Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Entry-level dSLR Recommendations

Old 06-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Involuntary Karatechopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the links! I ran across beachcamera.com... seems to be a reputable site as well.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Have camera, will travel

I can vouch for B&H. I've spent thousands there with no hitches. Excellent service and a no questions asked return policy, all things being equal.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I was at a wedding this past weekend and my good friend had a Rebel XTi and I was using my Canon SD600. The next day we compared photos and I immediately saw a difference in the quality of the compared images.

So now I'm kicking around getting one, but I'm trying to a) Justify the cost b) Determine if a complete photography n00b needs fancy hardware like a DSLR to take good pictures and c) What's the best way to learn how to use something much more complicated than a P&S.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
I was at a wedding this past weekend and my good friend had a Rebel XTi and I was using my Canon SD600. The next day we compared photos and I immediately saw a difference in the quality of the compared images.

So now I'm kicking around getting one, but I'm trying to a) Justify the cost b) Determine if a complete photography n00b needs fancy hardware like a DSLR to take good pictures and c) What's the best way to learn how to use something much more complicated than a P&S.
Canon's manual is actually really great at explaining what all the functions do, and how to use them. The nice thing is that you can always use the XTi as a P&S in a pinch while you're learning.

Canon's website also has some tutorials. I haven't checked them out, but would imagine they're pretty useful.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just recently made the switch from P&S to DSLR (Rebel XT) a few months ago. There's a TON to learn. I plan on find a short class to take, if there's one around here, reading some books, and just playing around with the new camera as much as I can to learn the functions. Plus coming in here to ask the experts questions.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Canon's manual is actually really great at explaining what all the functions do, and how to use them. The nice thing is that you can always use the XTi as a P&S in a pinch while you're learning.

Canon's website also has some tutorials. I haven't checked them out, but would imagine they're pretty useful.
Yes, I've been using the manual also, as I go along and have a question about how to do something.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well after reading this thread I scraped my idea of getting the Nikon D40 and went with the Canon XT, should have it in a couple of days
Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice, you should like it. I know I do.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Still haven't made up my mind on the XT vs XTi

Leaning towards the XTi though.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts

Dennis P. Curtain's "A Short Course in "insert camera name here" " series is pretty good to help, it's a glorified manual with a lot of other information. Also Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson will get you going. Both about $15-$20 each.

I was able to find a Photo School in my area using google "Photo School + Washington, D.C." This Sat will be the last class for my B&W film, they offer many more courses. Also a local Camera Store here, Penn Camera offers many classes in the Spring and Fall. Check with your local stores.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 06-06-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM

I'm in the same boat as you (hence starting this thread), and here's what I've learned so far related to your questions:

a) justify the cost
This depends on what you're looking to do. It can become a VERY expensive hobby, so if you're wary of money sinks, stay away. To get started with an entry-level setup (something you can grow into a little, but isn't way too complicated to begin using), expect to pay $800-1000 for the camera, a lens, and a memory card, and then another $300-500 for another lens, a tripod, etc.

b) Determine if a complete photography n00b needs fancy hardware like a DSLR to take good pictures
Depends on your needs. Do you just want something you can throw in your pocket and occassionally snap some pics for you and friends, or do you want something larger that you'll have to set up a little, and then take gorgeous pictures with?

c) What's the best way to learn how to use something much more complicated than a P&S.
Online tutorials, books, people here... you've got a lot of resources available. I plan on asking a TON of questions when I get my dSLR.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Still haven't made up my mind on the XT vs XTi

Leaning towards the XTi though.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

Note the summary of changes section. The main differences are the bigger/integrated LCD display, dust filtering, and better focusing (9 points vs 7). Whether that's worth the cash is up to you. I'm personally going back and forth between the two cameras myself.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for just $150 more, I'd go with the XTi. I have the XT and love it, but a bigger LCD would be very nice. And the dust cleaning feature and improved auto focus would be worth it too

though I would miss the secondary lcd that displays shot info.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberFive
I'm in the same boat as you (hence starting this thread), and here's what I've learned so far related to your questions:

a) justify the cost
This depends on what you're looking to do. It can become a VERY expensive hobby, so if you're wary of money sinks, stay away. To get started with an entry-level setup (something you can grow into a little, but isn't way too complicated to begin using), expect to pay $800-1000 for the camera, a lens, and a memory card, and then another $300-500 for another lens, a tripod, etc.

