brought in for tuning before a chip was available? Or did I read his comments wrong?
Old 02-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

No, he was just reiterating that the TLS and CLS will both work..
Old 02-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry for the confusion..
Old 02-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

But YES we still need a Volunteer ASAP
Old 02-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Instructor

-
Old 02-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

hmmmmmmm?????
Old 02-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Getting closer, spread the word the GB is available to TLS :

IN

1. Jonesi
2. Typer
3. Nitin
4. ChucksTL
5. power3dfx
6. mattg
7. Ant7701
8. Chaptorial
9. Mr. Hyde
10. Seattle CL-S
11. kHmER Co
12. Phipark
13. 3.2 Type-S 03
14. withoutcomp1

MAYBE

1. Darrin
2. Juice
3. JaDia (Once 6spd version is ready)
4. mykenmcnasty
5. CC Type S
6. Chopper
7. Chad T (Once 6spd version is ready)
8. dj5 (Strong Maybe)
9. DHRJDMBA (Once 6spd version is ready)
10. R10Apple (Strong Maybe)
11. J.T.’s 3.2TL (Once 6spd version is ready)
12. El pana/TL32 (Once TLP version ready)
13. pmptx (Strong Maybe)
14. vandy786
15. SatinSilverTypS (Strong Maybe)
16. ChinozTL (Strong Maybe)
Old 02-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

No, he was just reiterating that the TLS and CLS will both work..
As long as they are five speed auto, I presume.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

This post is in response to the reply I got in the thread that was deleted. I had been called out on a post I made that disputed another post about power for headers just being on the top end.

OK – here you go
I was expecting to see a dyno of a CL-S, or TL-S, which as you can see by the Comptech dyno, my origional statement you disputed, "With headers, your gains are only at the very top," was correct, as it relates to the application we were discussing in that thread. I really didn't expect to see a dyno from a blown ZO6,... but whatever.

This is a broup buy.. You're more then welcome to post your opinions but please don't clutter this thread. If you could start a new post stating your opinions on this mod.
I'm sorry senojscott, but for some reason the posts in the other thread dissapeared from there, so it got drug back into here. This clutter should have stayed where it was if you were going to start this one,... but again,....whatever.

I would be the first one on your GB list, but I allready have the eman for the S/C'd application.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
My order is in.

To the doubters, and those with questions, please refrain from cluttering this post with opinion, and conjecture, and read the post on A-CL.com. There are literally 100's of posts there by very knowledgeable people going over the Unichip in great detail. Some have also put alot of their own free time testing this one out for absolutely zero personal benefit (Thanx Scalbert )

If you are interested in purchasing, and want to be on the above list, please post here, for everyone else, comment, and respond in another thread.

P.S. The other thread was deleted due to a database corruption this AM. Many posts were lost.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
thank you Mr Hyde.

here was my input from the a-cl thread. for the nay sayers.

Originally posted by mattg
i am IN.

lets get this going guys. we've been waiting for this for a long time and now we have a chance to make it a reality. finally, a PNP piggyback chip w/ solid, documented gains.

i have seen what it can do in person. i won't even get in to how badly i raped Brian at the white city drags... but when we raced again after he had the chip installed he was able to hang right with me. we both have i/h/e, but i have the full UR pulley set, cat back exhaust, and super light 18" wheels compared to his not so light 19's.

this is the real deal.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Extreme Lurker

Can someone just clarify if this woud work in conjunction with a 2000 TL 5 spd?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i don't think so. cl-s/ tl-s only for now.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by CrackPuppy
Can someone just clarify if this woud work in conjunction with a 2000 TL 5 spd?
No, it will not until someone can make it to UniChip for mapping and setup of the chip.. Until then.. Unfortunately no.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:40 PM
O.G.

So I guess it won't work for a 4-speed 99 TL either?

If it does, I am in. If not, I will gladly donate my car for the R&D. But I live in the east coast. Let me know.