b) Determine if a complete photography n00b needs fancy hardware like a DSLR to take good pictures
Depends on your needs. Do you just want something you can throw in your pocket and occassionally snap some pics for you and friends, or do you want something larger that you'll have to set up a little, and then take gorgeous pictures with?

c) What's the best way to learn how to use something much more complicated than a P&S.
Online tutorials, books, people here... you've got a lot of resources available. I plan on asking a TON of questions when I get my dSLR.
hell yea getting a dSLR sucks the money out of your wallet, thank god ive gotten just about everything i need so far

XTi + kit lens, 50.8 lens, 70-300 lens, tripod, bag and memory card.
although im finally realizing the limitations of my gear and want to make a move to 2.8 or faster lenses but those are and i still need to get a speedlite

for me i have the best of both worlds, i have my XTi when i want to take photographs and i have my SD400 when i want to take snapshots

one good site to learn some technique and get critique on your photos is the canon digital photography forums thats if you get a canon.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 AM

I was just talking last night with a buddy of mine, and dSLR's came up. Apparently he has a D200 and some other goodies that are just collecting dust (zoom/macro lenses, bracket-mounted flash, etc), so he brought up the idea of selling it to me. Is this way too much of a camera for someone that's just moving up from a lifetime of P&S cameras?

I mean, I was just looking at cameras like the XTi, D80, etc. I'm worried it'll be like going from a 4 cylinder automatic Civic to a 6 speed Maserati or something.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
The D200 will not be too much - it's faster and more solidly built than the D80, with a vastly superior AF system. If you get a great price on it I'd jump at it. I moved up to a D200 from a D70 and have never regretted it.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:03 PM

werd if i had a chance to jump on say a canon 1Ds mkII as my first camera for cheap, i would've done it
Old 06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Earth-bound misfit

I was just talking last night with a buddy of mine, and dSLR's came up. Apparently he has a D200 and some other goodies that are just collecting dust (zoom/macro lenses, bracket-mounted flash, etc), so he brought up the idea of selling it to me. Is this way too much of a camera for someone that's just moving up from a lifetime of P&S cameras?

I mean, I was just looking at cameras like the XTi, D80, etc. I'm worried it'll be like going from a 4 cylinder automatic Civic to a 6 speed Maserati or something.
Do it, do it. My husband borrowed one from a friend for our sailing trip, and I got to play with it a bit. I was very impressed. Do it.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 PM

I just got back from Best Buy a little while ago to check out the D200. And MAN, it feels great. I've got big hands, so it felt a lot more comfortable than the XTi. And I love the AF... Just have to justify the cost now. He listed out the equipment he has too:

D200 body
normal prime 50mm f/1.8 lens
105mm f/2.8 VR macro lens
2GB flash card
1GB flash card
SB600 flash gun
Bogen 3120B pro tripod with a Bogen 460 (?) ball head

What do you guys think are reasonable prices for this kind of equipment? It's all used, but in like-new condition. I'm mainly interested in the body, lenses, and memory. I just don't want to insult him with some obscene lowball because of my ignorance.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
nnInn

^^ To understand used prices, give this website a shot. www.keh.com you can see what they're selling the items for used, as well as ask them for quote on what the would buy it from you for. You'll have to register for quote, but you can cancel the quote before they ask you send to in.

You can also look at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/catego...Equipment.html, they sell some items used. They'll give quotes as well.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 06-07-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 PM

I was able to find the gun and tripod on keh.com, and the camera body on both sites. Any ideas on the lenses?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 PM
nnInn

No, I couldn't find info on used lenses. keh has 50mm new for $109.00 and the 105mm VR for 759.00??? not sure if I found correct lens.

And this was their quote to buy...body and flash

1 NIKON DIGITAL D200 10.2 M/P WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER (REQUIRES CF CARD ) LN- $889.00
1 NIKON AUTO FOCUS SB600 (GN118) BOUNCE, ZOOM WITH CASE LN- $116.00
Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Do it, do it. My husband borrowed one from a friend for our sailing trip, and I got to play with it a bit. I was very impressed. Do it.
Shoulder devil! This is you, whispering tempting things to me:

Old 06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Shoulder devil! This is you, whispering tempting things to me:

I need to work on that pot-belly.
Do it!!!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Team Owner

I just got back from Best Buy a little while ago to check out the D200. And MAN, it feels great. I've got big hands, so it felt a lot more comfortable than the XTi. And I love the AF... Just have to justify the cost now. He listed out the equipment he has too:

D200 body
normal prime 50mm f/1.8 lens
105mm f/2.8 VR macro lens
2GB flash card
1GB flash card
SB600 flash gun
Bogen 3120B pro tripod with a Bogen 460 (?) ball head

What do you guys think are reasonable prices for this kind of equipment? It's all used, but in like-new condition. I'm mainly interested in the body, lenses, and memory. I just don't want to insult him with some obscene lowball because of my ignorance.
If the equipment is all in great shape, reasonable prices would be

D200 body - $1200
normal prime 50mm f/1.8 lens - $75
105mm f/2.8 VR macro lens - $650
SB600 - $160

Flash cards depend a bit on the speed of the card. You may want to eBay the macro lens - and get one without VR (the Sigma 105mm macro is quite good for $350) for a few hundred less.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
You just need to understand how the three controls effect your photos. Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO all have a different effect.

Aperture: this is the opening or iris of the lens. It's probably the trickiest to understand so I'll get it out of the way first.
- The lower the number, the more open the aperture is, which lets more light in.
- Aperture also controls the "depth of field", or in other words, how deep the plane of focus is. Once you focus on something, a portion in front and behind that subject will be in focus. If you shoot at smaller apertures (i.e. f/8 or f/11), a lot of the foreground and background will be in focus. Large aperture openings (i.e. f/2.8 or f/1.4) have a very shallow depth of field, so your subject is isolated from the background.

Shutter speed: simply put, this is how long your shutter stays open.
- the longer your shutter stays open, the more light will be absorbed by the sensor. Of course, longer exposure times will increase the chance of something moving in your frame, causing motion blur.
- the shorter your shutter stays open, the more you'll freeze the action, but the less light you'll be recording.

ISO: this is essentially the "volume knob" for your sensor.
- The higher the ISO, the more sensitive your sensor is. That sensitivity comes at the cost of higher noise.
- Generally, you leave your ISO at the lowest setting possible and only turn it up if a larger aperture or a slower shutter speed isn't an option.

In general terms:
- Broad daylight is of course very bright, so you'll be using your lowest ISO along with higher F-numbers and faster shutter speeds to prevent overexposure.
- Night time requires long shutter speeds, higher ISOs, and lower F-numbers to record enough light. If you use a tripod and your subject isn't moving, then you can keep your ISO down and compensate with a longer exposure time.
- Sports generally want faster shutter speeds to freeze the motion. In that case you'll want lower F-numbers and possibly higher ISO speeds to compensate.
Keeping it simple like this for a beginner like me is great.

I am looking into getting into photography as well. This thread has been helpful so far.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 AM

Oh hey, another question for you guys -- where do you go for prints? Local print shop? Can places like Walmart or Osco handle prints bigger than 3x5 or 4x6?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh hey, another question for you guys -- where do you go for prints? Local print shop? Can places like Walmart or Osco handle prints bigger than 3x5 or 4x6?
I use snapfish. They have a local Walgreens or whatever do it, then you can go pick it up and not pay for shipping. Or, if you don't have time, get your order shipped right to your house. I've done both and have had no problems.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I use snapfish. They have a local Walgreens or whatever do it, then you can go pick it up and not pay for shipping. Or, if you don't have time, get your order shipped right to your house. I've done both and have had no problems.
I've been using mpix, and have been pleased with the results, and with how quickly they ship even the more complicated orders (like gallery wraps).
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Gonna cost to catch up

Im going to buy an dslr tomorrow. And after reading this, it sounds like i may want to stay away from the D40, which i was thinking about getting at first. Im pretty set on getting the Canon rebel XT 8 megapixel. For someone thats never owned an dslr before, am i making the right choice?? Not wanting to spend over $700 btw
Old 06-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by kyle77777
Im going to buy an dslr tomorrow. And after reading this, it sounds like i may want to stay away from the D40, which i was thinking about getting at first. Im pretty set on getting the Canon rebel XT 8 megapixel. For someone thats never owned an dslr before, am i making the right choice?? Not wanting to spend over $700 btw
It's a very capable camera. I've enjoyed mine!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by kyle77777

I had the original Rebel, they've done nothing but improve with the XT and XTi. It's a solid choice.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:22 PM

Ok, so I bit the bullet and bought a dSLR. My buddy wanted much more than I wanted to spend for my first dSLR ($1200 for the D200 body, $100 for the prime lens, then everything else on top of that).

So I picked up the following for under 1k:
Rebel XTi
Canon 18-55 AF kit lens
Canon 75-300 AF zoom lens
2GB Extreme III CF
Canon Camera Bag
Extra battery
UV/haze filter

I figure learning with these two lenses will be good, then I'll ebay them and get a nice prime/zoom (and eventually a nice AF macro lens).

Thanks for the assistance, guys! I'll post my first pics tonight or tomorrow, critiques/suggestions welcome.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Hey, just thought of another newbie question -- when transporting the camera around in the bag, is it ok to leave a lens mounted? Or is it a good idea to always disconnect/reconnect the lens?

I don't want to wear the lens/body connection out with too much unnecessary wear and tear, nor do I want to have it accidentally loosened by staying connected.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

I leave a lens on mine on all the time. My brother (pro photographer) has always done this as well with no harm to camera or lens. I figure the less you open the body up to the elements the better.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

Its OK to leave the lens on the body. Just make sure its packed away safely.

IMO, a lot of you guys are wasting money running right out and buying a 2nd battery. In all the digicams I've ever had, including a DSLR I have only ever had to buy a 2nd battery once. The reason for that was to replace to the original battery which had finally lost its ability to hold a charge anymore. I've had my Nikon D100 for a long time, and I've ever only had one battery. It holds a very LONG charge. In all honesty I rarely charge. Only when I know I will be using the camera all day.

I would only recommend buying a 2nd battery if you are getting paid jobs with your camera, and then you always want to have a back up.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Gonna cost to catch up

Just bought the canon rebel xt abourt an hour ago! First impression it seems like a very nice camera. But i notice i am going to have to replace the lens pretty soon because it does not zoom in very much
Old 06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by svtmike
I leave a lens on mine on all the time. My brother (pro photographer) has always done this as well with no harm to camera or lens. I figure the less you open the body up to the elements the better.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Siddig
Its OK to leave the lens on the body. Just make sure its packed away safely.

IMO, a lot of you guys are wasting money running right out and buying a 2nd battery. In all the digicams I've ever had, including a DSLR I have only ever had to buy a 2nd battery once. The reason for that was to replace to the original battery which had finally lost its ability to hold a charge anymore. I've had my Nikon D100 for a long time, and I've ever only had one battery. It holds a very LONG charge. In all honesty I rarely charge. Only when I know I will be using the camera all day.

I would only recommend buying a 2nd battery if you are getting paid jobs with your camera, and then you always want to have a back up.

i actually need a second battery on my XTi, i shot about 700 pictures with mixed flash use at a drifting competition, thankfully i had an extra battery cause i ran out.

i guess for the XTi the battery doesn't last very long because of that 2.5inch display

but the 2nd battery i didnt go out and buy it, it came with the rebel XT starter kit that i bought, had a bag, extra battery and uv filter in it
Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 PM

anyways i have 4 batteries now cause the canon grip i bought off someone for my XTi included 2 aftermarket 1000mAh batteries.

Quick Reply: Entry-level dSLR Recommendations